'Twas the Week Before Christmas - Live from the Eurodam

POA1

The Christmas decorations look lovely POA1. Looks like the "elves" were hard at work.

Kevin seems like a strange name for the Tamarind bar on the Koningsdam.

I know. It's odd that the Tamarind Bar on the Koningsdam would have the same name as the the Magrodome on the Nieuw Amsterdam. ;) I just like to throw "Kevin" in to see if people are paying attention. You were, so you get a gold star.

By the way, if you want to read a funny perspective on Dutch Christmas traditions, check out this piece:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/210776/hollands-annual-blackface-christmas-tradition-comes-to-its-usual-awkward-close-today/

And the short story by David Sedaris that inspired the article.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/sedaris/

While not very Christmas-y, I might as well post some front office photos while I'm in the general area.

ee5adae65a8797c5614c30d5fc9cff8c.jpg

The new Holland America privileges program is administered through the Future Cruise Desk.

ac18e0781ce0e2163808f25867b40c2b.jpg

Directly across from the front desk / guest services area is the shore excursions office.

5ebdf254be5abdde121c341f665e3c00.jpg

513378768cb0f1b6a7e7d0a817272e42.jpg

Many of HAL's ships have feature a large glass sculpture prominently in the atrium. My favorite is the Waterford seahorse on the Zuiderdam. The Eurodam's installation is "chandelier-inspired" according to Holland America's September 2008 press release on the ship. It's an "... an artistic cluster of transparent flowers descending from the ceiling. The white mother-of-pearl colored flowers... lit up in different shades that change throughout the day with brighter colors during the day and warmer colors through the evening."

26e5e7b1e5321f0e0d3a0f29dd33200e.jpg

I happened to catch it during its pink and violet period when it was evoking "underside of an iceberg at dusk." Perhaps I'll spend a full day staring up at it next time I'm on the Eurodam so I can catch the whole show. Also, if it changes color throughout the day, what happens when they change the ship's clocks to a new time zone? Does it cycle really fast? Blink like a strobe light? (Not sure why my brain works like this, but you know that little light that shows up above your head when you get an idea? Mine's on a dimmer switch.)

Edited by POA1

Wow just amazing pictures of various Eurodam venues. Cabana and menu information so helpful. This is definitely a 5 Star review. I very much appreciate of all the hours and hours you have spent to share the Eurodam and your cruise with us. Bravo POA!

8bb70b01bd91ae7f169d8fc324171c76.jpg

d6d7961b84bab6999c7cf885fdd4949b.jpg

4441502f5400fa08cf5c124efef168bf.jpg

Poohby Joe was trying to get us to buy a Holland America teddy bear, strip him of his little HAL t-shirt and leave him behind. Naked and alone. Poohby looks all cute and friendly, but underneath that fuzzy exterior and pink onesie lies some serious ambition.

G]

Poohby Joe was trying to get us to buy a Holland America teddy bear, strip him of his little HAL t-shirt and leave him behind. Naked and alone. Poohby looks all cute and friendly, but underneath that fuzzy exterior and pink onesie lies some serious ambition.

HaHa- I think I would be tempted to do that too. Can you blame the little guy for wanting a HAL t-shirt?

(.... and not wanting a brother bear in the family to compete with for attention)

Enjoying your review .... cant wait for our Eurodam Panama Canal cruise in April.

In addition to the larger public rooms, the Eurodam has a number of smaller function rooms that can be used for meetings or to host group events. One such room is the Stuyvesant room on Deck 3.

29c9345160cca5a2ffe462b18a858db8.jpg

If you are part of a group, you can use these facilities for a meeting. I like to find people in the hall and corral them into an impromptu meeting of the minds to future-think a holistic approach to synergy. (Always carry a USB memory stick with your PowerPoint slides on it.)

The Screening Room is the movie theatre on board the Eurodam. They typically show reasonably current films three or four times a day. (Take a look at my scans of the daily programs posted earlier for an example list.) The list of movies is usually what you'd expect to see on airplanes.

ae453de19024921129768a0ce6f406c8.jpg

The chairs are big and comfortable. Freshly popped popcorn is served, but come early to make sure you don't miss out.

80a427cb3103826e08388074938a5509.jpg

Because ours was a cruise right before Christmas, they mixed some holiday films in, including "White Christmas."

69263f5fbc2ebb6cbd7e155d3239421e.jpg

"White Christmas" is a 1954 romantic comedy starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen, and George Clooney's aunt. I realize that I said they normally show current run films, but someone might have set the ship's clock really far back. When I saw Christmas movies on the schedule, I was really hoping for that heart warming classic from nearly thee decades ago, "Die Hard."

Edited by POA1

Thanks so much for posting all of these photos and of course the menus. Do you have the specialty restaurant menus as well? I noticed in the photo of the menu screen for Tamarind, they had a duck breast in the "Wood" section of the menu, which is different than what's in the online menu, which is listed as "CANTONESE DUCK WITH HAINAN RICE". Given that duck breast is one of my favorite things (so long as it's properly cooked medium-rare), I'm very happy to see this change!

Thanks very much for the most well-written and funniest review I've ever read. I had just booked the Eurodam for next Dec. when I found this. Of course a lot will change by then, but I'm loving all the info. I was glad to see that you, as well as someone at HAL knows how to spell "privilege" after seeing the spelling on the daily for the nature film. Must get back to it, as I'm only through page 11. Steve

Step outside and you'll find Holland America's signature teak walk-around Promenade Deck.

38360c64c3222056fa72e251e9febcc6.jpg

804ad34b3e03b86f980bc09f6c9d9e39.jpg

(No complaining about the Koningsdam here please. I'm trying to create a moment here.)

The main show lounge is a three deck high affair situated in the pointy part of the ship.

097d434e8b6e1aa22f4f1bc51acdd9d0.jpg

It was closed for rehearsal when I made my photo lap. If we had been on a two week cruise, I'd have had additional opportunities to stop by for photos of the theater. Sadly, we were only on a week. Given the tight schedule, may I proudly present: the door.

Thanks so much for posting all of these photos and of course the menus. Do you have the specialty restaurant menus as well? I noticed in the photo of the menu screen for Tamarind, they had a duck breast in the "Wood" section of the menu, which is different than what's in the online menu, which is listed as "CANTONESE DUCK WITH HAINAN RICE". Given that duck breast is one of my favorite things (so long as it's properly cooked medium-rare), I'm very happy to see this change!

I think that the duck is the same. Wood is the section of the menu for things made in the oven. It does not indicate that the dish is made from a decoy. ;)

We did not fit the Tamarind in this trip. You're familiar with Roger Jett's site and he's got the latest, greatest Tamarind menu.

Thanks very much for the most well-written and funniest review I've ever read. I had just booked the Eurodam for next Dec. when I found this. Of course a lot will change by then, but I'm loving all the info. I was glad to see that you, as well as someone at HAL knows how to spell "privilege" after seeing the spelling on the daily for the nature film. Must get back to it, as I'm only through page 11. Steve

You're very welcome, Steve. I aim for quality spelling and grammar. Sometimes, I mess up or automatic spell check / auto complete get me through. There's a place in an earlier post where it says "use" and it should be "us." I should be ashamed, but I'm pretending that the e is both silent and invisible.

The Ocean Bar on Deck 3 has a decent sized dance floor and "The Band" plays there for a few hours each day.

49ce1267a11f997a59f302fce3c3e895.jpg

The lounge spans both sides of the center atrium. The bar, band and dance floor are on one side. The other side is seating.

7c7cdf31c99bf1ea6feafd61da143a40.jpg

17a7afb3cf015dae50b20a2b91f32ab6.jpg

We did not spend a lot of time in the Ocean Bar beyond our traditional post lifeboat drill debriefing cocktail, but I spoke to a few people who said that there was a pretty good crowd, including dancers who frequented the lounge.

Edited by POA1

The Pinnacle Bar is located across from the Pinnacle Grill. It's on the way to to Lincoln Center Stage and the lower level of the MDR.

644b39444eaede8f0d8883e3f980c872.jpg

It's a nice place to grab a cocktail. We can happily report that you can get an espresso martini made with real, fresh espresso both here and the Crow's Nest. (Value note: HAL's espresso martini is less than $8 and is covered under the Signature Beverage Package. I've seen it sell for as high as $17.95 on another cruise line. Both had freshly brewed espresso and were made with Absolut Vanilla and Kahlua.)

5c6b5be0e319b24cacbdbb6290d1a5c4.jpg

dbeb3c313788885ca714b4d842d9bae3.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR POA-1and to your wonderful wife!!!! Have loved all your reviews but especially your fine knowledge of wines for us!!!! Over the years we have waved

At the condos along the shore line in Ft. Lauderdale hoping one of them was yours sailing away on HAL!!!

So glad to have your wonderful Christmas songs again this year and finally pictures of you and your wife!!!!

Tonite here in San Diego we're getting ready for

Our New Years Eve and want o express how much we have enjoyed all of your reports and advice!

MAY YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL NEW YEARS AND MAY IT BE SMOOTH SAILINGS FOR 2017

Denise :)

The Crow's Nest is on the Observation deck, all the way forward. It tends to get a good crowd, particularly during trivia games.

fc36b47f00fb8a0d607a999a1b8ac2fa.jpg

6a2a6609d256c77e82d88663d0675377.jpg

35eaebf755c6aaac7f2baa41cb7f6b99.jpg

4bfe34865aa8097d0f03b1b443cae621.jpg

6d2c439f1da5060eabeb6ac88cbcb7c0.jpg

The panoramic views of the wrap around windows make the Crow's Nest a very popular place to sit and watch the sea.

Many of HAL's ships have feature a large glass sculpture prominently in the atrium. ... The Eurodam's installation is "chandelier-inspired" according to Holland America's September 2008 press release on the ship. It's an "... an artistic cluster of transparent flowers descending from the ceiling. The white mother-of-pearl colored flowers... lit up in different shades that change throughout the day with brighter colors during the day and warmer colors through the evening."

26e5e7b1e5321f0e0d3a0f29dd33200e.jpg

On the ship's inaugural voyage, referred to as "A condom of condoms".

On the ship's inaugural voyage, referred to as "A condom of condoms".

That's hilarious. DW laughed out loud. I had to do a little research to figure out what it was. We were pretty sure it was an iceberg from below. You could have given me a hundred guesses and I would not have guessed chandelier-inspired floral design. Jellyfish Group Hug would have been way higher on my list.

Edited by POA1

The Explorations Cafe is located on the Observation deck, starboard side. (The Crow's Nest is on the port and center sides.)

8a595fcc860a82d305af0a145511e482.jpg

51695011f4b2fc35b19e02b67549bbc0.jpg

It's known for coffee beverages. They also serve snacks such as small sandwiches and cookies. There is no charge for the food, but the beverages are additional charge. All are covered by the SBP.

c682f4a7f53d1bb92fabd999eb533689.jpg

Thanks for this great info, I will be on the same cruise next year, my first on HAL. So if one gets the beverage package it would include coffee drinks like espresso, latte, etc. Can u confirm, that would be awesome.

Thanks for this great info, I will be on the same cruise next year, my first on HAL. So if one gets the beverage package it would include coffee drinks like espresso, latte, etc. Can u confirm, that would be awesome.

The regular or Signature Beverage Package covers beverages up to $8. The Elite Beverage Package covers up to $15 per drink. All the coffee drinks are well under $8, as are most regular cocktails. The EBP is only necessary if you want to open up your wine choices. Or if you only drink Patron Anejo or something really high end.

The fitness center, forwards on the Lido deck, has a fairly large selection of machines and free weights. They also offer free and paid classes, seminars, and personal training.

Gym schedule:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/8bc158ed-a28b-40dd-af64-9bb42440578f/7d55494476547e60d1d996e3a67438fa

b37c504dc38a361bba0fc2dd1a13913f.jpg

dbd47c6b3cbc29a7431ef906ab00fafa.jpg

One of the more popular activities is the onboard art auctions. They're held in the Ocean Bar several times throughout the cruise.

d8fff84658e832b6804925d7e55fe5b2.jpg

a4171d8122bfc511f0da2c51a183781b.jpg

The Eurodam has a dedicated gallery space where you can visit the art offerings on display between auctions. Because the auctions are held multiple times per cruise, art must be moved between the gallery and the Ocean Bar where it is redisplayed. All that movement requires manpower (or womanpower, but probably not little kidpower.) I wonder what kind of training this requires. Do they have courses? (Art Schlepping I & II? Frame Lugging?) Is it a standalone curriculum, or is it a specialization under Art History?)

Edited by POA1