Royal Caribbean Press release

dkjretired

Finally a program I love. Soon I'll be able to get on board, find a deck chair and be able to keep it for the entire day....I will never have to get up (other than bathroom breaks). I can order drinks, food, play blackjack and watch the entertainment without having to get out of the chair....you know, maybe they'll even have audio/video of the excursions so I don't even have to get off the ship and, god forbid, walk. Yes, one of the things I just dislike on today's cruises is that I have to get up and walk to get food and drinks and all that exercise just wastes calories that could be better put to use around my waistline...and all that standing while shopping at the sales...terrible. I want to veg out on the cruise....let the world come to me, so to speak. And the best part, now I won't be accused of being a chair hog because I put a towel on my chair when I go for food/drink. If they would only provide a way to stay in the chair for bathroom activities, I'd be in seventh heaven....

You are sadly lacking in ambition. From 2030, Royal will be re-platforming the whole cruise experience. Going forward, they will engage in a creative partnership with a well known Silicon Valley company to virtualise the whole cruise experience. Why get out of your chair at home? With the latest 370 degree (sic) VR technology, everything will come to you. Imagine you're on board ship. With the fully gimballed Celebrity VR chair, experience the gentle rocking of the ocean; for $50 more, get the software upgrade that lets you experience the rolling of a Hurricane in your own home. Computer controlled tanning and wind machines simulate Caribbean or Mediterranean sun, all controlled by an app on your phone. Finally, Amazon's drones will bring every drink and meal to your chair side. As Royal's CEO boasted, this will be the first cruise line really to bear down on costs, with no cruise ships and no staff, save for the "industry leading" IT team driving this new world of cruise experiences.

Edited by Wiltonian
typo

You are sadly lacking in ambition. From 2030, Royal will be re-platforming the whole cruise experience. Going forward, they will engage in a creative partnership with a well known Silicon Valley company to virtualise the whole cruise experience. Why get out of your chair at home? With the latest 370 degree (sic) VR technology, everything will come to you. Imagine you're on board ship. With the fully gimballed Celebrity VR chair, experience the gentle rocking of the ocean; for $50 more, get the software upgrade that lets you experience the rolling of a Hurricane in your own home. Computer controlled tanning and wind machines simulate Caribbean or Mediterranean sun, all controlled by an app on your phone. Finally, Amazon's drones will bring every drink and meal to your chair side. As Royal's CEO boasted, this will be the first cruise line really to bear down on costs, with no cruise ships and no staff, save for the "industry leading" IT team driving this new world of cruise experiences.

Don't even need RCCL, Amazon could do this by next week! Why not... going after groceries, Rx distribution.... why not VR cruise.... wear VT glasses order via Alexa. Just need to get that drone delivery thing set up. They are half way there now. I just wish that the RCCL and Celebrity websites were functional... particularly Celebrity. Lucky that they have experienced cruise websites selling their cruises for them.

Finally a program I love. Soon I'll be able to get on board, find a deck chair and be able to keep it for the entire day....I will never have to get up (other than bathroom breaks). I can order drinks, food, play blackjack and watch the entertainment without having to get out of the chair....you know, maybe they'll even have audio/video of the excursions so I don't even have to get off the ship and, god forbid, walk. Yes, one of the things I just dislike on today's cruises is that I have to get up and walk to get food and drinks and all that exercise just wastes calories that could be better put to use around my waistline...and all that standing while shopping at the sales...terrible. I want to veg out on the cruise....let the world come to me, so to speak. And the best part, now I won't be accused of being a chair hog because I put a towel on my chair when I go for food/drink. If they would only provide a way to stay in the chair for bathroom activities, I'd be in seventh heaven....

Please be patient.

They are working on it, but it will probably take another season until they get around to replacing all the old deck chairs with these new ones.

crack.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Royal and Celebrity both need to fix their websites in order for people to have a frustration free vacation.

Absolutely agree! We were enormously frustrated with both Royal and Celebrity websites on our most recent two cruises. Also I go on a cruise to get away from 'technology'; I guess I am no longer one of their target customers. :( :(

:'):')

h - then again, we as passengers, will have the option to not use it, right?

Thus fulfilling the doomsday prophecy of what we may think about it regardless... :)

bon voyage

Like many new product and service options, I think you are correct that we will have a choice initially.

Wow, many posts here reminds me of all the hand wringing that went on when they:

Added Specialty restaurants; the food should be free!

Relaxed the dress code; One should remain formal all evening!

Eliminated formal nights; Here come the wife beater shirts and baseball caps!

Introduced auto tipping; But what if I don't want to tip!

Introduced wifi; But cruising is supposed to get me away from the world!

And now we have: Big Brother is watching me!

And the music goes round and round.

Wow, many posts here reminds me of all the hand wringing that went on when they:

Added Specialty restaurants; the food should be free!

Relaxed the dress code; One should remain formal all evening!

Eliminated formal nights; Here come the wife beater shirts and baseball caps!

Introduced auto tipping; But what if I don't want to tip!

Introduced wifi; But cruising is supposed to get me away from the world!

And now we have: Big Brother is watching me!

And the music goes round and round.

Hi Rich, Happy Thanksgiving

And maybe the biggest one of all that started all the griping, when Royal Caribbean acquired Celebrity cruises back in the 90s After that Royal was blamed for everything up to and including the designated hitter rule.

Hi Rich, Happy Thanksgiving

And maybe the biggest one of all that started all the griping, when Royal Caribbean acquired Celebrity cruises back in the 90s After that Royal was blamed for everything up to and including the designated hitter rule.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you Don!

So true regarding Royal Caribbean. After twenty years, we're still seeing those comments here. I see the same on the Princess boards regarding Carnival, even though that's been over 15 years. I seem to recall that Royal Caribbean was close to acquiring Princess back then, around 2000 or so, and Carnival swooped in at the last minute with a better offer.

Are they going to address the emotional service dog/pet issue aboard their 48ships and the emotional service dogs/pets eating in their restaurants ?

This is a very hot topic.

Emotional dogs and Service dogs are two different things, please don't confuse them.