Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

I always see at least a few people with lanyards. I think whatever makes you happy it is your cruise so go for it. :) I thought we'd use them our first cruise but they told us not to ever punch a hole in the key cards they use on Quantum and some of the other newer ships. They said they won't work if you do.

We did end up using a lanyard with a waterproof bag for our credit cards and money on a couple of other cruises on the beach but it was sort of awkward to swim with. I bought a pair of swim shorts for myself that have pockets and belt loops - who knew they made such a thing for women?! - and I am planning to use what is termed a clip lanyard at my work. It clips to your belt loop and goes in your pocket.

I always see at least a few people with lanyards. I think whatever makes you happy it is your cruise so go for it. :) I thought we'd use them our first cruise but they told us not to ever punch a hole in the key cards they use on Quantum and some of the other newer ships. They said they won't work if you do.

That's actually not true. I was on Anthem twice last year (same type of card) and punched a hole in my card each time and did not break the functionality. You do need to be careful since there is an antenna that runs thru the card and you don't want to punch the hole where the antenna is. But it can be done.

Edited by MisterBill99

I don't mind lanyards, but since I carry my phone and my hand sanitizer as well as my key card and now a player's card, I use one of these neat things. It allows me to just flip the little bag over and play games or read on my phone if I want to. For on shore time, I throw it into a cinch sack that I loop over my rollator.

https://store.charm14.com/cell-phone-purse---xl-c206.aspx?_ga=1.106502922.86708977.1485567890

When I go on cruises with my family my parents or grandparents give everyone a lanyard. The children under about 13 are required to wear them but everyone else makes their own decision. As a 21 year old I choose not to wear it but I like keeping it on the card and hanging the little keychain clip from a belt loop while on the ship. It makes it harder to lose without having something pulling on my neck when I want to do stuff.

I know this thread is old but some of the comments had me rolling! So funny! I just bought myself a blinged out lanyard that I proudly wore the whole cruise! It made everything so easy for me since I was either in a swimsuit or leggings with no pockets! I of course leave it when we're in port and just take my card but whatever. You can say I look like a noob or tourist but I don't care! I can tuck receipts and cash in it and have no worries where I left my card when I've had too many rebellious fishes! [emoji39]

318b14e4e24eabce58a155c54e7b85b5.jpg

Me in the middle with my nerdy lanyard!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel like lanyards are for lazy people. Why are people so against pulling a card out of their pocket when they want to make a purchase. Honestly it comes down to people feeling entitled, get a grip!

Ouch! Someone has it out for lanyards :p Maybe it's not about being lazy, maybe it's about not having pockets in a dress or leggings! My other option is to store it in my bra when I have no pockets, now that isn't trashy or anything :rolleyes:

I also use a lanyard. I do not carry a purse on a ship and typically during the day wear swimsuits- ladies swim suits have no pockets- so if I want a drink while sitting at the pool it is nice to have access to my card. I have found seapass cards on the floor near the pool and many times have given them to a security person . My beach coverups also rarely have pockets. You can also purchase waterproof Lanyards and even take you seapass card in the water.

If a person-has pockets with buttons or zippers and isn't afraid of dropping his/her seapass card- then do not get a lanyard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I feel like lanyards are for lazy people. Why are people so against pulling a card out of their pocket when they want to make a purchase. Honestly it comes down to people feeling entitled, get a grip!

Actually....

Lol, I can't believe I'm commenting on this, but I came across the thread in my search for a PLAIN lanyard to use on our next cruise. The point of wearing a lanyard? If you've been on a cruise ship (or anywhere near any beach ever in your lifetime) I'm sure you've noticed that women's bathing suits do not have pockets? Nor do their cover-ups, sundresses, etc. I will be using one for pool days, and most likely throw it in my bag any other time. I'm far from lazy, but will be thirsty I'm sure ;)

I do however find the bling-ed out lanyards a little too much (for me). But for anyone who uses them - I'm glad you use what you like and hope you don't care that anyone here doesn't like them!

Actually....

Lol, I can't believe I'm commenting on this, but I came across the thread in my search for a PLAIN lanyard to use on our next cruise. The point of wearing a lanyard? If you've been on a cruise ship (or anywhere near any beach ever in your lifetime) I'm sure you've noticed that women's bathing suits do not have pockets? Nor do their cover-ups, sundresses, etc. I will be using one for pool days, and most likely throw it in my bag any other time. I'm far from lazy, but will be thirsty I'm sure ;)

I do however find the bling-ed out lanyards a little too much (for me). But for anyone who uses them - I'm glad you use what you like and hope you don't care that anyone here doesn't like them!

I saw the comment you replied to and was like what- how is wearing a lanyard feeling entitled or lazy?? People are passionate about the craziest things! Walmart had plain lanyards in the automotive section, you may also want to check out the dollar store or Five Below. I like to use a spiral wristlet lanyard as it can fit inside my wristlet wallet when I have it (purchased at Walmart for like $2). Otherwise yup, I'll be in a bathing suit, cover-up, sundress, or exercise clothes so you guessed it- no pockets!

s

LOL you cannot be serious At the pool and around the ship my swim suits and cover ups do not have pockets. Perhaps you are a male. Most men's swim suits have pockets, however you should not submerge your sea pass card in the water

What about a lanyard makes someone look entitled?

Walmart had plain lanyards in the automotive section, you may also want to check out the dollar store or Five Below.

I never thought of checking there! Five Below is on my list too, one of these days when I take a long lunch at work :) Thanks!

Why is it that when people travel around the world or locally that you never see a lanyard anywhere, step on a cruise ship and BANG! On they go

2080f7fc2131de81087d4dd2ad883fe6.png[/quote

Cute Pic!! I think it is because your card is the one stop shop on a cruise. If I am in Paris and want a glass of wine, I pull out my wallet; if I am in Sydney, I most likely have pockets or a pocket book to stop and buy a snow cone; on a cruise, I spend much of my day in a bikini and a cover-up- with no pockets. I don't need a beach bag because I can grab a frosty drink with the swipe of a card and I can reserve a towel right on deck. Plus, carrying a bag is a hassle- its super annoying to balance a buffet plate and a bag (nope, I won't leave it at a table, growing up in NYC, this is a no-no). There is a freedom to just being able to be bagless in a sun dress at a show or dance at the nightclub without a purse. I don't like the full on neck lanyards, but I WILL get them for my children. I use a spiral wristlet lanyard that I can drop in my bag when in port.

Happy Cruising!

Wearing a lanyard is feeling entitled? I feel like a comment like this is feeling entitled and also judgemental . I wear my lanyard for convenience. Doesn't bother me that you stick your card in your pocket. It's not for newbies. It's not for lazy people. It's not for entitled people. You go right ahead and judge. I don't go on a cruise to impress anyone. I go to enjoy myself. I'm assuming I won't be approached by someone like you, as you'll be too busy to lounge by the pool, too busy scrounging around in your pocket for your card and too busy making purchases to bother with the 'lanyard wearing' passengers.

Never have used a lanyard and never will. I think they look dorky and the ones picked out in rhinestones look even worse. Those are my thoughts but they're probably not what you wanted to hear.

Why did you have to respond to this post? Here we are, more than 40 months, 20 pages, and 395 posts later, still talking about lanyards.

Are lanyards that much more important than pretty much every other possible cruise topic? Zeeeesch!!

• 3 months later...

Since I will be swimming at beaches near the ship and wearing a thin sun-shield wet suit all day, even at an outdoor Hotel bar I need to wear a waterproof lanyard with cruise ID, CC, small waterproof camera and cash. Is the HAL ID waterproof plastic?

Is there a waterproof lanyard that will carry all the aforementioned items?

My wet suit doesn't have pockets.

First time civilian cruiser.

Since I will be swimming at beaches near the ship and wearing a thin sun-shield wet suit all day, even at an outdoor Hotel bar I need to wear a waterproof lanyard with cruise ID, CC, small waterproof camera and cash. Is the HAL ID waterproof plastic?

Is there a waterproof lanyard that will carry all the aforementioned items?

My wet suit doesn't have pockets.

First time civilian cruiser.

https://www.amazon.com/HushGecko-Universal-Waterproof-Phone-Transparent/dp/B01EFQWEJO/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1501278009&sr=1-3&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=waterproof+neck+pouch

I don't mind lanyards, but since I carry my phone and my hand sanitizer as well as my key card and now a player's card, I use one of these neat things. It allows me to just flip the little bag over and play games or read on my phone if I want to. For on shore time, I throw it into a cinch sack that I loop over my rollator.

https://store.charm14.com/cell-phone-purse---xl-c206.aspx?_ga=1.106502922.86708977.1485567890

Surfed their and computer said File not found. Could you please try again?

lite seas-

I didn't check to see how old the post was for cooncat_mom, but many people do not continue to follow Cruise Critic after (or between) their cruise(s). I would Google for 'waterproof cellphone neck wallet'. Here I searched coonmom's website, here are their cell phone purses, which are not waterproof but seem to be what she is describing.

https://charm14.com/search?q=cell+phone+purse

The HAL card is waterproof (I've read not to get sunscreen on another ship's card due to erasing/blurring print), as is your credit card. A cell phone as described by cooncatmom will demagnetize your ship's card if carried together. And you say the camera is waterproof. Maybe you just need a swimmers belt bag? Here's one of those which even comes with the small neck unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Pouches-Swimming-Boating-Kayaking/dp/B01DZRO1PE

Edited by crystalspin