Power Strips Confisgated - Veendam, San Diego March 9

lindberg

We don't use cell phones on a cruise, but bringing my netbook to check and send email for about 10 to 15 minutes each night greatly adds to my cruise enjoyment. I often send a small "picture of the day" and tidbits of our day's activities, like instant postcards. The people who get these seem to appreciate being "brought along" on the trip to some extent.

When there are slack times in ship activities that interest me I use the computer to back-up my photos and work on editing them.

I wouldn't think of not bringing a small computer.

We don't use cell phones on a cruise, but bringing my netbook to check and send email for about 10 to 15 minutes each night greatly adds to my cruise enjoyment. I often send a small "picture of the day" and tidbits of our day's activities, like instant postcards. The people who get these seem to appreciate being "brought along" on the trip to some extent.

When there are slack times in ship activities that interest me I use the computer to back-up my photos and work on editing them.

I wouldn't think of not bringing a small computer.

Yes, I'm guilty of bringing my iPad. I send my sis and some friends pics and a summary of my day. My sister reads my email to my mom ( she doesn't do computers) and she says it's like having me there. My mom means the world to me and it's a tiny thing to do to make her day. I enjoy it too:).

Edited by cruz chic

We really haven't had a problem charging our devices - cameras, ipad, ipods, whatever. But that's with a caveat - we don't use them 24/7.

But I do take my Ipad - I need do like to check emails and finances on longer cruises and yes I even dabble in a live thread here and there.

Never had a problem keeping everything charged and only once brought the device JT refers to (which works great). After that we haven't brought it since.

I recognize the need for use of the devices and have no problem with it.

However there are a lot of things to see on cruises.

I can't fathom not being able to charge anything adequately on a ship unless one is glued to it and that is a sad statement when there is so much to see - but of course I have been known to have some silly opinions at times.

We always carry a power strip in my husband's CPAP bag (also an extension cord). Hotel room set-ups are often CRAZY. The nearest power outlet is usually behind the furniture and full of lights/alarm clock. I guess HAL can take the power strip if it wants as long as we get it back for the post-cruise hotel stay!

But I now have the triple cube tap adapter on my shopping list! I've always used the power strip for my blow dryer. The large end thingy that plugs in is the wrong direction for the ship's outlet! That thing will be perfect.

And we've always had to use the strip to charge our camera batteries. We shoot A LOT of pix with two (sometimes three) cameras. We have extra batteries too. The chargers are HUGE. They will not work with the one plug in the room. Hmmmmm.

Robin

I sooooooooooo agree. I just can't understand how people can't go without their beloved cell phone for 2 seconds. It's really quite pathetic. Really tired of people posting selfies on Facebook too. A persons cell phone s/b confiscated for that alone.

My cell phone was turned off and put in the safe as we set sail. I retrieved it when we disembarked. I quite enjoyed being without it.

They will not work with the one plug in the room. Hmmmmm.

Robin

Well ... (1) get a power strip without a surge protector. If it doesn't say it has one, it likely doesn't. (2) ask at the Front Desk for one of HAL's (3) If they don't have one for you, ask them if they approve yours (4) I dunno!!

Also, if any of your chargers are dual-voltage (most are these days) you can buy a simple plug adapter and use the 220v outlet. I do that for my computer. The label on the plug will tell you.

Edited by jtl513

Her cruise was ruined ?

She should think herself lucky that her parents took her to see some wonderful places in the world

My daughter was not a happy cruiser. Spring break was ruined. She said she wouldn't cruise Holland America again.

This made me giggle....3 days without computer and spring break was ruined on a beautiful ship in the Caribbean - 1st world problems. But I get your angst - I already know I will be without the netz unless I happen to take my kindle into port and find a wifi location. its like an addiction is what it is.

Wonder how many tomb stones will say - his last regret was not being able to get on line....

My daughter was not a happy cruiser. Spring break was ruined. She said she wouldn't cruise Holland America again.

Wonder how many tomb stones will say - his last regret was not being able to get on line....

Now that's funny!!

cruise was ruined because HAL took away her surge protecter. well my cruise would be ruined if there was a fire in her cabin. All you have to do is go down to front desk and ask for one.

mary

Mary' date=' I agree with you to some extent... I put my phone in the safe & don't use it & don't take a computer with me.. However when we were on our long 9 week cruise I purchased HAL's Internet package & sent e-mails once or twice a week to the Friend who was taking care of our 13 yr old PUP & our kids/grandkids & one close Friend just to let them know we were doing OK.. For shorter cruises I would not bother to take our laptop & only use my cell phone if I'm alone in the car & have an emergency or need to call DH at home.. When I'm driving my phone is always OFF....

As far as a vacation being ruined because the daughter could not use a lap top for school, I think it's all just hyped up by kids these days..

However, the OP did go to the front desk for an extension cord & they did not have one which IMO is either stupid or laziness on the part of the Front Desk people! But they managed to come up with one after 3 days.. IMO the Hotel Mgr. should have known about this & he should be sure to see that Front Desk people have the proper equipment if they are going to confiscate cords with surge protectors..

Betty [/size']

No, don't go buy it ... unless you want to have it possibly taken away by the ship, or possibly cause damage to the ship if they don't take it.

On land, surge protectors shunt (dump) surges (excess voltage and current) to ground, and that's fine. On a ship, dumping excess power into the steel superstructure can damage distribution panels, knocking out power to many cabins or even starting fires.

Those that have used power bars with surge protectors "for years without any problems" have been lucky ... so far.

If you already have a power strip and don't know if it has a surge protector, take it to the front desk to check. They will approve strips without surge protectors.

While your description of what a surge protector does is correct, the reason you give for their not being allowed is not quite correct. The clamping voltage of most commercial surge protectors (the voltage that they will dump to ground) is much higher than any voltage fluctuations that are normal on ships, and generally wouldn't be seen short of a lightning strike on the ship.

The reason surge protectors are not allowed is that ship's power systems are different than shore power systems that the surge protectors are designed for. On land, one of the "legs" of the power system (one of the flat pins that carry current) is grounded to the ground pin (round one needed to protect you from electric shock) at your circuit breaker panel. Ships keep these two wires separate, so that stray current does not flow through the "ground" which is the ship's hull. These stray currents will create a mild battery effect in sea water, causing corrosion to the hull. Therefore, there are monitoring and alarm circuits onboard that measure the amount of current flowing in the hull, and surge protectors can set off these alarms.

The reason the Belkin surge protector shown is not readily confiscated, is that it shows as a multi-plug adapter, or something else in baggage x-ray, not like a power strip that has a cord and a large block of outlets.

If you get the Belkin it works nicely.

If HAL is concerned about fires they should ban smoking on balconies!

Want to try HAL, but..

Well, according to Chenkp, who was once a chief engineer on cruise ships (see the post above your's) it's not fire HAL is concerned with it's Hull corrosion..

BTW, another poster mentioned that DCL is also now confiscating surge protectors... It may be others will follow suit..

Having once owned a boat & lived on one for 5 months, I understand about keeping the Hull in pristine condition & would rather be safe than sorry.. Therefore, I'll stick to my extension cord which works just as well & not take a surge protector..

Cheers, Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I sooooooooooo agree. I just can't understand how people can't go without their beloved cell phone for 2 seconds. It's really quite pathetic. Really tired of people posting selfies on Facebook too. A persons cell phone s/b confiscated for that alone.

Agreed! Some people have a distorted impression of their own importance.

I use one of these Monster strips that doesn't have the surge protection feature:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

It compact & lightweight. Useful for cruise ships, hotels, etc.

I've also seen them for sale at Wal-Mart.

In so far as charging a computer, my laptop charging cord / transformer label states that it can be plugged into a 110V or 220V outlet with no problem (which I've done aboard cruise ships).

Just my two cents.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

I use one of these Monster strips that doesn't have the surge protection feature:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

It compact & lightweight. Useful for cruise ships, hotels, etc.

I've also seen them for sale at Wal-Mart.

In so far as charging a computer, my laptop charging cord / transformer label states that it can be plugged into a 110V or 220V outlet with no problem (which I've done aboard cruise ships).

Just my two cents.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

That's a nice one, and would be welcome on any line. You are correct, that most of the 24v chargers (laptop, phone, Ipad, whatever) generally accept 100-240vac (check the fine print on it first), and I've found that charging using 220v on ships gives a better charge. So, with a couple of cheap outlet adapters (European round pin to US flat pin), you can also use the 220v outlets in your cabin.

We have the Monster strip and are very happy with that. It comes with us every cruise. We also have the Belkin and have found the USB ports totally worthless for charging our iPad. Besides not fitting our needs, it is also bulkier than the Monster. It has stayed home since the one cruise right after I bought it. Actually, I bought the Monster because the Belkin was such a failure.

That's a nice one, and would be welcome on any line. You are correct, that most of the 24v chargers (laptop, phone, Ipad, whatever) generally accept 100-240vac (check the fine print on it first), and I've found that charging using 220v on ships gives a better charge. So, with a couple of cheap outlet adapters (European round pin to US flat pin), you can also use the 220v outlets in your cabin.

According to the reviews (amazon) there is conflicting information as to whether this unit works over 220v and may be a problem overseas. (Not a problem on cruise ships though).

Edited by pbnjrockette

We have the Monster strip and are very happy with that. It comes with us every cruise. We also have the Belkin and have found the USB ports totally worthless for charging our iPad. Besides not fitting our needs, it is also bulkier than the Monster. It has stayed home since the one cruise right after I bought it. Actually, I bought the Monster because the Belkin was such a failure.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is the Monster strip? Who makes it?

According to the reviews (amazon) there is conflicting information as to whether this unit works over 220v and may be a problem overseas. (Not a problem on cruise ships though).

I looked at about the first 5 pages of reviews, and the only complaints I saw about using this on 220v were vague, and I believe caused by someone who thought it was a voltage converter. It isn't. I can't think of one power strip, that will not work on 220volts when designed for 110v, since the current at 220v is half of the 110v current, so there is no danger of overheating the wiring. You would also need a set of universal adapters to plug this into the various European outlets.

Our family of three cruised out of San Diego, on the Veendam to Mexico, March 9. Holland America confisgated our two power strips from our checked luggage. Since when are power strips not allowed on Holland America? :confused: We each brought a computer to do work for our jobs and for school. Not having a power strip meant my daughter could not use her computer due to her plug configuration. It interfered with the desk top.

When Holland Anerica took the power strips they told us they would provide one for use in the cabin. Unfortunately they could not find one. Three days later Holland Anerica finally found a powerstrip and delivered it to our cabin.

My daughter was not a happy cruiser. Spring break was ruined. She said she wouldn't cruise Holland America again. :(

Has anyone else experienced this on Holland America?

My question is, if it was spring break, why did your daughter have to do school work? My son has never had school work over spring break. IMO I think it was a matter of she could not get on facebook or Instagram. Again, JMO. Kids have a hard time letting go of their social media these day. Pretty sad. And if my son ever told me he would never sail HAL again, I would say "OK, then you can stay with your grandparents while I enjoy my vacation on a wonderful ship"

When Holland Anerica took the power strips they told us they would provide one for use in the cabin. Unfortunately they could not find one. Three days later Holland Anerica finally found a powerstrip and delivered it to our cabin.

This is the crux of the problem for me. Everyone has their own priorities. HAL took her power strip and promised a replacement. Their lack of providing one impacted her enjoyment of HER cruise. That is poor customer service, plain and simple. They took three days to provide a thing they promised. I am sorry, OP. That stinks. HAL should (and can) do better.

Robin

This is the crux of the problem for me. Everyone has their own priorities. HAL took her power strip and promised a replacement. Their lack of providing one impacted her enjoyment of HER cruise. That is poor customer service, plain and simple. They took three days to provide a thing they promised. I am sorry, OP. That stinks. HAL should (and can) do better.

Robin

On the other hand, HAL doesn't promise that one of their power strips will be available; simply that only a HAL strip should be used.

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with

standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or postcruise

hotel packages may want to bring converters

and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped

with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland

America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please

contact the Front Office for more information.

If one does not ready the rules before boarding, it is difficult to feel too sympathetic to the non-reader,.

Absolutely NO sympathy here. HAL did exactly the right thing.

This is a safety issue. Does anyone think that HAL wants to spend the time and manpower to search for these items?

Failure to have enough approved power strips on board is another issue altogether.

Edited by iancal

On the other hand, HAL doesn't promise that one of their power strips will be available; simply that only a HAL strip should be used.

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with

standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or postcruise

hotel packages may want to bring converters

and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped

with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland

America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please

contact the Front Office for more information.

If one does not ready the rules before boarding, it is difficult to feel too sympathetic to the non-reader,.

To me, saying only HAL provided bars should be used implies HAL will provide one. Not that HAL will provide one 'in three days when they find one'. Shrug. Your mileage obviously varies.

Robin