Hurricane season...ever been cancelled or re routed?

Reenie75

Ok I've been on cruises although never in hurricane season. We are leaving Sept 9th Divina :D. My sister a newbie is freaking me out with her comments about Tropical Storm Irma (they say will turn into a hurricane :( ) she's travelling with me on this cruise. I tried to rest assure her cruise lines are safe they won't play Russian Roulette on any island if they think it's unsafe.

Ever be on a cruise line where it gets cancelled or rerouted?

Go away Irma!:mad:

There have been a few cruises recently that have been rerouted or cancelled. If there was an hurricane in the eastern Caribbean then they may switch the itinerary around and do a western Caribbean cruise or amend the itinerary to visit the ports on different days. They definitely won't sail the ship anywhere near an hurricane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok I've been on cruises although never in hurricane season. We are leaving Sept 9th Divina :D. My sister a newbie is freaking me out with her comments about Tropical Storm Irma (they say will turn into a hurricane :( ) she's travelling with me on this cruise. I tried to rest assure her cruise lines are safe they won't play Russian Roulette on any island if they think it's unsafe.

Ever be on a cruise line where it gets cancelled or rerouted?

Go away Irma!:mad:

Yes:rolleyes: My got cancelled because hurricane Ivan. Know people who cruised to Canada instead of Caribbean .

My first ever cruise, we were in the Gulf of Mexico, heading for Tampa from New Orleans, when a hurricane hit the Gulf. We ended up with 2 extra nights onboard enjoying beautiful sunshine and calm seas while we waited for the port of Tampa to re-open. ;p

We were on a ship that was near a Hurricane but the Captain went behind an Island and we didn't even know there was a hurricane until the next day when we docked in Barbados and only the port shops were open as everything else had no power and streets were blocked with debris.

We have actually sailed through three violent storms-hurricanes and you will survive to tell the tale. 99% of the time the ship simply sails around it. Hurricanes are about 200 miles in circumference and a ship can sail more than 400 miles in 24 hours...so stop worrying. :)

This week's Divina itinerary was changed early this evening due to Hurricane Irma. Instead of the eastern Caribbean, they re-routed it to the Western. They're stopping at different ports (I'm sure due to availability and increased traffic, so to speak) but they're staying clear of the storm and going to Costa Maya, Montego Bay, and Grand Cayman.

I did some research about hurricanes before our cruise last month bc two were churning in the Atlantic, headed towards the Caribbean. Satellite weather systems are so sophisticated on cruise ships that hurricanes/storms are rarely ever an issue. As others said above, ships sail around them or avoid them. Happy and Safe Sailing!

Yes, I have been rerouted before, which axed my stop in Grand Cayman and replaced it with stops in Nassau and CocoCay, as well as reorganized our call at Key West. Also, I have been on cruises where we have arrived late or skipped a port altogether due to a storm. It sucks in the moment, but looking back, I'm glad they did, because cruising through a Hurricane is not fun. I cruised through Sandy and I would never want to do that again. If they reroute you, I promise it's in your best interest. Just go and enjoy yourself!

They have a plan. I'm on Divina on the 9th also. I live in Orlando but will be in Miami Thursday. I have a hurricane plan also!!

I heard they are probably going to do our run backwards. They will head straight to Mexico. If we can get on the ship Saturday I'm not going to worry. Hurricane expected Sunday / Monday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app