Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

What they should've done was quietly role it out fleetwide as the new standard. No options, no cards, no explanations. What they did was try to foist a cutback on their customers, cloaked as an "enhancement" to the cruising experience. It was poorly thought out, poorly worded, poorly executed and loudly panned. Silver tongued devils they are not. LOL

I am shocked that you would take a critical view of a Carnival action. "Foist"? Speaking of silver tongued lol

I am shocked that you would take a critical view of a Carnival action. "Foist"? Speaking of silver tongued lol

I would have applauded them if they had just made the change without fanfare and told everyone that this is the new program, live with it. What they did was like a little kid telling you that they didn't break the priceless Ming vase, before you even noticed that it was broken. Some things are better left unsaid. Everyone will figure it out eventually. ;)

Edited by Thorncroft

I didn't say service industries which attract gratuities was a scam. I stated that employers who took the money intended for employees was a scam and now outlawed by law in the UK. Basically it's recognised it's happening and seen as wrong. Do you think they've got it wrong?

Im not sure if you think I don't ever tip.... When I'm in the US, I follow the "rules" albeit begrudgingly" and tip bar staff.... And I've paid in advance all tips on my next trip. I'm just trying to put the point across that much of the rest of the world doesn't do the tip thing to the levels you guys.

Thanks. Point taken.

What they should've done was quietly role it out fleetwide as the new standard. No options, no cards, no explanations. What they did was try to foist a cutback on their customers, cloaked as an "enhancement" to the cruising experience. It was poorly thought out, poorly worded, poorly executed and loudly panned. Silver tongued devils they are not. LOL

i think we can all safely safe you are not a conspiracy theorist. :p

In our FWIW department I dined out a couple of nights ago and enjoyed a meal that was probably on par with what we would have on CCL. The tip came to $6.67 per person. For one meal. $12.95 for 3 meals and steward service is a bargain.

In our FWIW department I dined out a couple of nights ago and enjoyed a meal that was probably on par with what we would have on CCL. The tip came to $6.67 per person. For one meal. $12.95 for 3 meals and steward service is a bargain.

just want to point out that not all of those 3 meals a day are sit down service. one or two are self-served. but i agree, 12.95 a day is still a bargain for what you receive.

I'm just saying they only went half way and had to back track.

A decision would have been going to once a day for everyone, all ships, that's it, the way it will be.

Instead they had months and months of having to trot out the brand ambassador to say one thing while each ship seemed to handle it differently. Some people got the same old standard service without anything being said, others got cards to make selections, others were told verbally they could have one or the other, but not both.

It was just a messy trial.

I wouldn't term it messy. There is actually a logical decision on how they implemented this test. It's called A/B testing. The point is to discover which method actually suits the customer best.

You could make a business decision that customers weren't receptive to all test cases and roll everything back or you could determine that one method was particularly better than the other(s) and then implement that method across the board.

The good thing is you can tip anyone how You wish. I will do the same.

And that is the beauty of tipping....it is a personal choice of what services to tip, how much to tip, or whether you want to tip at all.

The cruise lines make suggestions of what they think is appropriate per day, charge it to your S & S and the guests are allowed to remove , change, or leave it the same.

Some tip extra, some don't, some prefer to tip in all cash to those they think deserve it. No one is right and no one is wrong...it is a personal choice!

just want to point out that not all of those 3 meals a day are sit down service. one or two are self-served. but i agree, 12.95 a day is still a bargain for what you receive.

I still tip at buffets if that's what you're referring to. It isn't as much as I wouldn't at a sit down restaurant but I still tip.

I still tip at buffets if that's what you're referring to. It isn't as much as I wouldn't at a sit down restaurant but I still tip.

If you went into a McDonalds, would you tip anyone in there?

No because they are paid at least minimum wage and tips are not expected, recommended, or automatically added to your account by the employer. 2 totally different animals.

Edited by firemanbobswife

No because they are paid at least minimum wage and tips are not expected, recommended, or automatically added to your account by the employer. 2 totally different animals.

SO.....cruise lines should just pay a living wage to all crew and be done with it! Celebrity recently announced that they, too, gwere increasing the "suggested but automatically applied" gratuity. So who's next? Cruise lines claim that they cannot include tips (or adjust wages?) in their base fares "because they want to be competitive." Uh huh. So...higher cruise cost to include said 'wage hike' and pay it up front or add the "suggested gratuity" to the passenger folio and pay later. Include it in the base fare and no one gets stiffed.

SO.....cruise lines should just pay a living wage to all crew and be done with it! Celebrity recently announced that they, too, gwere increasing the "suggested but automatically applied" gratuity. So who's next? Cruise lines claim that they cannot include tips (or adjust wages?) in their base fares "because they want to be competitive." Uh huh. So...higher cruise cost to include said 'wage hike' and pay it up front or add the "suggested gratuity" to the passenger folio and pay later. Include it in the base fare and no one gets stiffed.

Why? The system works just fine until people go down on the last night and pull tips.

^^^^ This

Then you can tip for good service where you feel someone has gone above the call of duty and not chased down the road and accused by someone (who should mind their own business) of not paying someones wages which should be the responsibility of the employer to do.

Then that obviously proves it ISNT working well.

Actually why it proves is that is people don't want it part of cruise fare as (as opposed to tipping). They just don't want to pay it at all.

Actually why it proves is that is people don't want it part of cruise fare as (as opposed to tipping). They just don't want to pay it at all.

It proves no such thing.

I personally would very much prefer staff to be paid properly and the fact I've prepaid gratuities, proves you are incorrect since that's nonrefundable and effectively part of the cost of my cruise.

It proves no such thing.

I personally would very much prefer staff to be paid properly and the fact I've prepaid gratuities, proves you are incorrect since that's nonrefundable and effectively part of the cost of my cruise.

Next time you are on a Carnival ship go down to that gust serviced area on the last night and listen up. Trust me it's real.

I've got a tip for McDonald's workers: stop trying to get $15/hour until you can get my order right. The former CEO already said that they can automate the kitchen for $35,000 a store and they're already installing self order kiosks. $0 will be the new minimum wage.

Next time you are on a Carnival ship go down to that gust serviced area on the last night and listen up. Trust me it's real.

To be honest, I don't doubt there are people who get tips removed, (Im not suggesting you've made it), but I'm not the sort of person who would chase people down the street because they havent left a tip, or evesdrop on other peoples conversations especially when its none of my business. My last night will be caning cheers! lol

Your comment suggested that people who disagree with the gratuity policy just get tips removed because they are tight. I merely pointed out I disagree with it, but have paid in advance but would prefer employers to pay staff properly. I'm not suggesting to you i can change how things work - I'm just saying my preferences.

I think its fair to say its appreciated there is a cultural difference... but were the people you heard American? (And just being cheapskates). I'm guessing it will be?

I trust you do at least understand (despite whatever differences we have) my gripe is that i dont agree with the actual policy. I'm all for staff to be paid fairly... and i would prefer them just to add the amount into the fare which covers this. Its what ive done already effectively and cant be reversed afterall!

actually, i was thinking about guy's burgers, blue iguana, fish and chips, deli. but yes, buffet works as well in the fact it is not a sit down service meal. but i understand those folks receive part of the daily tips.

big difference between minimum wage and what some people consider a 'living wage'. also, crew members are not from the us and are not held to us standards and by there standards are most likely making far above their minimum wage.

there are other ways to make the tips mandatory or non-removable without putting it in the base fare which is taxable. tips, just like port charges should not be taxable.

It proves no such thing.

prepaid gratuities are not non-refundable. where in the world did you get such a notion. :confused::confused:

prepaid gratuities are not non-refundable. where in the world did you get such a notion. :confused::confused:

I'm sure I read it on here!

I didnt book direct, but through a TA, so I expect it would be nigh impossible to get them to give me a refund when I get back?

Rhetorical. I would not do that.... and to be honest, I didnt even know you could cancel non paid tips until someone said they'd heard people doing it.

big difference between minimum wage and what some people consider a 'living wage'. also, crew members are not from the us and are not held to us standards and by there standards are most likely making far above their minimum wage.

there are other ways to make the tips mandatory or non-removable without putting it in the base fare which is taxable. tips, just like port charges should not be taxable.

Are you saying someone doing the same job as an American on the ship should earn more than someone who isn't? We've outlawed discrimination in the UK.

Can I ask why you think tips shouldn't be taxable? Why should someone waiting tables be exempt from taxes from their employment? I appreciate its likely they wouldnt declare what theyve been given, but that would be illegal in the UK. Its part of someones earnings.

As someone who doesnt get tipped, I'm happy with that.