QUESTION: How much weight do you gain per day on a cruise?

portia1780

I usually maintain or lose weight weight even though I eat far more than at home. Generally I'm more active, so I burn off more calories. Also, I try to drink water instead of the lemonade, and I use the stairs versus the elevator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I usually lose a pound or two. I am not a big fan of cruise cuisine so I stick with green salads, fruit, the occasional chicken breast, nuts, and eggs. I never take an elevator, don't drink sodas, and walk briskly for exercise.

I might have 2 alcoholic drinks on a 10 day cruise, almost never eat desserts, and drink water all day long. I never worry about calories as I eat healthfully most of the time and am at a healthy weight for my height.

• 1 month later...

One cruise I had a cabin near the bottom at the very front. I actually lost a few pounds that trip since everything was half a mile and a bunch of stairs away from my cabin. Last time I had a lido level cabin and cheers drink package. I gained probably 5 pounds. I think guys burgers had something to do with it too.

• 1 month later...

It really just depends on so many factors that it is tough to say. I just got back from the Pride and lost a couple pounds while on the cruise and have dropped 5-6 pounds in the last week from the water retention. I only drank liquor with diets and light beer, the one daiquiri I had was virgin actually. A lot of days I ate a huge meal at breakfast or a big lunch and ate a huge dinner with no snacking in between. I made a point to take the stairs and workout and drink a lot of water when I wasn't boozing.

On the Pride in May I gained 15 pounds because I ate three meals, snacked and got room service every night on top of not working out and hardly taking the stairs. Hardly drank water but drank a lot of Heineken heavy.

There's a million factors and it is tough to say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't worry about what I eat on a cruise because I want to enjoy myself, but I only eat what is really tasty and fresh (especially items prepared while you wait). I am not a big drinker, so most of my calories are just coming from food. Why waste calories on a white dinner roll or scoop of tasteless rice pilaf when I can have smoked-salmon Eggs Benedict in the morning? I would say given this 'strategy' I gain about 1/2 a lb. per SEA day. Days in port I am walking all day and am very active so definitely wouldn't gain on those days. Longer itineraries with more sea days revolve around "is it tea time yet?" so those are more dangerous for weight gain!

• 2 weeks later...

Normally i dont loose any weight when on holidays and also not on my Cruises. I either stay at my normal weight or will even loose a Pound or Two. But im not a big weight gainer anyway, so this might be the reason, as im also not partuclarly sportive or anything like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on vacation so I don't count. I want to enjoy it and not worry about weight gain or calorie counting. I do however love to walk and try to use stairs rather than elevator whenever possible. 1st and 2nd cruise did not gain anything, 3rd cruise gained 3 pounds.

Edited by LoveSummerFun
wanted to add another sentence

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's the salt that makes me feel bloated! It takes a good few days post cruise to go back to normal. I do not use much salt at all at home & never add it at the table( well, ok , only if we have fish n chips!!!) What foods are best to avoid if I want to cut down on the bloat? I presume soups, pastas & cheesy things are the worst culprits, but why do the chefs oversalt all the food. Is the " tap" water onboard high in salt too? Perhaps I should just drink wine[emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I gained 8 pounds on my last cruise (7 night cruise). The cruise before that I gained 7 pounds (7 night cruise), and the one before that I gained 5 pounds (10 nights). I gain the most on carnival cruises because they have better free food. My next cruise is in November for 12 nights. [emoji51] If gain no more than 5-6 pounds that will be a win, but it’s a carnival ship so the odds aren’t in my favor. Wish me luck! [emoji846][emoji854][emoji846]

I actually lost weight on my last cruise! I was so busy running around, swimming, doing yoga, hanging out in the spa and our excursions were fitness based. I was shocked because I had a drink in my hand for most of the cruise! [emoji485] I am on WW now and so close to my goal WW that I hope I can keep up the momentum in January on the way to Mexico!

• 4 months later...