Evening Chic in Europe

chrissie p

We are sailing on the Reflection out of Rome on the 16th May. We sailed on the Silhouette last year and my husband wore his tux on the formal nights. Now that evening chic has been introduced we are wondering whether to pack it this time or stick with just smart shirt and pants. As the Celebrity ships have now started their European summer cruises I was interested in any observations that people may have in the respect to what is being worn on these cruises on the evening chic (x-formal) nights.

Looking forward to my European Cruise this summer.

I love looking at the the great shoes the European women wear. Very stylish and this year I will buy a new pair in Barcelona after the cruise:)

As other have said, evening attire is everywhere from casual, chic, stylish cocktail dresses and very few formal gowns for women. Men wear at least dress shirts, tie for evening chic .

Thanks everyone for your replies,. I think I'm going to leave the tux snd long dresses at home but we'll still enjoy dressing up and I'll still be packing the twinkly tops (mine not his). Can't wait - I can almost taste the expresso martinis 🍸

We are sailing on the Reflection out of Rome on the 16th May. We sailed on the Silhouette last year and my husband wore his tux on the formal nights. Now that evening chic has been introduced we are wondering whether to pack it this time or stick with just smart shirt and pants. As the Celebrity ships have now started their European summer cruises I was interested in any observations that people may have in the respect to what is being worn on these cruises on the evening chic (x-formal) nights.

Welcome to cruise critic :) I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine. Hubbie is leaving his Highland dress (Kilt) at home this time, helps with luggage allowances as we are on the same cruise as you but also doing the one before :)

Maybe you would like to join the roll call for this cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49852890&posted=1#post49852890

See you onboard :)

Edited by DebbieMacG

Just off the Eclipse TA and almost everyone dressed nicely, not just for Evening Chic but every night. Of course there were the few who seemed to really enjoy looking like they were going to dig the garden or wash the car but they were definitely in the minority. One lady dressed in beautiful long gowns every night. She had some beautiful dresses and quite obviously enjoyed wearing them. Go with your own style, it's all about YOU.

Welcome to cruise critic :) I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine. Hubbie is leaving his Highland dress (Kilt) at home this time, helps with luggage allowances as we are on the same cruise as you but also doing the one before :)

Maybe you would like to join the roll call for this cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49852890&posted=1#post49852890

See you onboard :)

Luggage is my concern too. We want to travel light because we are coming from far and taking 2 flights to get to the embarkation port. I will be planning my outfits very efficiently, so that I bring the minimum amount of shoes, pants and accessories. I might consider packing one dress, but only if it will go with the shoes I already plan to bring! More likely I will pack very few pants, but several tops (some with a little sparkle for evening) that coordinate. Hubby never, ever wears jackets except to the occasional wedding or funeral, and they just take up too much luggage space, so glad to see he won't need one. If there were still formal nights we'd probably just skip them, but it's nice to know we don't have to.

The Med is very hot in June July August so you will need very very light clothes for daytime, thus allowing you more of your baggage allowance for your night time dresses etc. Europaen cruises on Celebrity are very dressy nights in general.Enjoy your trip.

With luggage concerns, since they started the Evening Chic, my husband plans on wearing a very nice polo shirt (not the golf type ones) with dark pants and dress shoes for evening Chic. I will wear nice black pants with a sparkly type top. In the past, he has alway worn a suit with dress shirt and tie, but considering that "designer jeans" are now considered Evening Chic, I figure what he is wearing will be fine. We are in our early 60's and would not wear "designer jeans". We are going out of Venice, spending 3 nights pre-cruise before a 12 night cruise. We don't want to lug an extra bag between the charges on the airline and having to get over bridges to get to our hotel pre-cruise.

OP, we are on the same sailing and the two men in our group will be wearing tuxes on both chic nights.

Based on our last year experience, all British people wear tuxes. We had a lot of tuxes around on Silhouette.

B
ased on our last year experience, all British people wear tuxes. We had a lot of tuxes around on Silhouette.

ALL British people wear tuxes????? Did you poll them all while on board? :rolleyes: And last year the dress guide did not include evening chic so what folks wore last year is actually irrelevant...:D

ALL British people wear tuxes????? Did you poll them all while on board? :rolleyes: And last year the dress guide did not include evening chic so what folks wore last year is actually irrelevant...:D

On our sailings out of Southampton, almost all men, Brits or not, wore Tuxes. The British cruise lines on formal nights require Tuxes or suits with ties. I would imagine even with the evening chic relaxation that the majority of Brits will still be wearing Tuxes or suits. We will find out in 2 weeks when we board Eclipse from Southampton.

On the Reflection transatlantic ending in Rome in April the "Chic" nights were a very mixed bag. I saw very few tuxedos and even fewer elegant formal gowns. The majority of men were in shirt and ties, maybe with a suit coat/sports coat, and women in pants and sparkly tops. Some people weren't even that "dressed up". But, as far as I could tell, everyone looked well groomed and clean, and were having a great time. :)

On our sailings out of Southampton, almost all men, Brits or not, wore Tuxes. The British cruise lines on formal nights require Tuxes or suits with ties. I would imagine even with the evening chic relaxation that the majority of Brits will still be wearing Tuxes or suits. We will find out in 2 weeks when we board Eclipse from Southampton.

We're on the Eclipse in July going to the Baltic. I will be wearing my Tux on both Evening Chic nights. I hope you report back after your cruise with your observations.

We got off the Silhouette in Amsterdam on Monday after 22 days. There were very few men wearing tux and suits. Some men wore sport coat and no tie. Maybe 10 to 20 percent tops. Most men wore sport shirt and slacks. Woman seemed to wear cocktail dresses and saw a lot of slacks.

We got off the Silhouette in Amsterdam on Monday after 22 days. There were very few men wearing tux and suits. Some men wore sport coat and no tie. Maybe 10 to 20 percent tops. Most men wore sport shirt and slacks. Woman seemed to wear cocktail dresses and saw a lot of slacks.

It is always good to hear from someone that is actually observed other cruisers, rather than those that are speculating.

There must have not been any British men onboard cause as we all KNOW they ALL wear tuxes! :D

Thanks for this very helpful post. Husband is trying to decide whether to pack his suit or just black sport coat. We always take a garment bag on the plane so baggage really isn't an issue, but i think he looks great in a sport coat and a crisply starched shirt.

We got off Constellation, 12 night Rome to Venice, on Monday and saw similar attire.

Pretty much mirrors what we saw on Connie. I saw very few floor length gowns but lots of cocktail dresses.

We are British although - only those in the UK from England tend to call themselves British - we Scots are Scots not "British".

My husband owns black DJ, white Tux and two sets of Formal Highland Wear, one kilt, one trews. In the past - on some cruises all four have come along!

Heading to Alaska - and oh joy oh joy - no fighting with luggage - we really feel no matter where the cruise is, Med, Caribbean or Alaska "Evening Chic" simply does not call for "Formal". We follow the dress code to the letter - Black Tie, White Tie, Morning Suit etc etc etc. It's simply doesn't seem "politically correct" to wear formal wear for an "Evening Chic" night. Chic is not formal. Stylish, elegant yes, but not formal. (Not dictating incidentally each to their own just my personal opinion and couldn't care less what others wear).

Packing hubby two 3-piece suits. I am not taking any full length gowns (which I love!). I am taking cocktail length dresses as opposed to the usual floor length gowns (any excuse for a shopping trip!).

That aside, on formal nights I might as well have worn a black garbage liner - no one notices me - the scotsman in the kilt steals the show ;)