Interior room question?

rumrunner67

My wife and I have booked our first cruise, the Exotic Caribbean Cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse in Feb. 2015.:D

Being our first cruise we decided to book an interior room (#8170) which happens to also be an accessible room, mid-ship. My TA contacted me and has advised me that there are a couple more interior rooms on deck 8 that have come available, #8288 being the best. He's recommending that we move because there is a good chance we good be bumped from the accessible room if it is needed.

We booked the accessible room originally because it is across the hall from our friends who are cruising with us and being on the 8th deck mid-ship was a great location for first timers.

My question is this; What are the odds of being bumped and if we are would Celebrity put us in a room that may not be as good? :confused:

Any input on this would be appreciated,

Thanks

Wade

I am surprised they allowed you to book an accessible room this far out. We were given one on carnival spirit but that was only a couple of weeks before cruising. Mmmmm what would I do? probably stay with it because of the convenience of being close to your friends, and just hope not to be bumped. That said though, if someone genuinely needed the accessible room I would give it up no problem.

My wife and I have booked our first cruise, the Exotic Caribbean Cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse in Feb. 2015.:D

Being our first cruise we decided to book an interior room (#8170) which happens to also be an accessible room, mid-ship. My TA contacted me and has advised me that there are a couple more interior rooms on deck 8 that have come available, #8288 being the best. He's recommending that we move because there is a good chance we good be bumped from the accessible room if it is needed.

We booked the accessible room originally because it is across the hall from our friends who are cruising with us and being on the 8th deck mid-ship was a great location for first timers.

My question is this; What are the odds of being bumped and if we are would Celebrity put us in a room that may not be as good? :confused:

Thanks

Wade

Wade, Welcome to Cruise Critic, I see this is your first post.

This is a tough question and it often creates mixed opinions. Some will tell you to move because there are limited accessible cabins on a ship and they should be left for those that need them. Others will say if the cruise line lets you book them then it's not your problem. There will be more space in the accessible cabin and a shower that you can 'roll' into.

There is another section on these boards for special needs, you might want to read some of the threads there to help you with your decision.

Personally, I don't park in handicapped spots because they are closer to the grocery store.

One way or the other, enjoy your first cruise! As you might guess once you see how many cruises some of the posters have done, you might just get addicted.

Personally, I would keep your current room as the accessible staterooms are HUGE! We were given an accessible room on our last cruise and it was great to have so much extra space, not to mention a doorbell! The only issue with them is that they'll ruin you for your next interior room as they're just so big.

I agree with the other posters who say that the worst that can happen if you get bumped is that you'll get bumped to something better, not something worse. Either way, enjoy your first cruise!

Hey Rumrunner - OK this is what happened with my mothers situation on a recent trip on the Century. We booked the trip about 8 months in advance. Two weeks before the cruise, during one of the storms in N.Y. my mother had fractured her ankle and had to wear a non-walking half cast. We had adjoining CC rooms and we were told by the Accessible Personnel for Celebrity that the ship would have a wheelchair on the ship for her that would fit into the room with no problem. Well asides from all the misinformation given to myself and my sister (who was rooming with my mother), the guest relations on Century stated the ship was fully booked including all the Accessible Staterooms. One of these rooms was booked with someone that did not have a handicap as per the guest relations person. She stated it was up to the passenger if they wanted to switch rooms with my mother which of course declined because it was a larger room :mad:. So I'll let you know first hand that they didn't move anyone out that was not handicapped for my mother who was stuck in a wheelchair that didn't fit in the CC Stateroom.

......My question is this; What are the odds of being bumped and if we are would Celebrity put us in a room that may not be as good?

I don't think anyone can give odds however your TA has offered alternate choices. Take a look at the deck plans to see what is above or below those choices. Is there a lounge below or above? Are the choices far forward? Things like that.

Ships are big but not that big where you'll lose your travelling companions if you aren't across the hall. "Meeting up" for an activity, lunch, dinner or a drink is fun.

That being said you can stay put with your present cabin choice and roll the dice. If Celebrity moves you it will be to the same or possibly higher class. Sometimes that is good and sometimes not. Example. You could get bumped to an ocean view but it may be on a lower deck below the dining room which can be noisier as some report.

In the end it's your choice. You won't be spending a lot of time in your cabin anyway. Sleep and shower. That's all.

Just enjoy your cruise.

Without getting into a debate of the propriety of booking a accessible cabin when one does not need one...

I stayed in an accessible cabin when we assigned to one a week or two before our cruise. The cabin was larger but I had mixed feelings about it as there was less storage, including closet space, because of the nature of the accessible features. We also found the accessible bathroom less desirable for us than the layout and functionality of a regular bathroom.

Bottom line is that we felt the accessible features were negatives for those that did not need them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies. We did change our room to non-accessible inside room just down the hall. Being first time cruisers I was thinking more location than taking an accessible room when we didn't need it.

I believe that for our first cruise we will be fine with the interior room, hoping that the cruise will be a great time.:D

Rumrunner:cool:

Thank you for your replies. We did change our room to non-accessible inside room just down the hall. Being first time cruisers I was thinking more location than taking an accessible room when we didn't need it.

I believe that for our first cruise we will be fine with the interior room, hoping that the cruise will be a great time.:D

As the wife of a man confined to a wheelchair, I thank you for moving cabins. You have no idea how many times we've been unable to cruise because all the accessible cabins were booked, and not all by those who need them. Thankfully, Celebrity now requires that you sign a statement as to why you need the accessible cabin.

Thanks

Wade

I would stay put- if they do "bump" you, as a previous poster stated, you might be moved to a oceanview or balcony cabin. Sometimes the cruise line "assumes" that some handicapped cabins will be available, so they put non-handicapped persons in those cabins. Happened to us. The handicapped cabin is much larger and I think you might prefer it to a non-handicapped cabin. The bathroom and cabin must be large enough to allow wheelchair access.

Why go to a cabin that is smaller and away from your friends.

Enjoy your cruise.

In my opinion you did the right thing. There are such a limited number of accessible cabins, you have now hopefully made it so someone with a disability can take your cruise.

If only the cruise lines could properly enforce these cabins being booked, we wouldn't have this issue coming up on the boards as often.

I had the option on a last minute booking of taking an accessible inside cabin. I knew they were larger, but I didn't want to take it away from a person who may need it, and furthermore I didn't like the idea of the roll in shower and water all over the bathroom floor. I think you did the right thing.

Thank you for your replies. We did change our room to non-accessible inside room just down the hall. :D

I would have done the same. Hopefully, the accessible cabin will be enjoyed by someone who needs it. One way or another, your conscious will be clear.

I would stay put-

Cruise a holic, the OP already posted that they made a change.

I would have done the same. Hopefully, the accessible cabin will be enjoyed by someone who needs it. One way or another, your conscious will be clear.

Cruise a holic, the OP already posted that they made a change.

Responded before I saw the OP.

Thanks

IMO I think if you are not handicapped then don't book a handicapped cabin. If at the last minute they assign one to you great. There are a lot of people out there that need a handicapped room and might not even make a reservation when they see no handicapped rooms available.

I myself like to pick my room, and the thought of them yanking your current room at the last minute would give me nightmares. You could get a better cabin but you could also get a worse cabin.

I would change and have the best cabin.

Norma

[quote name='rumrunner67']Thank you for your replies. We did change our room to non-accessible inside room just down the hall. Being first time cruisers I was thinking more location than taking an accessible room when we didn't need it.

Rumrunner:cool:[/QUOTE]

:D Thank you!

Keep checking for price drops and you might be able to get a cabin with a window for the same price (or less). :) Just call Celebrity or your travel agent (whoever did your booking) and ask for the change.

Edited by royalcruz

I have been watching the prices and so far to date no changes. Celebrity has offered their 123 promotion since we booked, which would give us the classic drink package with an upgrade to an oceanview or balcony room.

We were planning to purchase the classic drink packages prior to the departure date regardless of the promotion, however for a little more we good get an oceanview. My TA has told me there are oceanview rooms on deck 3 and decks 6-7 (Celebrity Eclipse) over looking the front of the ship.

I've been told that for first time cruisers we might not want to be on either of the these decks in an oceanview room and stay with the interior room on deck 8. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated and what oceanview rooms would be best if we were to move and take advantage of the 123 promotion.

Rumrunner :confused:

I have been watching the prices and so far to date no changes. Celebrity has offered their 123 promotion since we booked, which would give us the classic drink package with an upgrade to an oceanview or balcony room.

We were planning to purchase the classic drink packages prior to the departure date regardless of the promotion, however for a little more we good get an oceanview. My TA has told me there are oceanview rooms on deck 3 and decks 6-7 (Celebrity Eclipse) over looking the front of the ship.

I've been told that for first time cruisers we might not want to be on either of the these decks in an oceanview room and stay with the interior room on deck 8. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated and what oceanview rooms would be best if we were to move and take advantage of the 123 promotion.

The front of the ship can be noisy, especially when the anchors are dropped at ports. Also more motion then mid or rear of the ship. Go for oceanview or balcony guarantee (if available) A nice experience to have daylight and see the land and sea.

Enjoy your cruise.

It happened to me on the Emerald Princess for a Baltic cruise some years ago. We booked originally a handicapped room (actually unknowingly). When I arrived at Copenhagen to check in I said to lady checking us in, "that's not my room". She responded, "trust me, you will like this one better". Having never been upgraded before, I was shocked by getting a corner balcony.

So I would keep it, you never know. If they need it, they will move you.

Don't know the S class so I can't help you pick (I'm sure others will) but would highly recommend switching from the inside to an outside to get the drink package. I wouldn't worry about what deck you are on for a first cruise, you're going to love it where ever you are.

We loved our first Celebrity Cruise because of the package. Not that we were drinking all the time but I loved the convenience of not having to sign slips and getting to try things I might not have tried if I had to purchase. The water bottles before getting off the ship were great and the specialty coffees where a nice treat.

Upgrade for sure!

I beg to differ that you will love it no matter what room. If you are prone to motion sickness (and if you have never cruised you may not know yet) then a room very far forward is most definitely not a desirable room as the motion is felt much more very far aft or forward. No question. If you are prone to motion sickness a bad location and bad seas can combine into a 'I will never cruise again' experience. Been there; done that. Thankfully, ten years later DH convinced me to try it again and I got wiser, ships got bigger and more stable, and I now have 30+ cruises behind me.:)

OP, thank you for doing the right thing. It always saddens me when people make decisions based on what might be best for them, rather than what is the right thing to do - just because they can get away with it. Moving was clearly the right thing to do for a booking so far in advance. You did not realize this when you booked and you graciously moved your cabin. Kudos to you.