New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I thought HAL had to remove all Taco Bars due to health safety rules re- on deck serve yourself food issues. Does the Maasdam really still have one?

HAL had to remove the on deck BBQ they had one night a week where they set up food along the Lido Pool. The issue had to do with hand wash stations and fire protection not being near enough.

Taco Bars still exist, currently on Rotterdam.

I thought HAL had to remove all Taco Bars due to health safety rules re- on deck serve yourself food issues. Does the Maasdam really still have one?

Our cruise ended 12 May 2018. There was still a daily Taco Bar on that cruise.

Regarding the Sommelier Suite Cellar package, if I purchase 4 bottles of wine with this package can I take the bottles to my room? If I want to drink my wine with dinner, do I take my bottle to the dining room? Can I just haul a bottle of wine around the ship and drink wherever I want to on deck? If I don't do any sort of package, can I still purchase individual bottles to take to my room? I'm just trying to decide if this is something I want to purchase. Any input appreciated!

Regarding the Sommelier Suite Cellar package, if I purchase 4 bottles of wine with this package can I take the bottles to my room? If I want to drink my wine with dinner, do I take my bottle to the dining room? Can I just haul a bottle of wine around the ship and drink wherever I want to on deck? If I don't do any sort of package, can I still purchase individual bottles to take to my room? I'm just trying to decide if this is something I want to purchase. Any input appreciated!

We had that package once some time ago. We just chose the wines as we wanted them and selected the MDR for delivery. If you want a bottle for your room, you can ask for it to be sent or you can take it with you.

If you don't do a package you can still purchase bottles of wine for your room. All you have to do is call room service and place the order. Or you can order it in the MDR and take it with you.

Your bottle can also be sent to a bar, specialty dining, etc.

I'm traveling with my inlaws on the HAL Eurodam. Is there still smoking somewhere on the ship?

It is on the Lido deck, aft pool area, in a designated smoking area. Be careful, they frown about smoking on balconys and other locations.

Kudos for assisting your parents on a cruise that's convenient for them. Our first two cruises were with my wife's parents (one on Carnival out of Long Beach and the other on HAL to Alaska) and it got us started enjoying cruising.

When in ports, one of the things we like to do is walk through local supermarkets or convenience stores. Quite often, soda can be purchased relatively cheap overseas especially soda water which we both enjoy. As has been stated above, you can bring on all you like.

Thank you Tim! We will be walking around the same. My parents have been to Mazatlan a few times and there is a restaurant they want to visit, so that is on the agenda, other than that we will walk around. No one from our group has ever been to Cabo, I will review and see if there is a nice excursion where they show you the highlights and we have all been to Puerto Vallarta but that was over 25 yrs. ago, sure it has changed. All in all we are very excited about spending this time together.

Happy Sailings!

Does anyone know where I can get the location/address for the pier where my ship (Eurodam, 9/29/18) will dock at each port? I'm finding that this information is crucial in order to plan activities at each of the port areas. Thank you very much!

When you have the drink package, do you have to sign a receipt?

We are used to Celebrity where you do not have to.

No signing on my last cruise (April - May/18).

I just got the drinks and they used the card. No slips, no paper, piece of cake :)

Does anybody know what the wifi packages are on the Westerdam? We're sailing on a transpacific and need to stay connected to family on the sea days.

Westerdam has the unlimited packages - 3 levels: social (FB, etc. But no email), medium (good for internet email and the social but no streaming) and highest for streaming (no difference in speed IMO between the medium and high).

Westerdam has the unlimited packages - 3 levels: social (FB, etc. But no email), medium (good for internet email and the social but no streaming) and highest for streaming (no difference in speed IMO between the medium and high).

Thanks for the information. Curious about costs - would you know how much each package is and more importantly can you just use the unlimited for just the days that you want? We've got a travel package with my provider for when we're in port but there are alot of sea days that I have to use HAL's internet.

Thanks for the information. Curious about costs - would you know how much each package is and more importantly can you just use the unlimited for just the days that you want? We've got a travel package with my provider for when we're in port but there are alot of sea days that I have to use HAL's internet.

the costs depend upon the length of the cruise.

I did see on ours we had the option to buy it for a day or for the cruise. It was much more economical in our case (but we had a lot of sea days) to buy the entire cruise package ;)

the costs depend upon the length of the cruise.

I did see on ours we had the option to buy it for a day or for the cruise. It was much more economical in our case (but we had a lot of sea days) to buy the entire cruise package ;)

Thanks for the information!

Costs are $14.99/day social media, $24.99 surfing, and $29.99/day streaming. If you purchase all at the same time, there is an approximate 40% discount.

Hello, does anyone know where I can find info on what is INCLUDED AT NO CHARGE on a HAL Koningsdam cruise? Can one access the Lido restaurant 24/7 for coffee/tea/... for free? can one take it out of the restaurant? I understand that room service is not free now in some cases? I find the Holland America website not very forthcoming with what is/is not included other than activities & particular dining rooms. Are there better cruise lines? I thought this was one of the better ones. Sorry for ranting. I'm booked but can cancel today. Would really appreciate your imput. Thank you!