Specialty dinning and gratuities

woodman

:) We always enjoy going to the specialty dinning options on the ships and always put an additional tip on the bill. We have always had excellent service. The cost of each restaurant includes the gratuity but we always add extra. Just curious how others feel about this and how do you handle it?:ship:

Depends on the service received, but we usually do tip above and beyond the up-charge. In some cases it may even be more than the up-charge itself. Such as the case on the Pride at Bonsai sushi, I'm allergic to all seafood and one afternoon DH just had to have shrimp but hates to eat alone unless at work or home. The hostess saw on our passenger notes for dining about the allergy, and had the chef himself come out to he table to see what he could make for me. In the end he did some fruit "sushi" (off menu) and the braised beef which I had not noticed as part of the menu. The little "snack" bill came to just under $20 ad between the hostess, waitress, and chef we tip $30.

I am not against giving a tip on a speciality restaurant, but Carnival's $35.00 price tag would get no extra tip from me. They are way too expensive. NCL has some that are under $30.00 and some ala carte options. Because it is so high I won't be going there ever again, so I don't have to worry about not tipping. It was high when it was $30.00 12 years ago. It was a great meal, but not worth the price in my opinion. The steaks at Cagney's on CLC were far better. I always tip well as my daughter is a server so I know what she goes through.

Candi

Tip IS included in price.

Here is from a email to a Steakhouse server:

I know they say that the tip is included in the $35Steakhouse charge or the $75 Chefs Table and as you know I always add more, butwould you please tell me how much of that $35 or $75 goes to the tip, and howmany share in it, is it just the servers or also the cooks.

Here is the answer from a very good friend of mine that hasbeen a Steakhouse server for many years.

Server: This is the reality, my salary is 1140. $ a monthwithout tips, a cook has 800- 1000$ a month. If we serve 2 pax a night or 100there is no difference because we do not have a percentage of the 35. If itwere true as ccl is saying that tips are included it would fluctuate month tomonth, right? So the additional tips are split evenly between server cooksdishwasher. Other company is giving percent of cover for servers so there u canreally say it is included! Would I stay away from family and real life fromhome for 7000$ a year? Ironically I am, for 10000. My friends are workingregular jobs, and go back at home in the evening to their kids and dog.

Server : Wellthe tips are not included at all although the company promotes it that way !!! We get the salary and from the extra tip that guest leave us. Extratips go to servers and the cooks. I don't know to tell you exactly how manypeople total since it is not the same on every ship.

Hi Dabear

I know nothing about the specific situation about any of the employees on any cruise line. Taking just what your friend has related to you gives some information, but what does it really mean?

You point to a salary that your friend has agreed on. It would appear to be your friend's choice. Also you would agree they are getting "extra" tips. They are getting these tips every day. So all in all with room and board, salary and tips, they might feel that they are doing as well as they can for their family.

What I would look at is, your friend works in the steakhouse. Compare that to the servers in the MDR. I don't know how much they make, but comparing the two jobs, which are essentially the same, it would look like your friend has a plum job. I don't decide how much Carnival pays their employees (or how), but these people make decisions about their career that they feel is in their best interest. I don't feel sorry for them. When I give a tip, it is because they deserve it.

Here is from a email to a Steakhouse server:

I know they say that the tip is included in the $35Steakhouse charge or the $75 Chefs Table and as you know I always add more, butwould you please tell me how much of that $35 or $75 goes to the tip, and howmany share in it, is it just the servers or also the cooks.

Here is the answer from a very good friend of mine that hasbeen a Steakhouse server for many years.

Server: This is the reality, my salary is 1140. $ a monthwithout tips, a cook has 800- 1000$ a month. If we serve 2 pax a night or 100there is no difference because we do not have a percentage of the 35. If itwere true as ccl is saying that tips are included it would fluctuate month tomonth, right? So the additional tips are split evenly between server cooksdishwasher. Other company is giving percent of cover for servers so there u canreally say it is included! Would I stay away from family and real life fromhome for 7000$ a year? Ironically I am, for 10000. My friends are workingregular jobs, and go back at home in the evening to their kids and dog.

Server : Wellthe tips are not included at all although the company promotes it that way !!! We get the salary and from the extra tip that guest leave us. Extratips go to servers and the cooks. I don't know to tell you exactly how manypeople total since it is not the same on every ship.

From CCL website: *Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience.