Suggestions for packing for Alaska

BlessedAZWife

Help! Coming up in August will be our first Alaskan cruise. We have done multiple Caribbean and tropical cruises, and I have that packing down to an art. Alaska...not so much. I understand about layering, layering, layering for in port. My concern is on sea days. On board: Is it cool? Cold? Freezing? Moderate? Our typical sea days attire for the Caribbean is shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. I suspect that won't work for Alaska.

Help! Coming up in August will be our first Alaskan cruise. We have done multiple Caribbean and tropical cruises, and I have that packing down to an art. Alaska...not so much. I understand about layering, layering, layering for in port. My concern is on sea days. On board: Is it cool? Cold? Freezing? Moderate? Our typical sea days attire for the Caribbean is shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. I suspect that won't work for Alaska.

Onboard, temperature indoor is regulated.

Yes, I was certain that the INDOOR temperature would be regulated. My concern is OUTdoors. You know, if we want to be outside enjoying any possible scenery.

When we were there in July 2 years ago, it was a little cold, somewhere in the 60s, at night at sea. Some days in port were t-shirt weather for us, like here in the northeast. There was a day though where we had to buy a parka jacket at the ship boutique due to rain in port for our excursion. So for August, I would guess for a little drop in temps from our experience. But as we all know, weather is unpredictable. You will be safe with your layers.

Edited by easyboy

We cruised in late May and found a fleece or sweatshirt was fine to have in case you got cold.

If you plan on being outside on the ship you will need layers, I had on a fleece and a rain coat, our ship also had blankets to wrap up in.

We only had one day where we had a little rain and we had rain jackets with hood so we did not get too wet.

We did see someone had recommended rain pants which we brought, but did not use.

We did an excursion on a boat and that was chilly being outside, but once inside it was warm.

We were there last month and I found the indoor temperature in the public areas to be a little too warm. Outside ranged from 30s on the glacier day to 60s in Juneau, with most days in the mid 40s - mid 50s. Definitely use layers and some type of rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Coral and found the weather to be warmer than expected. We always pack thin layerable clothing, plus the usual lightweight raincoat. Landtour included Fairbanks, Denali, McKinley and Kenai. At all four places, we started out with two layers in the morning and rapidly removed top layer by afternoon. Temps

were in high 60s. On the ship, the only really cold day was Glacier Bay, had three layers that day, including the "famous" Alaska fleece jacket. Inside the ship, only one layer was needed, most areas warm enough.

You guys ROCK!! Thank you so much!! We had friends who said that on deck, they froze to death, but they tend to be a bit dramatic, so I wanted other opinions! Thank you so much. And Judymag? Thanks for the link. It will really help! I am that weirdo who makes a clothing/packing list by activity, in hopes of streamlining packing. All of your suggestions have clarified things in my mind. We leave early August and will go from 85-90 degrees in the mountains of northern Arizona, to 110+ in Phoenix, to low 80's in Seattle, to the ship, to Alaska. Eeeeekk!!

It is going to be colder at sea than it is in port. Layers are the key. If you are in the desert part of AZ, it is going to be cold. If you are in the mountains it is going to be like early December.

This post has been most helpful. We're from Florida and figuring out how many layers we'll really need is quite challenging. Add on packing for 3 kids from toddler to teen to increase complexity levels. My biggest concerns had been sledding on the glacier and Glacier Bay, but knowing they have blankets on board for glacier viewing is helpful. We don't own anything heavier than fleece and I really didn't want to purchase more for 1 week. (Well we did buy coats a couple years ago, but of course they don't fit the kids at their current sizes.)

Take a look at mimmy52's trip report in the 2015 Trip Report List.

It is photo heavy so you'll find photos of people on the deck, on excursions, at hotels, inside, outside. And in all kinds of weather .... bundled up on a rainy day on the deck, or in shorts on warm sunny weather. Pay close attention to what people are wearing in the back ground. Usually it's jeans, sweatshirt, and a rain jacket with a hood or a baseball cap. And a back pack to store the layers when they aren't needed.

If you're concerned about being cold, buy some long underwear. If you have lengthy outdoor excursions planned and are worried about being wet , buy a pair of cheap rain pants like Dri Ducks.

But basically your layers will usually consist of : tshirts, followed by a sweatshirt/hoody/fleece, topped by a waterproof jacket.

We've taken 3 Alaska cruises and will be taking our 4th in August 2017. We previously listened to the advice about layers, and it is extremely accurate. We live in deep South TX, so heavy coats and jackets are something we don't own or would be useful. Can't see the expense of purchasing just for a cruise.

We took jackets that were water repellant, but not necessarily waterproof. When it did get rainy, we had the plastic ponchos that are inexpensive and worked well. Easy to pack. Would typically wear a t-shirt and layer with a sweatshirt under our jackets. We did take knit caps and gloves, which were used. Especially when viewing the Hubbard Glacier on deck. Also took a thermal scarf which is very lightweight and keeps the warmth in. Purchased many years ago at Lands End.

We have been in Alaska from the last week of May to the first week of July. Experienced temps at about 30°(F) at Hubbard Glacier to 80° (F) degrees and sunny in Juneau. Definitely not the norm for most summer days in Juneau. Ditched the jacket and sweatshirt into the backpack! :D

Typically temps would start out in the 40's of a morning and increase to upper 60's to mid 70's.

As for a Caribbean cruise, pack and use sunscreen. Don't realize how much the sun affects are due to the cooler temps. Ears are especially vulnerable! OUCH! We pack our caps and sunglasses always!

It seems the Alaska cruises are more relaxed in regards to what cruisers are wearing on sea days. Saw mostly jeans, long pants, or capris for women with lightweight long sleeved shirts. When we did go out on deck, we would wear a sweatshirt and that seemed to be fine. Only time I can recall being really cold on deck was at Hubbard Glacier. Can always throw on a jacket if need be.

Hope this is helpful.

We cruised Alaska in September and the only time we were really cold was on the small boat when we sailed up to Dawes Glacier. Otherwise plan to layer- some days were sweater days and some days a light shirt was enough. On our last day in Juneau people were even swimming in the pool.

• 2 weeks later...
we leave tomorrow- and it doesn't look like the sun will ever be shining- what are the chances we really need sunscreen?

The skin cancer causing rays penetrate through clouds and don't cause sunburn so sunscreen is still recommended.

I live in Ireland where we have a lot of cloudy weather but during the summer if I knew I was going to be outdoors I would use sunscreen. Alaska's even closer to the hole in the ozone layer so I'd expect even higher uv penetration than we get here.

Other than formal night, what do women generally wear to dinner?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wore sundresses with a light sweater or sleeveless top/slacks with light sweater. Most women were similarly dressed.

When it comes to weather it changes often.

August can be rainy.

We have found the key is to layer.

Waterproof Jacket with hood, fleece, long sleeve shirts, waterproof pants, other long pants, hiking boots (low cut), sports shoes, hat, and some other clothes.

Keith