Majestic Princess New additions!

princessfanboy

Exactly! The video piqued my interest in sailing the Majestic next summer in the Med but after researching the changes decided that overall the Majestic wasn't a good option for me. I think there are some good changes from other Royal-class ships such as a covered pool. Although being the Hollywood Pool Club the name seems to be an indication that there'll be a fee like for the adjacent Hollywood Conservatory that's replacing The Sanctuary.

Not being from China I'm not the demographic the ship was designed to attract & for me there are too many spaces dedicated to gaming. With the Princess Theater & Princess Live being the only remaining entertainment venues that's a deal breaker for me.

So Dave, when do we see photographic analysis of the Majestic like you've done for other ships. ;)

will the Hollywood conservatory have a fee associated with it. Will the covered pool still be free?

The pool on the Royal and Regal was called the "Sanctuary Pool" and didn't have the fees for use that the Sanctuary itself did so I would hope the Hollywood Pool Club would be the same. :confused:

Celebrity has an indoor adult-only free pool and it's one of our favorite areas on the ship. Hoping for the same from Princess!

The pool on the Royal and Regal was called the "Sanctuary Pool" and didn't have the fees for use that the Sanctuary itself did so I would hope the Hollywood Pool Club would be the same. :confused:

Celebrity has an indoor adult-only free pool and it's one of our favorite areas on the ship. Hoping for the same from Princess!

Sorry to correct you but on the Royal and Regal the pool is part of the Retreat and is called the Retreat Pool. The Retreat is separate from the Sanctuary. Now the two areas are called the Hollywood Pool Club and Hollywood Conservatory which could imply that they are connected and not separate. Once again, we may need to wait until launch to find out [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can't book and won't see them. It is strictly a charter through the Chinese government. I believe it it a 2 year agreement.

Wow has this happened before. When they said built for Chinese market I didn't

Realize you had to be Chinese( live in China) to book them.

Are there other cruise lines that do this. I am booked on 4/9 majestic wasn't planning on going to China but I didn't realize I couldn't.

Kerri

Wow has this happened before. When they said built for Chinese market I didn't

Realize you had to be Chinese( live in China) to book them.

Are there other cruise lines that do this. I am booked on 4/9 majestic wasn't planning on going to China but I didn't realize I couldn't.

Kerri

I do not know about other lines. This is true of the Sapphire. It was also on Charter to the Chinese government. There are other princess ships that do the Far East open to everyone.

Sorry to correct you but on the Royal and Regal the pool is part of the Retreat and is called the Retreat Pool. The Retreat is separate from the Sanctuary. Now the two areas are called the Hollywood Pool Club and Hollywood Conservatory which could imply that they are connected and not separate. Once again, we may need to wait until launch to find out [emoji848]

It's always been the Retreat Pool on the Royal & Regal when I've sailed on them (first time was on the Royal's 2013 inaugural TA) and the deck plans in older Cruise Atlas brochures shows its always been the Retreat pool & it still has that name. There already is a fee to rent cabanas (but not for loungers) at the Retreat Pool & the next step could be a fee for the Hollywood pool to make it more exclusive.

But as Brian said, we'll have to wait to see if there's a fee for the Hollywood Pool Club. Maybe instead of the Wyland sea life painting on the Royal they'll have a painting of the Hollywood sign. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

It's always been the Retreat Pool on the Royal & Regal when I've sailed on them (first time was on the Royal's 2013 inaugural TA) and the deck plans in older Cruise Atlas brochures shows its always been the Retreat pool & it still has that name. There already is a fee to rent cabanas (but not for loungers) at the Retreat Pool & the next step could be a fee for the Hollywood pool to make it more exclusive.

But as Brian said, we'll have to wait to see if there's a fee for the Hollywood Pool Club. Maybe instead of the Wyland sea life painting on the Royal they'll have a painting of the Hollywood sign. ;)

My bad- we called it the Santuary Pool (because of location on the way to the Sanctuary) and I mistakenly thought that was the real name.

Sorry - me again. Am I reading this right ...... Unless I live in China I can't book a holiday on the Majestic once it leaves the Med....?

That is correct. If you search the Princess web site you will find a cruise from Singapore June 18th to Shanghai July 9th. I have looked and did not find anything for sale after that. As I said earlier I believe this is a 2 year commitment from Princess.

That is correct. If you search the Princess web site you will find a cruise from Singapore June 18th to Shanghai July 9th. I have looked and did not find anything for sale after that. As I said earlier I believe this is a 2 year commitment from Princess.

It could be longer. A three-party Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was recently signed with Carnival Corporation, Fincantieri, and China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) to explore the possibility of a joint venture in cruise ship design and shipbuilding for the Chinese market. There is commitment of four ships from Costa and one from Aida as well.

The Chinese market will exceed 2.5 million passengers in the next 3 years. I understand Norwegian and Royal Caribbean have similar arrangements as well. Royal Caribbean is building a dry dock facility to reoutfit a number of ships for the Chinese Market.

FWIW the average Chinese cruiser is between 25 and 45 years old. All travel is controlled by the state. Mah-jung rooms and larger Duty-free shipping areas will be critical. Shorter cruises to match the leave days etc will be common. As the state agencies start blocking rooms expect more changes in venues to meet their passengers tastes.

Reading this thread and several others this week Has been most entertaining. It certainly demonstrates why every major cruise company is looking at other markets...... Imagine the angst when the Horizon Court and other public feeding trough fans realize that venues is replaced by "street food boothes" I am sure most of the spaces will be multifunction....

I'm just looking forward to see her features and compare her to the Regal when we board her on April 16th on her third cruise :) There are obviously features that will not be added to the 4th or 5th Royal class ship if she is designed for the U.S. market but the covered Hollywood Pool Club would be a nice change for the Retreat area. Also the return of a partial "layer cake" design with 60 mini-suites added on Emerald deck and 58 deluxe balcony cabin above the minis with half covered Caribe deck sized balconies would be a nice addition on future ships. I'm thinking that the Vista Gaming Lounge will not be used for Mah Jongg on the Med cruises. Also, I wonder how much the VIP Gaming and Private Gaming rooms will be used in the Med. There will be two new specialty restaurants concepts exclusively on the Majestic so I assume that the French Bistrot will join the Harmony Chinese Retaurant as the two new specialty restaurant venues and over two weeks we will probably try both.

Kerri

Royal Caribbean does the same thing.

Edited by caribill

It could be longer. A three-party Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was recently signed with Carnival Corporation, Fincantieri, and China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) to explore the possibility of a joint venture in cruise ship design and shipbuilding for the Chinese market. There is commitment of four ships from Costa and one from Aida as well.

The Chinese market will exceed 2.5 million passengers in the next 3 years. I understand Norwegian and Royal Caribbean have similar arrangements as well. Royal Caribbean is building a dry dock facility to reoutfit a number of ships for the Chinese Market.

FWIW the average Chinese cruiser is between 25 and 45 years old. All travel is controlled by the state. Mah-jung rooms and larger Duty-free shipping areas will be critical. Shorter cruises to match the leave days etc will be common. As the state agencies start blocking rooms expect more changes in venues to meet their passengers tastes.

Reading this thread and several others this week Has been most entertaining. It certainly demonstrates why every major cruise company is looking at other markets...... Imagine the angst when the Horizon Court and other public feeding trough fans realize that venues is replaced by "street food boothes" I am sure most of the spaces will be multifunction....

Thank you very much for the additional information. I'm sure Princess will continue it's partnership in China. It is very lucrative. As you mentioned they are short cruises. Usually 4-5 days. The on board shops are high end and yes, it is all government controlled as the entire passenger load travels on a government issued group visa. They embark and disembark together in each port as a group.

I do not know about other lines. This is true of the Sapphire. It was also on Charter to the Chinese government. There are other princess ships that do the Far East open to everyone.

Thanks. Do you think that they will change policies?

Like allow smoking on ship.... If so I would imagine after its charter they would need a serious cleaning of ship.

Kerri

I received the new Captain's Circle magazine that has some additional information on the Majestic that I don't recall previously reading.

Vista Gaming Lounge: mahjong

Hollywood Pool Club: "Come nightfall, this space will host exciting events and nightlife, with club-quality sound and lighting affects".

Sing on the Sea Karaoke Suites: "If you're in the mood for more music, reserve one of the ship's six private karaoke suites".

Edited by Astro Flyer

Personally find the changes, majority of which obviously cater to the Asian market, to be very interesting.

Don't have much interest in the Karaoke and Majong aspects but am looking forward to the new specialty restaurants as well as what appears to be a very diverse selection of food in Horizon Court area.

We will be travelling with a group on friends on the Rome/Shanghai leg and think that the itinerary is really outstanding. While we have visited quite a few of these ports in the past there are enough new ones to make it something to very much anticipate.

I think it will be interesting to see the make up of the crew and also to see what is offered in the way of entertainment. Can't wait.:)

I received the new Captain's Circle magazine that has some additional information on the Majestic that I don't recall previously reading.

Sing on the Sea Karaoke Suites: "If you're in the mood for more music, reserve one of the ship's six private karaoke suites".

That will be interesting. Like the karaoke bars in Japan.

Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...