Diamond lounge tipping

bmac1

It does make sense that they would be worse off unless they were part of the tip pool.

43 cruises and counting.

It makes more sense to me that this is viewed as a prime assignment, a half step up if you will, and as such probably carries a promise of an elevated base pay made up in part by lounge tips. Similar to jobs I had in college where I was guaranteed XX per hour; if it was not earned in tips it was bolstered by an additional portion from the employer. So a higher guarantee rate, but not necessarily a flat higher rate from the employer.

I don't for a second think lounge servers make less than those in other public lounges.

I'm retired and on a fixed income now. :evilsmile:

I think what threw them off was they don't stock bottles of Corona on the pool deck, just cans.

Glass and pool areas don't mix well[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diamond ambassador came into the lounge once and checked all of our cards.

43 cruises and counting.

We have just got into our JS on independence and read the C&A notes.

2 notes of interest from the Diamond host.

1-Shorts,sandals and swimwear not permitted in Diamond lounge.

2-Only Free photo is 8 by 10 size photo of your choice from your existing printed photograph selection (Standard events only).

43 cruises and counting.

That said, know that, even though the drinks are "free", the servers are NOT getting stiffed. The cruise line actually compensates them as if they were getting the same approximate tip as they would if they were instead assigned to another bar. So, when you see many people not tipping the DL servers, know that there is actually nothing at all wrong with that. It's only because so many of us tip on top of what the cruise line pays them that makes being a DL server an even more attractive post. Servers working other venues rarely benefit from such generous additional tips.

That's not bad, because the cruise line is giving these servers approximately 18% of an $8 drink--about $1.44 per drink based on a share of the approximate number of drinks served in the DL each night...So, that server, with MY additional tip, is actually making about $2.50 for every drink served to me.

Again, the servers are NEVER being stiffed...They ARE getting their tips...They DON'T work for free just because they got assigned to the DL (Were that the case, you could expect some of the worst service on the ship...and, clearly, it's not). BUT, don't let that stop you from giving the additional tip...these guys are, generally, so good they deserve it...

OTOH, carrying around a pocketful of singles when everyone else on the cruise is "cashless" by design is stupid...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't SERIOUSLY believe the servers and bar-tenders get 18% do you? The cruise line takes a very hefty proportion of that tip money. Total tip money collected by the line is parceled out all over the ship using a set formula. In addition, the line feels entitled to a service charge for the accountants, etc. that do the work to apportion the money (using the forumla) to the correct people. The cash handed to a server is actually his.

On one cruise when Royal was using little paper ticket stubs for each free drink, the waiter we had consistently asked if we were going to use the two extra slips we hadn't consumed with him later in the evening. When we said, no, he asked if he could have them. We said sure, and asked him how they helped him. He replied that each one was worth 10 cents for him as part of his total. Try to figure that as 18% per drink! If people weren't tipping, he was getting 10 cents a drink.

If they are serving you well, tip them--the cruise line certainly isn't.

My wife isn't bothered about these threads but when i mentioned this one she pointed out something i had forgotten​ about.

I can but i won't name the ship but it was within the last 12 months.

Basically every night i got some snacks first and gave the waiter $5 at the snack counter and told him what drinks we wanted and he brought them to our table.

After the first drink the service was slow and other people were getting drinks topped up and finally he topped our drink up.

This scenario happened for a couple of nights and i was thinking why am i giving tips.

On the third night i was getting some extra snacks and a coffee as the waiter had walked past us and saw my glass was empty and 10 minutes passed without a top up.

At this point the consierge was at the snack station and queried why i was having a coffee so i reluctantly said i was thirsty and my glass was empty.

I didn't make a fuss and the service was much better after that.

My wife said,so who says if you tip nightly you get better service because we haven't.

I mentioned this because i had forgot until my wife reminded me so no you don't always get preferential treatment if you tip.

43 cruises and counting.

That is interesting. We always tip on the final night (equivalent to about $1 a drink) and we've always had great service despite not tipping as we go. Maybe a tip in advance lets the server off the hook - he's already got your money so he concentrates on someone who still has some money to give.

We have always tipped $1 per drink on the last night of the cruise never have we tipped per drink each night and have never had anything but excellent service.

Opposite. Ire, we tip every drink every night and get great service. I think it's a personal choice.

We have just got into our JS on independence and read the C&A notes.

2 notes of interest from the Diamond host.

1-Shorts,sandals and swimwear not permitted in Diamond lounge.

2-Only Free photo is 8 by 10 size photo of your choice from your existing printed photograph selection (Standard events only).

43 cruises and counting.

No sandals? I wasn't planning on packing any closed-toe shoes.... :(

No sandals? Baloney! I wear Sandals all year round; living in hot climate does not lend itself to closed shoes.

I just got off the Allure this morning. Yes, you can wear sandals and there were many in there wearing shorts too.

On Liberty a couple of weeks ago there was a bar set up in the DL. You literally walked up, stood in line, ordered your drink and there was a tip jar on top.

After initial service they would come by where we were seated and refill drinks and offer to get you more.

You could just sit first but then you had to wait for them to serve the line first.

We tipped at the bar a few times and at the end of the night other times.

No sandals? Baloney! I wear Sandals all year round; living in hot climate does not lend itself to closed shoes.

I just got off the Allure this morning. Yes, you can wear sandals and there were many in there wearing shorts too.

Hooray! Now just to hope I don't get flak for being "too young" to be in there. (y)(y)(y)

Hooray! Now just to hope I don't get flak for being "too young" to be in there. (y)(y)(y)

I think the shoes they're referring to are the $1.98 flip flops.

Consierge never checked but everyone we saw had adhered to dress code.

We have just got off Independence,the waiters were happy when i gave them $2 every time they refilled our drinks.

BTW i never saw anyone else tip the waiters but 1 American tipped the consierge on last night.

44 cruises and counting.

I think the shoes they're referring to are the $1.98 flip flops.

Oooh. Well that won't be a problem, since I can't wear those without constantly falling over my own feet.

If some guest tries to ask for your seapass to verify if you are allowed in, just order a drink from them.

:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

Take an old library card or similar, and spray paint it gloss black. Leave it totally blank and give that to them. Tell them the hotel director gave it to you on boarding day.

You'll see veins explode.

Take an old library card or similar, and spray paint it gloss black. Leave it totally blank and give that to them. Tell them the hotel director gave it to you on boarding day.

You'll see veins explode.

How about a hunk of metal painted like the Amex Centurion card so it'll make a clunking noise when slapped down on the table?