Internet still only by the day?

There was a long thread about this a couple of months back, but I didn't pay much attention. DH said something last night about logging on for a few minutes each day on our upcoming cruises and jogged my memory.

So, there's no longer any pplan that allows you to buy minutes and spread them across several days? It's a whole day at a time or nothing? That really stinks.

(We are on Enchantment and Serenade, if that matters.)

There was a long thread about this a couple of months back, but I didn't pay much attention. DH said something last night about logging on for a few minutes each day on our upcoming cruises and jogged my memory.

So, there's no longer any pplan that allows you to buy minutes and spread them across several days? It's a whole day at a time or nothing? That really stinks.

(We are on Enchantment and Serenade, if that matters.)

As of 2 weeks ago, Enchantment does not have any "per minute" plans.

I'm curious about this too. I tried a search yesterday but couldn't find the answer and looked at RC web site but couldn't find anything on there either.

DW usually checks in with family once a day or so for a few minutes. Being diamond, we both had 45 minutes per week, which was plenty of time.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a few minutes each day. :eek:

I'm curious about this too. I tried a search yesterday but couldn't find the answer and looked at RC web site but couldn't find anything on there either.

DW usually checks in with family once a day or so for a few minutes. Being diamond, we both had 45 minutes per week, which was plenty of time.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a few minutes each day. :eek:

Each Diamond gets one free 24 period of internet per cruise. So that's two days free you would get if you both used your coupons.

Each Diamond gets one free 24 period of internet per cruise. So that's two days free you would get if you both used your coupons.

Thanks, Bob. I was afraid of that.

We'll be Diamond on the Serendade, so we'll just have to pick a couple of days part way through to check in.

How does the 24 hour period work? Is it 24 hours from when you sign in or midnight to midnight or what? Thank you.

How does the 24 hour period work? Is it 24 hours from when you sign in or midnight to midnight or what? Thank you.

from when you sign on the first time. so it is possible to get 4 days out of a pair of coupons.. just time it so that you sign on mid to late afternoon and then check the next day around lunchtime.

I managed fine without internet for 14 days. Fantastic peace and tranquility not having to constantly check emails, texts, etc. A holiday for me is a complete break from what I do when I'm working and this includes the internet.

I was thinking the change for Diamond and above from minutes to one 24 hour period was just another erosion of C&A benefits but if they have done away with minute plans for everyone, I guess that change makes sense.

I was thinking the change for Diamond and above from minutes to one 24 hour period was just another erosion of C&A benefits but if they have done away with minute plans for everyone, I guess that change makes sense.

That's true, there are no per minute plans for anyone.

You'll have to book Celebrity to get the 90-minute plans which you can spread out over a cruise period. Free for Elite status.

You know, DW & I were wondering if the reason that RCI has the 24-hour plans is because the 24-hour plans are simple to operate, sort of like a 'fire & forget missile' in that PAX can't bother customer service with complaints like "I thought that I logged off, where did my minutes go?"

You know, DW & I were wondering if the reason that RCI has the 24-hour plans is because the 24-hour plans are simple to operate, sort of like a 'fire & forget missile' in that PAX can't bother customer service with complaints like "I thought that I logged off, where did my minutes go?"

More likely that -

• The Internet on cruise ships is slowly getting better and more affordable which allows people to do more things with it.
  • The current generation want to be connected 24/7. You may only want to check in once a day but for the Instant Messaging generation it's just not practical.
  • Encouraging people to Tweet and Instagram from the ship is excellent free advertising.

Well, until Royal either goes back to offering packages of minutes that can be spread out, or significantly drops their price for access for the entire cruise, I'll have to manage with access only while I'm in port and can use my phone. :(

Well, until Royal either goes back to offering packages of minutes that can be spread out, or significantly drops their price for access for the entire cruise, I'll have to manage with access only while I'm in port and can use my phone. :(

I feel the same way. I won't pay for internet when I can use my phone when in port! T-Mobile doesn't charge for data, etc., when traveling internationally.

I don't know, just me but I don't think $15 a day is all that bad. $105 for the whole cruise for unlimited access in the middle of any ocean you choose.:D

Edited by whitshel

I don't know, just me but I don't think $15 a day is all that bad. $105 for the whole cruise for unlimited access in the middle of any ocean you choose.:D

But I don't need access EVERY day, all day long, so why force me to pay for it, just so I can check email for 10 min every 2 or 3 days?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My trip on the Adventure in July, they were charging $39.95/day, and it was awful. I signed up for a package with three days left that they were offering for $120, and it took me the better part of a day to just get logging in to work. If I had paid for the entire week, I certainly would have been down at guest services raising a stink.

I looked at the wifi plans and realized that -- for the modest amount I planned to use my email, etc. -- the best way to go was to buy an international plan from my cell phone provider, which provides service through the ship.

I got 100 minutes of talk, 100 outgoing texts and 100 MB of data that I could use on the ship and while we were in port. Verizon charges $40 a billing cycle (I pay $36 because I get a discount through work). More data is $25 per extra 100 MB. I've used it while travelling for work internationally, as well as on the cruise.

If you're planning to use a lot of data, or need to download and review big files this might not work. But $40 won't even get you 2 days of access through the ship wifi. So if you have a smartphone for email (not a laptop, obviously) and just need access for one or two email checks a day, it might make sense to check with your wireless carrier about whether they participate in the cruise ship program.

The access was S L O W (1x, vs the LTE I'm used to). Not sure if the WiFi would be better in that respect.

Sorry, I was really replying the significantly lower price for the whole cruise. It used to be over $300 for the whole cruise so I was referring to that part of your comment. Looks like its port wifi for you then:p. So funny that no matter what companies do they just cant please everyone. :D Hopefully, if you are not diamond, you will be soon then you will have your coupons for a couple free days.

Concur. If you just wanted this for a few minutes a day for peace of mind to check for any communications from family, this was a simple and affordable way to do it. So I will look for other means w/o RCCL.