Viking pre-cruise hotel prices outrageous

irishgirl

I have the Paris and the Heart of Normandy cruise booked for June/July 2016 adding the 3 day extension in Paris. My friends booked this first and then I booked later. After receiving the invoice with the price breakdown, I started doing my research.

Viking charged us $1798 for the hotel in Paris. After checking, I found out if I booked on my own the hotel would be $600. When we called Viking and asked about the price difference, they said we get the transfers, breakfast for 3 days and a half day walking tour for the extra $1198. Well, that's not happening. I immediately transferred my booking to my personal travel agent who was able to get me $300 onboard credit and will help me with my own transfers and hotel.

So far, we are keeping the Viking Air as those prices look to be in line. I also cancelled the Viking insurance the other 3 had booked because I didn't like that you couldn't get a refund, only a credit. Booked insurance on our own.

Judy in MI

We've had a similar experience with several cruise lines, it is almost never cheaper to let them sell you pre/post cruise hotels and almost never wise to buy your insurance through them.

We always handle our own air, but that is more to do with having a lot of air miles to use up than about the price.

We have also found this to be true with all the lines. If you just do a little research, you can save alot of money. I am perfectly capable of getting a taxi and doing my own walking tour! If breakfast at the chosen hotel is too expensive, there are plenty of other choices. I actually prefer to make my own arrangements because I feel a little more in control.

Not only are the prices ridiculous, but the property itself it a big convention type hotel not in the best part of the city for touring. Paris is filled with wonderful hotels both big and small. There are dozens of threads on CC to start.

I have the Paris and the Heart of Normandy cruise booked for June/July 2016 adding the 3 day extension in Paris. My friends booked this first and then I booked later. After receiving the invoice with the price breakdown, I started doing my research.

Viking charged us $1798 for the hotel in Paris. After checking, I found out if I booked on my own the hotel would be $600. When we called Viking and asked about the price difference, they said we get the transfers, breakfast for 3 days and a half day walking tour for the extra $1198. Well, that's not happening. I immediately transferred my booking to my personal travel agent who was able to get me $300 onboard credit and will help me with my own transfers and hotel.

So far, we are keeping the Viking Air as those prices look to be in line. I also cancelled the Viking insurance the other 3 had booked because I didn't like that you couldn't get a refund, only a credit. Booked insurance on our own.

Judy in MI

Not disagreeing with you at all on the extension prices but just as an FYI... If you are using Viking Air you will have to pay an air deviation fee if you do your own pre or post cruise arrangements. The fee is usually about $200 but can vary.

Not disagreeing with you at all on the extension prices but just as an FYI... If you are using Viking Air you will have to pay an air deviation fee if you do your own pre or post cruise arrangements. The fee is usually about $200 but can vary.

Thanks for that little tid bit. I'll check with my TA about the deviation fee.

Judy in MI

I also cancelled the Viking insurance the other 3 had booked because I didn't like that you couldn't get a refund, only a credit. Booked insurance on our own.

The Travel Protection Plan from TripMate sold by Viking does include cash refunds for cancellations for sickness and other covered reasons. The credit is for the Cancel For Any Reason Waiver provided by Viking and is only applicable if you cancel for a reason that is not covered under the insurance policy.

Also, if you are using one of their free air promotions, you may not even be able to get an air deviation.

If you want to stay with your friends at the pre-cruiae hotel, ask Viking what the per night cost is of the hotel. Sometimes their price is better than what the hotel can do. We went in one day early to Prague and the price for the extra might was better than I could get it on my own.

But, as Got2cruise has mentioned, the host hotel is often out of the way.

Fran

Also, if you are using one of their free air promotions, you may not even be able to get an air deviation.

We're making our own arrangements in Prague. We got the air promotion prices and paid a $100 pp deviation fee to fly home from Prague, so you can get both.

The Travel Protection Plan from TripMate sold by Viking does include cash refunds for cancellations for sickness and other covered reasons. The credit is for the Cancel For Any Reason Waiver provided by Viking and is only applicable if you cancel for a reason that is not covered under the insurance policy.

Another limitation of buying insurance from Viking (or any cruise line) is that is doesn't include coverage for provider default. This has come home to customers of the late Tom Harper cruise line.

I find that any pre/post stays can always be booked DIY at a much lower rate. Even Alaskan cruise tours can be booked DIY for much less than the add on cost that the cruise line charges. Generally shore excursions booked on your own also save money. Trip insurance can almost always be purchased for about 6% of the trip cost. The extra 4% to 5% that the cruise lines factor into the formula is their profit. The cruise lines use the convenience factor which works for many customers who do not enjoy the search for private vendors. What works for some does not work for all.

I find that any pre/post stays can always be booked DIY at a much lower rate. Even Alaskan cruise tours can be booked DIY for much less than the add on cost that the cruise line charges.

This is true. In Alaska, the real benefit is booking DIY at the same price as the cruise tour but adding significant value in additional days, nicer accommodations and restaurants, and more sightseeing.

Trip insurance can almost always be purchased for about 6% of the trip cost. The extra 4% to 5% that the cruise lines factor into the formula is their profit.

Here I disagree, but maybe I'm showing my age [literally]. Cruise-line trip insurance doesn't factor age, so for us older folks it is usually a bargain. The real downside is that the "any reason" coverage is for a future cruise credit, not cash; and you lose the "vendor default" coverage. We still take it if the vendor seems stable (e.g. AMA, not Tom Harper) and we would expect to sail with them again and so use the credit.

We booked the pre-cruise hotel in Paris through Uniworld for our first river cruise, as we didn't know what to expect once we hit the ground. Given our inexperience, the (substantial) added cost was warranted. It was at a truly superb hotel - the Radisson Blu - and that helped.

We don't need to repeat the experience, though. From here on out we'll book our own hotels, as we did last trip in Belgrade and are doing this summer in Paris. As for airfare, we'll continue to compare what the cruise line can give us from a price and schedule perspective with what we can do on our own.

In all fairness to the cruise lines, they don't push or pressure people into their pre or post cruise option. They do not try to hide the fact that it is extremely expensive and even the cruise staff on board discuss ways to save money in each final destination. They simply make it available as a convenience for those that want a stress-free vacation with everything included and arranged. It's certainly not my cup of tea but I don't resent what they charge. It's sort of like being gouged by Business Class airfare. It's there for those that can afford it and like that sort of thing.

I have booked pre and post cruise extensions. While I have wandered the world solo, there are times when I don't want or have time to do research. So time vs value of money? I pay occasionally.

It has to do with traveling in a more relaxed manner.

Also, if you are going inter city, Oporto to Santiago, say, and want to see things addressed on the trip, it can be less harried and quite efficient.

This year I am doing the Portugal River cruise with all extensions then adding time to stumble through Switzerland and France on my own. Maybe Germany too.

Each person has different reasons why and how they travel, that is what makes traveling along side others so very interesting!