Sky Traveling July 24th National Holiday Business Closed????? NOOOOOOO!

lkcous

Celebrations and Traditions

Since 1959, Cuba has celebrated July 26th as a public holiday and in 1976, the government added July 25 and 27th to the celebration. On all three days, offices, schools and businesses are closed. Rallies and speeches are held throughout Cuba to celebrate what one popular Cuban song calls “the happiest day in history.” The flag of the revolution, which is red and black with a 26 in the centre, is prominently displayed. Military members wear armbands that represent the flag.

Hello Has anyone hear of this????? These will be the days we will be docked there. Are business really going to be closed? No Rum Factory....No Cigar Tours....Shopping.... What will we be able to do? Do we even get off the boat. Anyone else wondering.....

We were in Jamaica during their independence day holiday, and it was fantastic. We saw so many festivals and parties that day. A lot of the tourist places were open (tours, and ship excursions) but stores and a lot of businesses were closed.

We had a great day and had a wonderful look at island culture up close. So much music and different types of events. Parades, beach festivals, etc.

Just think how cool it is for tourists to be here July 4th. You might be surprised by the extra opportunities you will have by being on that cruse.

Edited by AliceIn
Fixing my phone's ridiculous "corrections."

Celebrations and Traditions

Since 1959, Cuba has celebrated July 26th as a public holiday and in 1976, the government added July 25 and 27th to the celebration. On all three days, offices, schools and businesses are closed. Rallies and speeches are held throughout Cuba to celebrate what one popular Cuban song calls “the happiest day in history.” The flag of the revolution, which is red and black with a 26 in the centre, is prominently displayed. Military members wear armbands that represent the flag.

I

Hello Has anyone hear of this????? These will be the days we will be docked there. Are business really going to be closed? No Rum Factory....No Cigar Tours....Shopping.... What will we be able to do? Do we even get off the boat. Anyone else wondering.....

Whatever you think about the reasons for the celebrations can't you just join them? You may not be able to do the things you planned but who knows, maybe you will get memories for life?

We were in Jamaica during their independence day holiday, and it was fantastic. We saw so many festivals and parties that day. A lot of the tourist places were open (tours, and ship excursions) but stores and a lot of businesses were closed.

We had a great day and had a wonderful look at island culture up close. So much music and different types of events. Parades, beach festivals, etc.

Just think how cool it is for tourists to be here July 4th. You might be surprised by the extra opportunities you will have by being on that cruse.

We can still do excursions! Great! I was just wondering if we could. Thanks!

Whatever you think about the reasons for the celebrations can't you just join them? You may not be able to do the things you planned but who knows, maybe you will get memories for life?

Oh for sure we will join them! We did not plan anything yet....was not sure if we could. Thanks!

Yea, nothing sounds more fun than going on vacation and celebrating Fidel's good old Communist revolution. Fun, fun, fun. ;p

I agree with you, but I don't think that political discussions are allowed here! (Ironi, right? )

People who goes there might have another perspective than me and that's up to them.

Would def be worth checking out cruise line excursions for your stop. Ive read several posts from people traveling over major holidays that were still able to take excursions and see what they wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also on the July 24 Norwegian Sky.

We also have July 25 OldCarsTours reservations, so that presumably will be open.

But what about places like Sloppy Joes, La Boguedita Del Medio, and El Floridita?

NCL does not run the tours. You'll know once you get on board and find the letter in your cabin saying that the local tour company is unable to operate the tours as planned and your money will be refunded as on board credit.

So does that mean yes or no on whether restaurants will be open or closed on July 25?

Sounds like no restaurants run by the government will be open. Ask your private tour guide if he knows of any private/home restaurants open for the holiday.

So I did just get a response back from our tour guide, he stated that his understanding is that all private locations will be open, and that "at least the majority" of Sloppy Joes/Floridita/La Boguedita Del Medio will be open.

We can still do excursions! Great! I was just wondering if we could. Thanks!

The poster you quote was talking about Jamaica, not Cuba. You cannot assume that because excursions were available for them in a free country that they will be available for you on national,holidays in a communist dictatorship.

Just heard back from another tour guide (one that we hope to be able to use!) that places like Sloppy Joes, El Floridita and La Boguedita Del Medio are "generally open on Cuban holidays".

Hoping for the best!