All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Melody, your granddaughter is beautiful!

And it's great news that you are not rejecting your implants.

It was a pretty uneventful weekend. We had an AWESOME football game to cheer for yesterday, so that was great. Syracuse is working to rebuild their football team, and to beat Virginia Tech is a very big deal. Otherwise though, not too much going on.

Do any of you do much reading? I very much enjoy it, but I have literally spent the past few years re-reading my favorite classics. Prior to that, I had the girls to tend to so I didn't take much time for myself. Anyway, I would read all the different Jane Austen novels and the like. I read all the Harry Potter books too.

Last year, I read "The Girl on the Train" and thought it was a great book. My daughters then suggested I read "Gone Girl" and I wasn't too thrilled. I guess it's because I didn't really like any of the characters, so I felt like there was no one to cheer for, if you know what I mean.

I just finished up "The Woman in Cabin 10" which is ironic, because it takes place on a cruise ship. It was enjoyable reading, but not necessarily amazing. just a good read. One of my sisters is a very avid reader, and she suggested "In the Dark, Dark Wood" which is by the same author.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you do much reading, and what books you've enjoyed lately.

I do wish I had proportions that were...proportionate. ;-) You know the suit from WHBM? I ordered a 12 for the jacket and it was just right. I ordered 8 for the pants and they are too big. It is a really, really nice suit so I'm going to reorder the pants in a 6. I have both sizes in my closet now, but I wasn't sure how the pants would fit so I went with the bigger size.

Laurie, I read a lot. I'm a fast reader. I recently started up again with the Jane Austen mysteries by Stephanie Barron. I'm up to Jane and the Canterbury Tales. I mostly like mysteries, historical fiction, and modern literature. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, and also like Thomas Hardy, the Brontes, Henry James... I could go on and on. Sometimes scifi, if it's good.

The leaves are really getting pretty here. Today we went for a hike in the nearby state park. We had spent the morning bringing in some of our outdoor things and winterizing the jetski, so in this picture I'm dressed for working not fashion. :) Later we grilled some steaks and then went out for ice cream. Fun day!

WWanda.jpg.7c911fcfe82490c18c4a6e1e33a15e3c.jpg

Laurie I've read both "Girl" books & agree with you. I'll look for Cabin 10, I'm into books that i can just enjoy!

Margaret, great picture! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by awhfy

I read constantly . Mostly mystery and fiction .In fact tonight is my book club meeting . I really enjoy the book club because I end up reading things I would not usually pick . Two of my favorite books are "Singapore Girls " and the sequel "Dreams of Joy ".

I am really enjoying the fall pictures since Fall here means nothing . It is finally in the 80's and slightly cooler at night .

Margaret, it's amazing how similar our reading tastes are. I was actually depressed when I finished re-reading Wuthering Heights, Jayne Eyre, all the Jane Austen books, and a handful of others. I couldn't get myself to read anything newer. Then I downloaded The Girl on the Train, and my perspective changed.

I don't really have a ton of time to read. I mostly read before going to sleep at night, and I love to choose a good book for vacation.

I don't have any pictures of the foliage, but it is just stunning over in my end of town right now. Sally, I bet you miss everything but driving in a snow storm! That is the thing I really dislike about our changing seasons. I love everything but the driving!

The Harry Potter books were fun reading. I know that years back, the one book that changed my mind about reading was probably The Hobbit. It's funny because I would not call that my favorite genre these days. Lately I'm enjoying mysteries.

A book I hate would be The Picture of Dorian Gray. I don't use the word hate much, but with this book....yeah.

Thank you Laurie.

One of my favorite books in the last year was The Goldfinch. I also enjoyed Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's a bit like a Catcher in the Rye with a girl lead.

Sally do you mean Shanghai Girls? I read that several years ago. I also read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, but my favorite of hers was Peony in Love. I wish there were good book clubs in my neighborhood, but I can't find one.

I actually really liked Gone Girl. I liked that the two narrators were both unreliable characters that kept you re-thinking what was really going on in the story. It's funny how when it's a couple, you want to chose a side, but then they both turn out to be awful people.

My sister has been pushing me to read The Girl on the Train so I probably will. We are pretty good at picking books for each other. One of the things I like on the NYPL website is the section called Librarian Picks, where the different branch librarians pick their favorite new books.

It's going to be 82 here tomorrow. Good thing my purple pedicure is still good!

Hello!

It's been a very, Very, VERY long time since I have posted. Life has been busy, true...but my focus has taken me away from the forum a bit...purposefully...I needed to get control on my computer habits...which I could let detract me from what I was really wanting to do with my time.

ANYWAY...I'm not going to bore everyone with all the details of my life right now...because I'm ready to talk fashion, and I actually have something to say!

It's sad but true that I have gained weight back...too much...and I don't like the way I look in pictures, so I don't want to share them...and I'm not shopping because I don't like my size...and so I haven't felt very in the mood to deal with it all.

But Mom turned me on to a new discussion regarding fashion and style. And we have had such fun talking about it all over the past few days. I think some others have mentioned it before, Dressing Your Truth? by Carol Tuttle? I'm not going to pretend to be a big advocate of it ALL...because I am not, there are some serious failings IMO, but the general idea, I think that's there. I have had a good time with some more self discovery...

I'm going to have to revisit the whole Style Statement. My statement never sat totally well with me...and I tried to make it work...but... And the thing is, I totally get why I had such trouble with it now!

I moved on, and let it go, but Mom and I both have a revived interest in clothing etc., after playing with this dressing your truth stuff. Warning...the website can be annoying...some videos are "Lifestyle" videos and trigger a pop up that wants you to join her site.

She doesn't take color into account at all...not in the way that acknowledges some colors look better on people because of their coloring, not just their energy.

So, I'm trying to say that I think there's some truth in there...but it's something to extrapolate and mesh with what I already know and have it all work together.

Anyway...I know my Type. For anyone interested in checking things out, I don't want to give it all away...it's a voyage of self discovery after all! The free eBook is an infomercial but there are some good written descriptions that may solidify any impressions from all the videos.

What is so awesome is that my latest hair cut is totally true to my type!! FINALLY!!! And I can say without reservation that I love it so much!! And I got it done a while ago, before hearing about the dressing your truth. I just described to Stephanie the issues I had with my hair and how I wish it were different and voila! She is so awesome. There is nothing quite as wonderful as a good hairdresser. They are a serious asset in life. JMO.

I think it looks best with post work out hair...then all the layers really stand out...so here I am icing my knee after my work out:

IMG_0010_zpsgqf2b7z8.jpg

The color was retouched but has faded out a bit. I do love it though and think that I will keep maintaining and touching it up.

And again...as I look at the clothes I love, the clothes I have loved...and the things that I hate ;), I totally understand myself that much more!

I'm getting ready to go to Florida on Thursday. Will be down there for an ultra casual outdoor event. Should be there two nights. If I'm feeling brave, I might share some photos. I'm going to have some fun packing for this short trip and seeing if I can really hone in on some outfits that I love and feel good in.

I've been reading along...glad to read that everyone is generally doing well.

Anita , You have been missed and I love your hair . I think it is important that people dress their true self . Every once in awhile I will see someone in an outfit I really like and copy it but it is not me . I have found I feel most comfortable in JJill clothes or that type . Speaking of JJill clothes I bet you would look great in tunics, leggings and a scarf .

Anita, good to hear from you!!

It's funny you are talking about Style Statement and the like...I have been giving a lot of thought to that myself lately. For me, the journey is a bit different. It works for me, I just can't find what I want.

And I spend a large amount of time trying to find it. What I'm using for a basis is to ask myself what I have that I really love, and then ask why I love it. From there, I'm keeping that item in mind when I'm looking. For example, I really like the purple dress I wore on my last cruise. I want that dress...different color, similar styling. But I want that dress.

I really need to look at different stores. I get in a rut.

Hair wise isn't bad....my current cut works for me. I want to update it, but I just don't see what I'm looking for. I might keep the front and sides the same, but go with a shorter length in the back (inverted bob) kind of thing. We'll see.

How is your knee doing, Anita? You mentioned icing it, so I'm thinking it may be giving you a rough time?

I think your hair really seems to work for you. I will have to check out Dressing your Truth.

I think the big thing when you start to figure yourself out is confidence. You just feel better about yourself, you know?

Anita, I think you look awesome. Love the hair!

I watched some of the videos on Dressing Your Truth. It was a very timely suggestion for me because lately I have been pondering whether my style has been evolving or regressing. On the one hand, I am very happy with my color choices and I have a good understanding of what silhouettes are most flattering for my body type. On the other hand, there is a sameness to what I wear to work and what I choose for casual wear that might be becoming too uniform-ish. I can't decide whether that's a problem or not.

I've been thinking of Sally while pondering this issue, because she seems to be very secure in her fashion choices. I do really like most of my clothes, but I don't have anything very exciting. I think the "eclectic" part of my style statement is being neglected, but I don't know how to reconcile that with the realities of my life in terms of what I need out of my clothes.

I think I know my energy style, but I have to say that the colors on one of the women were just not anything I would wear. However, there are certain aspects of the style of her clothes that totally applied. Hmmm.

In other news, it was 84 here today. :) Very nice! Too bad it won't last until Saturday when we have our day on the Regal Princess.

On a frustrating note, I just spent a month putting together the latest filing on my dad's VA application. They requested an update on their financial and medical status. Now they are telling me that since this information doesn't match the information they have from before, they are knocking it back down to the review stage. Duh! The application has been in process for 16 months now, of course the information is different! That's what they asked for!

It is a crime how the VA is run. There should be an emoji for bashing one's head against the wall. :(

Edited by MJC

Margaret ,

Sorry about the frustration with the VA . Having to deal with aging parents especially at a distance is not easy .

You are right . I am secure in my style most of the time but really at 69 have you seen the other choices for woman my age . They are pathetic . You either have to be a Chico's fanatic or dress like your Mother and while I love my Mother and think she dressed great I am not ready to be her .I do like Chico's but I am not crazy about jackets .I watched the video and read some on dressing your true self . It was okay . I felt it basically just showed what a difference accessories can make and how if you can play on women's insecurities you can make a lot of money.

. On the other hand, there is a sameness to what I wear to work and what I choose for casual wear that might be becoming too uniform-ish. I can't decide whether that's a problem or not.

Margaret your style seems to be very classic and that is perfect for you . I feel all styles get to be uniformish after awhile but I spent 40 years in actual uniforms so I am fine with that.It makes for easy dressing .

Sally, I agree. I like Chicos but not all of their jackets. I used a lot of scarves when I worked. I haven't worn many (& many have migrated to my daughters'

closets [emoji849]. I wear much brighter colors now than I did. Of course, as a protocol officer I wanted to blend in, not stand out; now I don't care! I've not had great luck at JJill or WHBM, but I keep looking. Not being mobile is really saving me considerable money. Of course I did order 4 bathing suits from Swimsuits4all yesterday (all on clearance & a total of $50! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by awhfy

You know, I spent 12 years in Catholic school so I have always been uniform-averse. I actually didn't wear green for 15 years I was so sick of it. :) Then being a professional dancer I lived in black leotards, tights, and tunics for 20 years. So now I don't want to wear black anymore if I can help it.

I agree about Chicos and jackets! I liked their clothes when I was bigger, but now I find the jackets very boxy and unflattering. I have two left in my closet that are on the possible donate list because I just don't seem to want to wear them anymore. I haven't been in a Chicos store in several years now.

Melody, how is the foot doing? Are you more comfortable now? Tell us about your new bathing suits! I can never find any this time of year. I haven't been adventurous enough to order them online.

Margaret, I think your clothing choices suit you very well. When I read your posts, I think you are smart, classic, and still have a sense of fun and humor. I do see that when you post pictures too.

Sometimes I think we are so busy trying to sum ourselves up in one word, we forget that it's different parts that make us a whole.

My style statement was harmonious elegance, or elegant harmony, depending on the order you want to put them in. I often look at items and ask myself if I get that feeling from what I've put on. It doesn't mean I dress completely tonal, or anything like that. I have found that I like to wear things that are semi-fitted or fitted, in earthy tones that harmonize with my coloring, and then this third element comes in. The one that says put on a scarf or necklace, add something that takes the outfit from plain to not so plain.

I'm very content with this aspect. Where I struggle is that I have to find these things in the store, and whenever I stray from harmonious elegance, it's really hit or miss - but mostly misses.

I'd rather wear a smart, more classic outfit and make it mine with accessories than wear a unique shirt, for example. That isn't always the case, but I'm getting more and more zeroed in each day, I think. One time recently, I was looking at shirts and I asked myself which was my favorite. Then I asked myself why I thought it was my favorite. It can really help you figure some things out.

Life is a journey, isn't it?

I'm still looking through that website. I'm not fully sure what I think just yet.

I will say, when we started narrowing down the category of earth, I found that my best colors were the most colorful earth tones. I guess that is what a true autumn should be, in that I just don't look as good in soft or deep autumn colors. I think there are some great earth oranges and olives out there right now. Not too much brown this year though, which is my go to base in pants.

Sally, I like your way of thinking. I'm 51, but I'm really getting so much more comfortable with myself. When you start to figure yourself out, I think you worry you're getting in a rut, but the reality is, you simply know what you want or what looks good.

I haven't really found anything in Chicos myself. Our local mall is absolutely huge. You can't go there to just run into one store because between the parking and the walking inside, it's a major trip, lol. But we do have a Chicos there. I probably don't look in there enough to know for sure.

My foot is finally coming along a bit. I'm still on the scooter (non weightbearing) till 10 Nov. foot is encased in a walking boot (that weighs a ton!). At least I can get a sock on now under the boot!

The bathing suits were different than any I have (& I have many with water aerobics). I bought a white twisted top tankini suit ($20); a suit that looks like something out of the 50s, wide straps & sarong type bottom (1 piece) that is deep teal, black & cream pattern) ($12); two more twisted top tankini tops ($8) that are multi colored & will go with white, black, navy or grey bottoms (& double as tank tops with skorts). If anyone's interested I have a 40% off coupon. The suits should be coming in the next week. I'll get a picture. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by awhfy

I'm glad you're seeing improvement, Melody. I think if I had to have a scooter, DH would paint racing stripes on it. You literally have a good excuse to be a lead-foot. :)

That teal, black and cream suit sounds delicious!

I'm waiting for the rain to stop so I can go to Costco. In the meantime, wouldn't you know a JJill catalog came in the mail. Here are some things I like. Since I carry my extra weight in my belly, most of these would work even when I lose 10 pounds or so because my shoulders don't change much. The first one looked more muted in the catalog, and the last one has such a beautiful periwinkle:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=8G035C&h=M&BID=822677556&sk=M&t=catalog&ac=search&q=8G035C

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=6M030T&rPFID=202&sk=O&h=M

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=6M050I&rPFID=202&sk=O&h=M

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=6M037L&rPFID=208&sk=O&h=M

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=6M044D&rPFID=208&sk=O&h=M

Melody, I have trouble imagining you on a scooter! But keep your focus, you'll be back to normal before you know it!

So yesterday, we went to the gym early like we always do. We wanted to catch the football game, or at least as much as possible. However, I had a few returns for the mall, and wanted to get them done so we headed out.

My husband is a really good sport about shopping, but I know he isn't thrilled. So I had it in my mind that we would make the returns, have lunch while watching the first half of the game and then head home, and watch the rest.

I think he reads my mind sometimes...he said we should take time to shop, and follow the game on my phone. :D See? He knows I wanted to shop and see the game!

Anyway, I exchanged the suiting pants at WHBM for a smaller size. I picked up a few odds and ends of things while we were out and just wanted to mention them to you.

NY & Company had some nice things, some so-so things. I should mention it on the fire thread, but they had a great selection of clearance at an amazing 75% off in really great, bright, vibrant colors. For myself though, I was limited. I found a cute top and pair of dress pants in a cranberry type color. They are kind of between air like over all, but I thought they went well with some warmer neutrals so they'll do the trick for now. I liked the way they looked with my cognac colored pumps I wear for work.

JCPenney had a bright teal color dress pants that I grabbed as well. They are earth, although I often think that teal is the kind of color that could look good on all seasons, to a certain degree. Just better on the warmer spectrum. Does that make sense?

Eddie Bauer had an exercise outfit that was rather earthy overall. It was a teal pattern. I will take a picture in a bit for you. It's not bright enough to call fire, but it could use to be a bit more muted for earth. Either way, it's a nice addition to my gym clothes, as I avoid black and where every other color instead. ;) I realized after I got it home that I need to have some sort of top to match it in order to wear it, since it's a zip up jacket and leggings. Oh boy!

Eddie Bauer apparel is not cheap, even in the outlet. They had 40% off the entire store, and my daughter works there too so that helps.

So I ended up with three new pair of pants for work. Two were to replace pants that were now too big.

The main thing I did was get my husband some things he really needs. His weight has been pretty much the same since his loss last year, but he is still wearing things that are too big. I scored very big at JCP, as his broadcloth dress shirts were only $15.00, then I got him two crewneck sweaters for $17.99 (I think) and then there was a coupon as well.

It's funny, because he is an air, and he will find the best earthy things you can imagine and then ask "what do you think of this? Does this color work?" I sure wish they had those colors for me! I will say that almost all his dress shirts, which he wears daily, are air or ice. White, powdery blue, heathered pink and lilac, etc. He looks so good in those colors.

Sigh.

This is not the best picture of the suit. You may wish to go back to the link I had posted last week, as the actual color is darker and warmer. But I had picked up a wonderful print shirt that can be worn with so many things, and the colors are wonderful. It has teal in it, so it would go good with the new pants too as well as this suit. These are my cognac dress shoes. They go with so much!

20161023_121641_zps6kv2tbcg.jpg

My new gym outfit, looking too bright due to the lousy lighting in my room. There is a ceiling fan with a light directly above the bed, and it's too gloomy right now not to turn on the light.

20161023_121341_zpsnu4yrigt.jpg

Then my dress pants. The teal is definitely on the bluer side of things than the teal that is a true cross of green and blue. But it definitely gives off a warm vibe in real life.

20161023_121503_zpsicrafd5h.jpg