Packing - Venice to Barcelona

royalbull

First time cruiser -- wondering what you pack for a 12 day Venice to Barcelona cruise -- seems that we have 5 'dinner reservations' and we will be going to the Vintners dinner....any tips/pointers would be appreciated!!

As long as you do not wear shorts t-shirts & flip flops to the dining venues you should be OK

Nice slacks polo shirt or dress shirt for men ...jacket optional

Nice slacks, skirt nice top or dress for the ladies

You can dress fancier if you want

Looks like we're on the same cruise royalbull! This is our first cruise and I'm fully aware I'm probably taking more than I need to. I've just gone through the clothes we're packing. Hubby has a couple of pairs of casual and dress pants and long and short sleeve shirts and polo shirts. He's also taking a jacket but only because it's his favourite. We're also both taking jeans for our travel days. I'm taking a couple of casual dresses for nighttime dinners, capris, tops and casual pants for during the day. The weather looks good and I'm really looking forward to this!

Edited by m1k2s3

We are currently packing for 11 days at sea:

Husband is bringing 5 shirts to wear for dinner that go with 2 pair of slacks.

He is also bringing 5 shirts for day. He will wear some of those shirts to dinner with the slacks. He gets cold and will bring a blazer. He will wear jeans for day. A couple pullover sweaters for him. 2 pair of shoes - one casual dress. One dress shirt and tie to make me happy with the blaser for a specialty restaurant.

For me - one little black dress. One pair of slinky black pants with a top that matches with sparklys on it. A tank top to match the pants and a light lace jacket, a few scarves and a silk top/jacket and a couple more tops to wear for night with those pants. Some costume jewelery to change it up. Two pair of flats.

For day: three pair of jeans, two pair of yoga pants and leggings. Some tshirts and a windbreaker to wear with the jeans. Some tunic tops for the leggings. A travel jacket with a hood. Two pair of shoes.

You didn't mention what month you will be sailing. In terms of packing, keep in mind that July and August are extremely hot in the Med. (still quite warm in June). So, when you go off of the ship, you want to wear the coolest clothing possible (and remember to have water with you:-)

My plan for an O cruise in the Med in summer is simple because on O ships there are no formal nights and the atmosphere is casual.

* for daytime I take cotton short sleeve shirts for both me and my DH, with shorts for non church tours and capris and pants for tours to churches, which require shoulders and knees to be covered. I take around 5 shirts, 2 shorts, and 2 capris in white, black and khaki. I also take a pair of shorts in fun colors for shipboard. I take same amount of shirts and shorts for DH, but also light khaki pants. For footwear, I recommend cross trainers for touring and light sandals for pool.

* For dinner and evening jersey knit dresses, palazzo pants and interchangeable jersey knit tops (3 dresses, 1 black pants, 3 tops maximum!) including the little black dress! To change the look, I take pashminas or wraps that go with different jewelry and only one pair of black evening sandals. The DH gets 3 resort shirts (think Cubavera or Tommy Bahama), 2 long sleeve dress shirts, one black pant, one light tan linen blend pant and one lightweight pair of black shoes (Clarks lace up type). I also take one cardigan sweater in black.

* I live in Hawaii where it is hot and humid and I highly recommend that for the Med which is similar in the summer, that you take breathable fabrics like jersey rayon or cotton, NOT polyester or you will be dripping and your makeup will run. I prefer jerseys for evening because they don't wrinkle and are very light to pack. Cottons during the day or dri fit or climalite performance wear. I will take 2 of these for workout wear and days that are extremely warm.

* Unmentionables;), 7 undies a piece is my rule, including socks, drawers and 3 bras. I would rather have laundry done than lug around heavy bags.

All of this along with toiletries, electronics, jewelry, camera and accessories fits into a carryon sized piece of luggage and two under seat luggage carryons (I like Travelpro). I will be taking this exact list on my 30 day trip to Europe, including a 10 day cruise, a week in Italy and a week in Scotland. Carry an all purpose jacket onto the plane.

Edited by kekilia

I've become a big fan of nylon convertible trousers (zip-offs) for daytime excursion wear. Unless it's chilly weather, I no longer pack jeans, too heavy. I have also taken to wearing sandals because of comfort and they pack so easily. I have closed toe dressy sandals for evening which go well with Docker style trousers.

I've become a big fan of nylon convertible trousers (zip-offs) for daytime excursion wear. Unless it's chilly weather, I no longer pack jeans, too heavy.

So has my husband. He also wore them in chilly weather. One of the Canadians in our group had a pair that was slightly heavier than his. A good thing: They dry fast.

I am happy that we don't have to take the heavy jeans any more. The trousers look better than jeans anyway and can be worn in areas where jeans are inappropriate.

My biggest tip is to cross pack, if checking luggage. Some clothes for each of you in each suitcase, so that if one suitcase gets lost, you both still have clothes.

Also in the roll aboards, we each have a dinner outfit, a couple of day outfits, and PJs, so if both checked pieces get lost, we can still function!

My biggest tip is to cross pack, if checking luggage. Some clothes for each of you in each suitcase, so that if one suitcase gets lost, you both still have clothes.

Also in the roll aboards, we each have a dinner outfit, a couple of day outfits, and PJs, so if both checked pieces get lost, we can still function!

We always cross pack. A lot more effort deciding but worth it in the long run. Coming home is a breeze, just throw it all in willy nilly:)

I with the cross packing crowd as well

Check out Tilley clothes we have the zip off & the straight leg slacks both will dry overnight if you need to hand wash

We have the heavier fabric ones ( all come with secret pockets) :D

If I need to take jeans for cold weather cruises we wear them on the flight

Lyn

my biggest tip is to cross pack, if checking luggage. Some clothes for each of you in each suitcase, so that if one suitcase gets lost, you both still have clothes.

Also in the roll aboards, we each have a dinner outfit, a couple of day outfits, and pjs, so if both checked pieces get lost, we can still function!

+ 1 !

I with the cross packing crowd as well

Check out Tilley clothes we have the zip off & the straight leg slacks both will dry overnight if you need to hand wash

We have the heavier fabric ones ( all come with secret pockets) :D

If I need to take jeans for cold weather cruises we wear them on the flight

Lyn

Greetings, Lyn. Even though we use Luggage Forward, we cross pack. So far, everything has arrived but I still do it. We always arrive a few days early, so we live out of our carry ons. I pack a sample of everything in each checked bag. That way, along with our carry ons, we will manage with whatever arrives. Theoretically, we could survive carry on only carry on. However, a cruise is a special occasion and barely enough is not enough. Anyway, happy packing.

Mary

I am the one you see with the porter and three full sized suitcases for two people. That is paired down. It used to be four.

We normally travel with so much luggage that anyone would think that Elizabeth Taylor was a poor relation, but Venice is the one exception. It is wretched to travel with any number of cases around Venice.

IMG_6813.jpg

We booked a water taxi from airport to hotel, and hotel to port, so we didn't have stairs, public transit, etc to do on our own. It was a bit of a walk to the water taxi stand at the airport, but I don't recall stairs, could be wrong.

I love the willy nilly comment..how true! Just jam it in!

I am the one you see with the porter and three full sized suitcases for two people. That is paired down. It used to be four.

That used to be me! Especially on Celebrity with formal nights! I once took two formal gowns for a 7 night cruise! Not anymore. For me, it was too much trouble to keep track of it all - I would lose something in my suitcase and spend two hours looking for it, then have to repack it all! I have found a happy medium, I believe. On this upcoming 10 night cruise, I have something unique to wear to dinner each night, a fancy cocktail dress for La Reserve, and that little black dress for Red Ginger!:D

The summer Europe/Med Cruises are easy - every thing is light weight;

It's the shoulder season where you have to layer and can't predict weather. When I started packing for the cruise I am leaving for tomorrow weather was supposed to average highs of upper 50's. Now there are temps in the 70's and 80's.

I think we're on the same cruise as the OP. I'm an insatiable over-packer - I'm very organised. I think about what we need to take, lay everything out, put it in the suitcases, and then when everything is packed I go back to the closet and get everything I've 'forgotten'. My husband says it's a disease. I can't bear to be without everything I might conceivably need. Each to their own:)