Reykjavik?

roothy123

My husband and I drove the Ring Road (including the Golden Circle) in May...wouldn't do it any other way! Try this website for car rental: http://www.reykjavikcars.com Very reasonable!

Driving in Iceland is quite an adventure when you go far from Reykjavic, but not bad in the areas you are likely to travel. I will ditto the suggestion that if you have a second day you drive the South Rt 1 to see Selljalandsfoss and the hidden waterfall Gljufrabui. Also, the black sand beaches and basalt columns at Vik are amazing! Travel time from Reykjavic to Vik is about 2.5 hours one way.

We did not go to the BL, but did the nature baths at Myvatn, and yes, getting undressed and showering in front of strangers was a bit uncomfortable for me but not the Icelanders. It is definitely an experience!

Where did you pick up the car? They do not list the port as a pick up location.

Hank

Thank you, SueMo. Is Reykjavik Cars one of those companies that rent cars for you from different companies or is it like Dollar, Hertz, etc., where the company owns their own cars and only rents their cars? I don't care either way, but I was curious.

Much is made of the gravel protection insurance. Did you experience many roads where there was loose gravel to worry about? I doubt we'll have time to do much more than drive the Golden Circle, much as I'd love to go south as well. The Circle sounds like the roads are pretty good.

Hank, I'm not sure, but I think when I was snooping around the Reykjavik site earlier today that I ran across something about cruise port pickups. Perhaps it was under the FAQs. I think for an extra charge they will do what they call is a VIP pickup - or something I read mentioned the cruise port. Of course, that's pickup in Reykjavik as opposed to pickup at the airport, 40 minutes away. If I didn't see the port pickup language on the R Cars site, it may have been on Dollar.com's site, as I looked at that site as well. Dollar is near the airport in Keflavik.

Actually, when we drove the ring road in May, we used Nordic Visitor travel agency who pre-planned our self-drive tour. They booked our car through Budget which provided us with a GPS.

I found Reykjavik cars online by using a google search. I've never used them, but they get good reviews, have great prices, and I'm thinking of trying them on our upcoming cruise. Their office is a 13 min walk from Skarfabakki Harbor where our ship will be docked, so we will just walk there. The only negative is that I think you have to book a car a minimum of 2 days. Our cruise stays overnight in Reykjavik so I think we'll drive the south route as far as Vik and its amazing black sand beaches on day one and then to Blue Lagoon on day 2.

If you are just doing the Golden Circle, you will be on paved roads only. You probably won't need the gravel and ash insurance.

Much is made of the gravel protection insurance. Did you experience many roads where there was loose gravel to worry about? I doubt we'll have time to do much more than drive the Golden Circle, much as I'd love to go south as well. The Circle sounds like the roads are pretty good.

Hank, I'm not sure, but I think when I was snooping around the Reykjavik site earlier today that I ran across something about cruise port pickups. Perhaps it was under the FAQs. I think for an extra charge they will do what they call is a VIP pickup - or something I read mentioned the cruise port. Of course, that's pickup in Reykjavik as opposed to pickup at the airport, 40 minutes away. If I didn't see the port pickup language on the R Cars site, it may have been on Dollar.com's site, as I looked at that site as well. Dollar is near the airport in Keflavik.

We have driven our own version of the Golden Circle tour both in 2014 and 2016. While my husband was the driver, I don't remember any issues with loose gravel. We also have stayed in Vik for several nights, driving out of Vik, and I don't have any memories of problems with loose gravel on those roads either.

When we were in Iceland in 2014 we spent our first several nights in a downtown Reykjavik hotel, and since the downtown is so compact didn't bother to rent a car for those first few nights. That year we had reservations with Hertz for the remaining days of the trip. A Hertz shuttle picked us up from the downtown hotel, and delivered us to the Hertz office located near the Icelandair Hotel Natura. I have no idea if that is what is meant by a "VIP" pickup, but we weren't charged any extra for the service. On that trip we stayed the last night at the Icelandair Hotel Natura, so returned the car to that Hertz location and took the Flybus back to Keflavik.

In 2016 we were on a Iceland cruise out of Southhampton, and then flew back to Iceland for a few days before returning home to Alaska. On the cruise the ship overnighted at the cruise terminal off of Skarfagardar. We rented from Eurocar for that overnight port call. Eurocar had both a small office and the cars at the cruise terminal, and there was great overnight parking. When we flew back to Iceland following the cruise we had reservations with Hertz and picked up the car at the Keflavik airport.

Haven't been to Iceland yet and not going on a cruise, but from what I've read, cruise ships dock at Sundahofn, which is a harbor that's NE of the area around Hallgrimskirke (spelling?), the big church. It doesn't look walkable to the places you'll want to visit, but maybe a site like Cruise Crocodile would give you more info. There's a public bus, but you would probably need Icelandic money for those. Taxis are expensive in Reykjavik, but perhaps another option. Maybe you could put Sundahofn into Google to find it, or Videy Island, which isn't far from Sunda harbor.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been to Reykjavik yet, but go this summer. I'm staying in a part of Reykjavik where there's apparently plenty of street parking, and the Airbnb place I chose also has it's own little alley where I can park. I plan to just park in the alley or on the street.

If you rent from the airport in Keflavik, I think most rental places are open quite long hours, but I don't know about rentals in Reykjavik.

I am aware that there are 2 harbours. One is the old harbour and I've read that small cruise ships sometimes dock there. I would consider Crystal Symphony a smallish ship, at least compared to the behemoths so that's why I posed the question.

I didn't look a LOT, but I wasn't able to find a port site with schedules. Maybe someone in the Cruise Critic section for Crystal Cruises can tell you - maybe? Or perhaps Crystal? I'm familiar with several sites that tell which cruise ships are in a particular port on any given day, but none list the actual berth assignments, so they're of limited value.

I think I may have asked this question before but without the search function working its hard to find:

We are arriving at at KEF at 9:15 AM, renting an Avis car and driving to Blue Lagoon on our way to Reykjavik. How much time should I allow after landing to be at the Blue Lagoon? It sounds like there is only a 1 hour entrance window once you book the tickets so I want to figure this out.

I think I may have asked this question before but without the search function working its hard to find:

We are arriving at at KEF at 9:15 AM, renting an Avis car and driving to Blue Lagoon on our way to Reykjavik. How much time should I allow after landing to be at the Blue Lagoon? It sounds like there is only a 1 hour entrance window once you book the tickets so I want to figure this out.

And what happens if your flight is 2 or 3 hours late? Lots of experience (about fifty years worth) has taught us not to book non-refundable (or changeable) things based on an airline schedule. And other weird things can also cause delays. For example, at Reykjavik last August our rental car counter was not even opened (although it was within their normal hours) and it was more then 45 min before somebody showed-up. When we finally got our keys (and this took forever because their computer was not working) we discovered our car had a dead battery. They had to send for another car...which took another 20 min. It often wise to have lots of time flexibility...after a flight.

Hank

Thanks for your responses. Hlitner, that is a very good point about delays, etc.. After a little more research I've decided to skip Blue Lagoon. According to their surge pricing system we would be there at the peak time and most of the negative reviews about it seem to be based on visits during busy times. Looks fun and different but touristy and it just doesn't seem to be a must do for me after all.

We arrive in Reykjavik at 11:40 on Saturday night. Do you think with time change leaving from Boston that we will be able to handle a full day of a Circle Line tour on Sunday? I am thinking if we go to sleep once we arrive at Alden Hotel we should be fine. However, since we are older maybe a walking tour of Reykjavik might be safer - but don't want to miss anything. Also suggestions for restaurants on Sunday night. And also do we take all our luggage from Reykjavik airport to hotel or can we check it and take just what we need for one day/two nights? I decided this in a moment when the TA suggested it but now I am worrying it is more than we can handle. It is quite expensive for the hotel. But what the heck, will never be here again. Any thoughts?

I thank you.

We had a 7 hour layover in May and went to the Blue Lagoon. They said it would take 15 minutes to get there and it took around 30. Renting your car will also take time. I have a feeling they are not strict on the 1 hour window. It is just a way for them to try to control volumes. You can always email them directly and ask them. Good luck! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think there is a luggage rental place at the airport, and I know there's one in central Reykjavik near the main bus terminal which serves buses from the airport. I did consider storing luggage at either place, but since we're renting a car for 2 days at the airport, returning to the airport, I decided against using the luggage rental places.

We get in early on one day and I plan to try to just stay local and relax a bit but not sleep. However, we're East Coasters, so the jet lag may be less for us than for many others. The next morning we do plan to do a circle tour on our own.

Seabreeze, I don't suppose it matters which car rental company I use, I won't be surprised if it takes a while to get the car. However, I was curious which place you used and what you thought of them - other than it took you a while to get the car!

Thanks for your responses. Hlitner, that is a very good point about delays, etc.. After a little more research I've decided to skip Blue Lagoon. According to their surge pricing system we would be there at the peak time and most of the negative reviews about it seem to be based on visits during busy times. Looks fun and different but touristy and it just doesn't seem to be a must do for me after all.

The Lagoon limits admission because the locker rooms can only handle so many people. The pool itself is huge, and even when they are "full up" you can always find a quiet area to relax in the pool.

We arrive in Reykjavik at 11:40 on Saturday night. Do you think with time change leaving from Boston that we will be able to handle a full day of a Circle Line tour on Sunday? I am thinking if we go to sleep once we arrive at Alden Hotel we should be fine. However, since we are older maybe a walking tour of Reykjavik might be safer - but don't want to miss anything. Also suggestions for restaurants on Sunday night. And also do we take all our luggage from Reykjavik airport to hotel or can we check it and take just what we need for one day/two nights? I decided this in a moment when the TA suggested it but now I am worrying it is more than we can handle. It is quite expensive for the hotel. But what the heck, will never be here again. Any thoughts?

I thank you.

If you're landing at night (most flights from Boston land in the early/mid AM and can get 5-6 hours sleep you can do a Golden Circle tour (with a guide, not self-drive). You might doze on the ride out there but you definitely want to get away from the city as much as possible in Iceland! Take your luggage to the hotel. Best way from the airport to the city is the FlyBus+ system that takes you to the bus terminal in a big bus and then shuttles you to your hotel in a smaller vehicle that can handle the narrow city streets.

Will be stopping over for 2 days in Reykjavik, need suggestions for where to stay. Help please:)

Hi, there, I have stayed in the Icelandicair Hotels in the city and they have been clean and comfortable. They also have a desk where you can book any tours you might want. I love Iceland and it is an incredible place to visit!

I thank you.

Definitely plan a full day on Sunday. That is the secret of getting over jet lag--keeping busy! I don't know where you are staying, but the airport bus from the airport to the city is very easy (about 45 minutes and very reasonable) and they take you to a central point, which from there you can get a taxi. The airport is very easy (and a great place to shop when you are flying out!). If you are staying in the city center, you will find many choices of restaurants. The Golden Circle Tour is awesome! Depending on when you are going, also take advantage of an evening northern lights tour. You can even get a ticket from your hotel to the Blue Lagoon, which is about 15 minutes from the airport. At the Blue Lagoon, you can rent towels and bathing suits, plus check your luggage and enjoy a restaurant there too. Then you can get a bus from the Blue Lagoon to the airport--I spent my last day there when I was flying out. The city is very easy to walk around and people are friendly and helpful. Have fun and enjoy every minute!