10:22 AM flight in Ft Lauderdale

alprice

Hi all

We have a 10:22AM direct flight that we could take home from the Oasis. I know we can get off early but is this doable??

Thanks!!

If you do self-assist disembarkation, and there are no delays, you should be OK.

If you do self-assist disembarkation, and there are no delays, you should be OK.

Should be ok is a fair statement. SilentBob (I think that is his user name) use to have a link in his signature that told the story of his one time it didn't work out well for him and served as a good warning. My current thought is go for it, but be prepared to pay more if you need to change at the airport.

I've had good luck getting off the ship early from Allure. How much of a difference Saturday or Sunday makes. I'll find out next Spring. I'm usually lucky if I can find a flight back to Columbus Ohio before 4pm anyway, especially since I have been sticking to Southwest to avoid baggage fees, but I still look at other airlines.

We have done Allure/Oasis 5 times and always had flights before 11:00 am. We typically are off the ship, at the airport and through security not later than 7:30. This is of course by doing the Express Walk Off Departure.

By the way Bill, we are your neighbors from Zanesville OH.:D:D:D

When we finished on Indy there were THREE Customs Agents checking the entire ship. Combined with a serious security checkpoint wait once at the airport, we would never have made a 10:22am flight. Not even close. We wouldn't have even seen it from the window. That's with Priority Disembarkation and our driver waiting for us.

Now this was a Sunday, which I've heard is pretty bad at FLL.

Good luck, hope you find something that works for you.

We had purchased a 10:15am flight and when I went to do online check-in it would not accept it~~said it was too early. So before thinking it through, I called SWA and they changed it with my early bird passes.

Now that time has passed, I'm wondering if I should have just put no flight info and stayed with my 10:15am. :confused:

I think the more opinions you get on this the better - if it were me, I would not chance it.

I'd say the majority of the time you'd make it. BUT if you factor in unknowns (bad weather slightly delaying the ship's arrival, an issue with customs that slows the crowd exiting the ship or anything else) you have a real possibility that you may not make it. If you are willing to chance it and don't mind paying a bit to switch the flight, go for it. If you'd rather not worry about any of that, I'd suggest a later flight.

I would definitely take the chance and book the flight.

In May, getting off of the Oasis, I had the perfect flight home scheduled... 11:35am.

But guess what? It got pushed back to 2:00pm. It was loads of fun sitting in the Fort Lauderdale airport for a little more than 4 hours! :rolleyes:

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I would definitely take the chance and book the flight.

In May, getting off of the Oasis, I had the perfect flight home scheduled... 11:35am.

But guess what? It got pushed back to 2:00pm. It was loads of fun sitting in the Fort Lauderdale airport for a little more than 4 hours! :rolleyes:

Al least there is free WiFi at FLL, as opposed to our home airport.

I would take the risk, but only on Oasis/Allure (because they arrive earlier and the terminal they use is more efficient) and only if you can self-disembark.

We self-disembarked Allure and were off the ship before 7am

I would not take the risk on Indy or any other ship.

Edited by DonnaK

Last October off Allure I was sitting at the gate at FLL at 6:50am for an 8:20am flight. It was great getting back into Denver in the early afternoon rather than 8:00pm or later and having school/work the next morning.

I am booked for 10:45 in a few weeks for my return flight. Thats why the world created travel insurance....not my problem if I dont make it. But, minus ship issues, I should walk off early with self disembark.

You're in for a disappointment if you miss the flight.

The insurance company is going to say,,, Hey, wait a minute,, the cruise line clearly recommends not flying out until noon (or whatever). Denied

....I would not take the risk on Indy or any other ship.

Donna -- Just wondering why you mentioned Indy in particular? From the whole of your post, I assume you're saying the terminal Indy uses is less efficient (slower) than others. I'm asking because I had this exact scenario come up just a few days ago. A couple in my group was buying their airline tickets and called to ask me if a 10:30am flight was doable. I recommended against it, so they took the only other option which was 6:30pm. I've been second guessing myself ever since.

We have a 10:15am flight home after our upcoming Oasis cruise...not concerned in the least! Wish we had a later flight to take advantage of the luggage valet, but our next option was leaving at 4pm. We've been there, done that and won't do it again with our 2 year old. Too much sitting around and waiting. If it was just my DW and I...I may have taken later flight and got a nice lunch somewhere in FLL.

The insurance company is going to say,,, Hey, wait a minute,, the cruise line clearly recommends not flying out until noon (or whatever). Denied

Agreed....and that is if travel insurance covers a missed flight to begin wth.

Possible yes - we were in line at the self service kiosk at FLL at 8:30 after self-disembarking fron Independence a couple weeks ago.

However it would be too close for us after NOT self embarking last year and being stuck on the ship until nearly 10:30 - a good 2 hours after our group was supposed to be called (and we were only in group 2), spending nearly an hour in an exceptionally long customs line and missing our noon flight by 5 minutes

Donna -- Just wondering why you mentioned Indy in particular? From the whole of your post, I assume you're saying the terminal Indy uses is less efficient (slower) than others. I'm asking because I had this exact scenario come up just a few days ago. A couple in my group was buying their airline tickets and called to ask me if a 10:30am flight was doable. I recommended against it, so they took the only other option which was 6:30pm. I've been second guessing myself ever since.

I mentioned Indy because one of the posts before mine talked about a slow disembarkation experience with that ship.

Generally, only Oasis/Allure use the more efficient terminal, plus they arrive slightly earlier in the morning than the other ships. Those are the only ships I would take the risk of an early flight out of FLL.

If the couple in your group can get to the airport early enough, they can try to fly standby on the 10:30am flight (assuming there are seats remaining). We were able to do that in San Juan after disembarking Jewel. I booked the later flight, but self-disembarked and got to the airport early enough to get onto the earlier flight, so we were home before the original flight even left SJU.

We just got off the Oasis on Saturday. We took our own luggage off and left the ship at 8AM.

Was right off and though custom with no problems. We had a 11:20 flight and was at the airport by 9:15. There was plenty of cabs at the port and airport is only about 15 minutes away.😃

...If the couple in your group can get to the airport early enough, they can try to fly standby on the 10:30am flight (assuming there are seats remaining). We were able to do that in San Juan after disembarking Jewel. I booked the later flight, but self-disembarked and got to the airport early enough to get onto the earlier flight, so we were home before the original flight even left SJU.

Thanks -- this is what I will suggest. Better safe than sorry. I wouldn't have wanted to give them the nod for that earlier flight and have them miss it, which would likely cost them extra $ getting onto the later flight (if that one even had seats by that point). This way, if they make the early flight, great. And nothing lost.

you are using the wrong insurance companies......

Hi all

We have a 10:22AM direct flight that we could take home from the Oasis. I know we can get off early but is this doable??

Thanks!!

I totally dislike Ft Lauderdale airport! It is ALWAYS a zoo! I just hope you don't encounter the ENORMOUS check-in lines we have on two separate occasions! The first time, we nearly did not make our flight! The second time--after waiting in line forever, we were told they wouldn't check us in because they wait until exactly 2 hours prior! The third experience I had with this airport didn't have anything to do with long lines. I have had bilateral total knee replacements, and I set off the alarms. I showed the TSA agents my cards indicating this, but they took me to a private enclosed are for further investigation! Then they asked for my boarding pass, which was in my purse in the xray machine. When my husband got it out of my purse and handed it to me--they went besirk! Called in extra security because he "broke security"! Crazy airport! Good luck with getting out of there quickly! LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

For those still curious on this topic:

Just got Off Oasis -

6:15 in line for express c checkout (hundreds ahead of us already)

6:35 off the boat

6:50 through customs and at taxi stand

7:10 checking bags

7:12 checking bags complete

7:20 through security (pre-check) and sitting at our gate for our 10:45 flight.... I should have booked an earlier one