All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

That is great to hear, Melody! Our school is pretty big in marching band, although my daughter didn't go that route. One went with dance, the other Symphony. Extracurricular activities are a very demanding thing these days. It's so good for the kids though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Two words... WHALE SHARKS!

We booked a 10 day on Princess called Baja Peninsula and Sea of Cortez. It leaves from LA and the ports are San Diego, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Loreto, and Puerto Vallarta, plus four sea days.

But, I have to wait a whole year, as we're going in early December 2017. Knock on wood, though, because who knows what changes the coming year will bring for us.

Melody, we are torn between going to Coronado and visiting the Palomar Observatory (astronomy geeks that we are). Coronado looks beautiful. I'd love to have lunch at the famous hotel.

In the spirit of "port day at home," on Sunday DH and I visited the Queens Museum. Though I have lived in Queens for more than 30 years, I had never been there! It is located on what was the 1964 World's Fair grounds in Flushing Meadow Park. We wanted to see the giant panorama of the city (built for the fair and updated in 1992) and the Tiffany glass collection. It also has temporary art exhibits.

MJCsmall.jpg.524d14e63a773ccc9a7369f6085fd0a7.jpg

diaoramasmall.jpg.2daa496b81e01a5e7f85365e612f7a4c.jpg

tiffanysmall.jpg.aa0405169f7b88a388a6e8d5b457e7af.jpg

glovessmall.jpg.2bac21728c3de35f1897b22f6031b2d4.jpg

Look at those gorgeous lamps! I'm coveting the middle one! My first trip to NYC was the 64 Worlds Fair

Will you be in San Diego overnight? I'd think the observatory would be best at night. Lunch at Coronado is superb, but so is going to Point Loma & getting seafood fresh off the boats (probably better for me cause we don't ever get fresh seafood in CO). Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Melody, I will have to try that. It sounds like such a silly problem to have, but I do struggle with it a lot. Skinny jeans and leggings are everywhere, and I don't dislike them. I was just having trouble with figuring out how to make them work.

I think some casual booties and some that are bit nicer would be a great way to stretch how I can wear them.

Margaret, those lamps are beautiful. I love Tiffany style and mission and so forth. I plan to add some nice lamps at some point...things that aren't just a regular box item, you know? I think these could be the jewelry of the room outfit, if you know what I mean. I go with classic styling for things like couches and so on. and I think Tiffany lamps would add that special touch, like a necklace with a classic dress.

Geez, I'm always thinking jewelry!

So, how 'bout them Cubs? This was a wonderful World Series, despite the fact that the Red Sox weren't in it. :mad:

And the Syracuse Orange Men's Basketball team won their exhibition game...and A few weeks back, our football team beat Virginia Tech.

But, they have to play Clemson Saturday. Oh boy. I gotta think positive! They can do this!

Laurie, there were so many former Red Sox on Cubs & Indians it was like watching them! No more goat (thank goodness)

Booties are actually comfortable with my foot (or at least were before this last surgery). They really make a nice lean line. Melody

Yes on the booties. Love me some booties. :) I like my wedge suede booties for a more casual look, and they are so comfy.

Laurie I totally get what you mean. I have a very plain galley kitchen, but I picked a beautiful granite counter. It is the only decoration my kitchen needs, and I told our designer that it was the jewelry on the outfit. He laughed but I know it's true.

We stayed up late watching the game. It was gooood baseball!

A few years ago my Neighbor that lived next to us growing up died . She had a will that left everyone $100 and an item . By the time she died her investments had grown despite the fact that she was in a nursing home for several years and some of the heirs had died . We all received $20,000 and an item . My item was an original gas tiffany lamp that they had converted to electric.

Edited by Sailor_Sally

Sally, what a lovely gift.

Good news, finally from the VA about my dad's pension. After 18 months, the amount has been decided, it is just in final review, so the award will start soon. They are giving us the max allowed for assisted living. :D DH and I will still have to pay every month for their health insurance and incidentals, but I'm so happy that the majority of their housing will not be our responsibility. Once the back pay arrives they'll have some money in the bank for future needs, too. I am SO relieved.

Who's up next for a cruise? Is it Laurie?

Sally, what a lovely gift.

Good news, finally from the VA about my dad's pension. After 18 months, the amount has been decided, it is just in final review, so the award will start soon. They are giving us the max allowed for assisted living. :D DH and I will still have to pay every month for their health insurance and incidentals, but I'm so happy that the majority of their housing will not be our responsibility. Once the back pay arrives they'll have some money in the bank for future needs, too. I am SO relieved.

Who's up next for a cruise? Is it Laurie?

Margaret , What great news . You must be so relieved.

On Oct 28 I got an email from Zappos offering me $30 to join their new rewards thing. Anyone else get this? If you didn't receive the email...you can sign up through a link on the website but the reward is only $15 there.

I just used my reward to order a pair of Birks. It's sad that the colors are so boring these days. I'm not attracted to the metallics at all...

I ordered black. They will replace the Taos sandals that I hoped would be nicer and comfortable...but they don't work with my feet...at least, the style I got doesn't. They rub my little toe horribly and I can't keep trying to make them work any more.

Not exactly the right time of year to be buying sandals...but I have to take advantage of the "coupon"

I didn't see that Anita. I will have to look for it. I have an awful time with shoes. I did find some booties this weekend that seem comfortable. It can be so hard to find things that are comfortable. It's the weirdest things that end up being comfortable for me. Those Anne Klein sandals that I've had for at least 3 years are, but who knows why?

I found a few dresses that caught my eye not too long ago. Good thing there was free shipping and I can return them at the mall. I didn't know what size to order and these are different than some of the things I've been buying. If try #3 works, I'll post pictures!

Margaret, that is great news about your dad. It must be such a relief for you.

My cruise is in February so three months from now. Wouldn't you know it, we are going to be cruising on Valentine's Day. I didn't realize it at the time we booked. That means I want a red dress.

How is everything going with your son. Anita? He's a sophomore now, right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

DS is a sophomore. Things are going extremely well for him. I'm very proud of the young man that he is and is becoming. He will definitely be pursuing music as a career...the big question is how?

His most unique gifting is in composition. He was accepted to a youth composer summer program at the Cleveland Institute of Music this past summer. They had to submit their composition by the end of May and after the week long IRL program, their original compositions were performed in concert by the in house ensemble at CIM. It was really amazing to hear his work live! We usually just hear the computer simulation of his pieces.

He is a wonderful bass singer though too. We just found out he made the All State Reading Chorus...which is a crazy weekend dedicated to sight reading a ridiculous number of choral pieces...I think they will go through at least 50 or more in less than 3 days. I don't know what they do for the concert. It's a very tough chorus to make because the audition is nothing but sight reading. You have 45 seconds to look over each piece and there are 5 pieces. We'll be headed to Athens, GA next semester.

The regular All State Chorus audition is next weekend. He made it in 8th grade, but he couldn't try out last year because of marching band. We're hopeful that he will make this one again this year.

We withdrew from marching band this year. As I've said before, it really is a lifestyle and unfortunately, the time commitment is such that so many other opportunities are sacrificed when you are in the band.

Fortunately, DS is still in a band. He plays guitar for a statewide Jazz Ensemble.

He also has been playing guitar with a young woman that graduated last year. She has two singles out on iTunes and is in hot pursuit of her own career as a singer/songwriter. DS has played as her lead guitar for most of the year and has done several performances at festivals and other fun events, like art walks, etc. It's the reason why we traveled to LA and Florida.

Lately though, DS is finding his own voice in the singer songwriting world and has formed his own band, so he is breaking away from working with her as much. His band actually got to help out a film production class at the local technical college. The project involved setting the band up for a studio performance, like what might appear on the Tonight Show. The class then manned four cameras in the studio setting...and then manned the production studio. The director was responsible for orchestrating what camera was "live" to try to most accurately reflect what was happening on stage for the TV viewing audience. There were several run throughs of the song...and then finally the "live" performance. Then the whole crew switched to the other half of the class and the did it all over again.

At the end of the semester, we'll get the filmed versions of both directors of DS' band's original song. It was actually such a cool thing to be a part of. I have a greater understanding now of production in general...

Anyone ever see Morning Glory with Rachel Adams and Harrison Ford, etc.? OMG...I LOVE that movie and now I could appreciate it even more.

I'm actually glad that he won't be working with the other young lady as much. It was a good experience, but she needs to pursue her music...and her style isn't DS'. I asked DS what he hopes to have happen with his band...and basically, he wants to use it just as a way to earn some money...playing gigs, parties, etc. Actually making money, like a high school job...not necessarily trying to make it like this young lady is...at least not yet, he says. Yay.

DS has also joined up more with the theater group. He performed in their musical based fall production, singing "Luck Be a Lady" and he made the spring Musical Theater class. Roles haven't been assigned yet, but they are producing Shrek the Musical, so that should be good fun.

I think I should cut myself off...I'm very proud of DS. :o

Anita it sounds as though your son has his head on straight! I agree, marching band takes over everyone's life! Glad he's pursuing his music. Is he thinking Juilliard?

I pulled out what I'm planning on taking to FL today (good grief we leave in 2 weeks!). Normally I'm packed & ready to go!!

Our DGD is auditioning this week for Hello Dolly - they're finally doing a musical I know! Don't know what part she's going for or if she'll just be part of the ensemble & enjoy the rest of her senior year. She's accepted early admission at Northern Colorado & will enter as an academic second semester sophomore but be a freshman for other purposes. She has pretty much decided to hang up her sax. Our youngest DGD has just started guitar (she has the cutest 1/2 guitar, it looks like a ukulele it's so small!). Melody