Shorts in the dining room

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:13 PM.
Florida
48 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Can my husband wear short in the dining room? I'm not talking jean shorts but regular nice looking short with a nice shirt?
New Jersey
954 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by KCI
We sail on Feb 26 aboard Island Princess to the Panama Canal. Never sailed Princess before. Can men wear nice dress shorts and shirt in the main dining room? Thanks.
NEVER for dinner. I think it's okay for breakfast and lunch. It is ok for tea time.
San Francisco
1,897 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Shorts are allowed for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greg (posting) & Francesca

Previous cruises:
Western Caribbean
Hawaii
Mexican Riviera
Eastern Caribbean
Hawaii
Southern Caribbean
Alaska
3,557 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Shorts are allowed in Dining room in the morning or at lunch. If he wants to wear shorts in the evening, he can wear them in the buffet. They are not permitted in the dining room at dinner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Princess Cruise…. A Royal Treat - Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2023448
From Royal to Regal...review Dec. 2014
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2144543
Caribbean Princess Review-Revisiting Grand Class after Royal Class
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2179869
Regal Princess-Nov. 29-Dec.13, 2015, Notes and Pictures
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2294724

Home Lines, Doric (7 days)
HAL, Noordam,(7 days)
Coral Princess (10 days)
Emerald Princess(42 days)
Crown Princess, (21days)
Star Princess,(48 days)
Caribbean Princess, (17 days)
Royal Princess (7 days)
Regal Princess (21)

Future- Regal Princess Dec. 10, 2017
Coastal North Carolina
6,996 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Exactly as others have said..and on recent cruises have seen the Maitre D' turn men at the main dining room away who wore shorts for dinner...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunsetbeachgal. Princess Elite Member, HAL *** Mariner
From the Sunny North Carolina Coast

Next: British Isles, Royal Princess June, 2018

Completed: Regal Princess, Feb 2017, Oasis of the Seas, Nov., 2016, Regal Princess Repo. Oct. 2016, Scenic Cruises Rhine River, June, 2016, Coral Princess Carib., Jan, 2016, HAL Eurodam, N. Europe, June, 2015, Regal Princess Carib., Jan. 2015, HAL Prinsendam, No. Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Carib., Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Carib., May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Carib. Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Carib., Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Carib.- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Carib.-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Carib.-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Carib.-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Carib.-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Med.-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Carib.-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Carib.-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/N.E.-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating 35 years of cruising!
South Carolina
28,256 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Shorts are perfectly fine for the MDR (Main Dining Room) for breakfast and lunch. That's what we normally wear.

Dinner: No! Long pants will be needed.

Some seem to actually enjoy eating in the Buffet and not because of being able to wear shorts ... just because they like doing it better. We met a super nice couple recently who either had dinner at a $peciality restaurant (long pants needed) or the Buffet every night. When they came to the bar for pre dinner drinks, everyone would always know to which they were going by if he had on long pants or shorts ... and we'd joke with them about it. Another nice couple always "dressed" for dinner but always ate at the Buffet because they liked doing it better.

Do what suits you and have a WONDERFUL cruise!

LuLu
~~~~
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,788 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by highheel girl
No matter how many times you ask it, its still no at dinner!
This is one of those cases where the answer never changes or varies: no shorts, whether "dress" or not, at dinner in the dining room. You'll be turned away and asked to change. Same for the specialty restaurants. If you want to wear shorts, the Grill will be open as well as the buffet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Island Princess -- 19-day Partial Panama Canal 11/16/16
Ruby Princess -- 6-day Wine Country Coastal 4/29/17
Emerald Princess -- 12-day round-trip LA <> Alaska 4/27/18
139 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
No for dinner, I speak from experience. Went to dinner one night it never dawned on me I was wearing shorts. They sent me back for pants. They did let men wear shorts on the last evening of the cruise.

~~Joel~~
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2011 Navigator of the Seas
2011 Explorer of the Seas
2012 Coral Princess
2014 Explorer of the Seas
2015 Independence of the Seas
2016 Royal Princess
2017 Carnival Magic
2017 Oasis of the Seas

Texas
4,638 Posts
Joined May 2000
Thank goodness that Princess has not degenerated into a Carnival/NCL type atmosphere. We were disappointed to see that Royal Caribbean was not stopping people going to dinner in the MDR in shorts on our Jan. cruise.
Moncton,New Brunswick.Canada.
1,150 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I did it once in close to 20 cruises and got away with it.(only because I had a migraine and just couldn't change)Nothing was said,possibly because I got in so fast and table cloth hid the shorts.I wouldn't try it again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1990 Carnival Tropical -Carribbean.7 Sea Days
2003 Nile River Cruise....10days
2007 Royal Carribbean-Mediterranean.14 Sea Days
[color=#000080]
1990 to 2013...16 Princess Cruises

Elite Cruiser since 2010.
South Carolina
948 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Pam in CA
This is one of those cases where the answer never changes or varies: no shorts, whether "dress" or not, at dinner in the dining room. You'll be turned away and asked to change. Same for the specialty restaurants. If you want to wear shorts, the Grill will be open as well as the buffet.
First night on board you will be able to wear shorts as many people have not had their luggage delivered. We actually did see someone turned away for wearing shorts on a non-formal night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises
Disney Dream 09/15
Carnival Inspiration 2/09
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fascination 2/07
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,788 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by bunny1954
First night on board you will be able to wear shorts as many people have not had their luggage delivered.
That's interesting because ever since Princess initiated the paper luggage tags that you print off several years ago, my luggage has arrived before or during Muster on every single cruise. One time, it arrived fifteen minutes after I boarded and got to my cabin. I think "late" luggage is either an excuse or not as usual as it used to be.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Island Princess -- 19-day Partial Panama Canal 11/16/16
Ruby Princess -- 6-day Wine Country Coastal 4/29/17
Emerald Princess -- 12-day round-trip LA <> Alaska 4/27/18
Texas
4,638 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Pam in CA
That's interesting because ever since Princess initiated the paper luggage tags that you print off several years ago, my luggage has arrived before or during Muster on every single cruise. One time, it arrived fifteen minutes after I boarded and got to my cabin. I think "late" luggage is either an excuse or not as usual as it used to be.
And how difficult is it to pack a pair of slacks and a polo shirt in your carryon?

We always pack a change of clothes whether flying or cruising because you never know what could happen to your luggage.
We were stranded overnight without luggage once when all the airports up and down the East Coast were shut down due to thunderstorms. Luckily, we were in Pittsburgh and they have a mall inside the airport so we went from shop to shop buying underwear, pj's, shirts and toiletries before heading to a hotel for the night. We never travel without a full change of clothes and necessary toiletries in the carryon after that episode.

The latest we ever got luggage was at 7pm on a RCI cruise and that was because they had problems with the luggage scanners. Some passengers did not get it until the next morning. Our Suite Attendant went down to deck 1 and found our luggage for us and brought it up. I just loved that guy!

Normally we have it before we ever sail and I am usually unpacked and have the luggage stowed away before the muster drill.

We always choose late dining so we have time to shower and change before dinner, even on the first night.