Disembarking procedure

Jetlagged787

When you arrive back in port, you have two options: Most passengers put their checked baggage outside their cabin doors the night before and reclaim them in the baggage hall after they disembark the ship. The other option is to 'self disembark. This means you do not put out any baggage the night before. Instead you elect to manage all of your luggage yourself, leaving the ship before they start calling zones to debark. You will not have any assistance, cart for suitcases. You may have to get them down the stairs as elevators will be really crowded. This is an option chosen by peope wh have early flights, or a long drive ahead of them. EM

Thanks Essiesmom. Option one for us then as we're in no hurry to get off as we don't fly until late afternoon.

Remember to keep a small carry on for your medications, change of clothes and toiletries to be packed in the morning.:)

Thanks Essiesmom. Option one for us then as we're in no hurry to get off as we don't fly until late afternoon.

Just be aware that whether you do self disembarkation or not, you will still need to be off the ship typically by 9:00 - 9:30 AM to allow the ship to clear customs, turn it around with stateroom cleaning, and get it ready to begin boarding the new passengers which usually begins by around 11:00 AM. They also usually want you out of your staterooms by about 8:00 - 8:30 AM for the stateroom attendants to have access.

So either way your time on board that final morning will be limited, so plan to be up early, have breakfast, and expect to be off the ship by about 9:00 or so. With a late flight as you indicate, depending on your disembarkation port, maybe see if the ship offers any local excursions after you disembark to help pass the time.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Unless you need to be OFF the ship at 7am....put your bags out the night prior (keeping a bag for what you're wearing to dinner and your toiletries) and keep clothes for in the morning.....

It's just much easier than trying to schlep your bags off the ship yourself. Just make sure you have what you need for that evening and then departure morning! Of course, you'll keep any and all valuables with you at all time! Never check those things! Oh...and LOCK the bags you're putting out.....anytime your bags aren't in your possession, they should be LOCKED!

I have just read on a thread the term, "self disembark."

For a newbie, can someone explain this term please and tell me what the alternative way is to disembark?

Others have mentioned "groups" and luggage outside the cabin...

When you do your on-line checkin, one question is how you are getting from arrival port to your next destination. Air? Train? etc. And what time is your flight scheduled, etc. Celebrity will use this information to establish priorities for disembarkation. Giving priority to those with early flights to catch, modified by giving higher priority to some passengers. (Suite customers, those with more "status" in Captain's Club frequent-sailor points, etc, and those who are taking a ship-sponsored tour. None of this except the tour option has affected me directly so I haven't paid attention to the details. Just note that priority depends on need [airline departure schedule etc.] and on less tangible factors.)

A day or two before arrival you will receive a note informing you of your group number for disembarkation, with time and place. E.g., you might be in Group 18 meeting in such-and-such a lounge at 8:30am for a departure from the ship at 8:45am. If you have a problem with the scheduled time, go to Guest Relations the day before, they will probably be able to switch you to a different group at a different time.

You put your main luggage outside your door by 10:30-11:00pm the evening before. You'll see it again once you are off the ship in an area with the luggage for all others in Group 18. On the morning of, it seems chaotic, it often is chaotic. But, as far as I know, every passenger who has ever boarded a cruise ship has eventually gotten off said ship and most get reunited with their luggage, so relax and go with the flow. Just don't add unnecessary stress by booking an early flight with an unrealistically short interval between scheduled arrival at the port and scheduled departure on your plane.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

When you arrive back in port, you have two options: Most passengers put their checked baggage outside their cabin doors the night before and reclaim them in the baggage hall after they disembark the ship. The other option is to 'self disembark. This means you do not put out any baggage the night before. Instead you elect to manage all of your luggage yourself, leaving the ship before they start calling zones to debark. You will not have any assistance, cart for suitcases. You may have to get them down the stairs as elevators will be really crowded. This is an option chosen by peope wh have early flights, or a long drive ahead of them. EM

Yes...this is usually how it works....however....Recently off the ROS Alaska and couldn't believe how "many" people had large numerous bags clogging up elevators with them...they obviously had opted to keep their luggage regardless of the timeframe they were given to depart and had no concern with the tie up this created onboard...This was the first time I had seen it this bad...This seemed to create a hardship for those we saw with walkers, wheelchairs and us who were traveling with a toddler in a small stroller :eek::eek:

Remember to keep a small carry on for your medications, change of clothes and toiletries to be packed in the morning.:)

Remember your bag will need to go out the night before so this pretty well a must.

Thanks everybody for the detailed responses.

I did realise that we would have to be off early. As we have no pressing need to hit the dock running, it does mean that our exit will be more relaxed and we can stand aside to make way for others whose need to disembark is more urgent.

That's another item crossed off the 'To do' list but this newbie will be back with more questions. Thank goodness for the Internet and forums populated with such helpful folk as are found here. :)

Thanks everybody for the detailed responses.

I did realise that we would have to be off early. As we have no pressing need to hit the dock running, it does mean that our exit will be more relaxed and we can stand aside to make way for others whose need to disembark is more urgent.

That's another item crossed off the 'To do' list but this newbie will be back with more questions. Thank goodness for the Internet and forums populated with such helpful folk as are found here. :)

I sometimes wonder about that.

We didn't have all this info at our finger tips when we started cruising and I think the learning as we went and anticipation was half the fun.

Some people put their bags out early. We tend to wear dressier shoes for dinner than we do on our travel day so although we pack before dinner we make sure that we leave room and time to get our dress shoes in our luggage before putting it out.

Some people put their bags out early. We tend to wear dressier shoes for dinner than we do on our travel day so although we pack before dinner we make sure that we leave room and time to get our dress shoes in our luggage before putting it out.

Off the subject I realize but your comment prompted a thought. As a lot of people do, we store our suitcases under the beds but leave one near the side for easy access. During the week we fold and put our dirty clothes in that suitcase, and when filled, start with the next.

By the last day we are mostly packed with little left to do other than to put our departure clothes and items in our carry on and pack our shoes and other miscellaneous items which - as you - we do before dinner.

Makes the last night very relaxing and with most of the night free to enjoy the last night on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Off the subject I realize but your comment prompted a thought. As a lot of people do, we store our suitcases under the beds but leave one near the side for easy access. During the week we fold and put our dirty clothes in that suitcase, and when filled, start with the next.

By the last day we are mostly packed with little left to do other than to put our departure clothes and items in our carry on and pack our shoes and other miscellaneous items which - as you - we do before dinner.

Makes the last night very relaxing and with most of the night free to enjoy the last night on board.

This is pretty much how I do it as well. The last night is pretty much a relaxed evening as everything is done by that time.

I have a system to. I throw my dirty clothes in a laundry bag and shove the bag in the suitcase on the last day. I fold any dresses that I might have worn only for a couple of hours and any clothes that were never worn and put them in the other suitcase.

My husband does not want to see our suitcases until he absolutely has to. :)

I'm sure your way eliminates having to sit on the bag prior go zipping it up. :eek:

As a first time cruiser, you will most likely overpack, so the easiest way will be to put your luggage out the night before and not have to rush in the morning.

P.S. I like the idea of packing dirty clothes as you go along day by day.