Explorer cancellation

Gray Eagle02

My husband and I have been scheduled for the 2Nov Tel Aviv-Rome cruise for about 18 months. On 13 Oct he had a serious accident that will preclude travel. I understood that Regent had no obligation for any refunds and, as always, had travel insurance. However, we had nothing to lose by asking that the funds be transferred to a future, more expensive cruise. Our TA's request went all the way up to the VP level who refused. I thought all along this would be the answer as the contract is very clear. So I'll file the claim. What was of particular interest was the VPs report that the cruise is only 65% booked.

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your husband's accident. I'm glad you had the insurance! I understand Regent's policy on this and you're right - it never hurts to ask. But I'm curious if they gave you any reason why they wouldn't transfer your credit to a future booking. Seems to me that that would make better business sense, knowing you have a future (more expensive) booking as opposed to having your customer file a claim and they may or may not book with you in the future...

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your husband's accident. I'm glad you had the insurance! I understand Regent's policy on this and you're right - it never hurts to ask. But I'm curious if they gave you any reason why they wouldn't transfer your credit to a future booking. Seems to me that that would make better business sense, knowing you have a future (more expensive) booking as opposed to having your customer file a claim and they may or may not book with you in the future...

Bill, if they let you just transfer, there are many that will book a maybe cruise and if they can't get the time off work just cancel at last minutes and transfer funds to a future cruise.

Marc

PS There was probably a better name for this thread; however, it will be read by everyone. :D

Edited by Marq

Bill, if they let you just transfer, there are many that will book a maybe cruise and if they can't get the time off work just cancel at last minutes and transfer funds to a future cruise.

True, dat. I keep forgetting that there are a lot of people who always try and game the system. Makes it tougher for people who don't...

I go my info from my TA who made an inquiry through her contact at Regent. That contact called one of the VPs and was told that because the cruise was only 65% booked there was no way they would transfer the funds. She also said that now that Regent is part of NCL such practices are strictly prohibited. I was not optimistic about the possibility of a transfer of funds to another cruise, but filing the claim is a tremendous amount of paperwork, which I wanted to avoid if possible. Anyway The contract is very clear--cancellation within 30 days of the cruise, regardless of the circumstances, equals loss of total cruise fare. I'm not angry at all, that's why I always get insurance, but was very surprised the cruise was only 65% booked. This is, after all, the Explorer and it is the inaugural season.

I just checked and there are one D, one E, eight F2 and seven G1 suites available. There are Guarantees for F1 and G2 suites. My guess is that the cruise is 90% to 95% full.

Your numbers agree with mine. Not sure where the V.P. got the misinformation about this cruise.

Gray Eagle02, what suite level were you booked in? Hope that your DH recovers quickly and fully.

We were Concierge level which I knew was wait listed so I thought they would have no problem filling the room. My husband suffered multiple complex facial fractures and a partial right thumb amputation. He subsequently had Plastic syrgery for facial reconstruction and hand surgery for right thumb stump revision. He's lucky he wasn't killed. He will never again do any pool maintenance-- this occurred when the pool filter casing cap was not correctly secured and hit him at very high velocity.

He is actually doing remarkably well but really is not up to a 10+ hour plane, even business class, or lengthy tours. These factors plus his significant dietary restrictions made the cruise out of the question.

I too questioned 65% booking, hence my post.

The closer to the boarding date the more chance you have that Regent might have a buyer (oversold) for your cabin. If the voyage is as full as T.C says, there is always a chance.

So, if you are not going to get any credit, I would wait until the last day to tell Regent that you were cancelling. You have nothing to lose and since there is no refund you have no legal obligation, as far as the insurance claim is concern to do otherwise.

Lastly, even though they said they would no give you a credit, if in future, if you do book a new cruise be sure that you remind Regent of this loss. You may be surprise that they may give you some partial credit. It has been done in the past

Also, have your travel agent at least get you Society days credit for the paid for voyage.

Hope your DH has a speedy recovery.

J 595/40

Already checked and we don't' get society credit despite having paid in full for the cruise. I checked because this cruise would have put us in the gold category.

That sounds a little petty. Try contacting Jason O'Keefe, who manages the SS Society to see if he might reconsider your status ( jokeefe@rssc.com )

Hope your husband recovers swiftly and fully

flossie009, thank you for sharing your contact Regent's Jason O'keefe suggestion esp. for Gray Eagle02. Well done!

And thanks UUNetBill for sharing Jason's Facebook presence with us.

Gray Eagle02, also sincere well wishes for your husband's speedy recovery and do hope y'all find a terrific new Regent voyage to enjoy.

If I may offer a suggestion along the lines of flossie009 for the next time a serious snafu with Regent occurs (hopefully for you never again :)). If your TA is not successful in helping to remedy your issue, our TA on one rare occasion recommended we contact the top leadership of Regent and ask for their assistance. This recommendation (contacting the President or CEO) was made suggesting that as a TA they do not offer the personal/intimate side of the issue as well as the guest who is experiencing it.

Therefore, believe if you had contacted a Regent senior leader (e.g., Randal Soy, Bob Binder or Jason Montague (President)) via private email before posting here on the Regent Board, they may have been able to have helped you move your cruise funds to a future cruise. Again, just my opinion--this worked for us once before (2008) with Regent when our TA could not get her senior Regent contact to honor a published cruise fare. Following my TA's advice, I then contacted the then President of Regent who honored the published cruise fare.

Wes, mostly agree with your post above but wanted to add that Bob Binder is President of Oceania and is only affiliated with Regent as President of a sister company. IMO, the suggestion to contact Jason O'Keefe for a Seven Seas Society question was the right person to contact. For higher level issues, I would go directly to Jason Montague.

Basically, we do not contact upper management unless the issue is very important -- IMO, this qualifies (although it is highly unlikely that the OP would receive what they are seeking - especially since they have insurance).

Regent has their rules and if they make exceptions, everyone would want the same exception. Hopefully the OP will receive a full refund from their insurance company:)

flossie009, thank you for sharing your contact Regent's Jason O'keefe suggestion esp. for Gray Eagle02. Well done!

And thanks UUNetBill for sharing Jason's Facebook presence with us.

Correction - it's Jason Montague on FB, not Jason O'Keefe - I got my Jasons confused, sorry!!

No worries Bill--your intent was generosity/sharing--as an avid FB user nice to see Regent Leaders/Crew using FB as well (Jaime Logan, Tim Rubacky, Abraham, Liz Guzman, Medwin, et. al) who freely share Regent updates. Just liked Jason M's FB page, again thanks for following up.

Also, fyi--copied today from the Leadership page of the rssc website (the top three leaders of RSSC are (not including Frank Del Rio): Jason Montague, Bob Binder (Vice Chair of RSSC (and Oceania), Randall Soy.

https://www.rssc.com/about/leadership/

Robert J. Binder

Vice Chairman

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Robert J. Binder is Vice Chairman of Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Prior to the acquisition of Prestige Cruise Holdings, Binder served as the Vice Chairman of Prestige since May 2011 and President of Prestige since January 2008, during which he oversaw the global expansion of the Prestige brands and was responsible for sales, marketing and branding efforts internationally. In his current role, Binder will continue building the Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas brands, enhancing the companies’ sales distribution channels and offering his high level of marketing expertise to the teams.

Binder is co-founder of Oceania Cruises, and played a key role in the development and design of new Oceania Cruises ships, new restaurant concepts and the introduction of The Culinary Center.

Before launching Oceania Cruises, Binder was the President of Meadowoods Consulting which provided consulting services to the financial and travel services industries. From 1992 to 2001, he held several executive posts in the cruise industry. Binder also held senior management positions at JP Morgan Chase, where he was a Strategic Planning Officer, and at Renaissance Cruises, where he was Vice President of Sales. Binder earned Master’s degrees in both Finance and Marketing from Cornell University and did his undergraduate studies at Purdue University.

Edited by WesW

I agree that the op is highly unlikely to receive relief from RSSC. I was scheduled for a 3 week trip from Barcelona to the Baltic, 3 years ago, and discovered much to my surprise I needed a kidney removal (cancer) and a quadruple bypass. Needless to say I had to cancel and got no relief. I am not upset, these things happen, and I still refuse to pay for insurance. Over our 35 year travel career since the kids left home we are WAY ahead of the game self insuring.

Wes, not sure if your information is old or if Mr. Binder holds both positions. Below (from the Oceania website) is part of the announcement regarding Bob Binder's new position:

September 26, 2016

Bob Binder Named President and Chief Executive Officer of Oceania Cruises Additional Appointments Made to Sales, Marketing and Public Relations

MIAMI, Florida-Monday, September 26, 2016-Oceania Cruises announced the appointment of Bob Binder to President & CEO along with additional appointments made to the Sales, Marketing and Public Relations teams which reaffirm the brand’s position as a market leader in the upper-premium cruise segment.

newlondon: Agree with your thinking regarding insurance. Also, please take care of yourself so can cruise for a many years to come:)

I agree that the op is highly unlikely to receive relief from RSSC. I was scheduled for a 3 week trip from Barcelona to the Baltic, 3 years ago, and discovered much to my surprise I needed a kidney removal (cancer) and a quadruple bypass. Needless to say I had to cancel and got no relief. I am not upset, these things happen, and I still refuse to pay for insurance. Over our 35 year travel career since the kids left home we are WAY ahead of the game self insuring.

We do not buy insurance to cover the cost of our trip as our credit card insurances generally cover the cost. However, we do buy it for the medical evacuation part when we are overseas. We put in the least amount you can cover and then buy $1M in evacuation. It also includes extra medical etc. Ends up costing less than $200 for both of us. After hearing of people who had heart attacks etc and the costs incurred we want to be able to be flown wherever we want/need to be treated.