Ladies what clothes do you pack for your Europe river cruise?

Cruiseoholic000

I do know about light weight denim; in fact I have some. It still isn't anything that I travel with. It doesn't breathe as well as pure cotton in the heat.

I also try not to do laundry, but sometimes I have to. I don't trust laundries not to wash everything in hot water, so I generally choose to do it by hand. (I did send a bag of laundry last year in Siem Reap; they had a decent price on a bag of laundry.)

I agree, it can be heavy...I guess I have my month's mixed up:)…..I was thinking when I cruised out of Amsterdam it was April...….it was cool/cold almost every day...….Jeans worked well for me for daytime:)

I was thinking when I cruised out of Amsterdam it was April...….it was cool/cold almost every day...….Jeans worked well for me for daytime:)

Personally, I prefer cords in the cold, because they are softer and I think warmer, but to each her own.

Personally, I prefer cords in the cold, because they are softer and I think warmer, but to each her own.

I live in Florida and so I don't normally buy cords but you are right, to each her own:D

Fantastic list and very handy format! Thank you [emoji120] ( I wish we were going on a river cruise) :)

Your list is quite comprehensive, how heavy was your carry on? ( I thought usual weight limit is 7-10 kg)

I'd guess it weighed about 20 pounds? I wear it as a backpack and no one has ever questioned what it weighed.

I'd guess it weighed about 20 pounds? I wear it as a backpack and no one has ever questioned what it weighed.

It’s truly amazing how much you pack in a carry on! Do you fold or do you roll?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s truly amazing how much you pack in a carry on! Do you fold or do you roll?

I try to roll but I'm not great at it. I have now discovered how much I love packing cubes! Even if I don't use the compression ones, I love how organized I keep my suitcase. It's also so easy to unpack. Another thing I always take now...a collapsible clothing hamper....fits right in the corner or in the closet and makes me feel like i'm organized! Jane

I try to roll but I'm not great at it. I have now discovered how much I love packing cubes! Even if I don't use the compression ones, I love how organized I keep my suitcase. It's also so easy to unpack. Another thing I always take now...a collapsible clothing hamper....fits right in the corner or in the closet and makes me feel like i'm organized! Jane

I love , and use, packing cubes too! But I am not traveling with a carry on only ;)

I love packing cubes too. :) They make traveling so organized. Love that I can just take them out and put them in a drawer or on a shelf.

I plan to try to travel as light as possible on this upcoming trip. I've been looking at this line of suitcases:

https://biaggi.com/collections/new-pro-collection

Got a smaller one for an upcoming trip to Lanai...can't wait to try it out.

I'm slowly transitioning to performance fabric items for travel. It's not anything I wear in my day to day life, but it makes great travel clothes - light weight, cool/warm depending on the fabric, usually wears quite well so I can get several days out of it. Moosejaw and REI have great selections.

For deep summer in hot locations, I also do linens and light weight cotton, and don't worry about wrinkling.

But, if it's brutal hot, and I'm all sweaty after being out all day, I rely on the ship's laundry. We did a two week trip to the Med in July, and there was no way I was going to schlep that much clothing around.

We could have a thread just on rolling, interfiling and packing cubes. If you want to start my recommendation would be go on YouTube and go to Ikea to try out some affordable packing cubes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But how do you pack so much stuff in your carry on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What are the new fabrics that are wicking? I usually takes cotton, but also layer with a sweater. We mostly do fall or spring cruises. I'd like a black mock turtleneck to wear under sweaters.

What are the new fabrics that are wicking? I usually takes cotton, but also layer with a sweater. We mostly do fall or spring cruises. I'd like a black mock turtleneck to wear under sweaters.

Look at places like REI, Columbia, Eddie Bauer and search on the term "wicking". Airism or Heattech clothing from Uniqlo proves technical fabrics don't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Merino is also a foundation in my wardrobe (I'm not usually at the beach in the Caribbean when I travel, preferring cooler and often wetter places)

I must admit that it is very tough to get plus size travel clothing, especially here in Canada. There is lots of stuff I'd like to get but can't find in my size.

I concur - I'm on the border, and most "active" brands fit small to start with! I know Columbia offers plus sizes and Eddie Bauer goes up to XXL. So does UnderArmour (some pieces at least). I'm not familiar with Canadian brands to know which might offer larger sizing. It's so annoying to me when a company will offer up to 4 or 5XL for men but stop at 8/10/L for women.....

I concur - I'm on the border, and most "active" brands fit small to start with! I know Columbia offers plus sizes and Eddie Bauer goes up to XXL. So does UnderArmour (some pieces at least). I'm not familiar with Canadian brands to know which might offer larger sizing. It's so annoying to me when a company will offer up to 4 or 5XL for men but stop at 8/10/L for women.....

We have Eddie Bauer and can get Columbia but generally not in the larger sizes. The problem is that our market is so much smaller it doesn’t make sense for stores to cover the larger size range.

I do a certain amount of shopping in the Rochester NY area where they have REI, LL Bean, and Eddie Bauer. But frequently the larger sizes are online only and I need to be able to try things on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a curvy size 12, and find it a challenge to find pants, especially in REI type styles. It's like they assume anyone wanting those fabrics must also be toned with no butt or hips. I also live 90 minutes from the nearest shopping that isn't a walmart. I've decided I spend less in return shipping than I do in gas by going to various stores on an all day shopping trip. I buy many pairs of pants online, in a couple of sizes, knowing 75+% will be going back. If I find a pair I really like, I buy them in multiple colors.

I'm a curvy size 12, and find it a challenge to find pants, especially in REI type styles. It's like they assume anyone wanting those fabrics must also be toned with no butt or hips. I also live 90 minutes from the nearest shopping that isn't a walmart. I've decided I spend less in return shipping than I do in gas by going to various stores on an all day shopping trip. I buy many pairs of pants online, in a couple of sizes, knowing 75+% will be going back. If I find a pair I really like, I buy them in multiple colors.

It is a little more awkward to be able to return something while I'm in the Rochester area. I can't send it back from home, so I would have to get authorization to return it and find a post office while I'm visiting my sister (generally only on weekends, of course).

It's even harder to find travel clothing if you're a plus size AND petite like me!!

That's me! Short and dumpy! Fortunately, I can still wear petite misses (18/XL). I have given up shopping for anything other than LL Bean and J.Jill. That is what is in my closet and that is what goes into my suitcase.

Check out J.Jill's Wearever line which seems to be designed for travel. I find that J.Jill cuts more generously, at least in their tops. And, they do linen, too. https://www.jjill.com/shop/shopbysize/womens-/extended-size/Womens They have three stores in Denver (Littleton) but the stores don't usually carry the plus sizes (but free shipping if you order in the store).

We did the Rhine with Viking Amsterdam to Basel in late August of 2016. It was HOT!

I should mention that I check a bag, and I don’t wear capris. Personal preference. I also don’t do laundry on vacation with the exception of rinsing out a bra now and then, and my compression socks. I always take more than enough underwear. I wear the micro fiber bikinis from Jockey. I can fit a month’s worth in a zip lock bag. [emoji12]

I take black bottoms. Black doesn’t show dirt like lighter colors and it goes with everything. I wore stretchy dark denim leggings on the plane, so I would have them, because I wouldn’t have to pack them and because they were comfortable.

I had black Bermuda length shorts. I wore them most everywhere, including churches with no issues. Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland aren’t as conservative as some other countries in that regard. It largely depends on where you are going. There were many other people wearing shorts, too. Did I mention it was HOT [emoji16]

I also had black knit pants, and a black knit knee length skirt (Toad &Co) which I brought in case I needed it for the Cathedral in Cologne. We were there on Sunday. I actually got a lot of wear out of it because it was much cooler than the shorts.

For tops, I brought 5 or maybe 6 LL Bean tee shirts in solid colors. I’d wear one for dinner with a scarf or dressy necklace, then again for daytime excursions. Double duty. Worked out well.

I had Taos Trophy sandals which I loved. They were comfy and looked nice. I wore them to dinner. I also had a pair of New Balance sneakers for more challenging walks.

I packed a lightweight down jacket that folds into its own pocket, and a raincoat. We did Mt Pilatus in Lucerne and I thought I’d need it, but I didn’t. I sleep in long tee shirts in a light weight.

And I roll - it’s how I roll [emoji13]. I have it down to a science. I should make a video. I only use a medium packing cube to separate clothes for our hotel stays so it’s on top and I don’t have to dig.

And that’s my tale. It worked well. I wore everything I brought at least twice. I plan to do the same for our Grand European. It’s in mid September, so I’m not taking the shorts. I got another Toad & Co skirt and I’ll wear those if it’s hot.