All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Lol, I thought pearls are great any time, with anything!! Can you believe I don't have black anything whatsoever? And that's pretty funny when your read up on energy profile 4. Ha!

Melody, live that sand turkey. We have another weather advisory, but it's for during the night at least.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

:eek::eek::eek:

I hear my uptight MIL's ghost in my ear saying, "You can't wear pearls at night!!"

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I have been told that one must never wear pearls after 5 p.m. I have a lovely string of pearls that I’d love to wear for an evening out. Is that really incorrect?

GENTLE READER: Oh, those poor innocent pearls, grounded when the fun starts, while their flashier sisters, the major gemstones, are out whooping it up.

Miss Manners is pleased to tell you that you have been seriously misinformed. Pearls can always be trusted to be proper, so they are allowed out at any time of day or night.

It is diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds that have time restrictions. They should not show themselves in daylight, unless they are respectably set in engagement or wedding rings. But then, they probably don’t care, because they are nursing hangovers from the nightly revels.

And the more I read about energy types, the more interesting it gets.

I can relate to all the groups, and sometimes in abundance. All of them.

But I still think type 4 is my main, then type 2. But geez...I don't read the instructions! Who needs them? And I can't follow a recipe either.

But I have a strong sense of wrong and right, following the rules kind of thing. And my clothes have to fit me a certain way. When they don't, I feel frumpy. And she used that exact word - frumpy.

Of course, Miss Manners is correct. What my mother-in-law's ghostly words meant was along the lines of "you can't wear pearls at night without announcing to the whole family that you're too poor to have diamonds." In other words, don't make my son look shabby in front of everyone. :)

To be fair, her maiden name is plastered all over not one but two major NYC landmarks (there was money a few generations back. WAS being a very important qualifier). DH marrying me was one of her major life disappointments, in that her status in the family would have been improved had he "married well." Perhaps if I'd been a rich NY shiksa instead of a modest Midwestern one, it would have helped the bitter pill go down. :)

In truth she would never have said such things to my face. She did her best to be respectful to me at all times, and I learned a lot from her that helped me to blend into the extended family in a meaningful way. I am just relieved that her priorities are not her son's. He is a sweetie.

So what did I wear to the wedding? My LBD that I've worn at least 20 times, but nobody would know the difference. The wedding was at least 95% black dresses. There were a couple of standout designer gowns that I've seen in Vogue spreads. Quite a few sleeveless dresses, so I was a bit annoyed that I could have worn the purple. I wore my 4" platform sandals and my pearl & smoky topaz jewelry. Perfectly middle-of-the-road. Nobody will remember what anyone wore anyway. All the bridesmaids were in black too.

Yesterday, instead of our usual Thanksgiving at the bride's mother's house, we went to the post-wedding meal (called a sheva brachot) at a Persian kosher restaurant. So, a totally non-traditional Thanksgiving for us! It was delicious and fun, though. Next weekend I am cooking a turkey and stuffing for us to make DH happy. Between the wedding on Wednesday and the party yesterday, we are exhausted. Lots of napping today, I think!

I just have to add that in terms of Dressing Your Truth, there are definitely times when I do not do that. Being with my in-laws is one situation where I make an effort to conform to standards that are not my own, and dial my energy down a notch or two... or three. My secondary Type 3 gets to rule the day for a bit.

20161010_215622_zpshcrjduqj.jpg

Laurie, before I say anything else, let me make it clear that I think your room is beautiful, warm, inviting, and very true to what I would think is your type.

In the spirit of holiday fun and my propensity to see patterns, I just have to ask...

does anyone else see the lovely ladies' hineys?

Margaret , That purple velvet dress is gorgeous . I never even think of velvet living n Florida but I love how it looks .

I watched the dressing your energy tape and I am definitely a type 2 . I over analyze things to death and unlike type 4 I like loose but not sloppy loose and never frumpy . I also like to have complete outfits . Last night I bought a new red top for a holiday party and then I went immediately to etsy to find the perfect necklace .

Laurie...Mom and I were talking and she had looked at that selfie you took and totally believed you have Type 4 features...looking at that picture, I completely agree.

And then the whole room thing...your room is so symmetrical...even the ladies are symmetrical...It just seemed to be the expression of your Type coming out...that you would love the parallels and symmetry.

Anything like this is always something that you take with a grain of salt. There are very few black and white, hard and fast "rules" that can apply to everyone in this life IMO...it's a little like horoscopes or Chinese signs...if you ever read about those, there can be some truth to them...then you can read about the moon is whatever and the sun in whatever and the time of day you were born and how that all influences the ultimate summation of your personality and character...

:rolleyes:

You can get into the whole secondary energy and how we all express all at some point...blah blah blah.

I look around my family room and see a bunch of circles...The ottoman (on wheels! so it moves around), so many little circle tables that I love because they are easy to move around!, the circles on the print fabric on the pillows, the dots for the animal fur inspired throw blankets... The tufted couch, loveseat, desk chair, and ottoman (looking like polka dots...)

It's fun to be able to further our understanding of why we like what we like...well...I think it's fun...

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving. Ours was very relaxed and laid back. As much as it can feel like a bit of work to decorate for Christmas...I do love it and will be getting Christmas out today...

I put out some Christmas decorations yesterday a minimal amount . We usually do a big Christmas Eve party but this year Gary's youngest son will be hosting it . I am happy not to have to do all that work but I am also sad as this has been our tradition for many years .

Sally, decorating for Christmas has always been a huge thing to me. I decorate for me, and my husband and daughters first, but I have a Christmas gathering every year, and love that I have things throughout the downstairs.

Anita, I know what you are saying. I too think that being able to analyze and understand our personalities is a really fun process. I think I was heading in this direction already...a few pages back, I mentioned that I started to ask myself which clothing items I loved, and then getting a feeling for why. I think it will help me to be a better shopper.

I seldom use circles for anything. And even though I can mix patterns and colors, they need a certain amount of cohesiveness to them. For example, the pillows in that room and the curtains. Stripes and a print together took a lot of nitpicking by me.

My Thanksgiving was different. After a good twenty years of having dinner at home, sometimes with six people, sometimes with twenty, I went to my sister's house this year. It ended up being a whole lot of fun.

And yesterday, while we were decorating, a made a small Thanksgiving meal for the four of us as well. Normally, I would fee a bit pressured but we did some decorating the other day, and then I am off today so I felt I could take my time.

I have a set budget for Christmas shopping, and have hounded the family for wish lists. I am not the last minute type, so I wanted to be able to do a lot of shopping over my mini vacation, which I have.

It gets pretty busy around here, as with most families. We are going to the Nutcracker on the 11th, I have a Christmas cookie & wine party or the It's a Wonderful Life Festival on the 10th, my work Christmas party on the 4th, plus I'll have to do some work for that later this week, since I'm on the committee. It seems like the days fill up so fast, I wasn't even sure when I'd get around to going to the mall.