Have Carnival Gone To Far?

London-Calling

So in 2020 P&O will get a new ship.

The new ship will be 180,000 gross tonnes which currently makes it the 2nd biggest ship 'class' in the world, with only RCI's 'Oasis' class being bigger.

However the new ship will carry 6,600 passengers - more passengers than 'Oasis' yet will be 25% smaller.

The ship will of course have original livery and décor, but the design is likely to be similar to ships that AIDA, Costa and Carnival will also be getting. She will not really be specifically designed for the British market, irrespective of what the marketing will say.

The question is "Have Carnival gone too far"?

Do P&O regulars really want such a big ship carrying a world record number of passengers? Is this the direction P&O should go - just another mass market line?

(I would imagine there are many ports too small to handle such a big ship).:(

So in 2020 P&O will get a new ship.

The new ship will be 180,000 gross tonnes which currently makes it the 2nd biggest ship 'class' in the world, with only RCI's 'Oasis' class being bigger.

However the new ship will carry 6,600 passengers - more passengers than 'Oasis' yet will be 25% smaller.

The ship will of course have original livery and décor, but the design is likely to be similar to ships that AIDA, Costa and Carnival will also be getting. She will not really be specifically designed for the British market, irrespective of what the marketing will say.

The question is "Have Carnival gone too far"?

Do P&O regulars really want such a big ship carrying a world record number of passengers? Is this the direction P&O should go - just another mass market line?

(I would imagine there are many ports too small to handle such a big ship).:(

Are the quoted passenger numbers double occupancy cabin capacity or full load with several hundred little darlings, in which case avoid the school hols like the plague :eek:

I would think they have to include a crows nest. Oceana suffers from not having one and Azura/Ventura are cursed with those awful aft rooms.

Yes, just another mass market line. There are not enough potential passengers to allow a traditional cruise experience especially as Carnival have other brands that cater for that market. Plus to be blunt about it a lot of those traditional P&O cruisers will not be around when the new ship arrives.

Azura/Ventura "awfull aft rooms "

Please advise as we have just booked Ventura Christmas 16

Dave is talking about the Planet Bar which he does not like but many others do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Azura/Ventura "awfull aft rooms "

Please advise as we have just booked Ventura Christmas 16

Yes as Dai says the Planet bar on Azura and I can't remember the name on Ventura (begins with M!) They are at the top of the ship but unlike the traditional 'Crows nest' are at the aft of the ship not forward. Personally we really liked the Planet Bar on Azura although we really liked the Crows nest on Oriana too so don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dave is talking about the Planet Bar which he does not like but many others do.

I'm one of the others. We love Planet Bar!

I'm not up for the bigger ships. Azura/Ventura are big enough for us. I'm sure others will love it. Different people get floated by different boats!:D

6,600 is all beds full, 5,200 is the count for two to a room.
Although I like the big ships, this number of passengers on such a 'small' ship is a concern to me.

That's 200 less lower berths than Oasis, but she will be 25% smaller!:eek:
Actually only nearer 20% smaller than the Oasis class ships, but that aside as above it's still a worry.

However, there are alternative measures to try and see if the vessel will be cramped, which is the passenger to space ratio. The larger the number, the more space per passenger. It can be slightly distorted by the fact of smaller cabins could mean more public space.

Current examples of Passengers-to-space ratio:-

P&O Ships

Arcadia 44

Oriana 37

Britannia 33

Azura 31

Ventura 31

Using the general formula for calculating the ratio, a ship of 180,000 GT with 5,200 passengers, it works out at 34, which is comparable with Britannia and some of the other cruise lines, so perhaps I shouldn't be too concerned.

Princess

Royal Princess 33

Emerald Princess 31

RCI

Oasis 36

Freedom 34

Quantum 35

Celebrity

Reflection 34

Constellation 35

NCL

Breakaway 30

Epic 31

Escape 32

Carnival

Vista 28

Magic 29

Valor 31

That's 200 less lower berths than Oasis, but she will be 25% smaller!:eek:

20% but its still quite a difference, I'm sure they have done the calculations. As someone said above its one not to do the school holidays in.

Yes as Dai says the Planet bar on Azura and I can't remember the name on Ventura (begins with M!) They are at the top of the ship but unlike the traditional 'Crows nest' are at the aft of the ship not forward. Personally we really liked the Planet Bar on Azura although we really liked the Crows nest on Oriana too so don't worry.

Metropolis Sue

Although I like the big ships, this number of passengers on such a 'small' ship is a concern to me.

Actually only nearer 20% smaller than the Oasis class ships, but that aside as above it's still a worry.

However, there are alternative measures to try and see if the vessel will be cramped, which is the passenger to space ratio. The larger the number, the more space per passenger. It can be slightly distorted by the fact of smaller cabins could mean more public space.

Current examples of Passengers-to-space ratio:-

P&O Ships

Arcadia 44

Oriana 37

Britannia 33

Azura 31

Ventura 31

Using the general formula for calculating the ratio, a ship of 180,000 GT with 5,200 passengers, it works out at 34, which is comparable with Britannia and some of the other cruise lines, so perhaps I shouldn't be too concerned.

Princess

Royal Princess 33

Emerald Princess 31

RCI

Oasis 36

Freedom 34

Quantum 35

Celebrity

Reflection 34

Constellation 35

NCL

Breakaway 30

Epic 31

Escape 32

Carnival

Vista 28

Magic 29

Valor 31

Quite clear then .... Stick to Arcadia. Or even Oriana. :) :)

The passenger to space ratio on Ventura and Azura surprises me. We went in the full swing of the summer holidays on a full ship and it never felt "full" and we weren't in the serenity areas.

Dan

It can also depend on a ships layout. How well the passenger flow has been designed. I was sceptical about Oasis class (although it has a better ratio than many) but IMHO it has been so well designed you wouldn't think you're on a ship with another 5000+ guests because of the design. So it's not just the ratio.

Having been on Azura, and the fact it has a lower ratio than what I'm used to on RCI and Celebrity, I too didn't find it cramped, so that's why I've considered Ventura.

Our next cruise in 3 weeks is on MSC Splendida with a passenger to space ratio of 35, so looking forward to that as, except Oasis class, is supposed to be one of the most 'spacious' we've sailed on.

Edited by peteukmcr

The passenger to space ratio on Ventura and Azura surprises me. We went in the full swing of the summer holidays on a full ship and it never felt "full" and we weren't in the serenity areas. Dan

Hi Dan, it is difficult to know how full a ship really is.

You will be aware that many cabins have 3rd and 4th berths. Theses are rarely all sold, as they often sell a couple with one child a quad cabin. Some four berths may be occupied by a two people.

The ship will often have a sign at reception saying the "The ship is full" to prevent people wanting to upgrade cabins because they don't like what they have purchased.

I do agree with peteukmcr that maths does not tell the whole story. I also agree Oasis feels very spacious.

I still find it hard to imaging that Carnival's new 180,000 ships will feel as spacious as Oasis. The renderings make the ship look pretty traditional, no boardwalks or Parks etc.

Only time will tell.

Edited by London-Calling
error

Can,t understand people who hate children,

I expect that a large new ship will have a serenity adult only area and pool like Britannia.

I dont "hate" children at all. I am a parent myself. I just prefer to go on a relaxing cruise without too many of them around...so I either cruise outside of school holidays....or on an adult only ship during school holidays. Simple really. No hatred involved, just my personal preference. Spend enough time with children throughout the rest of the year.

Should have been clearer, we have booked aft superior deluxe cabin D733

Any info good or bad please

D733 is right at the back of the ship and has cabins above and below so will be quiet and not many people walking past in the corridor.The only problem you may have is feeling more movement if the sea is a bit rough.

We had a superior deluxe balcony on Ventura a couple of years ago and thought the extra space and larger bathroom was great and we are now reluctant to go for a standard size balcony cabin.

As for the comparison of the gross tonnage size between the Oasis class of ships and this new P&O ship. Keep in mind the Oasis class has a lot of "wasted" gross tonnage in the Royal Promenade. While you are walking on an actual deck the open space above you extends for several decks above you. This open space is included in the gross tonnage figures

As for the comparison of the gross tonnage size between the Oasis class of ships and this new P&O ship. Keep in mind the Oasis class has a lot of "wasted" gross tonnage in the Royal Promenade. While you are walking on an actual deck the open space above you extends for several decks above you. This open space is included in the gross tonnage figures

Well put, forgot about that, it probably includes the amphitheatre at the back too.

Well put, forgot about that, it probably includes the amphitheatre at the back too.

Gross-tonnage is a measurement of volume (internal space) so outside areas like the boardwalk/Aqua-Theatre do not count neither does Central Park.

However if you put a roof on Central Park Oasis's (making it an internal space) her gross tonnage would increase.

The point is that this 'wasted' space are some of the most innovative spaces on Oasis etc. and give the feeling of spaciousness, even if you can't actually use the space like a tall atrium.

In my opinion the most attractive rooms at sea are generally double or triple height.

NCL don't waste too much space on their ships with low (two deck) atriums and mostly single height public-rooms with many low ceilings. Some NCL ships also have narrow cabins and small balconies. This may be a very efficient use of space but it does not create such spacious feel for the passengers.

Some NCL ships also have narrow cabins and small balconies.

I dont "hate" children at all. I am a parent myself. I just prefer to go on a relaxing cruise without too many of them around...so I either cruise outside of school holidays....or on an adult only ship during school holidays. Simple really. No hatred involved, just my personal preference. Spend enough time with children throughout the rest of the year.

I'm glad someone has put this. People who go on holidays without children around don't 'hate' them, they just want to go on a holiday where there are very few or no children about. It creates a different atmosphere.

Everyone is different and there has to be places where adults can go without children around. (Sandals Resorts and others like it seem to be thriving so it obviously appeals to a large number of adults!)

I don't have any children, and, yes, my favourite ship is Arcadia, but I love Britannia, Azura and Aurora, all family ships. I just go on these when it is not school holidays.