Embarkation time.

Golf12345

Hi everyone

We are going on our very first cruise in four weeks on Ventura C deck. Our embarkation time is 1530. Am I right in thinking this is the last boarding slot? I have been reading previous posts on this subject and it all sounds a bit confusing. Is it really as bad as it sounds; eg having to rush for muster and then missing the sailaway? As it is our first cruise I don't want to miss the sailaway party. We don't particularly want to be rushing around for muster either, as obviously everything is going to be new to us. Is it a good idea to arrive early or just before our boarding time? We are travelling down from the Midlands.

Given your distance, it is certainly a very good idea to get down to Southampton well before your time to avoid delays or stresses en route. After that you have several options....

You can park your car early and hand in your luggage early and then either go into Southampton for lunch and return close to your time. Arriving near your allocated time usually means you are either fast tracked or get checked in very soon afterwards.

Or you can go into the terminal early and take your chances, but you do have to be prepared for a possible long wait inside. You will be given a coloured card with a letter on. Suites and higher loyalty tiers board about 12 30 - 1pm and then people board according to their allocated arrival times. Those arriving a lot in advance are not deliberately held back but are slotted in once the above categories have gone through - and also in between the coaches, who board straight away.

So it is all a bit of a gamble if you arrive a lot earlier depending on how many others are doing the same thing. Some people are very lucky and get on very early - and some are not lucky and end up having to sit around for a very long time.

Personally, whenever I have a later boarding time, I prefer to unload my luggage early and go into town for a relaxed lunch and come back when I can usually just go straight through - but I know there are others who hate this.

So up to you - Good luck whichever option you choose. :)

No worries about missing sailaway party due to Muster drill, muster has to be completed before the ship can sail. Having said that I have missed sailaway due to being on early sitting when sailaway has been delayed :rolleyes:

There are many threads regarding P&O's embarkation system, and allocated times, I refuse to be drawn into them, or upset by my allocated time. However, The main concern with a later time, is it gives very little leeway if there are unexpected delays on route to the terminal. So you can arrive earlier, and if it is possible you will be allowed to board earlier, but do not count on it.

I would respectfully request that if you choose to do this, and find the terminal in chaos,to remember, it is not necessary the fault of P&O, it is cruisers like you also choosing to play it safe, take a deep breath and go with the flow, don't let it impact on the rest of your holiday. I have found the best time to arrive in the terminal is 30 minutes before allocated time, as you are usually, all being well, directed straight to the end of the check in line.

I haven't found a later boarding time makes everything a rush, but it does make it different. As this is your first cruise, at least you won't miss the way it is with an earlier onboard time. Muster drill may be scheduled for 4 or 4:15pm, if boarding is running behind this time is frequently pushed back. So when you get on the ship, head for your stateroom and concentrate on making that your home for the next however long, unpack as much as possible etc. Your stateroom steward (should) knock on your door, and ask to come in. This is normal procedure, he will explain anything you need to do, and advise you about muster drill etc.

Don't feel confused or flustered, just look forward to a voyage of discovery.:)

I forgot to submit my reply, then when I did, found Scriv had given good advice.

We do the same, drop off luggage and then head off elsewhere, when we have free parking included. If not we chose a Cruise parking option at either the Dolphin Hotel, or Holiday Inn, then use West Quay cars, can't fault their service.

And I also agree with Pink-Belle - whatever you decide and whatever happens to you on embarkation day, just go with the flow and do not let it impact upon the rest of your holiday.

There are often things that affect sail away time and muster drill time anyway that are out of anybody's control eg the weather and also nothing to do with whatever allocated time we have, so it is best to just go with it and enjoy sailing.

Enjoy your holiday. :)

The traffic around Southampton can be dreadful, especially if there are other cruise ships in. We were on Ventura a couple of weeks back with a embarkation time of 3pm. We live 40 minutes away and left home at 12.15 aiming to get to the terminal at 1 pm - we are happy to wait in the terminal and bring a few drinks and snacks along - three ships were in that day, it was raining and being a Saturday a lot of people were on the roads so we sat in traffic and didn't get to the terminal until 2.10. We weren't fast tracked but were on the ship and having lunch at 2.45. Went to our cabin about an hour later to find our luggage outside. I can't remember exactly what time they did muster but we did that not long after unpacking. The sail away party was after muster, although we didn't go we could hear it from our balcony. The whole experience didn't feel rushed and we had plenty of time to get ready for dinner and explore the ship.

Good advice already given - especially adopting a laissez faire approach to the embarkation process if you elect to turn up early. Remember you have the whole of your cruise to look forward to and a bit of waiting will pale into insignificance once you are on board.

But I would reiterate others' points about traffic. Like FluffyFiFi we leave close to Southampton but would never risk assuming the journey will take the 45 minutes it would given no congestion/traffic/jams/accidents. The roads round here are notorious for delays - the local news is almost always reporting issues and we always leave (ridiculously) early on account of that.

We're happy to kick around Southampton after dropping off luggage if we are far too early but rather that than sitting in traffic panicking about getting there in time. Sometimes there are several ships in port and perhaps a football match/boat show etc all of which can add to road problems. Play safe....... put down any delay in boarding or hanging around down to the price you pay for peace of mind. Once I can see the ship I'm happy and embarkation will be what it will be - but at least I'll be on the ship............ eventually!

Hope you have a wonderful first cruise.

Thank you. Your advice is really helpful. We will now leave a little earlier than planned now, just to be sure. This website has been really useful for planning our cruise. I will definitely write a review when we get back and start planning our next one!

We also travel from the Midlands and regardless of our boarding time tend to leave home at around 9.30am. We have arrived between 1230 and 1400. Twice the Southampton traffic has been dreadful, and once we had to divert on the motorway owing to an accident. We just go to the terminal and wait to be called. It's never as long as waiting for airport boarding and far less stressful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We are just off the Britannia 2 night mini cruise. We were given 15.30 embarkation. Due to being in a hotel, we had to check out, we were 45 mins away.

Hubby forgot to pack his trousers for smart casual night, so we drove into Southampton, which was busy due to the boat show. Quick in and out John Lewis for some trousers

We got to the terminal at 1pm with full understanding that we would probably have to wait. They were getting through embarkation in no time, and we were parked and on ship and in cabin by 2pm with cabin ready and luggage waiting outside.

I'd say we were lucky and its more than comfortable place to wait if you have to with plenty of seats and free magazines

I am shortly going on a 2 nighter, my first cruise.

We were initially given a 1.30pm embarkation time which we were happy with

However we were later upgraded to a higher deck with the same class of cabin and the time changed to 3.00pm. For such a short cruise, I think that I would have rather been on the lower deck and given an earlier embark time.

For a longer cruise I wouldn't have cared much, but as we are only on the ship for a matter of hours, we are going to try our luck and arrive at the earlier time. Fingers crossed we can get on early.

I am shortly going on a 2 nighter, my first cruise.

We were initially given a 1.30pm embarkation time which we were happy with

However we were later upgraded to a higher deck with the same class of cabin and the time changed to 3.00pm. For such a short cruise, I think that I would have rather been on the lower deck and given an earlier embark time.

For a longer cruise I wouldn't have cared much, but as we are only on the ship for a matter of hours, we are going to try our luck and arrive at the earlier time. Fingers crossed we can get on early.

Had you already printed out your e- ticket with the earlier time on it? If so, I know what I would do.....

I cannot remember whether the e-tickets have a cabin number on them. If they do you are going to need both variants printed. Early time one to get the plastic letter to get to the check in queue early on then switch to the later time to get booked into the correct cabin. I would never do this of course.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I cannot remember whether the e-tickets have a cabin number on them. If they do you are going to need both variants printed. Early time one to get the plastic letter to get to the check in queue early on then switch to the later time to get booked into the correct cabin. I would never do this of course.

Regards John

Me neither....but you are of course correct! :D

Just checked the e tickets and yes they do have the cabin no on them... do you get straight on the boat after check in or do you have to wait around to be called?

Thanks.

You get straight on.

You have to go through security where you have your bags scanned, and go through a body scanner (take your belt off, and remove coins etc from pockets). This may cause a bit of queuing because people don't do as they are told (see above). But you have to do that every time you get back on board after being on shore anyway. But apart from that you're straight on. (Avoiding the photographers if possible ).

Keep your cruise card in hand as you will be asked to show it once or twice before you actually get on board. That can also cause holdups as people scrabble about to find it!

The walkway between the embarkation hall and the ship is always longer than you think it will be, so be prepared.

Edited by FangedRose

Make sure you try and get a look at the ship before getting into the embarkation hall. Once you're in the embarkation hall you will never it in all it's glory till you get off at your first port of call.

Regards John

It's very easy if you know a tame printer to reproduce your eticket so it works best for you. I did it until I reached Caribbean tier.