Portuguese wine recommendations?

kekilia

We are on the Western Med Riviera cruise embarking in Lisbon in July. Okay, so I found a great wine and spirit shop just a few blocks from our hotel in Lisbon (Gotta love Google!) and I'm planning on getting some hard liquor and wine to carry onboard. However, I am not familiar with the local wines and I would love some input on some very good reds and whites from Portugal and Spain. This will take me all the way to France where I will be able to restock :D with French wines that will take me to Italy, where, yes, wait for it, I will switch to Italian reds! All input will be much appreciated. Price point is not an issue, I am out to experience the various regions' best. Thank you for sharing:cool::D!

I love Spanish reds based on the Tempranillo grape. The ones labelled Rioja have to be made according to hide-bound old-time regulations, so I go for the ones that just say Tempranillo [think Super-Tuscan versus Chianti]. The DO Ribera del Duero is a great source of such wines. Also there are several grades based on minimum aging times: the youngest aren't labeled for age; next is Crianza (aged for 2 years with at least 6 months in oak); then Reserva (aged for at least 3 years with at least 1 year in oak); finally Gran Reserva (above average vintages, at least 5 years aging with at least 18 months in oak). What makes it complicated is that the young lion winemakers who eschew the old "Rioja" designation also don't bother to get an aging certification either -- so you can get a really good wine that doesn't claim to be a Crianza or Reserva, but may have been aged that long anyway.

For Spanish whites, Albariño is the most famous grape and deservedly so. Aging is less important here -- maybe even counterproductive.

I don't know as much about Portuguese wines. But they have a wonderful white called Vinho Verde, which is a delightful spring-summer wine with a little spritz when you open the bottle; best consumer when young. As to reds, they seem to have learned how to tame the hot summer climate to produce some appealing full-bodied red wines. I recently had a bottle of 2013 Merino [picture of a sheep on the label with a note that 400 merino sheep graze the vineyard as weed control agents, in lieu of herbicides] Old Vines "vinho regional alentejano" which is a blend of 50% Arangonez, 30% Syrah, and 20% Alicante Bouschet. I am not familiar with the first or third grape listed, but the wine is full-bodied with forward fruit and good mouthfeel -- and it was a bargain here in NY so they must practically give it away in Portugal! Then of course there is Port wine -- I have gone through most of my life ignoring it because of memories of Paul Masson Tawny Port [in the heart-shaped bottle], but have recently had the odd glass or two and think there might be an interesting new area of wine appreciation in the offing. :)

We are on the Western Med Riviera cruise embarking in Lisbon in July. Okay, so I found a great wine and spirit shop just a few blocks from our hotel in Lisbon (Gotta love Google!) and I'm planning on getting some hard liquor and wine to carry onboard. However, I am not familiar with the local wines and I would love some input on some very good reds and whites from Portugal and Spain. This will take me all the way to France where I will be able to restock :D with French wines that will take me to Italy, where, yes, wait for it, I will switch to Italian reds! All input will be much appreciated. Price point is not an issue, I am out to experience the various regions' best. Thank you for sharing:cool::D!

ImageUploadedByForums1429245927.009103.jpg.fc6d1f053210c4cdb76cdac26cc77954.jpg

Here is an inexpensive Spanish Albariño and a Portuguese tinto (also inexpensive), which were recommended by Odd Lots Wine in the SF East Bay Area. The shop carries only European wines, many of which have noteworthy acclaim but none of which are more than $20! The Albariño was quite good. The Tinto was decent.

ImageUploadedByForums1429245899.176764.jpg.350fa07b9cdf261e7962795070567378.jpg

[ATTACH]346496[/ATTACH][ATTACH]346497[/ATTACH]

Here is an inexpensive Spanish Albariño and a Portuguese tinto (also inexpensive), which were recommended by Odd Lots Wine in the SF East Bay Area. The shop carries only European wines, many of which have noteworthy acclaim but none of which are more than $20! The Albariño was quite good. The Tinto was decent.

Thank you for the posts. I'll have to note the names of these. Dan, you'll probably be tasting my selection onboard!

There are many wine tasting options in Lisbon that might help you select something to your taste.

One we went to in 2013 is "Vini Portugal" - sponsored by a trade association (or gov't?) and center right on the big "Praca do Comercio" at the waterfront in Lisbon. Same square has tourist info office.

Vini Portugal had very friendly & knowledgeable staff (most or all speak English) and wines from all around Portugal. Once it was free, now there is a small charge per taste, they do take credit cards.

link to the English part of their website about their tasting rooms . The Lisbon facility says it is closed for refurbishment (as of April 2015) but looks like they plan to reopen for tourism season.

Reading between "her" lines... there are no good Portuguese wines. :p

http://catavino.net/top-50-portuguese-wines-according-to-julia-harding-of-jancisrobinson-com/

Two of the top ten Wine Spectator wines for 2014 are Portugese. I would see if you could find this, it was No 4. The top "wine" for 2014 was a Dow 2011 Vintage Port. I think you might be pleasently surprised by Portugese wines.

Quinta Do Vale Meão

Douro 2011

SCORE

$76

PRICE

CASES MADE

Reading between "her" lines... there are no good Portuguese wines. :p

http://catavino.net/top-50-portuguese-wines-according-to-julia-harding-of-jancisrobinson-com/

Not true at all, in my experience. There are really excellent wines from several regions of Portugal, red and whites. I like to say that they just don't export most of the good ones--they drink them all!

Look for wines from the Alentejo region, or the Douro Valley--there are a couple of other fine regions that I can't remember. The "vinho verde" is from the north, and is very light, almost like a spritzer.

Jazzbeau already mentioned Port. I have become a HUGE fan of a good aged port, especially at the end of a really exquisite meal, with an excellent cheese plate.

And if you like Port, you should definitely try some Madeira! I got turned onto Madeira when I stayed on the island of Madeira (an island in the North Atlantic owned by Portugal) for a week several years ago. Like Port it's a fortified wine, and can be found either dry or sweet...and it's a delicious apertif.

It also has a fascinating history of how it came to be! Madeira used to be a frequent port of call for ships heading to the New World and the Far East, and Madeira was a big producer of wine so the ships often carried large shipments. To prevent the wine from spoiling, neutral grape spirits were added. On the long sea voyages, the wines would be exposed to excessive heat and movement which transformed the flavor of the wine. This was discovered by the wine producers of Madeira when an unsold shipment of wine returned to the islands after a round trip.

These days they make it by attempting to duplicate the conditions of a long sea passage, including heating it and deliberately exposing it to some levels of oxidation. In the end it becomes a completely unique beverage, and one worth trying.

Once you get to Italy, assuming you're a fan of reds, you should be sure to find a good Brunello di Montalcino. Best wine on the planet, in my book. :D

Jazzbeau already mentioned Port. I have become a HUGE fan of a good aged port, especially at the end of a really exquisite meal, with an excellent cheese plate.

And if you like Port, you should definitely try some Madeira! I got turned onto Madeira when I stayed on the island of Madeira (an island in the North Atlantic owned by Portugal) for a week several years ago. Like Port it's a fortified wine, and can be found either dry or sweet...and it's a delicious apertif.

It also has a fascinating history of how it came to be! Madeira used to be a frequent port of call for ships heading to the New World and the Far East, and Madeira was a big producer of wine so the ships often carried large shipments. To prevent the wine from spoiling, neutral grape spirits were added. On the long sea voyages, the wines would be exposed to excessive heat and movement which transformed the flavor of the wine. This was discovered by the wine producers of Madeira when an unsold shipment of wine returned to the islands after a round trip.

These days they make it by attempting to duplicate the conditions of a long sea passage, including heating it and deliberately exposing it to some levels of oxidation. In the end it becomes a completely unique beverage, and one worth trying.

Once you get to Italy, assuming you're a fan of reds, you should be sure to find a good Brunello di Montalcino. Best wine on the planet, in my book. :D

My favorite "Port" is "Starboard." Yes, that's its name - made by Quady down south somewhere in California's Central Valley.

Some DOCG Brunelli are very good. However, at that price point, I'd opt for a really good reserve Pinot Noir from Mendocino County.

My favorite "Port" is "Starboard." Yes, that's its name - made by Quady down south somewhere in California's Central Valley.

Some DOCG Brunelli are very good. However, at that price point, I'd opt for a really good reserve Pinot Noir from Mendocino County.

This one? http://www.wine.com/v6/Quady-Batch-88-Starboard/wine/17656/Detail.aspx?state=CA

Sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out. If anything, gotta love the name! :) As a sailboat owner, I think I should have a bottle of this onboard.

I hear ya about a good Mendocino Pinot...but I'm a 3rd generation Italian, raised by Brooklyn Italians, and I was weaned on Chianti. I fell head over heels with Brunello on my first trip to Italy back in the late 80's, and we've been having a torrid affair ever since. ;)

I think it is a little hard to say without knowing what kind of wine you like. I'm not a fan of the heavy Napa cabs or the Santa Barbara pinot noirs, whereas I like an "old school" type Corison Napa cab or Oregon pinot noirs. So what is "good" is pretty subjective. With that disclaimer out of the way...

Spain: If you like sweet wines, you might like a Pedro Ximenez (often abbreviated "PX"). It's kind of like a sherry. I second Albarino (a white), and I also really like white Rioja. There is a rose from the Basque region of Spain called Txakolina (choc-lee-nah) that is different (in a good way, I think). For reds, the newer tempranillos remind me of Napa cabs, but I am a fan of the Bodega Numanthia label. I also like the garnacha (grenache) and monastrell (mourvedre). And a good quality cava, too!

Portugal: Port, of course. I like ruby over tawny, but your mileage may vary. Vinho verde is a good hot weather white. I don't have much depth in Portuguese wines. Sorry.

I think it is a little hard to say without knowing what kind of wine you like. I'm not a fan of the heavy Napa cabs or the Santa Barbara pinot noirs, whereas I like an "old school" type Corison Napa cab or Oregon pinot noirs. So what is "good" is pretty subjective. With that disclaimer out of the way...

Spain: If you like sweet wines, you might like a Pedro Ximenez (often abbreviated "PX"). It's kind of like a sherry. I second Albarino (a white), and I also really like white Rioja. There is a rose from the Basque region of Spain called Txakolina (choc-lee-nah) that is different (in a good way, I think). For reds, the newer tempranillos remind me of Napa cabs, but I am a fan of the Bodega Numanthia label. I also like the garnacha (grenache) and monastrell (mourvedre). And a good quality cava, too!

Portugal: Port, of course. I like ruby over tawny, but your mileage may vary. Vinho verde is a good hot weather white. I don't have much depth in Portuguese wines. Sorry.

I once thought I was pretty savvy, having lived for 30 years within 30 minutes of the Napa/Sonoma wine region, but i now realize there's a whole different world out there to discover. I'm taking notes and I will report back with the results of my personal survey of regional wines!

I just had another idea. You can look for reviews at Cellar Tracker (do a Google search for the link to the site). From there, under "Tasting Notes" click "Community Notes." Then click "Summarize by" and select "Region" out of the pull-down menu. Click on Portugal. It won't be the fastest thing in the world (there are a lot of notes and not all wines are available at the store anymore), but it might give you some ideas as to what you might like (one region produces sweet wines, others might have more a mineral profile, etc.).

Just above the wine listings in tiny print it says "Vintage Name Variety..." Follow that line all the way to the right where it says "More." Click on that and you can sort by score if you want. I believe those are community scores (i.e., crowd sourced) and not professional scores, so take them with a grain of salt.

Picked up a couple more Portuguese wines today. Stay tuned for report.

ImageUploadedByForums1429482801.007363.jpg.270790f67149b0dbe7e4e856fa04f472.jpgYesterday, we tried the Broadbent Vinho Verde, a white we saw on a NY Times list of reviewed Vinho Verde. It was available locally.... And that's about all I can say about it that's positive. As expected from reviews I read, it was a bit frizzy. I found the dry fruitiness to be boring. The best way to characterize it is: someone's early mistake at first making wine. Even at the not unusual cheap price of $10 +\- for a Vinho Verde, I recommend steering clear of this stuff.

Next up will be Esteva by Casa Ferreirinha (2013) from the Douro region.

[ATTACH]346825[/ATTACH]Yesterday, we tried the Broadbent Vinho Verde, a white we saw on a NY Times list of reviewed Vinho Verde. It was available locally.... And that's about all I can say about it that's positive. As expected from reviews I read, it was a bit frizzy. I found the dry fruitiness to be boring. The best way to characterize it is: someone's early mistake at first making wine. Even at the not unusual cheap price of $10 +\- for a Vinho Verde, I recommend steering clear of this stuff.

Next up will be Esteva by Casa Ferreirinha (2013) from the Douro region.

You don't mention the vintage of the Vinho Verde. This is meant to be drunk young -- as it today! So if it was not a 2014, that could explain your reaction.

You don't mention the vintage of the Vinho Verde. This is meant to be drunk young -- as it today! So if it was not a 2014, that could explain your reaction.

The Broadbent Vinho Verde does not show vintage year. Whatever year, that frizziness (someone else on this thread called it "effervescence") and the lack of character in general (not to mention limited percent alcohol) just doesn't do it for me. To each his own. Hope to try the other entry this week.

BTW, do love good sparkling wines (locals around here like Gloria Ferrer, Shramsberg and Roederer fill the bill for great taste at reasonable cost.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

• 3 weeks later...

The finest Portuguese wines are reds from the Douro but, because it is such a small area, many (most?) are not seen outside of Europe. Last year, we did Italian and French wineries but, in 2014, we did the Portuguese and, to a limited extent, Spanish wineries. Alentejo wines from the south are good but, in many cases, are mass produced and don't have the depth of their northern cousins. We spent about 6 weeks touring Iberian wineries and, without any hesitation, recommend the reds from Wine & Soul, Quinta do Passadouro, Quinta do Vallado, Quinta do Crasto, and Quinta de la Rosa. That said, there are many other excellent wineries that I am confident you would enjoy. Your best bet, if you can find them for a reasonable price, is to purchase 2011 Douro reds as this was a spectacular year. If I remember correctly, you mentioned something about the vinho verdes, which are white wines. If you're on a picnic or going to the beach, these are wonderful, effervescent, and - most importantly - extraordinarily cheap wines but are on par with Boone's Farm from the '60s. Good luck with your wine explorations and, if you have the opportunity, visit the Douro and Porto areas of Portugal!

The finest Portuguese wines are reds from the Douro but, because it is such a small area, many (most?) are not seen outside of Europe. Last year, we did Italian and French wineries but, in 2014, we did the Portuguese and, to a limited extent, Spanish wineries. Alentejo wines from the south are good but, in many cases, are mass produced and don't have the depth of their northern cousins. We spent about 6 weeks touring Iberian wineries and, without any hesitation, recommend the reds from Wine & Soul, Quinta do Passadouro, Quinta do Vallado, Quinta do Crasto, and Quinta de la Rosa. That said, there are many other excellent wineries that I am confident you would enjoy. Your best bet, if you can find them for a reasonable price, is to purchase 2011 Douro reds as this was a spectacular year. If I remember correctly, you mentioned something about the vinho verdes, which are white wines. If you're on a picnic or going to the beach, these are wonderful, effervescent, and - most importantly - extraordinarily cheap wines but are on par with Boone's Farm from the '60s. Good luck with your wine explorations and, if you have the opportunity, visit the Douro and Porto areas of Portugal!

Now this is what I call a recommendation! I am writing this down and I will seek out your recommended reds. Guess I will skip the vinho verses! Not my style. I just read somewhere that there was a great one from 2011. But you can keep your cheap Costco Yellowtail Grigio, if I'm going to the beach, I at least want a Hess Chardonnay!

We spent two weeks in Portugal some years ago and fell in love with the Duoro producer Quinta de Castelinho. Whenever I can find any of their products here (which is not often) I buy up as much as I can. Looking forward to being back in Lisbon in November to get my fill!!

Hi. Just a quick note from a portuguese that lives in Porto, 5 minutes from the Port Wine cellars, but on the other hand I am not a great wine afficionado.

Cliff-FLL is absolutely correct: go with Douro red wines from 2011, and don't need to break the bank. There are very good wines in the 15-25 euro range (even below 15)... I would even suggest that you skip any small boutique tourist-oriented wine shop (many of them are tourist traps that sell good but way overpriced wines), and try your luck in a regular supermarket (google for a "Pingo Doce" store near your hotel - they have a limited stock but you may find good Douro wines at bargain prices - Duas Quintas, De La Rosa, Quinta Crasto).

Couple of advices though: red portuguese wines DO need resting after opening the bottle - it makes a world of difference.

Do not buy cheap white wines: the more expensive white wines and "Vinho Verde" wines are worth a try (again, my prejudice is for Douro wines - white Duas Quintas is very good).

Do not buy Port Wine in the supermarket !!! Bad mistake!!! Splurge in a Vintage Wine from a low production estate that does not carry an english-sound name and does not spell "Port Wine" but "Vinho do Porto" in the label (you will probably find those in the wine-shop). Taylor's is an exception to this, but I still prefer smaller estates.

To Flatbush Flyer: please refrain from calling Port Wine to anything that does not come from this region. Take a Douro Valley River Cruise, visit one of the port wine estates in Porto, immerse yourself in a wine culture that is more than 2000 years old, in the history of family estates that produce the same type of wine for more than 300 years, and you will appreciate that when you sip Port Wine you are tasting much more than what it reads in the label...

Back in the mid-80s we did two road trips in northern Portugal. I'm talking 1984-1985.

We found a wonderful little "shack" in the Douro named Martha's. Bought two bottles of port there that were fabulous. One was a 1958 vintage (no doubt no longer available) and the other was more recent ... maybe the late '60s, early '70s.

Both were wonderful. A couple of years later I recommended Martha's to an email friend who was going to the Douro and she was good enough to send me a bottle as thanks.

I've saved one of the bottles so I always knew the label ... "Manuel de Almeida Martha". This bottle is dated 1977. (In looking at my diary this MAY have been near Regua. I can't guarantee that info!)

If you find the place I recommend buying whatever they have! Bear in mind, I'm only talking about port. I don't know if they have any other kinds of wines because we only bought their port.

Also, if you have time in Lisbon be sure to go to the Port Wine Institute. It's a delightful respite after a day of touring. You can order one or two glasses of port of all sorts and prices, and just relax.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Port+Wine+Institute+Lisbon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Go to Restauradores and take the Gloria elevator (a kind of funicular) up to the top. (If you leave the Metro and stand with your back to the bottom of the plaza, the elevator is on the left hand side. Or just ask.)

Our favorite restaurant in Lisbon is on the right hand side ... through side streets. Restaurant Bom Jardim (Rei do Frangos) on the Travessa Bom Jardin and Rua des Portes de Sant’Antão.

Mura

Hi. Just a quick note from a portuguese that lives in Porto, 5 minutes from the Port Wine cellars, but on the other hand I am not a great wine afficionado.

Cliff-FLL is absolutely correct: go with Douro red wines from 2011, and don't need to break the bank. There are very good wines in the 15-25 euro range (even below 15)... I would even suggest that you skip any small boutique tourist-oriented wine shop (many of them are tourist traps that sell good but way overpriced wines), and try your luck in a regular supermarket (google for a "Pingo Doce" store near your hotel - they have a limited stock but you may find good Douro wines at bargain prices - Duas Quintas, De La Rosa, Quinta Crasto).

Couple of advices though: red portuguese wines DO need resting after opening the bottle - it makes a world of difference.

Do not buy cheap white wines: the more expensive white wines and "Vinho Verde" wines are worth a try (again, my prejudice is for Douro wines - white Duas Quintas is very good).

Do not buy Port Wine in the supermarket !!! Bad mistake!!! Splurge in a Vintage Wine from a low production estate that does not carry an english-sound name and does not spell "Port Wine" but "Vinho do Porto" in the label (you will probably find those in the wine-shop). Taylor's is an exception to this, but I still prefer smaller estates.

To Flatbush Flyer: please refrain from calling Port Wine to anything that does not come from this region. Take a Douro Valley River Cruise, visit one of the port wine estates in Porto, immerse yourself in a wine culture that is more than 2000 years old, in the history of family estates that produce the same type of wine for more than 300 years, and you will appreciate that when you sip Port Wine you are tasting much more than what it reads in the label...

You are correct about accuracy in referring to the designation "port" (which is why I put my reference to it in the earlier post in quotes ("port"). Nonetheless, Mea Culpa for that.

That said, I still suggest that those who can find it outside of California try Quady's "Starboard" (made in the STYLE of fine port from Portugal).