MSC Meraviglia - Feb 2018

little britain

A quick review of Meraviglia...... this was my second MSC cruise in 6 months, usually travelling with RCI.

We boarded in Marseilles one very rainy Saturday. I think there were only about 400 joining the 'bus' that day. Boarding started at 12 noon prompt and we were on board before 10 past. Muster was held in the theatre and then, rather strangely we were led to where our actual muster station was (a random point along the deck 6 promenade.....) .

It was a very multi cultural cruise with a very large group of Chinese on board.

We had a balcony on deck 9, 2 doors away from the 'secret' lift which was the perfect location and highly recommended. The only issue we had was on the last night when many Spanish teens got on board and they used the foyer of the secret lift for their meeting place at 3am, chatting very loudly.

The room was well appointed, rather strange wall paining of some vegetables. Cupboard was very small with sliding doors that didn't slide very well. 2 drawers and 2 shelves. Very little storage. Suitcases fitted under the bed. Beds were very comfortable and the shower was very hot. Hairdryer in top drawer of dresser. Very odd dressing table chair which isn't a chair at all but a very heavy uncomfortable stool. No hooks on the wall to hang coats so they had to go in the cupboard.

Being Black member I got a bottle of prosecco, chocolate covered strawberries, bathrobes, the chocolate ship, a backpack, an invite for 2 to a specialty restaurant, invite to cocktail party, free photo which is the one taken at the cocktail party, invite to a dance class, and and hour in the gym. I think that was all!

We went to Butchers Cut for the complimentary dinner - very good steak well cooked but I found the starters a bit odd. I had the goats cheese and it came in a skillet on a rather hard base...it was too large I think. For pudding I had the cookie which came in the (same) skillet and again was a bit heavy going. The restaurant temperature was very cold and for pudding we actually moved tables out onto the balcony.

Staff on board were excellent. Especially those in the English pub and in the various bars. The ship was spotless.

Dress code was varied (to put it politely).

The spa area is huge with so many baths and steam rooms - it was very enjoyable.

Weather was not good - rain in Marseilles and Genoa. Snow in Rome which resulted in tours being cancelled. The ship was very good about keeping people informed.

Music everywhere - lovely classical music in the atrium, a good band allowing for dancing in the Meraviglia Bar, salsa type band and karaoke in the On Air club; the only music I didn't like was the singer in the pub which I felt was far too loud for the space. I also liked the fact that some of the entertainment team were always around dancing with guests. The ship definitely had a party atmosphere.

The ceiling display is impressive and only lasts a few minutes.

Shows were proficient. I liked the one that was about the Apps. I did not go to see Cirque de Soleil.

The chocolate shop is large and takes up a lot of space and I never saw anyone in there. I bought a box to go for €17.70

The Sky Lounge is a lovely quiet space, supposedly child free. One evening there were two prams in there, I spoke with the bar staff asking why they had been allowed in ...they obviously had to maneuver the prams past the large sign that says "0-18 not allowed" ti get in in the first place (!). The staff looked embarrassed and obviously did not want any confrontation. I went and spoke with another bar manager I had met earlier in the voyage. Immediately he was on his phone asking for the children to be removed...and he also wanted to send me a plate of something for my inconvenience. Now that is service! Very impressed! unfortunately it was my last night so I had to decline!

There is a corner of the Sky Lounge (unmarked on any deck plan!) that is an enclosed smoking room.

Meals in the MDR were fine, didn't go hungry and didn't come out feeling as if I could't eat another mouthful.

Buffet had a very good selection including an Ethnic Corner which had some good dishes

I like the way the MDR is open for lunch every day to although I didn't try it.

The drinks package is the best value at sea. Didn't like the rose too much but the prosecco and the Aperol more than made up for it! There is a far wider selection of beers in the pub than in any other bar too.

I would say that travelling as a solo it was quite a lonely experience. Most were families or couples. I have never spoken so much French! I feel that the lack of roll calls on these cruises mean you do not build up any friendships beforehand.

Last day was a disaster. Disembarking in Marseilles where all documentation said we docked at 8a so flights had been arranged accordingly. On board they said they docked at 9. This caused a great deal of stress to some people, not to mention expense, where people had booked cars, or tours or onward transportation. Despite having the priority Orange coloured departure group there was no organisation and it was a free for all with everyone pushing to get off the ship at once.

IMG_7929-M.jpg

IMG_7943-M.jpg

IMG_8001-M.jpg

Next MSC cruise in 2 weeks time....so they must be doing something right.

Edited by little britain

Ship never felt crowded and was well laid out. I personally hate the Royal Promenade on RCI ships (all the ambiance of a shoe box) but this one was wide and I think the 'curves' into the shop areas helped with the flow.

Shops were full of luxury items. There is also a very good range of toiletries and essential items on board too.

Branded items are much cheaper than on RCI.

There is a huge kids area with 10-pin bowling and car simulators, and a big sports court. Outside there is a waterslide and a rope climbing frame for the adventurous.

Thank you so much for the review! We are on her in a few weeks. She looks soooo beautiful in your photos. Glad to hear the food was OK, that's one of my concerns. We are embarking in Palermo and disembarking in Genoa. I'm still flip-flopping about booking the spa. If the weather is decent we'll want to be out on deck instead, although who knows in April. We only have one sea day so maybe we wouldn't make enough use of it.

Two questions..

Did you dock in Barcelona, and if so were you on time? I'm trying to decide which entry time to book for the Sagrada Familia

Annnd.... do you have any food pics?

Thank you so much for the review! We are on her in a few weeks. She looks soooo beautiful in your photos. Glad to hear the food was OK, that's one of my concerns. We are embarking in Palermo and disembarking in Genoa. I'm still flip-flopping about booking the spa. If the weather is decent we'll want to be out on deck instead, although who knows in April. We only have one sea day so maybe we wouldn't make enough use of it.

Two questions..

Did you dock in Barcelona, and if so were you on time? I'm trying to decide which entry time to book for the Sagrada Familia

Annnd.... do you have any food pics?

H, yes we were on time for all ports (apart from Marseilles LOL!)

Sorry no food pics at all. The onboard app MSC and Me is very good and shows you the lunch and dinner menus for the day. Took me a while to realise you swipe left to see the menu though...

In Barcelona there is the blue port bus that will take you over the bridge for about 5pp return. MSC were selling their shuttle for €9.50pp!!

Ignore the times on the planner for Breakfast in the buffet - it ends about 11!

H, yes we were on time for all ports (apart from Marseilles LOL!)

Sorry no food pics at all. The onboard app MSC and Me is very good and shows you the lunch and dinner menus for the day. Took me a while to realise you swipe left to see the menu though...

In Barcelona there is the blue port bus that will take you over the bridge for about 5pp return. MSC were selling their shuttle for €9.50pp!!

Ignore the times on the planner for Breakfast in the buffet - it ends about 11!

Great thank you! I will download the app. I didn't realise they have the MDR open for lunch on all days. Also thanks for the info on the bus.

The dailies (or whatever they call them on MSC) are good to see- looks like they are well laid out with lots of info. I'm squinting trying to read how much they are charging for the VIP photo card in the bottom of the last pic! We have pre purchased it online for £45, I heard it's a lot more to buy on board?

VIP Photo card €119.99

MSC also add €1pp to your cruise bill as a donation to UNICEF.

If you prepay the tips in UK it works out at £49pp for 7 days compared to the €70pp on board (which is about £61). Every penny helps!

Any other questions just shout!

LB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Photo card €119.99

MSC also add €1pp to your cruise bill as a donation to UNICEF.

If you prepay the tips in UK it works out at £49pp for 7 days compared to the €70pp on board (which is about £61). Every penny helps!

Any other questions just shout!

LB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, didn't realise it was cheaper to pre pay tips, will have a look at the website to see if I can add those on!

Huge difference in the pre purchase price of the photo package then

Thanks, didn't realise it was cheaper to pre pay tips, will have a look at the website to see if I can add those on!

Huge difference in the pre purchase price of the photo package then

Hi, no you cannot add the tips via the website - you have to get your TA to do it or if you booked direct just give them a call.

The photographers on board MSC are the best I have ever seen at sea. They even make me look good LOL :halo:

They print out all the photos, different sizes and even in sepia or black and white. Makes picking very difficult so yes, you certainly got a bargain in prepaying!

little britain, Indeed, your info is invaluable and quite detailed, as Hey Tina noted. I have read every review starting with Beamafar's (plus her continuing info) trying to get full knowledge before April 29 (Great Britain then Norway). Thank you for spending so much time sharing with us.

@SquishTheWhale--looking forward to your info--especially your FOOD shots!

little britain, Indeed, your info is invaluable and quite detailed, as Hey Tina noted. I have read every review starting with Beamafar's (plus her continuing info) trying to get full knowledge before April 29 (Great Britain then Norway). Thank you for spending so much time sharing with us.

Kikki also did an excellent, non-YC review, which I'm sure you read at the time, Rhea. I hope you write a report, too, of your time onboard. We've booked again for Oct 2019 and I'm following reviews with interest, now that the ship has settled into a routine. If you remember, I was on at the tail end of the inaugural and there was some chaos onboard! :D

@SquishTheWhale--looking forward to your info--especially your FOOD shots!

Oh there will most certainly be food shots! My husband is one of those who can't put something in his mouth without taking a picture first. I'm thinking of attempting a live review, but I'll be relying on 4G while in port so not sure if that's a good idea or not!

It's around 3 weeks until we go so let me know if there's anything you want me to find out!

Squish - "Live" reports are great - for the readers! Speaking from experience, they tend to eat into some valuable holiday time - more than you realise, 'til you actually do one! If you do find that, just take some time out; take notes as you go along and just upload it all when it's convenient - even if that means that it's not 'til you get home. Either way, I'll be watching out for it! Bon Voyage:)