Independence Norovirus Outbreak?

JakeyK414

Seems the past few weeks RCCL has had some Norovirus problems. But is there one currently on the Indy? :o

Just received this text message prior to the 12/16 sailing onboard the Indy...

"INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS UPDATE - We have updated info regarding your Independence of the Seas sailing. To best provide you with an awesome and pleasurable cruise, we will be conducting enhanced sanitation and maintenance as part of our illness prevention efforts. Boarding time will now take place between 2:00pm and 6:00pm. We kindly ask that guests arrive no earlier than 2:00pm. As a thank you for your understanding, we will provide each guest with a $20 onboard credit to your onboard account to cover lunch and any incidentals. We look forward to welcoming you onboard for a great cruise."

Anyone on the Indy now? Do guests seem to be getting sick?:confused:

I saw a couple of dozen people outside of medical bay around noon. I’m fine, so far, but I’m rather fanatic about hygiene when on ships. Never touch railings on stairs. Use germ wipe cloths after handling menus. Never pass a “washy, washy” without using it. I really feel sorry for those afflicted. Staff is being very meticulous in effort to avoid spreading the virus. Saw them wiping menus with disinfectant before handing them out and also going down the hallway wiping door handles!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are scheduled on the next sailing. Worried sick just thinking about it. Any advice?

I was nervous about it too...but if you go to the CDC website and see the Norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships in their directory, you will notice that almost 100% of the time the outbreaks never span more than one sailing. Let's just be thankful for that extra cleaning they will be doing throughout Saturday and that we are not experiencing what those are onboard right now.

My family was just discussing many of the tricks discussed in this post. We know that menus for example can be a big problem, so we are going to go ahead and print out the MDR, Chops, and Giovannis menus offline and have our own copies for when we go (y)

I saw a couple of dozen people outside of medical bay around noon. I’m fine, so far, but I’m rather fanatic about hygiene when on ships. Never touch railings on stairs. Use germ wipe cloths after handling menus. Never pass a “washy, washy” without using it. I really feel sorry for those afflicted. Staff is being very meticulous in effort to avoid spreading the virus. Saw them wiping menus with disinfectant before handing them out and also going down the hallway wiping door handles!

I think there is no exact science to prevent getting Noro. Did not hold the handrails when going up the steps on Navigator a few weeks ago. Ended up falling and I am finally over my soreness from the tumble. Hold the handrails when using steps at all times is my personal lesson.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Saw them wiping menus with disinfectant before handing them out and also going down the hallway wiping door handles!

Is the wiping of door handles a routine thing? They were doing that on the last sea day of the 11/27/17 sailing (December 1).

I received the same message - before jumping to conclusions, and causing concern that the Norovirus is on the Independence - understand that during the flu season this is more and more prevalent. There are those that don't wash their hands after using the "facilities" - as well as some staff.

You have beautiful weather ahead of you for the coming weekend and week. Look forward to it - I am :):cool:

You could not wash your hands and not catch it if you NEVER touch your face. That's the "entry" for the germs. Folks touch their face...nose, mouth, eyes without even thinking. If you NEVER allow entry, germs on your hands won't make you ill. They can't penetrate your skin.

So...wash your hands frequently and do NOT touch your eyes, nose or mouth....and you should be good!

Just off Independence on Monday (12/11) and didn’t see/hear anything indicating an outbreak. Seems like it just started with the very next cruise. What a bummer! Like others have mentioned, I wash my hands constantly and try avoiding touching my face, but as added precaution, also bring wipes to use after touching the menu and/or going through the buffet line. I’ve seen too many women exit the restroom without washing and too many others not use hand sanitizer before entering dining venues. Ick.

Okay, I'm back down in my cabin now.

The issues started a couple of hours after lunch at Labadee yesterday. We talked with several people, word first started getting around at Dinner last night. Adults and children who opted for the hot dog at lunch yesterday the majority were ill within a few hours, this included many who had the dogs on the ship. Those who had the hot dog were mostly fine mid afternoon today whether they'd been down to medical or not. These people did not infect any cabin mates. (I personally know a family of five staying in two joined cabins down from me, one had the hot dog and got sick. Two stayed with him all night last night and never experienced any symptoms. He was fine by 2pm today. same story from others that I've talked to in elevators and bars across the ship. Others have reported illness in those who did not eat the apparently tainted dogs who have infected their companions.

I think we have a small Norovirus outbreak. and a large case of food poisoning.

I also think some staff has gotten ill as well. My steward was fine earlier today and from previous conversations I know that he does not have a day off during this cruise, but whoever serviced my room this evening was not him. In fact I've not seen him since before I disembarked in Falmouth today.

Okay, I'm back down in my cabin now.

The issues started a couple of hours after lunch at Labadee yesterday. We talked with several people, word first started getting around at Dinner last night. Adults and children who opted for the hot dog at lunch yesterday the majority were ill within a few hours, this included many who had the dogs on the ship. Those who had the hot dog were mostly fine mid afternoon today whether they'd been down to medical or not. These people did not infect any cabin mates. (I personally know a family of five staying in two joined cabins down from me, one had the hot dog and got sick. Two stayed with him all night last night and never experienced any symptoms. He was fine by 2pm today. same story from others that I've talked to in elevators and bars across the ship. Others have reported illness in those who did not eat the apparently tainted dogs who have infected their companions.

I also think some staff has gotten ill as well. My steward was fine earlier today and from previous conversations I know that he does not have a day off during this cruise, but whoever serviced my room this evening was not him. In fact I've not seen him since before I disembarked in Falmouth today.

More then likely it's Noro not Food Poisoning. Also both of them wouldn't effect you within couple hrs... Do feel for you though, had Noro 3 yrs ago. Caught it from my Grand Daughter eating cake off her fingers on her 1st Birthday. It's amazing how people are contagious before and after symptom's showing...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Adults and children who opted for the hot dog at lunch yesterday the majority were ill within a few hours, this included many who had the dogs on the ship. ....These people did not infect any cabin mates. .... Others have reported illness in those who did not eat the apparently tainted dogs who have infected their companions.

The first stuff you said was confusing, because of course someone with food poisoning wouldn’t infect others.

But the last bit I quoted sounds like you know that.

I think there is no exact science to prevent getting Noro. Did not hold the handrails when going up the steps on Navigator a few weeks ago. Ended up falling and I am finally over my soreness from the tumble. Hold the handrails when using steps at all times is my personal lesson.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Do t out your hands to your face.

Touch the uncleaned menus, the railings, the elevator buttons etc all you want, but then use your fork and knife and do NOT pick up food with your hands. That keeps the germs from going from hands to mouth. And that keeps you from getting it.

It means no bread. It means no cookies eaten with your hand holding the cookie. It means don’t eat the cone of your soft serve cone.

I received the same message - before jumping to conclusions, and causing concern that the Norovirus is on the Independence - understand that during the flu season this is more and more prevalent. There are those that don't wash their hands after using the "facilities" - as well as some staff.

Noro and flu have nothing to do with each other.

And other guests’ toileting habits won’t cause you illness if you don’t put your hands to your mouth after touching what they’ve touched.

This is a take-responsibility-for-yourself thing.

There is a possibility that you can get noro if you’re cleaning up someone else’s fresh noro-caused vomit, by getting it in your nasal passages (which would then move down). So be careful if you’re caregiving for someone with noro.

Thank you to those on board who are taking the time to let us know what is going on. I will also be on the next sailing, and am eager to hear about what is happening.

Many of the precautions being recommended are great, but let's recognize that getting norovirus on a cruise ship with a true outbreak is in many ways outside one's control. If a chef is infected and doesn't take proper sanitary precautions, it won't matter whether you use a fork and knife, your hands, or your feet - you will be exposed. We shouldn't suggest people who are sick right now somehow lack responsibility. Being sick sucks enough.

That being said, absolutely be mindful of what you touch and don't turn down the washy washy.

You could not wash your hands and not catch it if you NEVER touch your face. That's the "entry" for the germs. Folks touch their face...nose, mouth, eyes without even thinking. If you NEVER allow entry, germs on your hands won't make you ill. They can't penetrate your skin.

So...wash your hands frequently and do NOT touch your eyes, nose or mouth....and you should be good!

While this is the right idea, and will work most of the time... all it takes is for someone who is infected to touch foods, or utensils that touch foods, to cause transfer, and if consumed quick enough, will cause illness.

We are going on Independance tomorrow but I am really concerned about the possible norovirus because of my little one's chronic bowel disease. I called Royal Carribean twice and they are telling me there is nothing like this on the ship and it is just a standard precaution and that people are trying to ruin their reputation . I do not believe they clean every ship like this before each cruise as they told me or that there is a delay at the port . I

Any info will be helpful thank you

I am sure it is minor. This is the time of year people get sick period, My father is sick right now and so is my boss. I bet it is just a small percentage of the ship. Some people catch things and some people dont. 6 people sitting outside of sickbay aint many on ship that holds over 4000 passengers and 1000 crew, if there was hundreds I would worry.. I would expect some people to be sick plus there are always those that get sea sick.

We are going on Independance tomorrow but I am really concerned about the possible norovirus because of my little one's chronic bowel disease. I called Royal Carribean twice and they are telling me there is nothing like this on the ship and it is just a standard precaution and that people are trying to ruin their reputation . I do not believe they clean every ship like this before each cruise as they told me or that there is a delay at the port . I

Any info will be helpful thank you

Why not take some Clorox wipes with you and wipe down the handles and remote control and anything else he may touch? I do it every time I go into a hotel and my cruise room. I also wipe down anything I am going to touch on the airplane. You have no idea what people did before you got to that seat or did with the remote, those things are grimy. Get the travel pack from the dollar store or Target.

To whoever was told there is no problem on Independence: I am aboard now. Much more than standard cleaning is going on. There are no “sales” in the promenade, because they don’t want people touching merchandise and putting it back in the bin. The entertainment staff is pitching in and serving food at the buffet. Plastic gloves are being worn by waiters, bartenders, etc. Today is a sea day and first sunny day yet many loungers are available and I suspect that is because many people are in their cabins. I’ve also seen repeated wiping down of railings and even the dining room chairs as people leave them. This certainly is not standard operating procedures.