Suddenly "Waiting list" for Select Dining??

spanner14

Morning folks,

We booked our upcoming cruise back in October last year, pre-paid our Grats, and chose "Select Dining". No problems until after we paid final balance, and now we are showing as "Waiting List" for Select both online and on the latest invoice. :(

I've read of people wanting Traditional dining and being given Select with waiting list for Traditional, but not the other way round.

Anyone had this issue and know why we would suddenly be on the waiting list? I will phone X and ask but have to go out in a minute so can't risk half an hour on hold on the phone. :eek:

Thank you. :)

By creating the new suites dining room, the MDR has lost space some of its traditional space. That puts more people in select. Also, people in Suites can opt to eat in the MDR select section without a reservation. They bump everyone. It has put a real strain on Select Dining. If you are in select dining with or without a reservation, you will wait. They use a beeper system.

By creating the new suites dining room, the MDR has lost space some of its traditional space. That puts more people in select. Also, people in Suites can opt to eat in the MDR select section without a reservation. They bump everyone. It has put a real strain on Select Dining. If you are in select dining with or without a reservation, you will wait. They use a beeper system.

Why would any suite passenger opt to use the select MDR rather than Luminae?

But more to the point for the OP, how come X have taken pre paid grats from him but only put him on a waitlist???

emphasis added

This statement implies 100% certainty that you will wait. From what I have been reading that is not the case. Maybe on a longer cruise with more seasoned pax, all wanting 6 - 6:30. I would be willing to bet that it is not a certainty in all cases.

emphasis added

This statement implies 100% certainty that you will wait. From what I have been reading that is not the case. Maybe on a longer cruise with more seasoned pax, all wanting 6 - 6:30. I would be willing to bet that it is not a certainty in all cases.

Just off Infinity and there was no wait for select ~630- there was a wait at 8

But more to the point for the OP, how come X have taken pre paid grats from him but only put him on a waitlist???

They may have friends or family sailing with them in non-suites, and so they all want to eat together in the MDR. (Luminae is $50 per person to bring a non-suite passenger in with the suite passenger, and it's on a space-available basis.)

He's on a waitlist for select, so they took the pre-paid gratuities.

It's likely he'll get select - if not before, then while onboard, so don't worry about it before you need to worry about it.

Don't mean to go off topic but I have a quick question.

I have never done Celebrity Select Dining and I am booked for it on our upcoming Solstice Alaskan cruise in a few weeks. What is the good, bad and the ugly?

FYI, we are a group of 3 that would prefer a table to ourselves (our family time) and we will most likely dine around 6-6:30pm time frame. Will we be waiting forever for a table? I tried the 6pm traditional dining but it was waitlist and I figured it would be nice to try the Select Dining. Hope I didn't make a huge mistake.

Don't mean to go off topic but I have a quick question.

I have never done Celebrity Select Dining and I am booked for it on our upcoming Solstice Alaskan cruise in a few weeks. What is the good, bad and the ugly?

FYI, we are a group of 3 that would prefer a table to ourselves (our family time) and we will most likely dine around 6-6:30pm time frame. Will we be waiting forever for a table? I tried the 6pm traditional dining but it was waitlist and I figured it would be nice to try the Select Dining. Hope I didn't make a huge mistake.

I would go online and book your preferred select dining times in the cruise planner. We do this all the time. Johanne

They may have friends or family sailing with them in non-suites, and so they all want to eat together in the MDR. (Luminae is $50 per person to bring a non-suite passenger in with the suite passenger, and it's on a space-available basis.)

He's on a waitlist for select, so they took the pre-paid gratuities.

It's likely he'll get select - if not before, then while onboard, so don't worry about it before you need to worry about it.

Thanks everyone. Just spoke with a very helpful chap (having meandered through the 500 options on the phone menu :eek:) and apparently we definitely have Select Dining. He basically said to ignore the online "waiting list" remark because the website is incorrect (he's right there; it's not showing my daughter's drinks package but fortunately the invoice is). He also said they've been asking for about 5 years to have it worded differently on the invoice as it is confusing.

What is more concerning is having to wait a long time for select; the reason we go Select/Anytime is that I'm disabled and am in constant pain. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to dress and get to dinner by 6.30, hence Select is usually better. Sitting isn't comfortable but standing is pretty much agony so the thought of being bumped by Suite Folks and having to wait 30 minutes is not appealing in the least.

On Royal we used to eat around 7 ish most nights; would we be better going to the MDR earlier on Connie?

Thanks for all your help so far! :) PS I am a "she" ;)

I think the OP's point is that She has 'suddenly' been put on the wait list.

When she booked, she asked for Select and so they took her gratuities.

BTW, I have just gone into my reservation and it shows that I have opted for 'Select' dining, but both first and second sitting are unavailable.

This is for my cruise to the Baltics on 25 th July.

As a cruiser in a Balcony cabin, I have to eat in MDR.

Luminae was created for Suite cruisers, let them eat there. Why should they take up my space, I'm not allowed in theirs.:eek:

Edited by upwarduk

There is a regular contributor on here that travels in Suites and spent every night in the Select area of the MDR. I mace the point on a thread that not only have club dining spaces been pushed into Select but suite passengers have priority there too (as well as having access to Blue).

We are on Eclipse in 2 weeks and it will be interesting to see if there is any more pressure on Select dining. On our previous 3 cruises on Eclipse we have never had to wait.

Its awkward having pre-dinner drinks then going to dinner only to be turned away with a buzzer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.... He basically said to ignore the online "waiting list" remark because the website is incorrect (he's right there; it's not showing my daughter's drinks package but fortunately the invoice is). He also said they've been asking for about 5 years to have it worded differently on the invoice as it is confusing.

Seems like the Celebrity website strikes again! :D

Seems like the Celebrity website strikes again! :D

Oh yes indeed! :D

In between the website and the phone options menu (more choices than Virgin Media and THAT'S saying something) I was just about ready to give up! :eek::D

There is a regular contributor on here that travels in Suites and spent every night in the Select area of the MDR. I mace the point on a thread that not only have club dining spaces been pushed into Select but suite passengers have priority there too (as well as having access to Blue).

We are on Eclipse in 2 weeks and it will be interesting to see if there is any more pressure on Select dining. On our previous 3 cruises on Eclipse we have never had to wait.

Its awkward having pre-dinner drinks then going to dinner only to be turned away with a buzzer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are on the same cruise Kevin, so I will look out for you creating mayhem at the select desk, and hold your coat if you get into a fight.;)