Which do you prefer - Cruising or Crossing ?

Host Hattie

Pick a favourite  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a favourite

• Cruising
    • Crossing

The Caribbean cruises out of New York have several sea days at each end so they're like mini-crossings.

But there aren't enough of those! Only the Christmas cruise. :(

I like both, but I voted for crossing because that's what I do on Cunard, and wouldn't do with anyone else. We binged on European cruises during QE2's last days, so I've done most of those itineraries once or twice. For cruising we go with HAL. Not as nice as Cunard, but cheaper and I can get to the ports without having to fly.

I went for cruising, but my only true crossing on QE2 had the remains of Hurricane Florence coming the other way. I will do another crossing though that's for sure.

Although I like cruises, I really enjoy the ones like the 10 night one I am doing on QE in December with 5 sea days.

But there aren't enough of those! Only the Christmas cruise. :(

This year (and next?) they've added a November Caribbean cruise much like the Christmas cruise.

A few years back QV did a couple of LA-Hawaii round trips each winter. They were nice for a mix of sea days and warm ports of call.

If I were asked do I prefer City break holidays or beach holidays I would have to say I enjoy both equally.

If I were asked do I prefer a good steak or lobster I would have to reply I enjoy both equally.

If I were asked do I prefer an open top sports car or a luxury saloon I would have to say I enjoy them both equally.

So, as to cruising or a transatlantic - I enjoy them both equally - sorry Hattie!

Trevor

Voted for crossing but prefer it be less than 7 days. Did the QE2 when it was 5 and don't mind 6.

Most of the times we have plans after crossings are finished.

You sound like a candidate for that newfangled way of getting across the Atlantic: the Zeppelin Company advertises just under three days, and there are reports of heavier-than-air flying machines currently being considered which purportedly will cross from New York to Ireland - with connections to England and the Continent - in less than 24 hours.

We have enjoyed just crossing, B2B. QM2 seems most "in her element" when crossing.

And we've enjoyed "cruises" to Canada and the Carib that included only a couple sea days.

But the BEST has been crossing over, going on a "cruise" to Norway or the Med, etc. and then crossing back. Best of both worlds. Time to "rest" after port-intensive days. And, of course, the feeling of "living aboard" gets more intense the longer you're aboard.