Question for anybody who's been to Rio de Janeiro...

lakelodge

We are going to Rio next week, to embark on a cruise on the Zandaam. We will be in Rio for a couple of days before the cruise and I have a question. Do we need to bring Brazilian money with us for the taxi from the airport to the hotel, and also for any attractions we might go to such as sugar loaf mountain? Or will USD or credit cards suffice? I don't want to use the ATM at the airport, it seems like an invitation to crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yes the taxi will want brazilian money though i suppose they might take USD but the exchange rate would definitely not be in your favor....i had problems with a few ATM's in Rio but that was during the Olympics with very long lines and some out of cash....

Attractions like Sugarloaf mountain and restaurants accept credit cards. We offered taxi drivers Brazilian reals as we always have a little local currency if we are staying for a few days. Not sure if they would have accepted a CC.

If you are staying at the beach Sugarloaf is an easy DIY by taxi. We spent an entire morning up there, the city views are intoxicating. Some other areas in Rio are sketchy. Tourists have been killed when accidentally walking into a favella. Some tourist areas like Santa Theresa are unmapped and taxis will not go in there. Don’t go out alone and never walk the beach after dark.

We spent a couple days with a tour guide and driver and felt comfortable.

We love Rio, despite everything.

Brazilian money is your best bet for sure.

JMO but I don't know if I would want to use a credit card in Rio at Sugarloaf and some of those other places out of fear of skimmers, etc.

there is a lot of poverty and crime in Rio so take the standard precautions (no jewelry, limited cash, etc.) when you are out and about and definitely follow the precautions listed earlier.

We spent a couple days with a tour guide and driver and felt comfortable.

We love Rio, despite everything.

This is what we would like to do while docked overnight in Rio. I have contacted one guide and based upon the response I am not sure he is a good fit for us. So, I am looking for a tour guide. Who did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is what we would like to do while docked overnight in Rio. I have contacted one guide and based upon the response I am not sure he is a good fit for us. So, I am looking for a tour guide. Who did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used Letitia Levy, Rio Plus tour group. She is well reviewed on TA and we were pleased with her service.

If you're on your own leave all the jewelry, watches, big expensive cameras in the hotel, don't make your self a target, only carry a small amount of cash. If you're travelling as part of a group with a local guide you should be OK.

Allan

We are going to Rio next week, to embark on a cruise on the Zandaam. We will be in Rio for a couple of days before the cruise and I have a question. Do we need to bring Brazilian money with us for the taxi from the airport to the hotel, and also for any attractions we might go to such as sugar loaf mountain? Or will USD or credit cards suffice? I don't want to use the ATM at the airport, it seems like an invitation to crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make sure that you pick the right (yellow) taxis at the airport, do not stop for lunch etc. on the way to the hotel, or and that's even better, contact the hotel and arrange a driver to pick you up at the airport. Dollars and cc's are fine. We did sugarloaf and the redeemer both in one day and payed the taxi dollars (arrange cost before you go) and paid with credit card at the venues

Depending on your arrival date, the main thoroughfare along Rio's beach is closed on Sundays for walking/joggers/etc. and is fun to do or watch from a hotel balcony. Wondering around the neighborhoods by the beach is safe during the day. As for attractions, also consider the "Corcovado" or Christ statue. The view is equally impressive and you get a good flavor of the city visiting it. I would go with a tour group or guide. The "cambios" at the airport are handy for exchanging some currency and most hotels will as well (but as someone else noted, the exchange rate may not be as attractive as an ATM). Boa Sorte!

We have spent some quality time in Rio. For currency we totally rely on ATMs to get Reals. I only use credit cards in very reputable institutions (credit cards do get compromised in Rio). Rio can be a fun city, but its also a very high crime city...so one should stick the safer parts of the city.....especially after dark. I recently saw an article in "The Economist" which painted the current situation in Rio as bleak. Apparently the Olympics did nothing to help the long term economy..and the city is again sinking into its old crime-ridden ways. How sad.

By the way, if you have any interest in gems and/or jewelry,,,,,make sure to visit H. Stern...while you are in Rio. You can take an interesting little tour of their facility and the quality of some of their higher end jewelry will make your mouth hang open.

Hank