Starting to prepare packing wondering about bringing precautionary cold/flu meds??

UmaDaughterOfUrsula

Here's a helpful (and somewhat excessive) list I saw somewhere. I kept it for reference and pack what is relevant to us. I've found it very helpful since it's pretty comprehensive and saves me from forgetting anything.

Prescriptions taken daily

Antibiotic

Stomach cramp medicine such as Bentyl

Immodium

Heartburn remedy such as Tums

Gas X

Aspirin or Excedrine

Tylenol

Motrin

Aleve

Benadryl or other allergy remedy

Mucinex or other decongestant

Nasal Spray

Cough Medicine

Band aids

Cortisone cream

Probiotics

Neosporin

Sunscreen

Bug repellant with DEET

Excellent list! I would also add Miralax (the opposite of Imodium).

Here's a helpful (and somewhat excessive) list I saw somewhere. I kept it for reference and pack what is relevant to us. I've found it very helpful since it's pretty comprehensive and saves me from forgetting anything.

Prescriptions taken daily

Antibiotic

Stomach cramp medicine such as Bentyl

Immodium

Heartburn remedy such as Tums

Gas X

Aspirin or Excedrine

Tylenol

Motrin

Aleve

Benadryl or other allergy remedy

Mucinex or other decongestant

Nasal Spray

Cough Medicine

Band aids

Cortisone cream

Probiotics

Neosporin

Sunscreen

Bug repellant with DEET

Add ginger tablets on my list. Great if you have an upset stomach.

In addition to OTC stuff we bring a couple of ZPaks (antibiotic). DW has asethma issues so her doctor writes the RX for us before we go just to be safe. There is ALWAYS someone sitting close to us on the airplane who is trying to cough up a lung and share the germs in that closed enviorment so we go prepared. It has paid off more than once.

After getting very sick with cruise crud on our Alaska cruise, we now travel with the largest bottle of cough syrup that we can find (and yes, we did buy some on the ship). I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

I always pack precautionary meds and have never been questioned about them. What works for you may not necessarily be available on the ship or ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take a whole "in case" medicine pack of both prescription and OTC items and have never been question. The only time I incurred a hiccup was flying home once I had a large prescription bottle of cough medicine in my carry on and the screener questioned me what it was. She put it into an analyzer that looked similar to a microwave and gave it back.

Our medical is also very extensive and contains both prescription and over the counter meds. We were once asked by a Customs Officer in Australia what meds we had and had some difficulty being able to rattle them off. Since then we ensure we have a list of all meds we have both prescription and over the counter. What maybe over the counter in one country may be a prescription in another. Border protection Officers are not out to penalise legitimate passengers in need of meds. Strangely enough since this incident we have offered our list up to customs officers when discussing our meds and they have too date always declined to read it. Remember though that on arrival cards where they ask Do you have drugs with you answer yes and a couple of minutes later you are on your way. Tick NO and you could be delayed a long time

Is it ok to bring cold/flu medication (dayquil or mucinex) on a cruise as a precaution? If it shows up during security will they make me get checked by medical staff?

Not sick an haven't been but just want to be able to start fighting anything as quickly as possible that we might pick up from someone else along our travels.

I bring all kinds of meds, but not liquids - DayQuil capsules, NyQuil capsules, pepto chewables, etc.

UmaDaughterOfUrsula - I recommend to bring whatever it is that you think you cannot live without should you need it while you are gone. There is nothing worse than feeling under the weather and not having access to the OTC meds that you know will help you deal with the symptoms or make you feel better. Nobody wants to be sick on their vacation, so try to deal with the symptoms only as long as it takes till you feel better.

I have packed any/all of the items most folks have mention on this thread, including the items that phillygirl2400 has specified above such as the non-liquid versions of DayQuil and Pepto Bismo. In addition, I usually pack a first aid kit, Bonine, eye drops, and some Oragel in the event you have a tooth ache.

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

Walter

Our medical is also very extensive and contains both prescription and over the counter meds. We were once asked by a Customs Officer in Australia what meds we had and had some difficulty being able to rattle them off. Since then we ensure we have a list of all meds we have both prescription and over the counter. What maybe over the counter in one country may be a prescription in another. Border protection Officers are not out to penalise legitimate passengers in need of meds. Strangely enough since this incident we have offered our list up to customs officers when discussing our meds and they have too date always declined to read it. Remember though that on arrival cards where they ask Do you have drugs with you answer yes and a couple of minutes later you are on your way. Tick NO and you could be delayed a long time

I can only imagine how frustrating it must have felt to either not know or not remember all the meds you had with you. I travel with meds, prescription and OTC, and have taken pictures of all of my medication bottles using my mobile phone such that in the event I need to replace a medication, I would have the ability of recall to help expedite that process. If I am traveling for any length of time, I ALWAYS carry my prescription meds in their original container.

Bring it. No problem. I believe most veteran cruisers bring all sorts of meds. I won't leave home without my Airborne!

Veteran ??? I have always packed a kitchen sink with every med available since i first started traveling in my 20’s . Haha !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always pack Over the Counter medications. My favorite for easy carry is Theraflu. It is a powder you mix in hot water and comes in a night time and day time formula.

Our last cruise Miami - Buenos Aires B2B there was a big outbreak of chest colds, runny noses and coughs. I don't know of any real flu on board. Celebrity carries Nyquil at about $15 a bottle and they sold out in about 4 days. I was glad we had brought some aboard.

I've never been on a cruise that I didn't use some of my OTC meds or give them to friends or acquaintances that became ill and couldn't find any meds on the ship.