Two questions re: cruising on the Oosterdam to Mexico in January.

dlesh77

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. Looks like there is a fountain of information here! My husband and I just booked the Oosterdam on Jan 10th to Mexico. We booked through a travelzoo deal using prestige cruises. We are bringing two friends, because the 3rd and 4th sail free. Was an amazing deal! I have two question for now. :D

When I booked it said there was a option for a free upgrade. I assume this is based on availability? The cabin we selected is #4019 a verandah on the bow. The balcony will not have glass railing, it will be steel. Are upgrades luck of the draw? A bigger cabin would be nice (as we are 4 in the cabin), but will happily take one better positioned with a glass rail.

My second question. I have sailed to Mexico before and did excursions booked through Carnival. We did a tequila distillery tour, that took us to two distilleries. I do not see any tours like that on Holland's excursions for this cruise. However I have found online that there are other companies in town that do them. Would you feel comfortable booking a tour down there not affiliated with the cruise?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Have a great day!!

David.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, free upgrades are just the luck of the draw, and being in a Quad decreases your odds of getting one just because there aren't that many quads. Plus having booked a specific cabin works against you, since upgrades are generally given first to those who booked guarantees. There are some VC on deck 4 and some VB on deck 6, but these are no larger than 4019. They do have the plexiglas railings however. Good Luck!

Edited by jtl513

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. Looks like there is a fountain of information here! My husband and I just booked the Oosterdam on Jan 10th to Mexico. We booked through a travelzoo deal using prestige cruises. We are bringing two friends, because the 3rd and 4th sail free. Was an amazing deal! I have two question for now. :D

When I booked it said there was a option for a free upgrade. I assume this is based on availability? The cabin we selected is #4019 a verandah on the bow. The balcony will not have glass railing, it will be steel. Are upgrades luck of the draw? A bigger cabin would be nice (as we are 4 in the cabin), but will happily take one better positioned with a glass rail.

My second question. I have sailed to Mexico before and did excursions booked through Carnival. We did a tequila distillery tour, that took us to two distilleries. I do not see any tours like that on Holland's excursions for this cruise. However I have found online that there are other companies in town that do them. Would you feel comfortable booking a tour down there not affiliated with the cruise?

Have a great day!!

David.

You need to be happy with whatever cabin you paid for. Upgrades are at the discretion or HAL. If you want a bigger cabin then pay for the upgrade. Sure I would book if I found a independent reputable tour company. There is no reason not to book them especially since HAL doesn't offer that specific tour. There must be a way to check their reviews on line. Most all the tours offered by HAL are by independent tours companies anyway. HAL is only the book agency between the passengers and tour company. However, HAL does ensure they are licensed and insurance, etc. But if you have any concern about that tour company you certainly can inquire directly with the company.

You need to be happy with whatever cabin you paid for. Upgrades are at the discretion or HAL. If you want a bigger cabin then pay for the upgrade. Sure I would book if I found a independent reputable tour company. There is no reason not to book them especially since HAL doesn't offer that specific tour. There must be a way to check their reviews on line. Most all the tours offered by HAL are by independent tours companies anyway. HAL is only the book agency between the passengers and tour company. However, HAL does ensure they are licensed and insurance, etc. But if you have any concern about that tour company you certainly can inquire directly with the company.

At the price we got for 4 cruising, I am VERY happy with the room we chose. I was just curious how the process worked, since after all a free upgrade was part of the offer.

Browse the Ports of Call - Mexican Riviera sub forum for info on independent tour operators. Or post specific questions there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203

Here is one thread on distilleries:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1505434&highlight=distillery+distilleries

Edited by catl331

Sure I would book if I found a independent reputable tour company. There is no reason not to book them especially since HAL doesn't offer that specific tour. There must be a way to check their reviews on line. Most all the tours offered by HAL are by independent tours companies anyway. HAL is only the book agency between the passengers and tour company. However, HAL does ensure they are licensed and insurance, etc. But if you have any concern about that tour company you certainly can inquire directly with the company.

There is one big risk, however, and that's the tour getting you back to the ship late. If a tour is booked through the ship they will wait for you whereas if it's not booked through the ship they will not guarantee that they'll wait.

Having said that we've booked independent tours and been happy (balancing the risk/reward involved). Our arrival back at the ship in St. Thomas cut it pretty close and we did feel a bit uneasy up until we were pulling into the Crown Bay complex.

Have a great day!!

David.

For sure check Trip Advisor for your ports & join the Roll Call for your cruise...I'm sure you'll find something that catches your fancy.

I was just curious how the process worked, since after all a free upgrade was part of the offer.

More accurately, the potential for a free upgrade was part of the offer.

Don't get your hopes too high.

To the OP: If your thread disappears, be ready to post it again without the travel agency name(s). We are not allowed to give TA names because several online agencies sponsor Cruise Critic, keeping it free for all of us.

That said, now you know and also you have probably gotten the answers you sought.

For Mazatlan, it is really easy to do Stone Island on your own. I did it with instructions from CC members. Basically you exit the port on foot. Turn left, walk to the chain link fence where the road starts to turn. It's about a quarter mile. Make a left there, and follow the fence and signs- straight. It's only a few hundred feet to the "ferry". A ticket cost something like 30 pesos. Fare is round trip. All you are doing is crossing the channel. There are "resorts" with food and roped off sand if you choose. I went first thing and had the beach to myself. It was lovely.