Flowrider Question

I'm thinking we get some heavy duty hair gel and give him a big hairdo. :p

It will be pretty depressing for him if he doesn't make it again since he's so close. He's 13 and kids years younger than him get to do it because they meet the height requirement. He already can start himself and do tricks, which is better than 90% of the people who don't have his height issue.

Not sure how to "fake" being the right height, but my last cruise on the allure some dad had his kid eat a huge breakfast, wear long pants, 3 shirts and a sweater so his son was heavy enough to do the zip line. I spoke with the dad and he said he even put a bar of soap in each shoe to make the kid a tad heavier.

Is this for real?

Restrictions are in place as a safety factor, not to upset little kids. Imagine if (however unlikely) that kid had slipped out of the harness due to the extra packing!

So, just a slightly different perspective from a permanent 'noob'.

One of the earlier posters is quite disparaging about the time new people take/get and it has made me want to reply (when usually I try to stay out of any 'debates' online)

When I did my last cruise it was as if it was a professional flowrider ship on which I (as a 'noob' and an extremely slow learner of this skill) was permanently having to wait hours to get a go, which within 20 seconds was over (based on my inability) due to the number of people who literally turn up at the flowrider at 9am and remain there until 5pm and who stay on for a number of minutes at a time.

As its a cruise I would have assumed that the activities on board are aimed at entertaining passengers en-masse and I actually feel that rather than complaining about the amount of newbies and having to wait long periods in the 'general' sessions they simply don't attend those sessions and stick to their allotted advanced sessions.

The queues in the general sessions can be incredibly long containing all the 'pros' as well as the complete novices and that in turn limits the time the no hopers like myself have to practice.

This quote posted earlier has really wound me up

"

Or when the noob falls in the first few seconds, and then is clueless as the staff member waves them around for another try, and they end up taking forever getting back down to load in again.

I don't mind when people get better and can load themselves. It was probably the most frustrating part of not having Advanced on Navigator: there was no incentive for people to get better and load themselves so they could participate in advanced. "

It's a CRUISE, and people have paid money to try out all the different activities available....surely if you want to flowride to that extent and seriousness pay for a week away at a place on land that has a flowrider machine...or alternatively, visit a beach?!?!

Its like slamming the ice skating because you want to skate like Torvill and Dean but people who cant skate get 'in the way'

While I was not the person who made the comment to which you didn't like, my perspective is that everyone should have the same amount of time. As an advanced boogie border I can assure you that we all end our runs with wiping out, but only us advanced folk get directed off the wave, and even have the sports staff join us on the wave with the intent to mess up the flow of the water. After a decent run, that is fine and expected, but it has been my experience that almost always the newbies get more time than the advanced people.

Almost always newbies will get multiple attempts to re-enter the wave. Sure it depends on the particular staff at the time, but the only real factor is if the line is really long. So long that the divider is up and both lines are all the way to the end of the rail (where the emergency OFF button is located). When it is that crowded, nobody gets a second chance.

I have waited 20-30 minutes per run on many occasions. I have never seen the line take an "hour."

One of the earlier posters is quite disparaging about the time new people take/get and it has made me want to reply (when usually I try to stay out of any 'debates' online)

When I did my last cruise it was as if it was a professional flowrider ship on which I (as a 'noob' and an extremely slow learner of this skill) was permanently having to wait hours to get a go, which within 20 seconds was over (based on my inability) due to the number of people who literally turn up at the flowrider at 9am and remain there until 5pm and who stay on for a number of minutes at a time.

As its a cruise I would have assumed that the activities on board are aimed at entertaining passengers en-masse and I actually feel that rather than complaining about the amount of newbies and having to wait long periods in the 'general' sessions they simply don't attend those sessions and stick to their allotted advanced sessions.

The queues in the general sessions can be incredibly long containing all the 'pros' as well as the complete novices and that in turn limits the time the no hopers like myself have to practice.

"

Or when the noob falls in the first few seconds, and then is clueless as the staff member waves them around for another try, and they end up taking forever getting back down to load in again.

I don't mind when people get better and can load themselves. It was probably the most frustrating part of not having Advanced on Navigator: there was no incentive for people to get better and load themselves so they could participate in advanced. "

It's a CRUISE, and people have paid money to try out all the different activities available....surely if you want to flowride to that extent and seriousness pay for a week away at a place on land that has a flowrider machine...or alternatively, visit a beach?!?!

Its like slamming the ice skating because you want to skate like Torvill and Dean but people who cant skate get 'in the way'

Well, I was that poster. You seem to think the Flowrider is like the North Shore of Oahu or something. I always try to encourage beginners and give them pointers in line as they try to figure it out. It took me forever (including an entire cruise trying to surf right footed when I should have been lefty) to even start to pick it up, so I know how difficult it can be to learn. Part of the enjoyment many of the experienced surfers get is to see people get better. I don't consider myself a "pro" by any means, as I have sat and watched as many Best of the Best competitions as I have participated.

Usually someone who has any clue what is going on (especially if you have been standing there watching what has been going on for the hours you wait in line) understands that if you fall right away they usually let you have another go, but you should hurry up and get around for your second try. That also applied to me when I couldn't stay up more than a few seconds either. The key when the lines are long is to keep things moving and reduce downtime. After one or two times through the line noobs and "pros" all figure that out.

You also missed the point I made that the Navigator doesn't do the advanced sessions to which you say I should confine myself. The staff says it's because not enough people can do advanced, my complaint was the staff doesn't do anything to incent people to try to get better by offering the advanced sessions and Best of the Best.

I agree with Snorkelman that at the end of the day the turns all take about the same amount of time whether the staff loads you in, or if you are a "pro" and do it on your own.

"

Advanced is for advanced and open riding is for all riders. We were all noobs at one point and time. There are some noobs that get right back up immediately and are ready for their second chance that the staff give them. Then there are other noobs that have no idea what is going on even though they have stood in one for 40 minutes or more. Those are the noobs that aren't there to learn. They are there for the photo opportunity. There is a difference in noobs.

Lonedreamer, I get that you want to learn how to get better. I waitied in lines for hours, paid for lessons to get better, and have gotten much better. Part of riding is getting to know your fellow riders while waiting line. I learned a lot from talking with other riders in line. I learned a lot from watching people ride while in line, and that I am still doing today.

Once you can put in on your own advanced will be your domain too. That extra hour makes big difference with shorter lines. Being nice and helpful to other riders and staff is a great thing to do. It is something the staff notices, and I have been rewarded with getting to know them and call some of them friends. In turn they have invited me to ride with them after hours.

I personally stop waiting in line when it us 30-40 minutes long. On sea days, Oasis Class, I might ride from 9-12 and maybe the last half hour everyday. I pay extra and rent the wave to have more time for myself. I have better things to do when the line ups get that long. In fact on the last day I usually ride for 2 hours as the lines are full of one and done riders, as well as the first timers that have really improved over the week and they just can't get enough.

Anyone no matter their ability, so long as they are tall enough, can ride the wave. Pros will ride with novices, and novices will ride with beginners, and beginners will ride with pros. As you say, every one on the ship has paid to be there, so matter the ability they all can be on the wave.:)

Edit: The nearest wave to my house was five hours away with a border crossing, and now there is one three hours away that has stand up for 3 hours once a week. It is not a great wave either, as I tried it once. I only get to ride on the ship, and there is no ocean to surf on for me. If you have the chance to ride closer to your home you should. The extra practice will pay off.

Edited by A&L_Ont

While I was not the person who made the comment to which you didn't like, my perspective is that everyone should have the same amount of time. As an advanced boogie border I can assure you that we all end our runs with wiping out, but only us advanced folk get directed off the wave, and even have the sports staff join us on the wave with the intent to mess up the flow of the water. After a decent run, that is fine and expected, but it has been my experience that almost always the newbies get more time than the advanced people.

Almost always newbies will get multiple attempts to re-enter the wave. Sure it depends on the particular staff at the time, but the only real factor is if the line is really long. So long that the divider is up and both lines are all the way to the end of the rail (where the emergency OFF button is located). When it is that crowded, nobody gets a second chance.

I have waited 20-30 minutes per run on many occasions. I have never seen the line take an "hour."

I think on Boogie Board a lot of times the noobs take longer than the advanced people. Noobs will ride on their belly's for a minute, then move up to their knees and stay there until they wipe out. Advanced people tend to try tricks very quickly and wipe out.

When I was trying to learn how to do a full twist jump start, I was waiting in line for 20-30 minutes to wipe out in 5 seconds. Of course after I started landing it well, the banned it along with all the other fun tricks.

One of the earlier posters is quite disparaging about the time new people take/get and it has made me want to reply

I don't even do the Flowrider, so I don't have a horse in this race.

However, my interpretation of the post you're referring to wasn't that the person disliked noobs, but rather disliked the fact that these noobs stood there in line with nothing else to do but watch the way things work for half an hour, and they STILL didn't bother to pay attention to the fact that the staff was telling them to go ahead and try to reload.

That's just rude, IMO.

There's nothing wrong with being a noob - everyone has to start sometime. But if you're going to take up precious, limited resources, at least have the decency to be aware of your surroundings and observe how things work.

If the staff is letting all the noobs have a second attempt after an immediate wipeout, and you're a noob who has an immediate wipeout, then get into position to reload again. It's not rocket science.

This is no different than people who wait in line at McDonald's for ten minutes, then they finally get to the front of the line (with a bunch of other people still waiting behind them to order) and they look up at the menu board and read every item, trying to figure out what they want to eat. Use that time in line to figure out your order... just like noobs at the Flowrider should use their time in line to observe what the protocol is and act accordingly.

Yes, everyone paid to be on the ship and everyone paid to be able to use the resources on the ship... but that doesn't mean you get to waste those resources (and prevent others from being able to use them) because you're in inconsiderate doofus.

How many "free lessons" can you attend? Only once per cruise?

Not aware of free lessons, except from the sports staff when you have your hand held by them. They will help you until you can load yourself. However after a while they won't let you have two tries. Of course, after enough falling, most people dissappear from the flowrider.

jc

However, my interpretation of the post you're referring to wasn't that the person disliked noobs, but rather disliked the fact that these noobs stood there in line with nothing else to do but watch the way things work for half an hour, and they STILL didn't bother to pay attention to the fact that the staff was telling them to go ahead and try to reload.

This is no different than people who wait in line at McDonald's for ten minutes, then they finally get to the front of the line (with a bunch of other people still waiting behind them to order) and they look up at the menu board and read every item, trying to figure out what they want to eat. Use that time in line to figure out your order... just like noobs at the Flowrider should use their time in line to observe what the protocol is and act accordingly.

Yes, everyone paid to be on the ship and everyone paid to be able to use the resources on the ship... but that doesn't mean you get to waste those resources (and prevent others from being able to use them) because you're in inconsiderate doofus.

The McDonald's anology was perfect. As for the noobs comment I think you hit the nail on the head. If people paid attention to what they were about to try they just might do better.:)

How many "free lessons" can you attend? Only once per cruise?

There are no free lessons. The staff will help load you on the wave during any of the regular sessions (everything but the Advanced Sessions, which are early in the morning) and give you some basic instruction, but it doesn't help much if you have to wait 30 minutes between turns waiting in line. But if you really want personalized instruction, you have to pay for lessons, which are held early in the morning or after the regular sessions close in the afternoon. There are usually about 6-8 people in a lesson session (1 hr) so you get lots of runs in. Most people advise that if you are going to take a lesson, do it early in the cruise so you can use your new Flowrider skills the entire cruise.

Not aware of free lessons, except from the sports staff when you have your hand held by them. They will help you until you can load yourself. However after a while they won't let you have two tries. Of course, after enough falling, most people dissappear from the flowrider.

jc

JC, you said perfectly.

47 days until Indy. I can't wait, I only wish she had 2 waves. :D

That's just rude, IMO.

There's nothing wrong with being a noob - everyone has to start sometime. But if you're going to take up precious, limited resources, at least have the decency to be aware of your surroundings and observe how things work.

If the staff is letting all the noobs have a second attempt after an immediate wipeout, and you're a noob who has an immediate wipeout, then get into position to reload again. It's not rocket science.

EXACTLY :) While standing in line at our home wave, you can hear me saying to the people in line "PLEASE pay pattention to what the guard is telling her/him about how to ride the boogie board." Because, just as you said, people don't pay attention, they wait until they get to the top of the wave and it takes 5 minutes for the guard to explain it to each and every person about HOW to ride the boogie board.

Now, I have not seen this on the cruise ships but certainly at home, they push the kids back into the wave over and over and over again. Then you have the little ones who don't weigh anything and just stay out in the middle until finally someone has to go get them off the board.

Not saying that people shouldn't have a chance to learn but if you pay attention while waiting in line you might have an idea of how to do it and not wipe out so quickly :D

That's just rude, IMO.

Brillohead, you are a mind reader!

If you ever want to take up flowriding and we're on the same cruise, I'll be happy to give you pointers and offer encouragement...but I already do that for noobs anyway.

WARNING !

Make sure your swim shorts are tight.

The pressure of the water will make them leave your body.

I know, it happened to me.

Made the trip for my friends worth it.

Even if you do not want to do the flow rider, go and watch.

It is fun to see the noobs and the pros.

:D

Edited by Bigtex1622

WARNING !

Make sure your swim shorts are tight.

The pressure of the water will make them leave your body.

I know, it happened to me.

Made the trip for my friends worth it.

Even if you do not want to do the flow rider, go and watch.

It is fun to see the noobs and the pros.

:D

Hopefully you didn't end up on YouTube.

My home wave (if you want to call 6 hours away in Albuquerque a home wave) has a rule that all girls/women in 2 piece bathing suits must put on a swim shirt to ride. They have 2 usually very nasty swim shirts that all the girls in 2 piece swimsuits end up having to wear. When I tell the noobs that they have to wear the swim shirt as they get near the front of the line, they look at me like I just stepped off a spaceship. So it ends up they ignore me and get to the front of the line, and sure enough, they guard tells them they have to put on the shirt. So they whole line gets to stand there with an open wave while they put on the swim shirt.

Royal doesn't seem to stop anyone regardless of what they are wearing. Sometimes noob girls in bikinis will see that I have half a clue what I'm doing on the wave and will come up and ask me for advice, and the first thing I say is "put on a T-Shirt". Then as they walk away the rest of the guys in line start yelling at me. :o

I use the stand up flowrider while I am on the ship and take a different approach to the new people who are trying it out for the first time. I have found it is better to try to be proactive rather then get frustrated.

First off I keep an eye on peoples wrists to see if they have the required bracelet. If they don't then I ask them if they have signed the waiver which most of the time they have not. I then direct them to where they sign the waiver and resume waiting in line(everyone else in line will have seen that you already helped someone else out now and are open to helping others). Most of the time when someone comes back from getting their bracelet they strike up a conversation of how do you do this and then you can give them a general run down of what is going to happen. At this point I let them know that they will be given two tries and what they are to do and not to do after the first wipe out. Others that are new will usually listen in and end up becoming a bit more informed on what they need to do as well. Just by trying to help out the instructors also notice and usually cheer up a bit more too. This helps out early on in the cruise when the lines are not as full but not so well later on when everyone who has never seen it before thinks it is a good idea to try.

The average run lasts for almost 2 minutes for just about everyone so it is pretty easy to tell how long the wait will be. I feel sorry for the instructors on the last day as their jobs are much more difficult. Some instructors do wear foot protection but most do not. No riders are allowed to wear anything on their feet from what I have observed. Some instructors will encourage more then others and if people have a general clue to what is going on then it makes their life much easier. I do think some instructors get some satisfaction from those who do not wear the appropriate attire :p.

I was a noob too at one point and am grateful that I was able to learn how to ride from some others who were willing to share with me. I now try to pass on some tips so others can enjoy their vacation and take away something great too.

I got turned off the Flowrider (stand up)...

I was a noob on Oasis. I watched and watched and watched while in line. I noticed people who wiped out pretty quickly (other noobs I assume) were allowed a second try. Then it was my turn. There was no real instruction, the crew member helped me into the wave and let go. If you counted to three, you missed the wipe out.

When I got to the top, I looked down and motioned that I wanted to try again and was told "no, go to the back of the line". I wasn't going to wait another 20-30 minutes for 3 seconds of ride and I left.

My next cruise on Freedom, I stuck to boogie boarding.

I haven't decided if I'll try standup again or not.

I got turned off the Flowrider (stand up)...

I was a noob on Oasis. I watched and watched and watched while in line. I noticed people who wiped out pretty quickly (other noobs I assume) were allowed a second try. Then it was my turn. There was no real instruction, the crew member helped me into the wave and let go. If you counted to three, you missed the wipe out.

When I got to the top, I looked down and motioned that I wanted to try again and was told "no, go to the back of the line". I wasn't going to wait another 20-30 minutes for 3 seconds of ride and I left.

My next cruise on Freedom, I stuck to boogie boarding.

I haven't decided if I'll try standup again or not.

Clearly, it matters when you try. Day 2 more forgiving and helpful than day 6 (talking about sports staff).

I try to help everyone in the line, that is a noob or is struggling but still trying. You have to want to do it. You can't try it and crash and hope that suddenly you will get it. Most people doing stand-up fall, then fall, then fall, then sort of hang on for 15 seconds, then fall, then fall and hang on for 16 seconds, then fall. If someone makes it to there, they will probably keep trying and will become a non-noob.

Most stand-up participants are, hold hands with staff for 6 seconds fall, and maybe try again, hold hands with staff for 10 seconds, never to be seen again.

If you show up at the end of advanced stand-up (9:00 typically), and you try, you will get two tries. If you show up at 10:30 on a single flowrider ship or 3pm on Oasis or Allure, you may get a single try. Timing is everything. They definitely show favoritism to those who show up when it is early.

The early bird gets the worm... You want to get better, take a lesson or get where you can start yourself and show up at 8AM for advanced stand-up.

The anger by people on this thread is so completely misplaced. The sports staff and the people who can do it want you to succeed. That said, they want you to show you care enough to listen and to try to do it right.

Those who show up and expect it to be easy and don't pay attention or listen to the people who can do it... I, personally, have little empathy for. The people who can do stand-up are about 98% the most understanding people on the ship about the flowrider. Ignoring them and then blasting them here is simply.... classless and clueless.

JMHO

jc

Believe me, I didn't expect to get it the first time. However, trying it once for three seconds, then having to wait 20-30 minutes before getting a second attempt is no way to learn either.

I'd love to be able do the private lessons, but don't know if the money is there.

As far as being willing to learn & listen, I think most folks who are on cruise critic are obviously willing to do so.

Anyone knows if this is like surfing or totally different and you have to start from zero?

The surfers that I have talked to say that it is pretty different from what they are used to doing. The people that pick it up the fastest that I have seen so far are skateboarders. I used to snowboard at one point but it still helped me learn. If a person has good balance and some coordination they will be able to get the hang of it relatively quickly.

I was in line next to a surfer who regularly competes and he had a pretty big ego...and wiped out immediately. His next three runs were wipeouts within the first 15 seconds. He finally agreed to hold the instructor's hand and got the feel and by day two he looks pretty comfortable.

The weight placement is not exactly like surfing or snowboarding. That said, pretty much any athlete who can handle balance will be able to pick it up.