I Belize in MAGIC! MITSUGIRLY revisits the Western Route. My Novel.

mitsugirly

It will be our first time at all of these ports and with this itinerary.

There's so many I love. LOL

Costa Maya-of course we love Blue Kay for the beauty and snorkeling and how close it is to port and it's a cheap day.

Roatan-My favorite has to be Little French Key.

Belize-Hmmm, that's a hard one because I love so many things we have done there. If you want somewhat adventurous and "different" than what you would do at any other port...then cave tubing. Adventurous in the water? Then shark ray alley and swim with the sharks and rays. Primitive and beautiful small island with snorkeling only? Either Rendezvous Caye or Goffs Caye. If you will be on the magic, then Rendezvous since that's the only way to get there is by cruise excursion with Carnival.

Cozumel-Oh my. We have been here so many times and everything is just amazing. I REALLY did enjoy Paradise Beach this time. It's just beautiful and huge with both the beach and the pool. If snorkeling, then Chankanaab Park (which has TONS of things to do there as well from the sea lion shows, paths with replica ruins, ziplining, pool and even the dolphin swims). Passion Island was a very beautiful place and I believe Carnival offers an excursion there by the Twister boat and everyone seems to love it.

Let me know if you want any other specifics about a place. Check out the reviews at the different places and see if any of the pictures entice you there. :D

Hi all!

Kim ~ you know this is coming from a non beach/water shopping loving older person so ... I really liked PV because it was so Mexican yet American eg a Walmart across from the port & dusty roads leading up the hills from the main street.. The 1st time I went solo so took a ship tour called "Town, Country &Tequila" where we saw the sights, went to Dona Hacienda where we had a nice lunch & saw the Tequila process.

When we went back for a week we went to Las Caletas, a lovely place where I think some people did water activities but we all had a nice lunch & saw the sights. On the fun boat ride over we saw a Whale & some Dolphins. We went to the Malecon a few times where there are sand sculptures, those Mexican high flyers plus it's close to Rio Cuale where there is shopping & some swinging bridges. Local families were wading down there. We rode there on the public buses, cheap & a different experience! Beside our hotel people were riding horses on the beach & some were parasailing.

I went on a tour where we had lunch at a place like Moderno, yummy!

One day we went to a bullfight which I know is not everyone's cup of tea. I researched it before I went & while there thought of it as a play with the different acts, only bad thing was the bull dies at the end.:o. It was interesting but I wouldn't go again.

In Mazatlan I did the "Sierra Madre, Concordia & Copala Tour". Those were nice colonial towns & the Mexican food was good, nice scenery too.

In Cabo I did the "Deluxe Coastal SIghtseeing tour" which went out to the Arch where we saw sea lions & we also did whale watching. People in the beach houses can see whales right from land there sometimes in the season.

I think what CAC104 means is the Pacific Coast water is not the beautiful shades of blue like the east coast eg Cozumel & the Bahamas. Who knows what lies beneath though & that'll be for you all to discover.;)

I have to agree about Dawn & Star, they're not my favs either. One good thing about Dawn was the itineraries, I did 2 great 14 day cruises on it, the 2nd with an amazing Cruise Critic group which reminds me if ever I was on a cruise you were on you'd get more than a wave of the hand from me!!

Star we did around Hawaii & what sticks in my mind is some gold coloured drapes in the atrium area but that was the ship we had our only mini suite on. We saw whales from our balcony too so that was exciting.

Nice to see a pop bottle, somewhere I was in the States lately I saw those little green Coke bottles that to me always tasted best.

Well I have rambled on. Looking forward to seeing what you will do on your MR cruise.

~ Jo ~ :)

I gave up pop in 2011 but if I ever find an ice cold Coke in a bottle, I’m gunna INDULGE!! Now my mouth is watering! 😂

Give up? Are you human? ;p I would die if they quit making pop.

Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are my two favorite ports on the west side.

The arch is called Land's end. The area is absolutely gorgeous. Our cruise ship sailed into Cabo very close to the arch. Google Lover's beach and Divorce beach. Quite a few whale tales were seen and harbour seals were jumping on to the back of the boat to entertain us! Once we took a water taxi tour there and to the two beaches. They are small secluded, natural and beautiful. The other time we took a water taxi to "The Office". Nice beach, good food, great ambience.

In Puerto Vallarta we took the ship's excursion (NCL) across Banderas to some movie famed island (don't remember the name). Loved it. It included everything...lunch, loungers, guided snorkelling, tour of island, etc etc.

P.S. Sorry I butted in, but I got so excited reading about my two favorite ports on the yonder side, that I just had to say something.

Oh that's a nice looking arch there! Some pictures shows it in the water and others show it by a beach. Can you go to a beach there or no? Or is it just covered with water depending on the tide time?

Lover's beach=wow! :o Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I need to find out more about these places! Sakari would absolutely freak to see a whale up close.

The office looks pretty cool...but crowded in all the pictures I see online.

I need to start researching now. You have me super excited!!! :D

Kim ~ you know this is coming from a non beach/water shopping loving older person so

In Cabo I did the "Deluxe Coastal SIghtseeing tour" which went out to the Arch where we saw sea lions & we also did whale watching. People in the beach houses can see whales right from land there sometimes in the season.

I think what CAC104 means is the Pacific Coast water is not the beautiful shades of blue like the east coast eg Cozumel & the Bahamas. Who knows what lies beneath though & that'll be for you all to discover.;)

I have to agree about Dawn & Star, they're not my favs either. One good thing about Dawn was the itineraries, I did 2 great 14 day cruises on it, the 2nd with an amazing Cruise Critic group which reminds me if ever I was on a cruise you were on you'd get more than a wave of the hand from me!!

Nice to see a pop bottle, somewhere I was in the States lately I saw those little green Coke bottles that to me always tasted best.

Yea, we have to have the amazing water activities. :D I think I always will no matter how old I get. I just love the ocean and water.

So when you did the tour for whale watching...did you see any? Are they only out during certain times of the year or always? I know in the Caribbean there's the migration season and that's the only time we have seen them before around the Grand Turk area.

It's not the beautiful shades of blue/green? Boo. I was not expecting that I guess.

I don't come across many people that don't like the Star/Dawn. I thought I was the only one. lol

Aww, glad to hear you would give more than a wave. You wouldn't believe how many cc people I have cruised with that will come back and say "I seen you on the cruise but was afraid to say anything". :( I'm very approachable and talkative once you get me going. I sometimes hate that people know who I am on a cruise because most won't end up talking to me. Although the social media group I was in, didn't know me from here so I guess that's not the reason why they didn't speak. I don't know. I tried. I got blown off. I didn't try again. (And some of them were from my home state here).

I LOVED the green coke bottles. That's what I was raised on and that's where my addiction came from.

You have to know that I think any cruise is a good cruise and I wanted to experience the Mexican Riviera cruise ports. I found the water rather cold and murky. We didn't have good beach weather and I only found one good snorkel trip, which I will have to go back to my actual photo books to try and find my pictures. I did enjoy finally getting to see those cliff divers in Acupulco, but most of the ports are very poor. We took private tours and it was like going to see a third world country, except for the resort areas. We enjoyed Cabo and took a boat tour out to see that Arch and the coast line....best thing there was my friends knew of a little dive sea food shop and they served the most humungous delicious shrimp I have ever eaten. I was glad I got to experience that cruise, but would not book it again. I flew SW with points so my airfare was free and stayed for a few nights with my California friends who also went on the cruise, which had a good discount, so I am not sorry I went. Go and enjoy. You can decide after if you would want to go back.

Hi again!

Kim ~ looks like the whales are there between Nov & March. Maybe there will be some stragglers.(yn)

I've gone whalewatching a few times on both coasts & have always seen whales but never the bubble feeding that you see in pictures from Alaska.

I'm looking forward to my Bliss PC cruise which is next November from LA to Miami. It's calling at PV & Manzanillo so maybe I'll get to see whales but not from my studio cabin, lol.

Carol ~ I liked seeing the cliff divers there too just didn't like that we had to stay there & shop when the show was over!

I was lucky my Celebrity Mercury cruise went to 6 different Mexican ports. Having been to Tijuana once back in the 60's I was afraid of MX so thought a cruise the best way to see it. We went on to do resorts on both coasts with no problems.

Ok, I just have to ask...I am just now discovering this....(a few things about a few of the pictures Sakari took while at Blue Kay)...if anyone is still reading.

Look a picture of this lionfish...did anyone notice this HUGE fish on the right side of the picture? I just noticed it and Sakari just told me that while she was taking this picture of the lionfish, that big fish swam up and gulped the smaller fish in the picture beside the lionfish, ate it and took off. I didn't even see that fish in the picture until now!

PB160090%20copy-L.jpg

Next...I seen her taking a picture of the lionfish again, but did anyone notice the lobster in the picture AND the peppermint shrimp? She didn't even realize the peppermint shrimp was in this picture until I just now showed her.

PB160107%20copy-L.jpg

It's funny how there's things that end up in your pictures that you had no idea at the time of taking them. LOL

Hi Kim,

We are doing the same itinerary on the Magic in February. I was just wondering what the beaches are like that you have been to at these stops. Is it a powdery sand or more rocky? Do you think I would need to bring water shoes?

Rachel

I just checked my cruise record, and the Mexican Riviera cruise I was on was in Sept. 2008.....How the time flies by. That might have been the reason we had a lot of rain and the water wasn't clear. I am sure in April you will have better conditions, and the ports are probably vastly different now.

What is the arch called? I need to start researching. Yea, not interested in a booze cruise. Sakari is not big enough to carry me back to the ship yet. So Cabo is a tender port? Eh

Making note of Banderas Bay.

Desert as in cactus type of desert?

I don't know if the arch has an official name or not. I've seen it referred to as the Arch or El Arco and it's actually at a section called "Land's End", where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez. I didn't think booze cruise would interest you but there has to be something similar for snorkeling and boat ride out to the Arch. Yes, Cabo is a tender port, but a very short tender ride, nothing like Belize.

Not 100% positive, but I think Puerto Vallarta is located along Banderas Bay. I do know that there are nice beaches and snorkeling at the off shore rock formations. Forgot to mention, on the way to that little beach we went to across the bay, we saw a huge manta ray.

I do have a few pictures that I've scanned (snorkeling area/arch in Cabo & snorkeling area in Puerto Vallarta) that I'd be happy to share with you if you want a visual.

I'm not sure about cactus since we never went inland and stuck with the beach areas (we also prefer beaches, reason why I love reading your reviews), but the mountains and hills surrounding the area are more what you'd expect in the desert southwest USA (dry and brown, not tree covered/green), especially Cabo. Again, if you'd like a visual, I'd be happy to attach a few of the scanned pics. Puerta Vallarta is an exception, it's surrounded by green mountains. All very pretty though.

Kim:

As always this was an amazing review. I so enjoyed reading it! I loved that you clarified with the Blue Kay people since it's been so different for everyone. Your other stops looked really awesome. Thank you for all of the time and effort you put into these reviews!!! Can't wait to read the next one!!!!

Sam

So I got lost and don't know if anyone asked about what they have done in these Mexican Riviera ports or not, but I will chime in since we will soon be there a third time.

In Puerto Vallarta we used Puerto Vallarta Tours and went to zip lining at El Eden. Check website for 2/1. Also can see my review on Tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1015495-d153492-r251542382-EDENVA_El_Eden_de_Vallarta-Mismaloya.html

Cabo, my husband Para sailed. Bargained with vendor right on the beach. Cabo coming up. Have booked Whale Watching on the Rissalena Catamaran.

Mazatlán one time we did a Pulmonia tour that we hired just outside the blue line. Another time we just hired a cab. Mazatlán is a beautiful, friendly town to tour. My son and DIL used Maria's Happy Horses on Stone Island. He went to the website and booked from there. It was just him and the wife with a private ride on the beach. Paid for group price but no one else showed up.

Ok first let me say how much I love your reviews. I usually dont post but , i was watching another review on ytube and seen the reviewer say how he found a rock !! Thought Sakari might get a kick out of seeing someone with it..

I think I read you not allowed to post links so you will have to add the you part to the link , lol.

tube.com/watch?v=Hf96x35tZRE about 6:15 is where he shows it.

Thanks for taking so much of your time to post your awesome reviews. I love them.

Give up? Are you human? ;p I would die if they quit making pop.

Oh that's a nice looking arch there! Some pictures shows it in the water and others show it by a beach. Can you go to a beach there or no? Or is it just covered with water depending on the tide time?

:D

Yes! The water taxis will be very happy to take you to those beaches and pick you up.

Thanks for another fabulous review. Your reviews are always great, and I've loved watching your little mermaid Sakari grow up. That girl has some artistic skills for sure! I know you're seriously proud of her. We are headed on the western route in March (Coz, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman). We've been several times and love it, this review was like an appetizer for me! Thanks again!

Kim, I knew you had a cruise planned right after we got back from ours in early November, but I've just now found this review! Now that I'm finally here and have you bookmarked, I obviously have a lot of catching up to do! It will take me a while, and I'll probably be pretty quiet until I do catch up, but catch up I will! I'm glad I found you!

I can tell you for sure that I won't be doing much catching up tonight since it is now 3:30 AM, time for even this night owl to go get some sleep!

You have to know that I think any cruise is a good cruise and I wanted to experience the Mexican Riviera cruise ports. I found the water rather cold and murky. We didn't have good beach weather and I only found one good snorkel trip, which I will have to go back to my actual photo books to try and find my pictures. I did enjoy finally getting to see those cliff divers in Acupulco, but most of the ports are very poor. We took private tours and it was like going to see a third world country, except for the resort areas. We enjoyed Cabo and took a boat tour out to see that Arch and the coast line....best thing there was my friends knew of a little dive sea food shop and they served the most humungous delicious shrimp I have ever eaten. I was glad I got to experience that cruise, but would not book it again. I flew SW with points so my airfare was free and stayed for a few nights with my California friends who also went on the cruise, which had a good discount, so I am not sorry I went. Go and enjoy. You can decide after if you would want to go back.

Oh my. I guess I didn't realize these particular ports are very poor and that would be something we would have to deal with.

I wonder if the water is always murky and cold like that since it's not really the Caribbean.

It sounds like the Arch is the place to go there.

Hi again!

Kim ~ looks like the whales are there between Nov & March. Maybe there will be some stragglers.

I've gone whalewatching a few times on both coasts & have always seen whales but never the bubble feeding that you see in pictures from Alaska.

I'm looking forward to my Bliss PC cruise which is next November from LA to Miami. It's calling at PV & Manzanillo so maybe I'll get to see whales but not from my studio cabin, lol.

Carol ~ I liked seeing the cliff divers there too just didn't like that we had to stay there & shop when the show was over!

I was lucky my Celebrity Mercury cruise went to 6 different Mexican ports. Having been to Tijuana once back in the 60's I was afraid of MX so thought a cruise the best way to see it. We went on to do resorts on both coasts with no problems.

~ Jo ~

I did see some whale watching trips that states guarantee spottings and from "Cabo San Lucas Whale Watching Season from December 15th to April 15th" which would be within our time frame. I'm not sure how they can guarantee something like nature but I'm going to investigate this tour.

What is bubble feeding?

Was the big fish that ate the little fish a grouper?

I have no idea what it was and didn't even realize it was in the picture until now and then ask Sakari if she seen it and she told me the story about it eating the other. It sure does look like it don't it? From the size of it's head, it looks huge compared to the lionfish.

Hi all!

Kim ~ I sure didn't notice until you just told us. Wow, what a great shot!

OTOH sometimes I take a picture & later wonder what the heck was that of?!!

Carol ~ that's what I was wondering too.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~

I've done that before as well...wondering what the heck I took a picture of until I zoomed in to see it (like the fireworm in this review).

Hi Kim,

We are doing the same itinerary on the Magic in February. I was just wondering what the beaches are like that you have been to at these stops. Is it a powdery sand or more rocky? Do you think I would need to bring water shoes?

Rachel

For the places we went this time, the beaches were fine without any water shoes (with the exception of The Money Bar of course, but the man made beach was fine, just getting into the water needed some shoes).

I used to take my water shoes with me everywhere I went and stopped doing that a few cruises back because they really were never needed. :p

I just checked my cruise record, and the Mexican Riviera cruise I was on was in Sept. 2008.....How the time flies by. That might have been the reason we had a lot of rain and the water wasn't clear. I am sure in April you will have better conditions, and the ports are probably vastly different now.

Fingers crossed they won't be too bad.

I don't know if the arch has an official name or not. I've seen it referred to as the Arch or El Arco and it's actually at a section called "Land's End", where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez. I didn't think booze cruise would interest you but there has to be something similar for snorkeling and boat ride out to the Arch. Yes, Cabo is a tender port, but a very short tender ride, nothing like Belize.

Not 100% positive, but I think Puerto Vallarta is located along Banderas Bay. I do know that there are nice beaches and snorkeling at the off shore rock formations. Forgot to mention, on the way to that little beach we went to across the bay, we saw a huge manta ray.

I do have a few pictures that I've scanned (snorkeling area/arch in Cabo & snorkeling area in Puerto Vallarta) that I'd be happy to share with you if you want a visual.

I'm not sure about cactus since we never went inland and stuck with the beach areas (we also prefer beaches, reason why I love reading your reviews), but the mountains and hills surrounding the area are more what you'd expect in the desert southwest USA (dry and brown, not tree covered/green), especially Cabo. Again, if you'd like a visual, I'd be happy to attach a few of the scanned pics. Puerta Vallarta is an exception, it's surrounded by green mountains. All very pretty though.

Good to know about the tender. I assume it's comparable to Grand Cayman then?

Absolutely share your pictures. Visuals are my thing (obviously) :D

Kim:

As always this was an amazing review. I so enjoyed reading it! I loved that you clarified with the Blue Kay people since it's been so different for everyone. Your other stops looked really awesome. Thank you for all of the time and effort you put into these reviews!!! Can't wait to read the next one!!!!

Sam

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it.

So I got lost and don't know if anyone asked about what they have done in these Mexican Riviera ports or not, but I will chime in since we will soon be there a third time.

In Puerto Vallarta we used Puerto Vallarta Tours and went to zip lining at El Eden. Check website for 2/1. Also can see my review on Tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1015495-d153492-r251542382-EDENVA_El_Eden_de_Vallarta-Mismaloya.html

Cabo, my husband Para sailed. Bargained with vendor right on the beach. Cabo coming up. Have booked Whale Watching on the Rissalena Catamaran.

Mazatlán one time we did a Pulmonia tour that we hired just outside the blue line. Another time we just hired a cab. Mazatlán is a beautiful, friendly town to tour. My son and DIL used Maria's Happy Horses on Stone Island. He went to the website and booked from there. It was just him and the wife with a private ride on the beach. Paid for group price but no one else showed up.

Thanks for sharing. I'll research them all.

Ok first let me say how much I love your reviews. I usually dont post but , i was watching another review on ytube and seen the reviewer say how he found a rock !! Thought Sakari might get a kick out of seeing someone with it..

I think I read you not allowed to post links so you will have to add the you part to the link , lol.

tube.com/watch?v=Hf96x35tZRE about 6:15 is where he shows it.

Thanks for taking so much of your time to post your awesome reviews. I love them.

OMG THAT'S MY ROCK I PAINTED!!!! :D How awesome is that! Thanks for letting me know.

Yes! The water taxis will be very happy to take you to those beaches and pick you up.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

mistsugirly, I just read an article in the LA Times about the white coral. It's a disease caused by warmer than usual currents and is called white plague or white blotch. It hits the stony coral and the coral can recover, but sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if the link will post, but if you go to the LA times website and do a search on it, you can read the article.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-florida-corals-20171210-story.html

Yep, I know more than enough about the bleaching rocks. I have the same issues with my own coral and it's a big part of the coral community and discussion. Although the coral in the ocean have a better chance at coming back after they have turned to skeleton, mine probably don't have the same chance (although we are always told to leave them in there for the possibility to come back...and I guess some peoples has before in their tank). :)

Thanks for sharing the link. It was an awesome read!

Thanks for your wonderful review you have a great writing style that makes us feel like we are right there with you!

Aww thanks. I appreciate it.

Thanks so much for the awesome review! Absolutely loved it as usual :) When do you sail next?

Thanks so much and our next trip is a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Thanks for another fabulous review. Your reviews are always great, and I've loved watching your little mermaid Sakari grow up. That girl has some artistic skills for sure! I know you're seriously proud of her. We are headed on the western route in March (Coz, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman). We've been several times and love it, this review was like an appetizer for me! Thanks again!

Thanks for the comment and glad you enjoyed it.

I hope you have a wonderful western cruise in March.

Kim, I knew you had a cruise planned right after we got back from ours in early November, but I've just now found this review! Now that I'm finally here and have you bookmarked, I obviously have a lot of catching up to do! It will take me a while, and I'll probably be pretty quiet until I do catch up, but catch up I will! I'm glad I found you!

I can tell you for sure that I won't be doing much catching up tonight since it is now 3:30 AM, time for even this night owl to go get some sleep!

Hi Nancy and glad you found the review. You're gonna need a hot minute to read it all. LOL Take your time and I hope you enjoy it. :)

Hi Mitsugirly,

Thank you again for your detailed and helpful review! My husband and I are taking our kids on their first cruise in about one week. It's a surprise for them. It will be our first cruise to the caribbean (he and I just went on our first cruise EVER last summer in the Mediterranean, and he and I have both been in the caribbean, just not on a CRUISE). He is an avid snorkeler, and I have been snorkeling just one time.

I have read through just a handful of your reviews, just enough to know that you are an avid cruiser, and that your daughter has grown up cruising. Your daughter is close in age to mine (age 10). We also have a 4-yr-old son. We bought snorkel gear for them this summer and they've practiced in our pool, so we plan to bring all our snorkel gear on this cruise. Both our kids are decent swimmers, and my 10-yr-old daughter is a particularly strong swimmer (she even has a mermaid tail like your daughter does!). However, neither of our kids have been snorkeling "for real." We are really looking forward to taking them. We'll be on a guided snorkel trip in Roatan, and we will snorkel at Chankanaab in Cozumel (among other things), and we plan to spend a day at the beach at in Blue Kay (at your recommendation), and we plan to do some snorkeling there. I looked through your many pictures and saw that the water seems fairly shallow at Blue Kay for snorkeling.

We're trying to decide if we should bring life jackets for our kids to use while snorkeling at Blue Kay and/or Chankanaab. Is the water shallow enough for a child to safely snorkel without a vest? I know that vests can prohibit being able to go deeper under the water, but I just want to pack accordingly, and I thought you'd be the perfect person to ask, since you are an experienced snorkeler AND since you've observed/taught your daughter how to safely snorkel.

I'd appreciate your thoughtful response, when you get a chance. We'll be leaving this weekend out of Galveston, and we're so excited!

And to others on this forum: PLEASE feel free to input! Thank you!

Leah

Edited by Lacourageuse

Hi Mitsugirly,

Thank you again for your detailed and helpful review! My husband and I are taking our kids on their first cruise in about one week. It's a surprise for them. It will be our first cruise to the caribbean (he and I just went on our first cruise EVER last summer in the Mediterranean, and he and I have both been in the caribbean, just not on a CRUISE). He is an avid snorkeler, and I have been snorkeling just one time.

I have read through just a handful of your reviews, just enough to know that you are an avid cruiser, and that your daughter has grown up cruising. Your daughter is close in age to mine (age 10). We also have a 4-yr-old son. We bought snorkel gear for them this summer and they've practiced in our pool, so we plan to bring all our snorkel gear on this cruise. Both our kids are decent swimmers, and my 10-yr-old daughter is a particularly strong swimmer (she even has a mermaid tail like your daughter does!). However, neither of our kids have been snorkeling "for real." We are really looking forward to taking them. We'll be on a guided snorkel trip in Roatan, and we will snorkel at Chankanaab in Cozumel (among other things), and we plan to spend a day at the beach at in Blue Kay (at your recommendation), and we plan to do some snorkeling there. I looked through your many pictures and saw that the water seems fairly shallow at Blue Kay for snorkeling.

We're trying to decide if we should bring life jackets for our kids to use while snorkeling at Blue Kay and/or Chankanaab. Is the water shallow enough for a child to safely snorkel without a vest? I know that vests can prohibit being able to go deeper under the water, but I just want to pack accordingly, and I thought you'd be the perfect person to ask, since you are an experienced snorkeler AND since you've observed/taught your daughter how to safely snorkel.

I'd appreciate your thoughtful response, when you get a chance. We'll be leaving this weekend out of Galveston, and we're so excited!

And to others on this forum: PLEASE feel free to input! Thank you!

Leah

Oh how exciting to have the kids along this time.

As for the life jackets...I would at least bring one for the 4 year old.

Chankanaab...the little one will definitely need it. The water is a little rough there and the bottom is very rocky and different drop offs and uneven surfaces so you will not be able to rely on being able to stand up too much at all there (except for when you first get in maybe). Chankanaab is pretty much a gradual drop off (and by gradual I mean fairly quickly and not just straight down). Although my daughter learned to swim at age 3, I still made her wear a puddle jumper life jacket until she was probably about 6-7 while in the ocean. You just can't trust the ocean with the movement and waves and all and I just felt better about it.

Blue Kay is probably the easiest snorkel I have ever ran across. I could stand up all the way out to the rocks if needed. You may or may not need one for the little one and only because he might need to rest and probably wont be able to stand (or if he's anything like my daughter when she was little, she'd just hop on my back and rest while I continued to snorkel. But they will definitely have an easy snorkel there.

For Roatan, if you are doing a guided snorkel, they will probably require everyone to have life jackets on and they will usually furnish them.

I hope you have an AMAZING cruise!!! (and the little ones too).

Really enjoyed your review I'm doing this same itinerary in March. I was watching a youtube video about the Magic, happen to notice someone picked up one of your friendship rocks, the minion one :D

How awesome is that? I wonder if this person is here on the boards. Weird how everyone is seeing this video. I never thought to look on there for reviews.

Mitsugirly, don't worry too much about how 'poor' the Mexican Riviera is....it is no poorer than Belize or Costa Maya etc and should not pose any issues for you and your family. We did a Mexican Riviera cruise and agree with the others that initially we were really surprised at 1.) the huge difference between the water in the Pacific Ocean vs. Atlantic Ocean. It is a much 'rougher' body of water (the Pacific). 2.) It is also much colder leaving from Calif than from a Florida port and it did not warm up until we got close to Cabo....bring jackets/ sweaters for sure. The ship kept the roof over the pool closed for most of the cruise 3.) The water is NOT the beautiful aqua blue as in the Caribbean.....it is barely even blue at all....the Pacific is murkier.

We did 'whale watching' in Cabo, and they too guaranteed we would see whales, and boy oh boy, did we see TONS of them! We were on a zodiac boat (a raft like boat w/seats that goes really FAST!! It was a really great tour too - went really close to the 'arch' and the beaches there and all along the coast. When they spotted a 'blowing' geyser they zoomed over to the spot, up close and very personal to the whales.....it was very cool, and an experience we will not forget. I highly recommend it!!

Have a great cruise, it has a different feeling to it than the Caribbean, but so very worth it!! Enjoy!!