Passport vs. birth certificate for minors

MaiTaiMary

Not since January 23, 2007 they don't. That's almost 10 years ago, and passports have been required for international flights for all ages under the WHTI regulation since then.

Exactly. I know the question has been posed, but I'd really like to know from this poster when she last flew with her kids to Mexico with no passport.

I'd say, if it was prior to 2007, it's a perfect example of "things change" and you can't just make a blanket statement like that.

"risk it"? Just trying to figure out what this big risk is. :confused:

I AM listening! :D All ears. That's why I started the thread. Trying to figure out why somebody would spend that much more money when having a birth certificate for a minor is the same thing.

The family whose last names are different had a special situation. So I can see why it would be easier for them. That doesn't apply to us.

Actually birth certificate isn't the same thing as a passport. One is used to get the other. A passport is a photo ID birth certificate no photo. As someone that has traveled extensively overseas with my children we all had passports. As for Mexico, which you keep using as a reference, may be a little different. However, a passport in general makes traveling easier when photo ID is required plus the risk that from list are talking about is mainly monetary. If you or children get stuck somewhere because they won't let you travel with just a bc then you are spending money and time to get the required documents. It seems irresponsible to travel internationally even to Mexico or to cruise without a passport. That's my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I wish you luck in your travels and hope nothing bad happens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When did you fly with them to Mexico? Since the DHS regulations regarding the WHTI went into effect all international air need a passport. Those under 16 may cross the land border with their birth certificates, but need the passport to fly. We always used birth certificates when cruising with the kids, we were comfortable with the small risk of something happening requiring us to fly home. (And some upscale cruise lines require all of their passengers to have passports also.)

Not anymore.

Now need passport, passport card or Enhanced drivers license.

http://studenttravel.about.com/od/mexicostudenttravel/f/border_mexico.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly. I know the question has been posed, but I'd really like to know from this poster when she last flew with her kids to Mexico with no passport.

I'd say, if it was prior to 2007, it's a perfect example of "things change" and you can't just make a blanket statement like that.

I can't remember the exact year off hand. But my youngest was born in 2007 and she definitely wasn't a newborn. 2010, maybe? Please, please, don't hold me to that date. :o (Just a guess and I don't feel like looking back at pictures.)

I think Mexico and Canadian travel might be different. I dunno.

I appreciate the responses and different points of view. Makes me stop and think about things. I can see why some people might be more comfortable with them, but we're fine with no passports on a cruise in & out of Texas. This'll be our fourth time cruising with the kids. I just thought maybe there was a reason I didn't know about that people got passports for their kids.

When did you fly to Mexico?

The State Department says:

"All travelers including citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda are now required to present a valid passport when entering the United States at any airport as of January 23, 2007. This includes children of any age."

Do you need a passport for cruising in the Caribbean? No.

Now why exactly are you asking questions about the advantages of a passport when you are not interested in any of the answers?

If you need to fly home they need passports. Believe it or not.

Regardless of what the US State Department web site says, I doubt a US citizen would be denied entry into the US for lack of a passport. Provided of course they can prove citizenship.

Regardless of what the US State Department web site says, I doubt a US citizen would be denied entry into the US for lack of a passport. Provided of course they can prove citizenship.

I feel like I'm not helping the thread stay on track by staying this :cool: but...

you're absolutely correct. You can show up at the US border and as a US citizen, they are required to let you enter, even if you have ZERO ID. Of course it could take hours and going through multiple chains of command, but they have to let you in if you are a US citizen.

Whether or not other countries let you in, is a whole other story...

Really?

I doubt they reach a US airport from another country without a passport.

I think I will go with the US State Department's advice when flying internationally.

I'll believe it when I see that on a government website (not that I don't trust the media).

Stand corrected.

It's 15 and younger. 16 yo need adult travel docs

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/us-citizens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I feel like I'm not helping the thread stay on track by staying this :cool: but...

you're absolutely correct. You can show up at the US border and as a US citizen, they are required to let you enter, even if you have ZERO ID. Of course it could take hours and going through multiple chains of command, but they have to let you in if you are a US citizen.

We are talking about FLYING into a US airport. You will not be boarding a plane to reach the airport from another country without a passport. So, no he is not absolutely right.

Land crossings are another story.

Amortize the costs over the 10 year lifespan of a passport and you can see that it is actually a bargain. It's rock-solid ID, proof of citizenship and accepted as a single ID where otherwise you would have to show multiple docs to get the same effect.

Also, once you get it - keep renewing. The fact of a current passport makes the documentation for the next one easy. No need to have multiple docs to "prove" who you are.

And it can incorporate your name change into one ongoing document rather than lots of "birth cert plus marriage licence plus...."

If they were traveling via air they would be denied boarding. That's why boarding agents scrutinize your passport. Given today's heightened security you couldn't get thru the security line even if you got passed the check-in agent without a passport.

For those who are satisfied with closed loop Caribbean cruises, I get why they would prefer not to bite the bullet and spend hundreds of dollars on passports.

On closed loop cruises in the Caribbean, it is important to realize that the US has only 2 consulates (Barbados and Curacao) for all those islands. Should you need to obtain a passport (due to an emergency, due to theft, etc.) travel costs could be much more expensive than a passport.

Edited by capriccio

No US citizen has been able to enter Mexico by air without a passport since Jan 2007, as has been noted by several other posters. So, OP, not sure what you are remembering, as your children couldn't fly there with only BC.

You also must have a passport to fly to Canada.

People get passports because they want to travel, it's the ultimate form of ID, and in case of an emergency, they will easily be able to return back to the US. There have been many threads on CC of people missing their cruise due to delays, and not being able to meet the ship in the next port, as they didn't have a passport, which was required for entry to that port's country.

Edited by 6rugrats

The Border Patrol website is very specific (as one would expect :D) on the type of documentation needed by US citizens to enter the US (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/us-citizens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.):

What documents, identification, and paperwork does a U.S. citizen need to travel internationally?

If you are traveling in the Western Hemisphere (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America):

Air Travel: All U.S. citizens departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere by air are required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport). Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business.) U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air.

Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

• U.S. Passports
  • U.S. Passport Cards
  • Enhanced Driver's Licenses
  • Trusted Traveler Cards (Global Entry*, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
  • Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

*The Global Entry (GE) card is only an ENTRY document and may not be used to enter Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Island.

Military personnel traveling under orders may present photo ID and orders. Family members must present a passport (with the exception of children 15 and younger arriving by land or sea.)

Children: U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

Groups of Children: U.S. citizen children between the ages of 16-18 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with an adult supervised school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate.

For documentation requirements regarding cruises see our Frequently Asked Question "What Documents do I need for Cruises"

Edited by capriccio

The issue is less getting into the US than it is getting on an airplane OR quite a few cruise ships whose company requires that ALL passengers have a passport on ALL itineraries.

Also, a lot of folks are missing the bigger picture where passport holders can take advantage of exceptional international "spur of the moment" vacation packages that are a far better deal than a round trip cruise from Swamplandia.

You've read all the replies so far. There is really no need for a passport for a closed loop Caribbean cruise. If for some reason you have to fly back it might be more difficult without passports, but it can be done with a trip to the US consulate. If you don't want to spend the money don't. The vast majority of mass market cruisers do not have passports.

Yeah, because there's a US consulate on every corner.

Where are you getting that the vast majority of mass market cruisers don't have passports?

The problem is if there is an emergency and you need to fly home and you can't get on a plane because you have no passport. This happened when one of the ships had major problems and they needed to fly the folks home before the cruise was completed.

Amortize the costs over the 10 year lifespan of a passport and you can see that it is actually a bargain. It's rock-solid ID, proof of citizenship and accepted as a single ID where otherwise you would have to show multiple docs to get the same effect.

Also, once you get it - keep renewing. The fact of a current passport makes the documentation for the next one easy. No need to have multiple docs to "prove" who you are.

And it can incorporate your name change into one ongoing document rather than lots of "birth cert plus marriage licence plus...."

Passports are only valid for 5 years for minors, so it's double the cost. If you have no plans to travel via international air with them within that window then it's money down the drain.

The problem is if there is an emergency and you need to fly home and you can't get on a plane because you have no passport. This happened when one of the ships had major problems and they needed to fly the folks home before the cruise was completed.

If you are talking about the CCL ship in St Marten then CBP issued those without passports a letter allowing them to board the plane without a passport. They boarded the planes home at the same time as the passport holders.

We are talking about FLYING into a US airport. You will not be boarding a plane to reach the airport from another country without a passport. So, no he is not absolutely right.

Land crossings are another story.

If they were traveling via air they would be denied boarding. That's why boarding agents scrutinize your passport. Given today's heightened security you couldn't get thru the security line even if you got passed the check-in agent without a passport.

On closed loop cruises in the Caribbean, it is important to realize that the US has only 2 consulates (Barbados and Curacao) for all those islands. Should you need to obtain a passport (due to an emergency, due to theft, etc.) travel costs could be much more expensive than a passport.

I would never suggest traveling internationally without a passport.

But it is a mistake to suggest that one would never be able to board an aircraft without a passport. It presumes standards and diligence at airports around the world that even the TSA has trouble meeting. It also presumes that true emergency situations are never recognized nor handled with compassion and understanding. And, it flies in the face of at least one well reported situation in which many citizens were flown internationally without passports to the US.

Passports are only valid for 5 years for minors, so it's double the cost. If you have no plans to travel via international air with them within that window then it's money down the drain.

Are you saying that a child's passport is double the cost of the adult passport for that same ten year period? This is not true. Although a passport for a child (15 and younger) is only good for 5 years, it costs $80, whereas an adult passport (good for 10 years) costs $110.

2 x $80 = $160

2 x $110 = $220

Thus, 10 years-worth of a child's passport is considerably less than ($60) double the cost of 10 years-worth of an adult passport.

Or, did you mean that a child's passport for 10 years is double the cost of a child's passport for five years? If so, of course that is true.

Your opinion that it is "money down the drain" for me to buy passports for my children is duly noted, thank you.:rolleyes:

DD(10) still has a year left on her current passport, her second. We bought her first when she was just 10 months old for an international flight. Last month, I renewed my DD(14)'s passport for our upcoming cruise, even though we don't have plans to travel internationally by air with our children in the next 5 years. And I wouldn't have done it if it was a waste of money.

Life isn't made up of only what we plan.;) And no one here can properly judge for anyone else whether any purchase is "throwing money down the drain" or not.

I would never suggest traveling internationally without a passport.

But it is a mistake to suggest that one would never be able to board an aircraft without a passport. It presumes standards and diligence at airports around the world that even the TSA has trouble meeting. It also presumes that true emergency situations are never recognized nor handled with compassion and understanding. And, it flies in the face of at least one well reported situation in which many citizens were flown internationally without passports to the US.

Do you have documented proof of this or is this your opinion?

Are you saying that a child's passport is double the cost of the adult passport for that same ten year period? This is not true. Although a passport for a child (15 and younger) is only good for 5 years, it costs $80, whereas an adult passport (good for 10 years) costs $110.

2 x $80 = $160

2 x $110 = $220

Thus, 10 years-worth of a child's passport is considerably less than ($60) double the cost of 10 years-worth of an adult passport.

Or, did you mean that a child's passport for 10 years is double the cost of a child's passport for five years? If so, of course that is true.

Your opinion that it is "money down the drain" for me to buy passports for my children is duly noted, thank you.:rolleyes:

DD(10) still has a year left on her current passport, her second. We bought her first when she was just 10 months old for an international flight. Last month, I renewed my DD(14)'s passport for our upcoming cruise, even though we don't have plans to travel internationally by air with our children in the next 5 years. And I wouldn't have done it if it was a waste of money.

Life isn't made up of only what we plan.;) And no one here can properly judge for anyone else whether any purchase is "throwing money down the drain" or not.

Double the cost of a child's passport since it has to renewed every 5 years. And I said if you have no plans to travel via international air in that time period than it's money down the drain. Obviously if you are traveling with it then it's not a waste of money. I agree that no on can judge another for what they choose since the choice is personal to them, whether they decide to get passports or not. Your choice is your choice and mine is mine, all is good.