Guaranteed cabins.

Pamela1

I'm sure we can cope just fine with the standard suites. We handle the 200' cabins on the PG just fine. Jackie, your husband would like the suites on River Tosca in Egypt--I can't find the square footage but I'm sure it was over 400'.

At the right time, I'll talk to my TA about being on the alert to upgrades. We do enjoy a good-sized cabin, especially on an 18-day trip.

Wendy,

Mariner is our favourite ship, mainly because of the layout of the public areas and pool deck.

Yes the basic suites are smaller than Navigator & Voyager, and on longer voyages (more than 10 days) we usually opt for a PH.

One thing you should consider on Mariner is whether you want the bath (tub) with shower over or shower only. We always opt for the shower only as the tub with shower over appears to give the worst experience for both showering and bathing.

When we opted for a GTY on Mariner we asked for our shower preference to be noted and got what we requested

With an H GTY it is likely that you will get a G as there are so few H suites. However, you are very unlikely to get a PH without paying extra.

Best wishes for your cruise

Wendy,

Mariner is our favourite ship, mainly because of the layout of the public areas and pool deck.

Yes the basic suites are smaller than Navigator & Voyager, and on longer voyages (more than 10 days) we usually opt for a PH.

One thing you should consider on Mariner is whether you want the bath (tub) with shower over or shower only. We always opt for the shower only as the tub with shower over appears to give the worst experience for both showering and bathing.

When we opted for a GTY on Mariner we asked for our shower preference to be noted and got what we requested

With an H GTY it is likely that you will get a G as there are so few H suites. However, you are very unlikely to get a PH without paying extra.

Best wishes for your cruise

What was it about the tub that you didn't like? We are on Regent for the first time in Sep and we do have a tub (and I think) shower combination?

What was it about the tub that you didn't like? We are on Regent for the first time in Sep and we do have a tub (and I think) shower combination?

There were complaints for years about the tub/shower on the Mariner. The bathtub is too high and the ceiling is too low. Many people find it difficult to get out of the tub (including able bodied passengers). It is a BIG step down so it is easy to trip. Also, if you are tall, your head just about hits the ceiling (not dangerous - just annoying). Many of the suites were turned into shower-only suites (nice, large showers).

There are some passengers that insist on having a bathtub so the bathtub/shower suites remain. Interestingly, on the new ship, there are no bathtubs in PH and a few other suite categories. This makes some of us happy and others not so much.

The Mariner is beautiful -- enjoy your cruise! IMO, the bathtub/shower is workable - you just need to be careful.

Edited by Travelcat2

There were complaints for years about the tub/shower on the Mariner. The bathtub is too high and the ceiling is too low. Many people find it difficult to get out of the tub (including able bodied passengers). It is a BIG step down so it is easy to trip. Also, if you are tall, your head just about hits the ceiling (not dangerous - just annoying). Many of the suites were turned into shower-only suites (nice, large showers).

There are some passengers that insist on having a bathtub so the bathtub/shower suites remain. Interestingly, on the new ship, there are no bathtubs in PH and a few other suite categories. This makes some of us happy and others not so much.

The Mariner is beautiful -- enjoy your cruise! IMO, the bathtub/shower is workable - you just need to be careful.

Thanks! I'm glad because we are on a B2B and I didn't think we'd be able to secure the same cabin on both cruises if we switched at this point.

Patti

You can see which suites have bathtubs and which have shower-only on the deck plans (shower-only are marked with a star)

Attached pictures show the different arrangements

In the suites that have been converted to shower only (the majority) the shower uses all the space originally occupied by the (short) bathtub

Mariner_Bath.jpg.52336a24c83d847b3e1f8d7b129893ea.jpg

Mariner_shower.jpg.c8b5ea7f04c0630662968a6d6cb673ad.jpg

You can see which suites have bathtubs and which have shower-only on the deck plans (shower-only are marked with a star)

Attached pictures show the different arrangements

In the suites that have been converted to shower only (the majority) the shower uses all the space originally occupied by the (short) bathtub

Thanks! I see that now in the brochure. I never even looked to see what the stars were. Regent told us how to tell which side the bed and bathroom are on from the room diagram on the deck plans but not about the shower.

I have a question about shower lines. Do the tub and the separate shower both have shower lines to pull across where you can hang wet bathing suits or clothes?

Thanks! I see that now in the brochure. I never even looked to see what the stars were. Regent told us how to tell which side the bed and bathroom are on from the room diagram on the deck plans but not about the shower.

I have a question about shower lines. Do the tub and the separate shower both have shower lines to pull across where you can hang wet bathing suits or clothes?

Well I have an answer about the shower regarding the shower line. In another thread someone said the shower has the line. Just don't know about the bathtub now.

• 4 months later...
Could anyone please explain the logic to Regent of guaranteed suites. If some are available why not just give, and allow you to book, the suite numbers.

My understanding is as follows:

At the time you book a GTY there are no suites in that category available, however Regent guarantee that you will be accommodated in that category or higher

Between the time you book and sailing date some passengers may cancel and some may upgrade (possibly through Regent offering them an 'upsell' at a favourable price) thus freeing up suites in the GTY category

If insufficient suites come available then you will be allocated a suite in a higher grade but at no additional cost, so sometimes a GTY can be very good value. However you do not have a choice over the suite eventually allocated - which may be very close to sailing date or even as late as check-in on board

We have booked GTYs in the past and have been very happy with the suite we were finally given

GTYs can be hit-or-miss. We booked my in-laws to accompany us on our last cruise well after we had booked, and they had an F GTY - about a week prior to sailing, they were notified that they were sailing in a PH A. Of course, on Navigator these suites are the same size but come in nicer locations and include a butler. Usually about a $4-5K price difference. Not too bad...