I Belize in MAGIC! MITSUGIRLY revisits the Western Route. My Novel.

mitsugirly

Hi all!

Kim ~ I've never seen whales bubble feeding but here's a picture

th?id=OIP.M3jvlQrtckCF3wCIsuXYXgEsDI&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=149&h=99

Looks like this is in Alaska, hint, hint.;)

Great that you'll be there for whale watching season! Maybe they mean money refunded if you don't see whales?

One of my pictures I spoke about was a bush where I was sure there was a Hummingbird but I never did find it!:o

Looking so forward to your next cruise review & seeing how much you liked the Mexican Riviera. Check out Las Caletas, it's pretty nice.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks for coming and enjoying and happy to hear you purchased the TG and also the fisheye. Leave a link of your review. I'd love to see your pics.

I just got caught up to page 21 in your review and saw your reply! Here is the link to my review:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2545707

I am loving your review so far (as always!). I think you have me convinced that I need to try Discovery Scuba Diving... maybe on my March cruise, especially if Celebrity swaps out St. Maarten and sends us to St. Thomas like they have been doing for the last few months because then we can go to Coki. This may be the first time I have ever hoped for an itinerary change haha

I'm through the first 15 pages. My eyes are getting blurry, so I think it's time to stop for now. That is not easy to do when I'm having so muchfun reading!

I really enjoyed the ship tour. I liked the decor of this ship a lot better than most of the Carnival ships I've seen. I think it might be all the greens they used! :D

I've always heard that the snorkeling was really good at the Money Bar. I had been thinking of going there at some point, but based on your pictures, I will be crossing it off my list. Paradise Beach looked nice, though. We may try going there at some point.

Rendezvous Caye looked beautiful, but I would not be happy at all about hauling that life jacket around and not being able to dive down. I would love to see it, wonder if they would let me use my snorkel vest and some of the outer safety gear I use when I'm diving? I do think safety is the first priority when in the water, I want to be the one who comes back and tells you all about my adventure, not the one in the story others are telling about the diver who didn't make it back.

I hope as I read on I'll find that Sakari is feeling better. She and Brayden both are really growing up fast, and Kendra's little one, too!

There's a whole lot more I was thinking I wanted to say as I was reading along, but the problem with trying to catch up on one of your wonderful reviews is that I can't possibly manage to comment on everything. Guess I've learnrd my lesson! I'll be back tomorrow! :D

It is a much 'rougher' body of water (the Pacific). 2.) It is also much colder leaving from Calif than from a Florida port and it did not warm up until we got close to Cabo....bring jackets/ sweaters for sure. The ship kept the roof over the pool closed for most of the cruise 3.) The water is NOT the beautiful aqua blue as in the Caribbean.....it is barely even blue at all....the Pacific is murkier.

Ok, you guys are starting to scare me and make me have second thoughts about this. I cruise because of the beautiful water and beaches and it sounds like this will not be the case for this upcoming cruise. If the water is brownish, murky and cold, I'm not sure this would be a good fit for my family since we are strictly water people that like to snorkel and be in the ocean. :o

We will be on NCL this time around, so no closing roofs since they don't have any over their pools. :(

Nothing worse than leaving for a cruise and it be cold out and need jackets. This is one of the main reasons I don't like cruising out of the northern ports (Baltimore, NY)

ugh :eek:

Hi all!

Kim ~ I've never seen whales bubble feeding but here's a picture

Looks like this is in Alaska, hint, hint.

Great that you'll be there for whale watching season! Maybe they mean money refunded if you don't see whales?

One of my pictures I spoke about was a bush where I was sure there was a Hummingbird but I never did find it!

Looking so forward to your next cruise review & seeing how much you liked the Mexican Riviera. Check out Las Caletas, it's pretty nice.

~ Jo ~

Las Caletas-making note of this place

I just got caught up to page 21 in your review and saw your reply! Here is the link to my review:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2545707

I am loving your review so far (as always!). I think you have me convinced that I need to try Discovery Scuba Diving... maybe on my March cruise, especially if Celebrity swaps out St. Maarten and sends us to St. Thomas like they have been doing for the last few months because then we can go to Coki. This may be the first time I have ever hoped for an itinerary change haha

Thanks for the link. I'm off to check it out.

Oh yes, give Discover Scuba a try...especially if you go to Coki. Those guys are amazing!

Love your reviews Kim. I also watch cruise videos on YouTube and found someone that found one of your friendship rocks
ParoDeeJay

Thanks and that's the same video that was already posted. ;p

Love your reviews Kim. I also watch cruise videos on YouTube and found someone that found one of your friendship rocks
ParoDeeJay

I'm through the first 15 pages. My eyes are getting blurry, so I think it's time to stop for now. That is not easy to do when I'm having so muchfun reading!

I really enjoyed the ship tour. I liked the decor of this ship a lot better than most of the Carnival ships I've seen. I think it might be all the greens they used!

I've always heard that the snorkeling was really good at the Money Bar. I had been thinking of going there at some point, but based on your pictures, I will be crossing it off my list. Paradise Beach looked nice, though. We may try going there at some point.

Rendezvous Caye looked beautiful, but I would not be happy at all about hauling that life jacket around and not being able to dive down. I would love to see it, wonder if they would let me use my snorkel vest and some of the outer safety gear I use when I'm diving? I do think safety is the first priority when in the water, I want to be the one who comes back and tells you all about my adventure, not the one in the story others are telling about the diver who didn't make it back.

I hope as I read on I'll find that Sakari is feeling better. She and Brayden both are really growing up fast, and Kendra's little one, too!

There's a whole lot more I was thinking I wanted to say as I was reading along, but the problem with trying to catch up on one of your wonderful reviews is that I can't possibly manage to comment on everything. Guess I've learnrd my lesson! I'll be back tomorrow!

IMO, I like green, but this green on the ship just didn't do it for me. I didn't care for the decor as much as a lot of the other ships for some reason.

Yea, I just don't see what the hoopla is about The Money Bar. I wouldn't consider it good snorkeling compared to most places I go. But then again, maybe I'm just being picky because snorkeling is just about all I ever do in each port and it just doesn't compare.

As for Rendezvous Caye, they only made us wear the life jackets because the water was pretty crazy that day. Gotta remember, when we went on this cruise, they (the ports we went to) had a lot of rain and even thunderstorms prior to us getting there (and heck, even while we were there). So, the water was pretty fierce that day and for our safety, they wanted us to wear them. However, remember they said that you could remove them once you get out there (which is why Sakari kept begging to take hers off, but I was leery because of the crazy water). On a normal day, I would say you probably don't have to wear anything. The DO have snorkel vest they provide and we were going to wear those...but just due to the weather, they switched at the last moment to life vest. (I'm personally glad they did because I hate the snorkel vest and the way they fit, rid up "in" you in places they shouldn't and want to cover your face).

Do what I do when I'm read, quote the person and right click to bring up another screen and go back and forth as I'm reading copying and pasting into the quote so I remember. :D

Glad you're enjoying the review.

Good to know about the tender. I assume it's comparable to Grand Cayman then?

Absolutely share your pictures. Visuals are my thing (obviously)

Yes, short tender ride like Grand Cayman. Adding a few pics (and labeled maps). Pictures are from a film camera, so not the best quality but you can definitely get a visual. Will break this into 2 posts (Cabo and PV). Mazatlan was just a beach day, but water there was the coldest (waded in and got right back out), but our trip was January 2000 and it's the Pacific.

Map of Cabo San Lucas (labeled)

enhance

The snorkeling area in Cabo

enhance

The Arch (El Arco)

enhance

Posting this to show you mountains in the distance...this is what I meant when the scenery of the land, especially Cabo, was desert like (we've been to US southwest, looks similar to some areas of Nevada we were in)

enhance

After we snorkeled, they took us out around the arch then up the coast and back toward the ship for photo ops before heading back to the marina. I know the tour we did was kind of a "booze cruise", but I'm sure many others offer snorkeling and a boat ride out to see the arch (three pics above).

Will have to continue with other posts...hope this is allowed. ;)

More from Cabo San Lucas.

This is the marina area after our tour. Adding to give you that visual of the scenery.

enhance

At the marina, view toward Cabo San Lucas (a lot of nice walking areas with shops and restaurants...at least it was in 2000)

enhance

One last pic from Cabo. This was on the ship just before we left and headed toward Mazatlan.

enhance

Hope these help. I have some more with Puerto Vallarta that I'll add:

Maps of Puerto Vallarta (that I marked so you can *see* where things are). That body of water that Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas is located on is called Banderas Bay.

First map is the whole PV area. We took catamaran sail from right near where the ship docked across the bay to a beach called Playa Los Animas. Spend a couple hours there. It was very scenic and beach was nice. Water was much warmer here. I don't know about snorkeling though since we didn't try it. Saw a large manta ray in the water on the way out (pictures of him don't really show a thing). On the return trip, we went closer along the coast where they would stop and point out things of interests. One of them was the large rock formations out in the water, called arches. When I got on Google maps/earth, I noticed that this area is called "Los Archos National Park Vallarta Undersea". In English, it's called Los Arcos Marine Park. Attaching link about it:

http://www.puertovallarta.net/what_to_do/los-arcos-national-marine-park

I also found a link you may be very interested in (Scuba), will attach here: https://vallarta-adventures.com/en/tours/scuba-dive-puerto-vallarta?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-S404yF2AIVVoGzCh0jbAffEAAYASAAEgKfnPD_BwE

enhance

Second map for a close up of the Los Archos Marine Park:

enhance

Next, and last post, a few of my pictures from Las Animas Beach and Los Archos Marine Park from the boat.

Attaching a few pics of Las Animas Beach, where we spent a few hours and also the largest "arch" in the Los Archos Marine Park.

Las Animas Beach. This beach was gorgeous, surrounded by the mountains and the water was a real pretty color and clear. We didn't snorkel (or even attempt it), so I don't know if there's decent snorkeling here or not. I just wish I had a digital camera then.

enhance

enhance

enhance

This was taken from the catamaran/sail boat from near the town of Mismaloya. Posting to show the largest of the archs in the Marine Park (on the left). There are several of these.

enhance

At the largest arch in the Marine Reserve...up close and personal

enhance

enhance

I sure hope these posts help in some way. Even though I have a great detailed memory of vacations, this trip was almost 18 years ago so the memories of this one are somewhat faded (and I don't have a lot of pictures to help). If you have any questions, I will try my best to give you an answer. You have helped SO MANY of us over the years and it has been greatly appreciated. I'm already getting excited for your review of this itinerary. I'd add a smiley, but I'm at the picture limit in this post.

Aww thanks so much for the compliment. Have you read any of my others? I'm a pretty "winded" person. LOL Definitely give the Breeze a try! She's amazing! Aww how nice (the proposal to the gf now wife). That's awesome!

I haven't read your other reviews yet but definitely putting them on my "need to read" list :) thank you again for sharing your experiences!!

Dont really want to get off subject but mitsugirly I have a question. Your salt water aquarium, what kind of filter do you use? Standard wet dry sump filter? or do you use one of the new canister style filters like this Penn Plax Cascade canister filters?

I'm really looking at getting a saltwater coral reef aquarium again. I had one years ago and still remember all about them on maintenance, care, chemicals needed but I know filter technology has come a long ways in the last 15-20 years. I used a 15 gallon aquarium with dividers and different chambers with pre-filter, bio-ball chamber then charcoal, phosphate and then into a sump and pumped back up into the aquarium. But i get worried when I'm reading about the new canister filter theres a couple reviews were the reviewer said when the power goes out the canister overflowed. to me it sounds like operator error maybe with having the siphon tube or overflow cup in the aquarium submerged to deep. just wandered if you had any experience with the newest latest and greatest in filter tech?

Thank you in advance.

Brad

That's awesome that we found one of your rocks and you were able to connect with us and give us some history and backstory on that. Super cool!

I know. It's so cool and I'm glad someone on here seen it on your video to let me know. At least we know where 3 of the rocks went to (other 2 were on our roll call).

Yes, short tender ride like Grand Cayman. Adding a few pics (and labeled maps). Pictures are from a film camera, so not the best quality but you can definitely get a visual. Will break this into 2 posts (Cabo and PV). Mazatlan was just a beach day, but water there was the coldest (waded in and got right back out), but our trip was January 2000 and it's the Pacific.

Map of Cabo San Lucas (labeled)

The snorkeling area in Cabo

The Arch (El Arco)

Posting this to show you mountains in the distance...this is what I meant when the scenery of the land, especially Cabo, was desert like (we've been to US southwest, looks similar to some areas of Nevada we were in)

After we snorkeled, they took us out around the arch then up the coast and back toward the ship for photo ops before heading back to the marina. I know the tour we did was kind of a "booze cruise", but I'm sure many others offer snorkeling and a boat ride out to see the arch (three pics above).

Will have to continue with other posts...hope this is allowed.

THIS IS AWESOME!! Do you happen to know the area that you went snorkeling in? How good was the snorkeling there? Was the water clear?

More from Cabo San Lucas.

This is the marina area after our tour. Adding to give you that visual of the scenery.

At the marina, view toward Cabo San Lucas (a lot of nice walking areas with shops and restaurants...at least it was in 2000)

One last pic from Cabo. This was on the ship just before we left and headed toward Mazatlan.

Hope these help. I have some more with Puerto Vallarta that I'll add:

Maps of Puerto Vallarta (that I marked so you can *see* where things are). That body of water that Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas is located on is called Banderas Bay.

First map is the whole PV area. We took catamaran sail from right near where the ship docked across the bay to a beach called Playa Los Animas. Spend a couple hours there. It was very scenic and beach was nice. Water was much warmer here. I don't know about snorkeling though since we didn't try it. Saw a large manta ray in the water on the way out (pictures of him don't really show a thing). On the return trip, we went closer along the coast where they would stop and point out things of interests. One of them was the large rock formations out in the water, called arches. When I got on Google maps/earth, I noticed that this area is called "Los Archos National Park Vallarta Undersea". In English, it's called Los Arcos Marine Park. Attaching link about it:

http://www.puertovallarta.net/what_to_do/los-arcos-national-marine-park

I also found a link you may be very interested in (Scuba), will attach here: https://vallarta-adventures.com/en/tours/scuba-dive-puerto-vallarta?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-S404yF2AIVVoGzCh0jbAffEAAYASAAEgKfnPD_BwE

Second map for a close up of the Los Archos Marine Park:

Next, and last post, a few of my pictures from Las Animas Beach and Los Archos Marine Park from the boat.

Oh my gosh! Thanks for everything. I really appreciate it. I plan on heading over to this section on the boards to get more info, but I really appreciate everything you have given me (don't wanna get too off track or the mods will lock the thread). THANKS!!!!!

I haven't read your other reviews yet but definitely putting them on my "need to read" list clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 thank you again for sharing your experiences!!

No problem and thank you as well.

Dont really want to get off subject but mitsugirly I have a question. Your salt water aquarium, what kind of filter do you use? Standard wet dry sump filter? or do you use one of the new canister style filters like this Penn Plax Cascade canister filters?

I'm really looking at getting a saltwater coral reef aquarium again. I had one years ago and still remember all about them on maintenance, care, chemicals needed but I know filter technology has come a long ways in the last 15-20 years. I used a 15 gallon aquarium with dividers and different chambers with pre-filter, bio-ball chamber then charcoal, phosphate and then into a sump and pumped back up into the aquarium. But i get worried when I'm reading about the new canister filter theres a couple reviews were the reviewer said when the power goes out the canister overflowed. to me it sounds like operator error maybe with having the siphon tube or overflow cup in the aquarium submerged to deep. just wandered if you had any experience with the newest latest and greatest in filter tech?

Thank you in advance.

Brad

Nope and nope. The days of wet dry systems and bioballs are out the window. :D (I had one of those back in the day and when I started some of my first saltwater aquariums and this time around, my neighbor was teaching me (and still is most days lol) and he laughed at me talking about the bio balls.

I have a sump on mine with a really large protein skimmer (a must especially for a predator tank). I REALLY wished that the tank I bought was drilled, but it's not and it's a pain (well, was in the beginning and I really was sure how everything worked). I had to practice turning my tank and everything off over and over to make sure that I had the correct amount of water in the sump to run the tank right but yet not too much if there was a power failure that my sump would overflow. I keep my return line fairly high that a lot of the tank water is not going to drain into the sump (but still a pretty good amount, but my sump will hold it). I do have a battery powered pump in case electricity goes out and it plugs into the wall and detects if electric is lost and will kick on for emergency air.

My other tank is a small rimless tank and the filtering system is all located in the back of it on both sides for the overflow/filter and the middle for the pump back into the tank. It's a pretty simple system and all you have to do is change out the carbon every so often and wash the sponges and add water about every 2 days in the back because the tank always stays the same in the front no matter what. Oh...and a lot of praying that your selected fish in the tank don't decide to go carpet surfing. :o

Only ready first 8 pages so far but like usual love reading your reviews and wish I cruise one day with you guys .....you always look so happy and a fun family to be around with.

Will read more later promise lol

Sea ya

Eric

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Regarding your camera, do you use any special lens to get such great underwater pictures? I have a Olympus Tough camera that I recently bought. Thx!!

I have a fish eye that I use every so often but that's it.

Only ready first 8 pages so far but like usual love reading your reviews and wish I cruise one day with you guys .....you always look so happy and a fun family to be around with.

Will read more later promise lol

Sea ya

Eric

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Aww, thanks so much for the kind words. Hopefully we'll run into each other cruising some day. :)

THIS IS AWESOME!! Do you happen to know the area that you went snorkeling in? Not sure if it has an actual name, but can help *show* you the area through a couple more pictures/map. It was right near a rock formation called Pelican Rock. How good was the snorkeling there? From my memory, it was pretty good and a lot of fish. It was deeper, so you couldn't stand in that area but it looked like maybe 8 - 10 feet deep. We could still see the bottom. I didn't go too close to shore, but I'm sure you can stand there. I only lasted about 10 mintues...I do not do colder water, lol! Was the water clear? Yes, but it wasn't the light color blue that you see in the Caribbean.

Oh my gosh! Thanks for everything. I really appreciate it. I plan on heading over to this section on the boards to get more info, but I really appreciate everything you have given me (don't wanna get too off track or the mods will lock the thread). THANKS!!!!!

I was wondering about the getting off track bit. But you are very welcome and always happy to help out if and when I can. I'd be happy to check on the Mexican Riviera section on the boards and can try to help out more there regarding the snorkeling area in Cabo. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

You mentioned under your review of Blue Kay that they had leased/sold beach front to the bar next to them.

Is this the old Snr Frogs location with dipping pool? Has it reopened under new name and was it busy/loud?

Yes, the front of BK is now leased/sold to the beach club next door that used to be Senor Frogs.

The link that you gave me on the Costa Maya forum to the article the guy wrote about Blue Kay also has an article about the opening of the place that used to be Senor Frogs. It says that the cruise ship excursion goes there and if you look at the pictures included in that article, you'll see the blue chairs there and in front of Blue Kay that has been rented out. The problem is, the bad reviews of BK is now being reflected in this because people are saying that's where they were at and they are not. They are next door. Blue Kay still has signs saying "Blue Kay" along the beach and obviously the rented portion is also in front of BK. Confusion is definitely a factor here.

Here's the link: https://costamayalife.com/2016/10/04/high-season-starts-at-costa-maya-port/

I do know RC is doing their jungle beach break there from what I can tell so I'm sure the other cruiselines are offering the same thing.

I was wondering about the getting off track bit. But you are very welcome and always happy to help out if and when I can. I'd be happy to check on the Mexican Riviera section on the boards and can try to help out more there regarding the snorkeling area in Cabo. :)

Thanks again. I plan on making a general post on the forum over there for suggestions.

Thanks for another great review! Can't wait for the next one!

I wish there was a Mitsu-alert so I would know when a new review has been posted! ;) I'll know to check April/May.

LOL, thanks and glad you enjoyed it.

I love your reviews!

Why thank you grumpy. :D

Thanks for your revews, and becuse of your revies I have booked the Carnival Paridise, spisificly for Mohanay Bay, and LFK.

I am also looking at NCL for my 2020 20th Aniversery cruise with my wife.

Now that you have 6 carnival cruises under your belt, is there any ship that you are wanting to go on, or any port that carnival goes to and NCL doesn"t

Thanks for your revews, and becuse of your revies I have booked the Carnival Paridise, spisificly for Mohanay Bay, and LFK.

I am also looking at NCL for my 2020 20th Aniversery cruise with my wife.

Now that you have 6 carnival cruises under your belt, is there any ship that you are wanting to go on, or any port that carnival goes to and NCL doesn"t

You are very welcome and glad that you enjoy the reviews. I hope you have a wonderful time at LFK. It really is amazing there and so beautiful.

Hmmm, that's a question I haven't been asked before. Interesting.

I have been cruising with Carnival a lot lately because it seems like whenever I look at the NCL website, it shows the same old ports we go to all the time and also ports that I don't really care for. I have been cruising with Carnival because I have found all types of ports that we have never been to before and it's new and exciting.

So...that made me take a closer look at this. I pulled up NCL's "ports" and where all they go to and it seems like they do in fact go to the same ports that NCL visits (or at least it was on their list). That made me wonder why I haven't seen particular ports on their site when I search for cruises. I dug a little deeper and found that a lot of those cruises need to be 10-14 day cruises to go there. Maybe THAT'S the reason why I have never seen them before. (We usually only cruise the 7-8 day cruises because it's hard to get away longer than that, plus anything over 10 days just seems to have me wanting to come home and it's a little too much).

So, since I now know this, I can't say that one has more ports over the other since they are the same.

However...there's the private islands that you can't reach unless you are on a certain cruise line...so, I guess my answer would have to be Carnival's private island of Half Moon Cay. :D It really is beautiful there and I would love to return there again some day.

As for a certain ship I want to go on for Carnival, nope, not really. I'll go on any of them at this point. I have been happy with the all and my favorite is still the Breeze (and now I have been on all 3 of them-Breeze, Magic & Dream). It would be nice to try the Vista out of course, but I'll do just about anything.

Up next....ROYAL CARIBBEAN!! Can you believe it? I'm expanding. ;p