Oceania Round the world Cruise

Crash1346

Hello, was looking for advice from people who have done the around the world cruises. What did you like best (high points) and what are the things we could do differently? Our trip in in 2019, so I have plenty of time to make adjustments. :eek:

I was on the full 2016 voyage and loved it.

We found the service to be excellent and loved not having to do any house work for that long. It was great to see much of the world without having to do long flights - for example we wanted to do a cruise around French Polynesia as well as doing 1 through Japan/China and now don't have to make the long trip to do those.

We enjoyed the food but there were some areas where there was room for improvement - We did not like items like pancakes/waffles at breakfast and too much repetition in deserts at dinner as well as the same bread buns every night. They did have a number of theme events in the Terrace local meals.

The entertainment was acceptable for the size of the ship.

You will have about half your days being sea days. The ship offers some activities but you need to be prepared for lots of time to fill.

Of the 200 odd people doing the full voyage I only heard 1 couple say they felt it was a bit too long.

I would recommend learning about the highlights of each port you are going to. This will help you decide on the type of tours to do, the excepted weather, and issues around transportation, local customs and currency.

If doing it again, there is nothing major I would do differently.

Make sure you join the roll call. The 2016 roll call had several people organizing tours which helped dollar wise as well as better tours. There is a large group from the 2016 voyage doing a sort of reunion cruise. I trust they will be very welcoming to the new passengers.

Wayne

Hello, was looking for advice from people who have done the around the world cruises. What did you like best (high points) and what are the things we could do differently? Our trip in in 2019, so I have plenty of time to make adjustments. :eek:

Please join our 2019 Around The World roll call over on the Roll Call Board. It's not too busy but I think that's because it's such a small ship. Look forward to meeting you - this will be the first RTW cruise for my friend and myself.

There is a large group from the 2016 voyage doing a sort of reunion cruise. I trust they will be very welcoming to the new passengers.

It will be nice to have people who are experienced RTW cruisers on the cruise, but honestly, the prospect that they will "stick together" as a clique is a bit concerning. Hopefully all of us newbies will be included and welcomed warmly. :hearteyes:

I don't think that you should ASSUME that they will stick together as a clique! Maybe someone will but I would guess that most will not.

Mura

I am not ASSUMING; what I actually said was "the prospect that they will "stick together" as a clique is a bit concerning" - you must have misinterpreted my meaning. The word PROSPECT means......."the possibility of some future event occurring"......so, the meaning of what I said is that the POSSIBILITY of them sticking together - not assuming that they will. It's the same thing as using "if." Sorry for using a word that got misunderstood, but I'm sure you get the true meaning.

Thanks for the English language lesson. Okay, you said that there was a prospect that a clique might be formed. Frankly, I don't get why you were concerned that a clique might be formed from the original post ... which said some of us are returning and others are welcome.

Anyway, I'm out of here. I haven't been on a RTW cruise and don't expect to be.

I am not ASSUMING; what I actually said was "the prospect that they will "stick together" as a clique is a bit concerning" - you must have misinterpreted my meaning. The word PROSPECT means......."the possibility of some future event occurring"......so, the meaning of what I said is that the POSSIBILITY of them sticking together - not assuming that they will. It's the same thing as using "if." Sorry for using a word that got misunderstood, but I'm sure you get the true meaning.

Not a nice response, Mura was only trying to be nice. You need to back off a bit

Go-bucks' concerns are not unwarranted. Perhaps his post was poorly phrased. I am concerned about even doing a single leg of a rtw cruise for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go-bucks' concerns are not unwarranted. Perhaps his post was poorly phrased. I am concerned about even doing a single leg of a rtw cruise for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For many years, the difference between a "nice" World cruise and a "not so nice" one was segmenting (look at an old Fodors Travel Guide if you don't believe me).

Jet travel and cell phones set the planet spinning faster and faster, and now it is virtually impossible to find one which is not segmented.

Nevertheless, "Worlders" have ALWAYS looked askance at "Segmenters", in large part because there is a special camaraderie fostered by taking the whole cruise.

People are usually too polite to express it in words, but there you have it.....

Did one segment once with the "worldies" ( ( I think that what they called themselves) , won't happen again. Oceania sends several ships into the same exotic places around the world. Bypassing the 4th grade like girlie like ( men included) cliques is relatively simple.

These people spend a lot of time and money with Oceania and deserved their due. Just better for others to facilitate Oceania and segment with them than us.

Have a great RTW, my wife says no for us, but should be wonderful.

We did a segment of the O World Cruise last year -- Singapore to Abu Dhabi. It was about our 40th cruise over many lines. I thought it was about the same as any other cruise. Some of the folks you like alot and others well just don't sit with them. (I did sort of boycott a couple of couples just because I found I didn't enjoy dinner with them much). I found most of the ladies pretty normal. There were several that enjoyed sewing/crafts and they welcomed all to the group. Others planned a church service every week and I enjoyed that. By far segmenters were outnumbering the worlders and some worlders thought the "new people" got more attention than the long timers. I think it was just that in 180 days with a small circle of people -- new people would be a relief --new topics to talk about/new people to meet. As always among rather wealthy and accomplished people, there is a bit of "I'll have it my way" but it was entirely INDIVIDUALS. They are probably prickly on other cruises too! I heard more praise for the staff and entertainers "our singers" and some were very involved with others on the cruise. But again limited number of folks to pal around with so you find the ones you like. If you need a BFF with you at all times -- bring your own:D. We liked it very much and are sailing on the coming 2018 world cruise from Bridgetown Barbados to Cape Town South Africa -- about 8 months after our first segment cruise. More than the fact that it is a world cruise but that the segments are fairly long (and expensive) you must be a person who likes long cruises and don't get antsy being in small ship mode for weeks at a time. Different from the rhythm of a 7 or 10 day cruise. We are up to 30 days or so and for us that is enough. Then I want my real life back for awhile.