200 cruise day credits earned while on-board

calteacher

We have reservations for an 18-day cruise. At this point we have 190 cruise day credits. After 10 days of the cruise, we will have accumulated 200 cruise day credits. Are we eligible for any "extras" the last 8 days? Will we receive our medallion during this cruise?

Thanks.

Star Mariner perqs start with the cruise following the cruise in which you reach the new level. An exception to this rule is on segments of a Grand cruise.

So, no, you won't get the benefits of your 200 Star Mariner days during this cruise.

Medallions are based on actual days on the ship, and are awarded for 100, 300, 500, and 700 "heads in beds" days.

Medallion Program: You should have received your Copper Medallion for 100 actual days. The next level is 300 actual days (Silver).

Star Program: the idea is that you attain the 4 star level on the cruise after the one on which you earn 200 cruise credits.

Have a wonderful cruise! You might want to start thinking about what to book next for your 4 star benefits!

Sorry, Ruth, I was composing this as you posted yours. "Heads in beds": very good!

We hit 4 star and 100 "heads in beds" days early into our recent cruise. We were invited to the ceremony and given our copper medallions. I was surprised, as I expected that to happen on the next cruise. We also received our 4-star pins. But, as expected, no 4-star benefits. Those will start on our next cruise.

This is another exception to getting increased mariner perks during a cruise other than on a grand cruise. And no, you do not need separate cruise booking numbers.

If your cruise is sold in more than one segment and your cruise days during the former segment meet the next mariner level requirements you can receive the increased star benefits by doing the following:

Call the Mariner Society before the upcoming cruise and have them confirm your sea days. Ask them to note in your file a change of status when the qualifying segment ends.

On your cruise two days before the qualifying segment of your cruise ends go to the front desk and ask for a change of mariner status asking them to email the mariner society (remember they are closed weekends) for permission to upgrade you with the increased level of benefits.

After the mariner society confirms your prior request and validity they email your ship and your new key card is issued on the first day of the new cruise segment.

We did this in 2015 on a cruise which changed our star level from 2 to 3 and on our cruise in two weeks the mariner society has confirmed our level will change from 3 to 4 on the 19th day of the first 21 day segment. The new perks begin on first day of the next segment of the cruise.

Important: HAL will not automatically increase your benefits--you must request this before the cruise.

Hopefully I stated this clearly enough as I don't want anyone missing out on unlimited free laundry and 50% off wine packages! (in my case 4 star) The request was simple, only a 5 minute phone call. Enjoy!

This is another exception to getting increased mariner perks during a cruise other than on a grand cruise. And no, you do not need separate cruise booking numbers.

If your cruise is sold in more than one segment and your cruise days during the former segment meet the next mariner level requirements you can receive the increased star benefits by doing the following:

Call the Mariner Society before the upcoming cruise and have them confirm your sea days. Ask them to note in your file a change of status when the qualifying segment ends.

On your cruise two days before the qualifying segment of your cruise ends go to the front desk and ask for a change of mariner status asking them to email the mariner society (remember they are closed weekends) for permission to upgrade you with the increased level of benefits.

After the mariner society confirms your prior request and validity they email your ship and your new key card is issued on the first day of the new cruise segment.

We did this in 2015 on a cruise which changed our star level from 2 to 3 and on our cruise in two weeks the mariner society has confirmed our level will change from 3 to 4 on the 19th day of the first 21 day segment. The new perks begin on first day of the next segment of the cruise.

Important: HAL will not automatically increase your benefits--you must request this before the cruise.

Hopefully I stated this clearly enough as I don't want anyone missing out on unlimited free laundry and 50% off wine packages! (in my case 4 star) The request was simple, only a 5 minute phone call. Enjoy!

Yes, it's clear, and good to know. They way HAL sells combined cruises, there could be many people who become eligible on the first segment of a multi-segment cruise and don't know they can do this.

My understanding is that actual cruise days, not "Bonus days" must put you over to the next level. So for example if you need 8 days and the first segment is 7, your $300 in spending will not count.

My understanding is that actual cruise days, not "Bonus days" must put you over to the next level. So for example if you need 8 days and the first segment is 7, your $300 in spending will not count.

That is eactly what a roll call member was told by the Mariner Society.

That that is correct, thanks for further clarity quote=richwmn;54229587]My understanding is that actual cruise days, not "Bonus days" must put you over to the next level. So for example if you need 8 days and the first segment is 7, your $300 in spending will not count.

Tba

Edited by mysticsailor

This was our experience:

While on the Tales of the South Pacific last year, NOT a Grand Cruise, and our cruise was not in segments, just the straight 48 nights San Diego R/T, we received a letter in our stateroom the evening before we were to get to the 4 Star level, requesting that we come to the front desk the next day to receive our new key cards with the 4 Star logo so we could begin using our new benefits. Totally unexpected!! The room steward even put out the laundry form in case we wanted to use it in the morning. I think we were 31 days into our cruise.

We went to the front desk in the morning to get our new cards, which they did with a smile. I said I was surprised about all this because this was not a Grand Cruise, but I was told that they do this for guests on "long" cruises (whatever long means, I couldn't say.)

I think the process outlined by richwmn above is well worth a try. We all have seen examples of how inconsistent HAL can be, hopefully to your benefit this time!

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise, hope it's not your last!! m--