EZ Check and FLL/Southwest Airlines?

Coral

I used it Sunday without a hitch. Southwest flight at noon. Got bag tags and boarding pass about 8pm Saturday night.

Well, perhaps there was one glitch. TSA made me go back and print another boarding pass. The agent checking my pass said "...nope. did you just get off Princess?" to which I answered yes. He said for some reason the readers couldn't read the code as printed so I needed to get a new one printed. They had been having trouble with them. No real issue really, but it scared me for a second.

Edited by yoyosma

I used it Sunday without a hitch. Southwest flight at noon. Got bag tags and boarding pass about 8pm Saturday night.

Well, perhaps there was one glitch. TSA made me go back and print another boarding pass. The agent checking my pass said "...nope. did you just get off Princess?" to which I answered yes. He said for some reason the readers couldn't read the code as printed so I needed to get a new one printed. They had been having trouble with them. No real issue really, but it scared me for a second.

Where did you go to print a new boarding pass?

• 8 months later...

We disembarked from Coral Princess yesterday in Fort Lauderdale. Four days prior to end of cruise we received the form for EZ transfer to FLL for $20 pp. We immediately returned it to the Passenger services desk. Luggage tags are normally in stateroom on early evening night prior to disembark.

When we had not received our documents by 8 pm we called passenger services and were informed that SWA had denied our using it because we paid a senior fare. We were traveling with friends, same age, same flights...however they paid $400 less for flights than we did and were approved for the EZ luggage transfer. We paid more money, both in wheel chairs, not informed until last minute that we were being denied. I am beyond angry at SWA. No where did it state that because I paid more money, I could be denied.

On top of that the bus driver had to leave everyone including the handicapped over a quarter mile from SWA terminal. He told those needing wheel chair to wait on bench for skycap. After many minutes we were able to flag down a Virgin Airlines skycap. He informed us that SWA does not come down there until the season begins. He was nice enough to take our luggage and one passenger in a wheel chair to the SWA terminal...the rest were forced to walk that long distance.

We arrive in terminal and told to sit in lobby for an hour as we cannot get boarding pass or check luggage more than four hours prior to departure. However my friends could go right on through as their luggage had gone on the EZ program and they had their boarding passes. I am most unhappy with SWA at this time.

We disembarked from Coral Princess yesterday in Fort Lauderdale. Four days prior to end of cruise we received the form for EZ transfer to FLL for $20 pp. We immediately returned it to the Passenger services desk. Luggage tags are normally in stateroom on early evening night prior to disembark.

When we had not received our documents by 8 pm we called passenger services and were informed that SWA had denied our using it because we paid a senior fare. We were traveling with friends, same age, same flights...however they paid $400 less for flights than we did and were approved for the EZ luggage transfer. We paid more money, both in wheel chairs, not informed until last minute that we were being denied. I am beyond angry at SWA. No where did it state that because I paid more money, I could be denied.

On top of that the bus driver had to leave everyone including the handicapped over a quarter mile from SWA terminal. He told those needing wheel chair to wait on bench for skycap. After many minutes we were able to flag down a Virgin Airlines skycap. He informed us that SWA does not come down there until the season begins. He was nice enough to take our luggage and one passenger in a wheel chair to the SWA terminal...the rest were forced to walk that long distance.

We arrive in terminal and told to sit in lobby for an hour as we cannot get boarding pass or check luggage more than four hours prior to departure. However my friends could go right on through as their luggage had gone on the EZ program and they had their boarding passes. I am most unhappy with SWA at this time.

I don't understand why, when EZcheck was denied, you did not check in online and already have boarding passes...EM

While I would be upset also, I have heard of people with other airlines also being denied. I think there is even a notation that airlines can deny people this or that it is not guaranteed that the airlines will accept you into this program. It may be purely random as some of the people I have seen rejected seemed as normal as one could be.

I have also ran into a situation with another airline (United) where they dropped us off pretty far from the terminal. My mom had a Seeing Eye dog so I was responsible for pulling all the luggage to where the United terminals were. It is a pain - I know. For some reason, the busses have to park in weird places in the terminals I have been in.

I hope the cruise was good!

I can understand their right to deny but to be told it was because I paid a higher senior fare, $400 more than traveling friends does not make sense to me. Also they could have informed us sooner as we had turned the paperwork in four days prior and not informed until less than 12 hours prior to disembarkation.

The bus issue was upsetting only because the driver told us the procedure for being picked up and then be told because is not the season yet. I am just disappointed in SWA and the reasons quoted us for the issues.

Thanks for your replies.

I can understand their right to deny but to be told it was because I paid a higher senior fare, $400 more than traveling friends does not make sense to me. Also they could have informed us sooner as we had turned the paperwork in four days prior and not informed until less than 12 hours prior to disembarkation.

The bus issue was upsetting only because the driver told us the procedure for being picked up and then be told because is not the season yet. I am just disappointed in SWA and the reasons quoted us for the issues.

Thanks for your replies.

It has nothing to do with the price you paid for your airfare. I don't think the ship finds out until the day before who is participating and accepted and who isn't..... I think they find out from all the airlines around the same time.

You can continue to be upset with SWA but this can and does happen with other airlines.

Also remember, this is a courtesy and not a guarantee. There was a time after 9-11 when this type of participation between airline and cruise line was not allowed.

There is a copy of a form on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021336 It warns people that the airline may have difficulty processing some boarding passes and if so, you must check in at the airport. So the possibility is listed on the form you signed up with.

Edited by Coral

It has nothing to do with the price you paid for your airfare. I don't think the ship finds out until the day before who is participating and accepted and who isn't..... I think they find out from all the airlines around the same time.

You can continue to be upset with SWA but this can and does happen with other airlines.

Also remember, this is a courtesy and not a guarantee. There was a time after 9-11 when this type of participation between airline and cruise line was not allowed.

We were specifically told this was due to purchasing senior fare which was significantly higher. Have never seen this offered anywhere before so is my first experience and sorry that it was not a good one. I am waiting to hear from SWA and their reasons for this happening. Passenger services never told us that we could be denied and told us to expect luggage tags early evening. Not trying to argue, just stating what we were informed. I will gladly take back if given a reasonable explanation by SWA.

I don't think that this has to do with the fare you paid. It's just checking in for your flight. Doesn't matter whether you used air miles or paid full price.

What I do think happens is that it's capacity controlled. That's a guess but it's always been impressed on me to return my form ASAP. I always print an extra copy of my e-ticket to submit with the form and highlight anything that needs to be brought to their attention. The people who process the forms are not airline savvy and English might not be their primary language. The easier you make it for them, the fewer problems. Never assume they'll notice anything different or unusual about your booking. A couple of minutes taken to make it clear and easy can save you hours of fixing problems.

We were specifically told this was due to purchasing senior fare which was significantly higher. Have never seen this offered anywhere before so is my first experience and sorry that it was not a good one. I am waiting to hear from SWA and their reasons for this happening. Passenger services never told us that we could be denied and told us to expect luggage tags early evening. Not trying to argue, just stating what we were informed. I will gladly take back if given a reasonable explanation by SWA.

That senior fare being higher on SWA has me stumped. We have yet to see the senior fare being anything other than exactly the same as a non-senior fare. We always check because usually senior prices are less on everything else. Hope that you get a reasonable explanation from SWA and let us know what happened.

When we had not received our documents by 8 pm we called passenger services and were informed that SWA had denied our using it because we paid a senior fare.

Since you did not hear this information directly from SWA, I would not assume that was the reason Princess could not provide the service for you.

I would contact SWA customer service and ask about it. Since EZCheck is a Princess name and not a SWA name, you may have some trouble describing the service enough to reach someone who can help you.

(By the way, I would be upset with Princess on the ship for not letting you automatically know you could not use EZCheck instead of your having to find out for yourself.)

My sister and I just purchased SWA fares for next spring. Honestly, I forgot all about EZCheck, so we paid a premium for automatic check-in ($12.50 each) so that we wouldn't have to worry about it while on the cruise.

If we are willing to pay another $20 for EZCheck so we don't have to worry about our bags until we get to our final destination, is this going to mess us up?

Maddle

you paid more because you are a SR? Your friends probably paid less because they caught a sale. Has nothing to do with age

My sister and I just purchased SWA fares for next spring. Honestly, I forgot all about EZCheck, so we paid a premium for automatic check-in ($12.50 each) so that we wouldn't have to worry about it while on the cruise.

If we are willing to pay another $20 for EZCheck so we don't have to worry about our bags until we get to our final destination, is this going to mess us up?

Maddle

using EZCheck wont get you priority seating like Southwest Early ck in will

I just went to the SWA website and I would guess that the reason on-line check in didn't work was because SWA requires that age verification has been obtained prior to issuing a boarding pass. I wouldn't imagine that the onboard Princess personnel would be familiar with all of the airlines rules as it relates to all of the different fares passengers could book. You might want to go to SWA's website and do a search for Senior Fares and read the faq's. JMHO

using EZCheck wont get you priority seating like Southwest Early ck in will

Well, that's good to know that the money wasn't completely wasted, but will EZCheck still work for us for transporting the bags?

And - forgive me for not knowing this - is the bus transfer a separate charge?

Could we use EZCheck, and take a cab to the airport?

Maddle

Edited by Maddle

Well, that's good to know that the money wasn't completely wasted, but will EZCheck still work for us for transporting the bags?

And - forgive me for not knowing this - is the bus transfer a separate charge?

Could we use EZCheck, and take a cab to the airport?

Maddle

When you use EZCheck, they take your bags and transport them to the airport independent of you, the passengers. So, you may book the bus transfer or you may take a cab or you may hitchhike even! The $20 charge is solely for the EZCheck (plus any airline-assessed luggage charge). You pay extra if you want the Princess transfer. In FLL, it's cheaper and easiest to just grab a cab, as you're minutes away from the airport -- avg. taxi fare, only about $12-$15. Hope this helps.