Packing Question for Alaska

SweetPease

We are taking our first Alaska cruise in June and starting to think about what to bring. I know we want layers for excursions, but, what will temps inside on Regatta be like? Will we be comfortable wearing short sleeves around the ship during the day? Don't want to over pack :). Thanks!

No, weat a long sleeve caprilene polo shirt. warm when wet, cool when hot....Patigonia makes them. I wear northface convertible pants with zip off legs and leather hiking boots. Fabric gets wet and stays wet in AK. Have a layer of turtle neck poly-pro and long johns to wear under the pants ( which can convert to shorts. Have a pile pullover and an anorak shell parks that is rain proof winf proof Have a lightweight nylon pair of rain pants, and breathable gloves a knit ot tully hat.. Dont plan on layering with anything cotton...steer clear of jeans... Sox....use Smart wool. Worked in the area for 2 years as a park ranger... know the drill.

On the ship I wear dockers and a golf shirt with a v neck sweater 2 sets or blazer and can pack in a 26" rollie withspace to spare.... Its all very ;p casual

We did our Alaskan cruise commencing on July 4. We had days that were rainy in the 40s and sunny in the high 60s to low 70s.

Shorts and short sleeve shirts can be worn at times. HOWEVER, on board, in may areas it can be very breezy and can feel much cooler. If one goes ashore with short sleeve shirts and shorts, it's all red meat! In most areas, away from the small town centers, the mosquitos are large, viscous, and hungry. Spray may or may not have much of an effect on the critters. You'll have plenty of challenges keeping them out of your eyes, mouth, nose, and face! I never recommend adding your exposed bare arms or legs as additional easy targets.

So my recommendation is to throw in a swim suit if it's nice enough to sit in the sun around the pool or spa hot tub, and save room by leaving the shorts at home. Lighter weight slacks will always be more flexible.

Thanks for the suggestions and information. Had no idea the mosquitos were so prevalent and viscous! Will bring bug wipes along (something we discovered when our daughter was living in Jamaica... take up less space and easy to carry). Didn't really plan to bring shorts; bathing suit was questionable; and, plan long sleeves for ports. Sounds like short sleeves with a light jacket might be ideal while on board. Again, appreciate the input! Happy Sailing to all!

We only ran into mosquitos on a salmon bake lodge floatplane excursion years ago. Huge! They actually seemed to enjoy the flavor of bug spray. Definitely wear long pants and long sleeves. Last year in June the weather was only drizzly a couple of days, mostly mild but some days chilly and most days a little of each. When we went to the Hubbard Glacier, it was spectacular but it was foggy/rainy part of the time. Definitely needed rain jackets, rain pants or ponchos, hats, gloves, waterproof shoes to enjoy it. Sad to have to run inside because of being unprepared. So good you are asking questions now.

Mary

We are taking our first Alaska cruise in June and starting to think about what to bring. I know we want layers for excursions, but, what will temps inside on Regatta be like? Will we be comfortable wearing short sleeves around the ship during the day? Don't want to over pack :). Thanks!

While not clothing, and I'm sure you've already added it to your packing list, (don't forget to start a list by the way) is a good camera, with xtra batteries. :) You are about to see some of the most breathtaking scenery in this hemisphere. My wife and I did the Inland passage 7 day cruise out of Seattle in June/2010 and it's still the cruise (after ten Caribbean cruises) my wife will remark, 'IF we ever did another cruise over again, THAT would be it'.

We are from the south, so I was like you, I did not know what to pack. I did not know about this invaluable website :( When we left ATL is was 97 degrees and w/humidity added 103, soooo we didn't pack the first long sleeve anything. We had a balcony cabin but with a twenty knot wind+ plus it was down to the ship's store and a long sleeve parka for us ! Luckily, we only had rain one day, that was in the early morning at the port of Skagway, the rest was beautifully sunny. I guess we were extremely lucky we didn't notice any pesky flying critters. :) But you are about to take a wonderful cruise ! One you'll always remember (for ALL the right reasons).

Mac

first I taught a young woman whose dad was stationed in Alaska and she told me that there was a reason the locals call the mosquito the state bird!!! She says as soon as the ice melts then the pools left behind hatch swarms of them.

secondly, take along binoculars and if you don't share well, take 2 pairs because you can see cool things from your balcony or from an outside deck--not even talking about tours you might take! (I also enjoyed getting a close up view of houses as we sailed along)

don't forget lotion because after you use sunscreen your body, especially your face and lips, get really dried out (also from the wind.)

you can find bird guides on line if you are birders and down load pictures so you'll know what you're seeing. Sometimes the stores sell out there because all the durn tourists buy them!

if your hands get cold easily take along some gloves. Also take sunglasses--glare on water-- and keeps your eyes protected from wind.

if you don't take boots, then take 2 pairs of shoes because 1 of them will certainly get wet. Also take along in your purse/pack an extra pair of dry socks. You don't want to be walking around in wet socks all day.

fly in early and try to get to Denali....Absolutely stunning.

have fun!

Thanks for the suggestions and information. Had no idea the mosquitos were so prevalent and viscous! Will bring bug wipes along (something we discovered when our daughter was living in Jamaica... take up less space and easy to carry). Didn't really plan to bring shorts; bathing suit was questionable; and, plan long sleeves for ports. Sounds like short sleeves with a light jacket might be ideal while on board. Again, appreciate the input! Happy Sailing to all!

forget the bug wipes.... you need a serious DEET spray.... you spray it on skin and on your clothes too, dont forget sox and lower legs. for ticks..... you will run into Mosquito, worse however are No-seeums that sting, and Black or horse flys......throw in Yellow Jackets too.

If the nights are still below freezing then the problem is minimal, when it is warmer you will be very popular with the locals.....:rolleyes:

Alaska is wild, and when you visit it you enter the food chain....and not at the top.

Speaking of which, in May bears will have come from Hibernation. They will be cranky and hungry and also looking to establish or re-establish territory. This is not a good time to wander deep in the woods. Stick to populated areas away from rivers and streams. The reason I say this is a lot of urban/city folks come to Alaska to see wild life, and bears. .They dont equate the threat of their desired encounter with reality. If you see a Moose great leave the area they are very aggressive to humans.. You dont want to surprise either...its not going to end real well

Seriously, both Black bears ( all colors) are a modest problem, Brown Bears, are the forest equal of giant Pit Bulls,...un predictable. :mad: No problem says you.... well I have encountered both on the outskirts of Juneau...at the viewing ares for the Glacier...where the buses park... not some remote back woods trail. Be wise bears are not pets or cute fuzzy playmates....not over grown teddy bears like Paddington :evilsmile:

There is a real sound reason that the NPS, BLM and USFS has a policy for their people venturing into the woods..... for each 2 workers, there shall be 1 additional man rated marksman armed with a high power weapon ...(.Hey In Gustavus where I worked, every one carried a 50 cal hand gun..any time they left their house.)

... If you still want to explore hire a local guide... who knows the ins and outs of the area . Dont do it on your own.:o

I say all of this, because your chances of encountering all these critters is good, your behavior when you do needs to be well thought out.... keep 200 yards away if you can, and no selfies... take a picture from afar and dont linger watching critters, they consider that a threat. leave

Be safe, Be wise, Be happpy Be safe:D

You never can tell about the weather! Layers are a good consideration. I went to Alaska late May. It was in the mid 60's, low 70's. People were hanging around the pool. We never encountered mosquitoes. I am glad I had 1 long sleeved wool shirt for balcony sitting, water proof tennis shoes, and a light weight rain coat. Whale watching was the best. The train in Skagway - sunny and warm. We rented a motorcycle in Ketchikan - the only place with a light drizzle. Enjoy!

You never can tell about the weather! Layers are a good consideration. I went to Alaska late May. It was in the mid 60's, low 70's. People were hanging around the pool. We never encountered mosquitoes. I am glad I had 1 long sleeved wool shirt for balcony sitting, water proof tennis shoes, and a light weight rain coat. Whale watching was the best. The train in Skagway - sunny and warm. We rented a motorcycle in Ketchikan - the only place with a light drizzle. Enjoy!

There is a shirt you can get in Ketch.....it says " Ketchican rain festival Jan 1 to Dec 31" there is a reason for all that green.

A warm hat and gloves came in very handy while spending a very sunny but cold day at the Hubbard Glacier!

Based on a suggestion from this board, I took a collapsible back pack and used that when going ashore to keep extra clothing layers and camera batteries. It was a great suggestion so I like to share.

Wow! Am I glad I asked this question... so much good advice and many suggestions! Thank you EVERYONE for the input. We have indeed started a list and have heard from multiple friends and relatives about the spectacular views (not to mention turning green with envy over the beautiful photos they shard upon return). So excited about this opportunity and don't want to miss anything. Hawaiidan, the only land tour we will be doing is the Mendenhall Glacier. Thanks for the heads up about seeing bears there. We will be sure to be on the look out and to steer clear of any bear or moose we may see :) We've booked a seaplane, the White Summit Pass Train, a whale watch and a wildlife catamaran tour.

Another thought... has anyone ever worn rain boots (women) instead of hiking boots? Are they comfortable enough for moderate hiking? Get too hot? We aren't doing a lot of walking most days, so wasn't sure if this would be a good alternative for waterproof shoes. Thanks!

I once went to Alaska in June and it was hot and dry. The locals were flabbergasted (especially in Ketchikan), and there's a photo of me, in a swimsuit, by the pool, with snow-covered mountains in the background. So check the forecast right before leaving and bring a variety of options. Also, if it's warm early in the season and there's a lot of snow melt, expect mud.

Also, regardless of regular weather, when you're doing scenic glacier cruising, the temps drop and you'll need gloves, hat, multiple warm layers.

Enjoy!

Another thought... has anyone ever worn rain boots (women) instead of hiking boots? Are they comfortable enough for moderate hiking? Get too hot? We aren't doing a lot of walking most days, so wasn't sure if this would be a good alternative for waterproof shoes. Thanks!

you may need something with a good tread on them in case the ground is slippy ..not sure rain boots would work in that case

SweetPease.... NO on the rain boots, your foot will slop around and its easy to sprain you ankle... Plus they dont sweat and you do! Moisture build up will blister your feet...HOT

The best boots or shoes are a ankle high leather with gortex inners... Leeather treated with good treatments like shoe dri, are better than the fabric shoes and boots . ( the fabric boots were developed for arid warm climates...) You want leather...and its not just for this trip its a good investment My boots last over 18 years, and have been used for work, in snow, rain, climbing, hiking, walking....look at REI web site they have boot and shoe selection guides and the best quality outdoor shoes.... NO rubber or vinyl :mad:

... When hiking you want ankle high support, even for low impact level hiking.... the look larger and heavier but they are 3 times more comfortable. Light weight /light duty boots and shoes send every little bump and shock to your knees and feet .. slightly heavier boots absorb the shocks.. and at the end of the day you feel so much more better with dry, rested and supported feet. Worried about weight... I wear mine on the plane....;p

For rain gear....I suggest the ultra light Sierra Design Parka shell and rain pants it all stuffs in a tiny stuff bag 4 inches long by 2 inches... weight 9 0z !! Search for it its all you need with a layer system its also vented. Best shirts are Mountain shirt my Mountain Hardware... vented North Face too. Perfect travel shirts

In travel in anywhere in the world. urban to willd it is of importance ,,,critical to your enjoyment... as to how you dress. One good set, North Face convertable Pants, layer, insulation, wind rain shell can be worn in Alaska or Rome, Boston or Kenya, The Sahara or Machu Pichu...:hearteyes:.. If you get GOOD gear it will work everywhere... no need to worry

1 pair convertable North face pants

1 set poly pro underware/ top/ bottom

1 pullover capriline polo shirt long sleve

2 Mountain shirts by North face or Mt Hardware

1 good zip up Pile pullover or zip

1 set of Sierra Design rain pants/shell parka

2 pair smart wool sox

1 pair Mt Hardware climbers gortex breathable gloves

1 knit hat line a balaclava design

1 pair good leather high top boots

1 pair teva water proof sandal

good Polarized dark glasses

and a day pack to carry in... I like Marmot ...

Thats your travel list world wide, never goes out of style and lasts a lifetime:D