Are powerstrips the new no-no?

teddie

Radio's "Live from Enchantment" post notes that his powerstrip was confiscated! What's up with this? I always bring one with me.

My heart will not be irreparably broken if I can't bring one onboard anymore, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on this--is it a new policy ? Is it fleet-wide?

Thanks.

Teddie

During check in for Oasis July2 our power strip set off a bag search. The power strip was confiscated along with two rum runners in the same bag. We were told power strips and/or extension cords are not allowed. I was more upset about losing the booze. The cruise was fantastic anyway.

I brought an additonal plug. You plug it into an outlet and it adds 2 extra plugs on our cruise in April. It was in my luggage when I opened it and was still in the wall the last day. I have it pack in my suitcase so I do not forget it on the next cruise.

We have never had a problem taking a power strip on board. Radio did just report that his brothers was confiscated, so as Merion Mom said, selective enforcement... Its the only thing I can think of too. As others have stated, some people need extensions cords and such for CPAP's.

Thanks, everyone for your replies.

Between my iPhone, Kindle, cameras, and lap top, I would miss the convenience of a powerstrip....not that I'd have all those things plugged in at the same time, of course.

We're mostly on the Explorer as of late. Anyone have this happen on the Explorer recently?

Teddie

I need an extension cord because my computer cord is not long enough for me to comfortably sit in bed and use it. I actually take 2-one goes in my carry on and one into my checked luggage. That way, I increase my odds that one of them will make it onto the ship.

I guess I will buy a few extras and put one in every suitcase and carry on to increase our changes of having one make it through. We have never had one taken in the past but maybe it's a new thing to take away from people. We do have things charging most of the time, so not sure how we would manage that without a power strip.

we were on the voyager in feb. and they took the fan and extension cord.

we told them my husband needed the fan for medical issues- they cked it

out and gave it back but kept the extension cord. the room steward

was able to get us a heavy duty extension cord.

I'm confused between "power strip" and "extension cord".

Is this the kind of thing they're banning?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-1-5m-STANDARD-travellers-Afghanistan-Argentina/dp/B002HHOKD2/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1313316879&sr=1-1

That is what is normally refered to in the States as a power strip, a shrt cable with outlets, an extension cord would be a lot longer.

Never seen one like that before, seems like that would be a must have, for cruising Brits, plugs into the 230v Euro Outlet and give you UK 13a sockets

we were on the voyager in feb. and they took the fan and extension cord.

we told them my husband needed the fan for medical issues- they cked it

out and gave it back but kept the extension cord. the room steward

was able to get us a heavy duty extension cord.

This makes perfect sense. Home fires are constantly caused by overloaded light weight extension cords with too many devces plugged in or excessive length for the gauge. The heavy draw causes excessive heat resultring in fire. Heavy duty cords can handle much more draw, remaining at a reasonable temperature.

Archived