Are crew getting your automatic tips on P & O ships?

Jezzer7190

And the crew, who after all want more, are telling you the truth and not just what they hope will get more:confused::confused:.

And to be fair if the line is stiffing the crew do you think they'll tell you that.

Sheesh some people will believe anything.

See in the press today that the consumer publication 'Which' has an article questioning the compulsory charge to print your own theatre tickets.

It relates to lots of 'sneaky' charges from all manner of organisations including banks, insurers, letting agents.

Quote: Director of Policy and Campaigns at Which?, Alex Neill, said: ‘Companies are legally obliged to show all mandatory fees upfront. But some firms with sneaky extra fees are making their products and services look cheaper than they actually are.

‘Having fees included in the headline price would make it easier for consumers to see what they are paying for and compare like with like. Some charges seem so trivial that we’d expect them to be free.'

It goes on to highlight the situation re charges for pre-booking plane seats and on cruise lines too - gratuities/service charge/tips.

Which? is critical of the budget airlines that have introduced seat advance reservation fees, which can be £10 per traveller.

It said: ‘This is an optional charge, but appears way out of proportion to the cost, and hits families particularly hard.’

The consumer group says cruise companies appear to be taking advantage of the tipping tradition.

Cunard, Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean all invite passengers to add a tip to the bill when people have a drink. But they then add a service charge to your bill at the end of the cruise.

Saga and Thomson both include standard service charges in the initial booking cost, leaving any other tips entirely at your discretion.

Which? said: ‘If a service charge is for service, then what are the tips for? These charges need to be more transparent.’

Interesting.

[/i]

It goes on to highlight the situation re charges for pre-booking plane seats and on cruise lines too - gratuities/service charge/tips.

Which? is critical of the budget airlines that have introduced seat advance reservation fees, which can be £10 per traveller.

It said: ‘This is an optional charge, but appears way out of proportion to the cost, and hits families particularly hard.’

The consumer group says cruise companies appear to be taking advantage of the tipping tradition.

Cunard, Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean all invite passengers to add a tip to the bill when people have a drink. But they then add a service charge to your bill at the end of the cruise.

Saga and Thomson both include standard service charges in the initial booking cost, leaving any other tips entirely at your discretion.

Which? said: ‘If a service charge is for service, then what are the tips for? These charges need to be more transparent.’

Interesting.

Another example of this is the charge that P&O add to book seats on the Caribbean fly cruises which I think is £20pp each way. If I understand it correctly this money goes to P&O as they have already chartered the plane.

Edited by bee-ess

This old nut again? Dejavu? :eek:

For the last time.... Leave the automatic tip in full and tip heavily with cash for excellent service...;)

Before wading through yet another 'Gratuity' thread I'll just say Good on you for this comment.

Exactly what i would do.

No ifs, no buts, no excuses.

And the crew, who after all want more, are telling you the truth and not just what they hope will get more:confused::confused:.

And to be fair if the line is stiffing the crew do you think they'll tell you that.

Sheesh some people will believe anything.

Lovin it.:eek::eek:

Before wading through yet another 'Gratuity' thread I'll just say Good on you for this comment.

Exactly what i would do.

No ifs, no buts, no excuses.

I didn't think my post referring to a news article, or many comments on this thread, are all about whether or not gratuities should be paid - rather how those gratuities are distributed and the wish to have some transparency.

I have no issue regarding paying my grats but would like to know if my steward to whom I gave an 'excellent' rating will receive all of his/her share of the gratuities I have paid or whether other factors may reduce that amount. And in any case what is the amount?

Perhaps if you'd read all the thread, you would have seen that there has been some balanced discussion which has not been about 'stiffing the staff' which seems to me to be the default put down to stifle discussion. Although I concede that is the stance of some - but should the rest of us not feel free to comment because we disagree with some posters' viewpoint?

I still think the article regarding transparency of costs is interesting.

I didn't think my post referring to a news article, or many comments on this thread, are all about whether or not gratuities should be paid - rather how those gratuities are distributed and the wish to have some transparency.

I have no issue regarding paying my grats but would like to know if my steward to whom I gave an 'excellent' rating will receive all of his/her share of the gratuities I have paid or whether other factors may reduce that amount. And in any case what is the amount?

Perhaps if you'd read all the thread, you would have seen that there has been some balanced discussion which has not been about 'stiffing the staff' which seems to me to be the default put down to stifle discussion. Although I concede that is the stance of some - but should the rest of us not feel free to comment because we disagree with some posters' viewpoint?

I still think the article regarding transparency of costs is interesting.

Obviously, you have taken a great personal interest in this article.

Therefore, for the sake of a balanced view, you must have directed your concerns, and/or thoughts, to P&O and/or Carnival in addition to posting on CC.

It would good if you posted here their substantive detailed responses to your various missives.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Perhaps an informative explanation of the gratuities scheme in place of the vague current statements would suffice. P&O ask for the grats, I think it reasonable they outline what they do with it - why don't they? And a customer asking for it is going to elicit the details..........??? As if!

Perhaps an informative explanation of the gratuities scheme in place of the vague current statements would suffice. P&O ask for the grats, I think it reasonable they outline what they do with it - why don't they? And a customer asking for it is going to elicit the details..........??? As if!

However, your missives would place actual, and legitimate, concerns on the record, and for you to then kindly post the Line's replies would be appreciated.

I'm with Kruzseeka in that whilst we are happy to pay gratuities I would personally like to understand more about how this works. This is because I want the amount I tip to be paid in full based upon my experience, there are various rumours about how the questionnaire works which would indicate that the tips are reward based and are determined through average responses, which is what I object to. These rumours stem from fellow CC members who I have no reason to doubt and the information which has come to them. Should I have to go to P&O for clarification? No, but I did. On the 16th May I asked whether gratuities were proportionately paid according to an averaged rating on questionnaires and if a passenger removed gratuities and pays direct whether the member of staff has to pay them back. The short response stated that gratuities are evenly distributed and that staff are not required to pay back direct tips if you opt out. I asked a further question on the 19th May, would my steward and waiter get the full amount I pay or would they get a share of the total collected, the response was that the individual gets the amount I choose to pay. I am unsure how the individuals get the amount you pay them but the tips are also distributed evenly, the responses seemed somewhat contradictory but I left it there. Do I trust the system, sadly, no I'm not sure I do.

Edited by Florry

I'm with Kruzseeka in that whilst we are happy to pay gratuities I would personally like to understand more about how this works. This is because I want the amount I tip to be paid in full based upon my experience, there are various rumours about how the questionnaire works which would indicate that the tips are reward based and are determined through average responses, which is what I object to. These rumours stem from fellow CC members who I have no reason to doubt and the information which has come to them. Should I have to go to P&O for clarification? No, but I did. On the 16th May I asked whether gratuities were proportionately paid according to an averaged rating on questionnaires and if a passenger removed gratuities and pays direct whether the member of staff has to pay them back. The short response stated that gratuities are evenly distributed and that staff are not required to pay back direct tips if you opt out. I asked a further question on the 19th May, would my steward and waiter get the full amount I pay or would they get a share of the total collected, the response was that the individual gets the amount I choose to pay. I am unsure how the individuals get the amount you pay them but the tips are also distributed evenly, the responses seemed somewhat contradictory but I left it there. Do I trust the system, sadly, no I'm not sure I do.

Thank you very much Florry for posting your attempt to get clarification - although, like you, I'm not sure I'm much the wiser.

Am I mistaken in thinking that once upon a time they quoted the actual amounts per day for steward, waiter, assist waiter and perhaps the Maitre d'? Was that suggested tipping levels? Perhaps that was a different cruise line.

Thank you very much Florry for posting your attempt to get clarification - although, like you, I'm not sure I'm much the wiser.

Am I mistaken in thinking that once upon a time they quoted the actual amounts per day for steward, waiter, assist waiter and perhaps the Maitre d'? Was that suggested tipping levels? Perhaps that was a different cruise line.

Hi [emoji4] yes it was an amount per day and I think this still applies but would need to go back and read the small print as it does change.

the responses seemed somewhat contradictory

Because the person in P&O customer services hasn't got any more of an idea what is going on than you do, and is simply plucking answers from a script.

The script has been prepared by someone who does know, but want the truth to get out. So the script provides answers that mean nothing.

Hi [emoji4] yes it was an amount per day and I think this still applies but would need to go back and read the small print as it does change.

Thanks. :) I thought I'd seen it somewhere. Wonder why they don't give a similar breakdown now - perhaps because it's not that straightforward. I just question why they persist in being so cagey.

I just question why they persist in being so cagey.

Perhaps they are worried if they told the truth there would be a hell of a stink.

Remember last year when quite a few of the large UK restaurant chains were strongly criticised when it was exposed that they had been using discretionary service charges to subsidise the wage bill, rather than the service charge going to the staff on top of their wages.

Do P&O's vague statements reassure you that they are not up to the same trick?

This is quite an interesting read, his blog has some good points. http://crew-center.com/carnivals-senior-cruise-director-we-need-look-closely-removing-crew-gratuities

That's Carnival cruise lines.

The author seems surprised that passengers were removing the gratuities, or service charge or whatever they are calling it this month.

Will they never learn, as long as tips are capable of being removed some passengers will always accept the offer gratefully.

What to do about it? Simple really, either make them mandatory or add them to the fare. I believe they will get it eventually.

Oh, and I won't charge them for advice just this once.

David.

The only way round is to include it in their prices. There is always some pompous people who feel they have the higher ground and love talking down to people who don't agree with them. If people want to pay fine if people want to take them off fine, but keep please keep away from sarcastic comments or by good you are by the fact that you always keep tips included.

What to do about it? Simple really, either make them mandatory or add them to the fare. I believe they will get it eventually

No they won't, because that just creates more problems.

You can't make it mandatory in the EU without including it in the fare.

If one line includes them in the fare and others don't, they just look expensive so people book with the others.

What they will do is two things -

Firstly leave them as discretionary but increase the charges to take account of the non payers. You have already seen P&O do this.

Secondly make it difficult to adjust them. For example NCL will now not let you adjust or cancel the charges on board, but you must contact customer relations with your request after you return. If they agree with your request they will return the charges.

There is a Facebook post today by a lady who got on Britannia this afternoon, apparently she went straight to customer services to cancel her tips and got told she couldn't take them off until the 3rd July (7 days). I wonder if this is going to be the new norm, its not likely they had bad service in the few hours they had been aboard.