Changed flight time - a cautionary tale

cangelmd

The frequently traveled, frequently posting experts on this board will find this old hat, but maybe this story will help some newer people, and people asking about making those 11:00-11:30 flights on disembarkation day.

I checked our flight times for our Jan 20 cruise, and Delta had changed our departure time from Miami (disembarkation) by 2 hours! And this was 2 hours earlier, so we went from an 11:30 flight that we could likely make to a 8:51 am flight that was not possible. Check, and be sure to check all the flight times for all legs of a trip.

Our flight times get changed all the time. This was the third separate change for this trip since we made the reservation in early Nov, but this is the first time I can remember any times changing more than 10-15 minutes.

This is a companion ticket trip, so DH and I are on one reservation, and he is getting the emails, and was waiting until after the holiday to check the details of the change. I'm not throwing him under the bus, I'm the "travel agent" for the family, and I do most of the arranging, but it would have been easy for me to miss this change, down at the end of the reservation! I will definitely check each leg carefully from now on, usually it wouldn't make much difference, even with a 2 hour change, but coming into port made a significant change.

It took most of the evening last night, but we got a later flight at no cost...Delta's devious scheme worked because we went ahead and upgraded to Economy Comfort on ATL-MIA leg of the trip.

This is a very good reminder for infrequent flyers who may assume that schedules are locked far in advance. Delta's schedule changes happen routinely every Saturday. Of the flights that are changed, most are only by a few minutes here or there. However, some changes majorly affect itineraries. My practice with DL is to check proactively for changes on Sunday evening, starting when the flight is a month or so out. I do get email change notifications (even for the little ones) a few days after they are made, (hint: supply your email in your DL profile) but I like to get a head start on protecting my flights.

This is a valuable story about the importance of checking reservations as from time to time there are changes one one or more flights and often no e mail about the change or one not very timely. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Keith

We have flights booked through EZAir with Princess for June and our flight home from Heathrow to JFK was just changed to leaving at 11:50 am and I'm not sure that is enough time, it was 12:30 and I was comfortable with that but I'll have to call Princess to see about this new one, Any advice?

Well they changed the 11:50 flight from VA to Delta and from 11:50 to 2:00 which is fine but is o one and a half hours enough time to clear customs in atlanta and make our connecting flight back to Florida.

Well they changed the 11:50 flight from VA to Delta and from 11:50 to 2:00 which is fine but is o one and a half hours enough time to clear customs in atlanta and make our connecting flight back to Florida.

You throw out times without any clear reference to what they refer to.

A simple listing such as:

XYZ 123 LHR-JFK 11:00/14:20

ABC 456 JFK-MIA 16:10/19:30

Would make it SO much easier for us to figure out exactly what you are talking about. For example, does "VA" refer to Virginia? In airline codes "VA" means Virgin Australia -- did you mean that? Or is VA incorrect shorthand for Virgin America or Virgin Atlantic?

Also, if the change was from one airline to another with exactly the same flight time, my best is that it was merely a shift in which codeshare partner it is being ticketed with. But then, since you don't give full details, we are at best....guessing.

So sorry I have to admit I'm air illiterate. My main question is we are flying from LHR to Atlanta and have one and half hours in Atlanta before next flight, is that enough time to clear customs and go. Appreciate your help.

So sorry I have to admit I'm air illiterate.

It's not air illiterate. It's the issue of providing basic information. I am not Kreskin.

My main question is we are flying from LHR to Atlanta and have one and half hours in Atlanta before next flight, is that enough time to clear customs and go. Appreciate your help.

Not enough information. If we knew flights and times, we could probably infer what kind of other international traffic will be arriving to add to the C&I queues. If yours is the only international flight at that time, it's different than if you arrive with a scrum of a dozen international flights. Airlines and routes matter - some run traditionally ahead of schedule, some late.

Do you have Global Entry? Are you in business class? Are your seats at the back of the aircraft? Do you have mobility issues? Are you USA citizens? Lots of factors, but it's all a fog.

So, if you can't even tell us what flights and times and airlines, the only answer that I can provide is "well, they sold you the ticket and you bought it".

So sorry I have to admit I'm air illiterate. My main question is we are flying from LHR to Atlanta and have one and half hours in Atlanta before next flight, is that enough time to clear customs and go. Appreciate your help.
Flyer talker is absolutely correct (as always) in his previous answer - you need to give us chapter and verse on flight timings. Personally I would say that 90 minutes is VERY tight. I assume (dangerous!) that you are booked on a single ticket, and your luggage will be checked through to your final destination.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

We have flights booked through EZAir with Princess for June and our flight home from Heathrow to JFK was just changed to leaving at 11:50 am and I'm not sure that is enough time, it was 12:30 and I was comfortable with that

I'm confused. Originally your LHR-ATL flight left at 12:30 and you were ok with that. Then it changed to an earlier time and you were not sure about that...even though it would presumably leave your MORE time at ATL to clear customs and get to your connecting flight. Now it's changed to a later time (2:00). You said that gives you an hour and a half, so I ASSUME that means your connecting flight leaves ATL at 3:30. I guess I'm just wondering why the earlier change (from 12:30 to 11:50 departure at LHR) had you worried, though admittedly that is a moot point now.

I'm confused.

You are not alone.

Hey folks, meet us halfway. Try giving information in a nice, simple clearcut fashion, like:

Date, Airline and Flight Number, City-pair, Departure time, Arrival Time

For example:

4/17 AA1223, JFK-DFW, 2:55pm, 6:02pm

connecting to:

4/17 QF8, DFW-SYD, 10:00pm, 6:05am +2

Clear, simple, and to the point.