A new taped version of the Muster Drill......Really?

myfuzzy

It is a serious comment. Passengers, airline or ship, have become insensitive to these types of warnings which is the reason airlines and cruise lines have taken to more "entertaining" forms of information and security awareness. Its designed to get people to pay attention.

If it get to a point where serious topics need to be communicated by "cartoons", we are in serious trouble.

We've been in serious trouble for a loooong time..

I was trying to be nice. After all the years sailing, when muster was called, halfway through here come Mr. and Mrs Exception meandering into the room, martinis in hand. With my luck, I would get behind them in an emergency

If an emergency occurs over half the people will be in a panic and have no idea what a life jacket is let alone worry about wearing one. They will have forgotten 10 minutes after the drill as they order another drink or more food.

If it get to a point where serious topics need to be communicated by "cartoons", we are in serious trouble.

I read where the FAA did a study and found that more people paid attention to the Southwest quirky/jokey safety demo than the same old staid demo from other airlines. If you look now at the other airlines, you will find more quirky and animated safety demos. Encourages paying attention. Not sure what makes animation in a safety video 'serious trouble'. Would you prefer an old gym teacher screaming "People" or a Marine drill sergeant giving a lecture. I think that would turn most people off.

IMHO, I suspect the issue is change, which the members of the Princess board are not very good at.

I read where the FAA did a study and found that more people paid attention to the Southwest quirky/jokey safety demo than the same old staid demo from other airlines. If you look now at the other airlines, you will find more quirky and animated safety demos. Encourages paying attention. Not sure what makes animation in a safety video 'serious trouble'. Would you prefer an old gym teacher screaming "People" or a Marine drill sergeant giving a lecture. I think that would turn most people off.

IMHO, I suspect the issue is change, which the members of the Princess board are not very good at.

Actually, I have pretty much resolved myself to the more "casual" way of life in this new Millennium....a certain 360 from when I was young(er)

Anything that gets people’s attention is good. Years ago on an Air New Zealand flight I, along with probably the majority of the other passengers, ignored the safety talk and read my book. Suddenly I realized the voice had said she was glad we had paid attention because the difference in the new oxygen masks from the other airlines’ could kill us if not used properly.

I, along with many others, hit the flight attendant call button. The voice came back on and said “Now that I have your attention “, and went on to remind us of how important safety instructions are so that we can automatically follow them.

Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be looking after myself and my family in an emergency situation, not Martini John who couldn't be bothered to pay attention during muster.

Just what is it that you retain from a muster drill that makes you feel more prepared?

If the ship were actually sinking most people couldn't remember their name. no less where to go to jump off the ship. :D

Just what is it that you retain from a muster drill that makes you feel more prepared?

If the ship were actually sinking most people couldn't remember their name. no less where to go to jump off the ship. :D

Exactly, they would think they need to jump off and they make it quite clear not to jump, but to walk off the edge.

Yes, so we are in a rescue situation and the entire ship is singing the muster drill Love Boat video

Far better than them not knowing what to do. There has been a lot of money spent trying to figure out how to tell people what to do when there is an emergency situation. Anything like a simple jingle will bring back the memory of what it is they need to do, all the better. Airlines are where this is really critical. Notice that they no longer remind you to not forget your bags when you get off during their safety talk.

Lol.....they cannot remember half the other suggestions Princess tells them to follow, ie..formal night wear, no chair hogs, no saving seats in the theater, etc.....so why would abandoning ship be any different.....:):D:D:D

Took me a whole three seconds for the reasoning for this change. How can crew know for SURE every item was hit in muster presentation. With recorded version, there is proof the information was related. Head off law suits?

Took me a whole three seconds for the reasoning for this change. How can crew know for SURE every item was hit in muster presentation. With recorded version, there is proof the information was related. Head off law suits?

If this keeps Stupid from filing a lawsuit, I'm all for it.

On Princess the muster presentation has always been from a recording. Same message heard in every muster area (and actually all over the ship in non-muster areas).

The demo for putting on the life jackets was by multiple crew persons in each muster station so everyone had a view of how to do it. Then everyone would put on their life jacket with a nearby crew member able to assist if the person did not do it correctly. And there were always a number of people who did not do it correctly and had to be helped. With passengers no longer bringing the life jackets to muster and putting them on after the demo, I expect the number of people who will have no idea how to do it in a real emergency will be high.

Yes, many of the posters here have practiced the donning of the life jackets so many times they can do it blindfolded. But every Princess cruise does have a number of passengers new to Princess or who may not have been on Princess for several years.

I did. I hope no one ever need to put on there life jacket!! But make sure you know how, You never know ask the passengers of the Costa Concordia.

Tony

They knew how to put them on and where to go. The Captain "Coward" wasn't issuing orders to leave the ship.

• 2 months later...
It was kind of lame but then again people who still love the "Love Boat" programs probably don't think so. :D

That’s hilarious because I still love the love boat. Lolololol. If it gets to be more than six months between cruises I go searching for this tv show to hold me over. Lololol. Now if I could only find fantasy island. Hahaha.

That’s hilarious because I still love the love boat. Lolololol. If it gets to be more than six months between cruises I go searching for this tv show to hold me over. Lololol. Now if I could only find fantasy island. Hahaha.

Best line from Sunday's Love Boat episode. "This is a very large ship. There are 600 people on board, so I don't know how you will find him."

It's the women in the crowd who love the show.

Most men can't be bothered.

Glad they removed most of them from the on demand TV's.

You would think...

But, not half as important as butter.

LOL you alway, come up with some good ones...:D;)

I've attended the new drill 2x now. Every domestic airline has gone this way too(as in the last few months I have flown Delta,AA,United,SW(doesn't count they have always been crazy) .

It's definitely more attention getting even if we think it is degrading or should be more serious....

I think the visuals can translate far better to non-English speaking pax.

It's the women in the crowd who love the show.

Most men can't be bothered.

Glad they removed most of them from the on demand TV's.

Interesting perspective. Perhaps you would feel different , if they only played Charo episodes on the ships. :cool: